Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009

Yautja Philosophy posted:

I'm not experienced or advanced by any stretch of the imagination, but I love hiking and want to start going more often once my car is finally fixed. I'm in Orange County, CA, and if I could be added to the list, I'd be really excited to find some people to go with. :) I used to hike as a kid all the time with my family, but since my parents are on the older side (mid-60's, I'm early 20's), we stopped camping when I was a teenager. There's a wealth of downright gorgeous places around here, from deserts to mountains to canyons, and it'd be nice to start seeing them again. I'm just always tentative about going alone.

Hey there OC hiker buddy, I don't have PM's, but you email me at SAManstrosity at gmail. I try and be out somewhere most weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
I'll vouch for Marmot sleeping bags and also winter camping. I was in the Grand Canyon for four nights over New Year's, hardly saw anybody, and even though it hit -9 at night I was fine in my Pinnacle 15-degree bag + liner just wearing a base layer.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
So I submitted an application into the Mt. Whitney lottery, hopefully I'll be going at the beginning of August with an overnight at Whitney Portal. I'll find out sometime in the middle of March, I suppose.

I'm in Southern California, so I've been preparing by trying to set fastest times on summits of San Gorgonio (via Vivian Creek), Mt. Baldy, Mt. Wilson (via Winter Creek), and San Jacinto (via Cactus-to-clouds). I know how to use crampons if they end up being necessary.
I'll head up to Yosemite when it's warmer and some of the roads open up again and do Mt. Hoffman and maybe some others.

Anybody who has done the Mt. Whitney trail with recommendations?

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
Has anybody had any luck with Yosemite permits this year? I've setup faxes to send at times like three in the morning and they still haven't gone through because the line's busy. Obviously the phone doesn't work either - should I just mail stuff?