Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Where can I find out more information about hiking in the snow/mountaineering? It's something I would like to get in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Thanks mate, sadly there is not much of a community in Australia as we have very little snow and even less challenging terrain. I have since heard that most Australian's interested/dedicated to it go to NZ and then up to the Northern Hemisphere and repeat.

But thanks for the recommendation for the book and websites, I'll look in to it a bit more.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Flaky posted:

this was from 2001 I think, though it may have been 2003 when 300 homes were destroyed in my city.

A fellow Canberra goon!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Shrinking Universe posted:

Wow, beginning of 2nd page, and 3 Canberra goons already...

I'm scared. :jihad:

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Shrinking Universe posted:

Went for an overnight stroll to the Cascade Hut, about 10km along the Cascade Trail in Kosciusko National Park (very near to Australia's tallest mountain!). Quite an easy walk. Winter is beginning to close in and there was about 8cm of snow on the ground at the highest point. We're hoping to do it again in winter with snowshoes. Wasn't that cold, got down to about -2c.

Spot a Canadian guy by any chance?