Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I've had the urge to pick up hiking or backpacking for a few years now and haven't really acted on it. I currently live in central OK, which is pretty flat. Can anyone recommend some good parks for day hikes in Oklahoma, Arkansas or north Texas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm in your boat, I live in OKC but travel to backpack.

Southeast Oklahoma has relatively secluded places, and the rest of the Ozarks.

Wichita Mountains has decent trails, though once you've been a couple times it's pretty boring. They do allow backcountry camping with a permit though. I usually only go to get in a sort of "test run" to get me ready for a bigger trip. However, depending on what you're after it's definitely near the top of places to start.

I've seen nicer photos of more places in Arkansas, but I gravitate to "real" mountains much more so I've never spent time there. I suspect that's where the better hiking is in the region.

That's about the extent of my experience. I usually just go to New Mexico for weekend trips, taking a Friday or Monday for driving. It's only about ten hours if you hoof it (8 to Albuquerque). ABQ also has an REI. OKC only has Backwoods and Sun and Ski Sports which are both a little more expensive and have a much smaller selection.

I've never really done much hiking, aside from a bit of rambling through the woods where my family lives in New York. I went to Petit Jean state park in Arkansas a couple of years ago for a family reunion, and it was absolutely beautiful but because it's a popular park there were quite a few people. I'm hoping for a little more solitude. The Wichitas are probably a good place to start, since I'm mostly interested in some day hikes and getting out of town and away from city life. I also hear the burgers are Meers are good, and I haven't had one yet.

pragan4 posted:

Arkansas is really beautiful and is likely your best bet. I'd recommend picking up a book by Tim Ernst like this one and choosing a trail from there to start out.

I'll check that out. Arkansas is close, and as you said, really pretty. Aside from the crowds, I really enjoyed the weekend I spent at Petit Jean.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The Meersburger is not good, not at all. But don't let me stop you.

Damnit. I was hoping it wasn't another Eischens.

I'm gonna eat one, anyway, though.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I'm going to have a weekend to myself in Seattle while on a business trip, but no car. Any Seattle Goons able to recommend a good day hike I can get to on public transit?