Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That sounds good. Bring mosquito repellent (I like picaridin wipes) and/or permethrin-treated clothes. Protect your skin from the sun; it's really strong there. Fast-drying clothes and shoes are best because they'll never dry out otherwise. Have a plan for carrying water.
I'll see if TSA lets me through with my aerosol cans of deet bug spray and sunscreen. If they confiscate it, I'll buy some once I land in Costa Rica.

I'm bringing a couple 1L plastic bottles to refill for water. I know to only drink bottled water so I plan to pick up some 1 gallon jugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love these things: https://natrapel.com/products/natrapel-picaridin-tick-insect-repellent-wipes

They weigh nothing and take up little space, and you can bring only as much as you need. I have a couple stashed in all of my bags so that I always have insect repellant without having to think about it.
Those weren't going to arrive in time so I picked up these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D42R2K7. The 2x 2oz was $5 more than the 1x 4oz bottle. :rolleyes: TSA liquid restrictions are so dumb.

alnilam posted:

I'm pretty sure aerosol is a no go even in checked luggage. There are plenty of non aerosol versions of both things though (pump spray for bug, cream for sunscreen)
I found an unused 3 oz tube of 30 spf sunscreen I bought from Walgreens in September. My preference is always for spray because the lotion tends to get into my eyes but I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Treat your clothes ahead of time with premithrin as well! That goes a long way for me.

Between that and picaridin lotion I almost never end up needing DEET bug spray.
I have cats so premithrin seems like a bad idea. Regardless, I’m flying out Thursday so the picaridin lotion I ordered from Amazon will have to do. (Apparently Target doesn’t carry it???)

alnilam posted:

General PSA to always close your eyes and hold your breath when using aerosol sunscreen. And don't spray your face, spray your hand and wipe it on your face (the directions say this but hardly anyone listens).
Yeah I spray into my hands when I use aerosol. It absorbs more quickly which is why I prefer it to lotion, especially when it comes to my eyes, doubly if I’m reapplying and already sweating.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Verman posted:

Best cheap wool socks, Costco. $4/pair.

Best quality wool socks, darn tough. $15-30/pair.
The Costco wool socks don't have that much wool, unfortunately. I own hiking/outdoor socks from both Omniwool and Weatherproof. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone recommend a Camelbak or similar? Until now, I’ve been using a drawstring gym bag with 1L water bottles for hiking and festivals, but the inside pocket tore off during my last trip and the shoulder “straps” aren’t great when I’m carrying more stuff.

My main concern is how small it can pack down since I try to avoid checking bags when I travel. The nylon drawstring bag takes up basically no space in my carry-on and every Camelbak I’ve seen is substantially bulkier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Can someone recommend a Camelbak or similar? Until now, I’ve been using a drawstring gym bag with 1L water bottles for hiking and festivals, but the inside pocket tore off during my last trip and the shoulder “straps” aren’t great when I’m carrying more stuff.

My main concern is how small it can pack down since I try to avoid checking bags when I travel. The nylon drawstring bag takes up basically no space in my carry-on and every Camelbak I’ve seen is substantially bulkier.
Thanks for the recs. Amazon has the last gen 3L Camelbak Mule for $92 so I grabbed it: https://www.amazon.com/M-U-L-Mountain-Biking-Hydration-Pack/dp/B07WKNZZQR/ It has the tube magnet and Reddit seems to think it's a great size for water capacity and storage space without being too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 29, 2024