Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Most of the places I work I don't have data coverage. I'm a Gaia GPS fan. Grab all the base layers I want and save for offline. Can adjust transparency. I know it will import kml files. I'll start it in the morning then forget about it until I want to tag a photo or landmark.

I also carry a Garmin 64 and make preload all my survey points into gpx files, but I've never really tried to combine the two systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

For minor heel slip, lacing adjustments can sometimes be helpful (i.e. lacing the boot so its tighter right over your instep), but I've found this to be mostly another non-solution up there with "wear 3 pairs of socks".

My feet are just slightly different sizes to be annoying. Most recent pair of work boots is 11W, left heel slips. I've had great results with a double overhand knot where the ankle meets upper and up to the second to last eyelet. Better than insoles, anyway, for me.

Looked for an infographic I'd seen years ago, how to lace for different feet. Can't find it exactly but looks like surgeons knot is what it is called? I wear 8" boots, so irritating to get them off end of day.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

I don't go to REI sales anymore because around me they turn the place into a clusterfuck of yuppies hoovering up outdoor wear so they can look adventerous walking their dog down main street.

I'm sure in regions where there's actually outdoor stuff to do the atmosphere is different. But if there's anything I want that doesn't need sizing I buy it from the website.

I live in a outdoorsy place (Reno) and it isn't much different. I went in day before sale to try on some pack & check out duffles, and it was insane inside. I was driving my old work truck, and was getting the stinkeye from people in the parking lot, worried my dented and dirty beater might park too close to their Land Rovers and sparkling clean jeeps.

Re: pack poster above, I'd be really tempted at that Kelty with the 20% off coupon. As said by Rolo, check the fit. I really want to like Osprey packs because I like the features, warranty and all, but I can't get used to the big airflow gap and trampoline. Feels like center of gravity is too far back. Get the staff to load it up with some weight and stuff it to fill it out.

I did pick up a Osprey 60l transporter duffel with the coupon. I like that the straps zip away unlike my North Face basecamp bags. I'm always getting my arms stuck in the carry handles when I'm throwing it on the back in a hurry. Also grabbed a REI big haul 40 for a carryon.

Photo from my latest super technical "hike." I live in that community in the background, so dog and I can walk out the front door and be on BLM land in 10 minutes.

The hills are nice.

Trying to get dog used to booties and her own pack but she's not having it.

And she refuses to pee on the short day hikes and is busting when we get back to the house so she can go in her own yard. That dog ain't right. She doesn't like being in the car, she won't pee on walks, and she's convinced coyotes are her new best friends (hence the leash).

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I work backcountry in the western us and AK. Usually carrying 10-20 lbs of survey grade gps on me and I still use the poo poo out of Gaia GPS.

I do pay for a Pro subscription but it's fine out of the box with the paid app-only, no sub.

It was also one of the few apps that would work in UTM coords, so I could integrate it into my work (see same coords on both gps units), but that's pretty niche.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

Different brands tend to use only the same set of lasts for all their models, so if Lowas fit you well for 9 years I'd say start with them.
This is how I learned my feet were mutating. I worse Solomons for years, and kept a pair that were bald just because I wanted them for size reference. Last year I tried to put them on and can't even get my foot in there without my toes scraping the box. Same w/ vasques - I had a pair in 2008 or so, when I tried them again in 2012 toes said nope.

For "cheaper" boots I've been buying 2 pairs at a time once I find something I know is a fit. I bought 3 pairs of Asolos in 2015, but when I went to replace them this year the new version of that same boot didn't feel right, and it wasn't a broken-in thing. So this year I switched to Oboz for everyday hiking w/o load, and a pair or Lowas (Tibet) for my heavier load boot. OP check those out, and Crispis.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The Aardvark posted:

On the way home we drove through Mojave National Preserve and the Kelso Dunes are loving massive. Even from four miles away they dwarfed the Mesquite Dunes at DV.

I have a story tangential to Kelso Dunes. In May of 2003, the company I was working for was hired by CalTech for something different: the professor wanted to send us out with a bunch of students to image the subsurface layering beneath the Dumont Dunes. They were comparing Dumont and Kelso, and gave me some samples from both that I still have, strangely.

The plan was to start work as soon as there was enough light, and finish before noon. The students were going to drive up that morning, leaving at rear end-early in the AM, but my partner and I drove up the night before and camped. Not much moon and it was awesome. We also drank a bit too much, which bit me in the rear end the next day when it hit 110F.

This is the view of Dumont.

I remember the GPR unit we had required 2 12v marine batteries. We probably humped 300 lbs of crap up to the top of this particular dune.

Here's my partner carrying a load.

And some students at the top. Sorry for the low-res dig camera shots from 2003.

We're setting everything up and the students are playing in the sand. Sliding down on their asses like playground equipment, when I hear what sounds like a B-17 flying over at low altitude. Just a monster low "brrrrr" that you'd recognize from any WW2 movie you saw in a theatre with good sound equipment, or if you went to airshows a lot when you were a kid like me. Partner and I are both looking up thinking something is flying east out of Edwards, and the kids are laughing at us. That was why they were there. The little sand avalanches they were causing were making this chest-rumbling sound you could feel a hundred meters away. Steady frequency and amplitude for longer than you'd think before it attenuated.

It was neat. We spent several hours taking seismic measurements and GPR images. It started getting hot and we called it a day before noon.

I know the CalTech professor eventually had several grad students do their thesis work there. Video here, shows the kids sliding down. I haven't found a good-quality recording of the sound that really lets you get a feel for just how BIG the noise is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcT8GGsmRJE

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Let me know how you finally select. I'm looking for something a bit bigger than my osprey 35 but not much. Mostly because I carry a lot more water than most folks I know.

I've been eyeballing the new small Flex Capacitor 25-40. It is probably a shade too small so maybe I'll get the bigger one (40-60) and leave it compressed.

My only gripes with it is a little "strappy", where I don't like loose ends, and no external pocket for a rain/snow layer. The new one has a little removable mesh pocket that looks ok but not great. I probably only care about that a couple of months a year so I should probably ignore it

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

My Saucony Peregrines with superfeet are the most comfortable shoe I’ve had. For wide feet I’d recommend them for sure

Are we talking order them in a wide or they run wide?

I have the worst feet and luck with shoes. I wear boots at least 4 days a week because I have some that actually fit. My current "walking shoes" are completely blown and I've been meaning to replace them.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I have used the Peregrine 7.0 and ISOs (which are really the 2019 9.0 version). The 7.0 were wide enough and a great shoe, but I found the ISO version uncomfortable in comparison. The newly released Peregrine 10’s have ditched the ISO system, and by most accounts it is one of the best versions yet.

Just curious is it the toe box you have a width issue with? If that is the case the obvious choice is one of the Altra shoes like the Lone Peak (the wide toe box is why hikers like them so much). If it is overall wide foot, maybe the Salmon Speedcross Wide or Hoka Challenger ATR Wide.

I have tried at least 15+ trail shoes in the last year, and most places have an easy return policy. Also you can find tons of YouTube videos that cover nothing but trail running/hiking shoes.

I've had a few good exceptions but in general I'm looking for a wide ball of foot, but narrower at the ankle. So usually I start looking for a wider toe box, but regular-width sizing. There's a couple of brands out there that seem to have a wide toe box but my ball rubs badly. That's usually where I get hung up.

Last year I tried a paid of Altras but i can't recall which but the ankle was rolling bad and I returned them. Salomon's were my go-to for 2004-2008, then suddenly they all fit my foot like rear end.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've been renting recently because I know I have a tendency to over research/touch but never actually buy. Renting let me try out real things outside of the store, where everything seems wonderful and flaws are easy to miss or forgive.

But I'm committed to this weekend being my last rental. I've picked up used and cheap stuff since September. If there's no good sales this weekend I think I get a cook system and then I'm done. Except for shoes/boots, but work will cover those.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I should be better with my money but I'm interested in either the 2 (preferred) or 3-person. That's a smoking deal. If not to much trouble.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I bought my Pentax K-50 about 6 years ago and the weathersealing was one reason for it. I've never dropped it in a puddle, but I've also never worried about taking it out in the rain and it's doing just fine.

Hi5 pentax in the rain buddy. I bought one when i was splitting all my time between Oregon (home) and Alaska (work). I never fretted about it.

E:. Want an inflatable seat for $9? Free, just pay flat-rate shipping.

https://klymit.com/products/promo-v-seat?variant=31853860454490

During checkout it'll ask if you want to buy a second for $8, or their X pillow. I didn't add those to see if under same flat shipping.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 11, 2020

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

This is the hiking and backpacking thread. Is there foliage nearby?

I don't like it!

That was just the easiest cactus for me to find in my photos folder. That's actually just outside of Irvine, nowhere special.

Any experience with the HydroBlu water filters? I have a Katadyn that I used twice. One of my work partners cracked his Sawyer Mini, and is talking about ordering us a pair of these HydroBlu Versa Flows that are half the cost. I don't know if this is "half cost = junk" or just "not a known name so no huge markup for an import copy" kind of a thing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Good on them. Isn't the member sale starting next weekend or something?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've got a project scheduled in SW CO late April. Far enough out I'm in the "wait and see" mode.

Client calls from Vegas this morning. I'm shoveling snow so maybe a bit grumpy. "Yeah man, we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out."

"NO! You committed to this, we have to get it done by X date. No reason not to travel. Hotels should be perfectly fine. I'm sure you can get food somewhere."

"How're things down in Vegas?"

*crickets*

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Luneshot posted:

It’s not an app, but I’m definitely seconding the suggestion of
your local NWS office.

The forecast discussions, although often a little jargony,

Mine, whomever is writing it is very informal. Yesterday it said something to the effect of "if you were getting used to the warmer weather get over it. If you want to do something outside better get it done by Saturday"

And you can tell said person is tired about wind advisory warnings for trucks/RVs. Pretty great and accurate.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Taking a survey crew to San Juan National Forest next week for a week-long gig. One of the guys is fit, hikes, works, he'll be fine. The other two, well... they make me nervous. Ten hour days at 9,000 feet is going to be rough on them, before considering the actual work is physical.

My last contract was in the Mojave north of Edwards AFB. Light work so I had my Osprey Manta 30-something but it didn't quite work for me. It is an older model that is "M/L" and definitely a bit too short for my torso. When I adjust it to longer length it borrows from the shoulder drape (dunno the real word) and the pack weight feels really far off my back. I carry about 4L of water because I drink constantly and those days I was carrying six.

One of the guys wouldn't carry a pack because "it was heavy and I'll sweat even more carrying it." I heard about this after the fact and blew my lid (and had to apologize because I really lost my poo poo). I'd told them that packs were mandatory safety gear, and a minimum of 4 hours of water in it. He went off on his own with 2 0.5L bottles into 100-degree temps, no shade. And he forgot his radio. Of course he ran out of water. I donated 6 decent packs to the gear room at work, in the hopes they'll get used.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Also we are thinking about moving away from car camping in the next few years and make the leap over to a camper. We have looked at hiker trailers and campers like the AirStream Basecamp. We are in our 40's and we have spent many nights sleeping on the ground (hence why we got cots).

A camper came up recently in my household too. My wife's back is hosed, and she'll probably never backpack camp again. We've been looking at tiny teardrop trailers.

Then I brought home one of my work vans, a 4x4 Sprinter, and mentioned people use those as conversions and motorhomes, and now she's been talking that up. Not so much for "camping" as extended road trips.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I just finished my week hitch at ~9400 feet or so.

I dont have many pretty pictures like I love this thread for, but I call this one "this is why we roll the windows up, Chris."

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

+1 Gaia (paid).

I work in UTM. Back when I started looking for decent overlay apps, there weren't many with that as an option. Now I'm just used to the app and cant see changing.

Also the desktop version can spit out some pretty nice maps in just a couple of clicks.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Coloradans, what's your favorite trail in SW Colorado/San Juans? I've hiked to Ice Lake already, one of the most sublimely beautiful places I've been. What else?

I was working in Silverton last month, and headed back in October. I'll put Ice Lake on the list, thanks.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I used to swear by Danners, but my foot got wider I dunno, 10 years ago? I have a hard time finding footwear. I still try them on every so often, but I'm in between Danner sizes.

Last year I picked up a pair of Oboz on a whim. Bought another pair this summer. They're a tad heavy on the lugs, but I love the way they hug my feet.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Hotel Kpro posted:

The weather was real crap in Utah yesterday, but was slightly less crap in Nevada. Went to try and do a mountain called Goshute Peak.

I was introduced to the Goshutes last year (work) and it was one of my favorite low-key spots. I spent a week up in that range and never ran into anyone.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

I got a few Colombia PFG shirts for that purpose. Long sleeves, SPF 50, hooded, and cheap from the local outlet. I think they were 25 bucks apiece but I paid less than that stacking a coupon with a special they had going on.

I love these because of the hood! Reminds me to start watching for a sale, thanks.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Kind of a joke post, but Glamis? If you've never seen that kind of desert before, it is a very accessible "whoa"

Hiking sucks though.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

I'm mostly interested in seeing ... geology,

Then you probably want to do Anza-Borrego.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Anyone happen to have experience with northern Nevada in early June? From a look around it appears it'll be hot and dry, but not insanely hot and dry (85F-ish).

Doing a road trip and was hoping to spend a day stretching my legs in the ruby mountains, which I think will still be pretty mellow at that time. But I was also thinking of doing a bit of exploration of the black rock desert and am curious when/if it gets nasty.

I guess it depends if they get any torrential rains again, definitely not going to be driving out there if there's mud.

I live in Reno and used to get out there quite a bit. It is very mellow. I enjoy my trips out there a lot but I don't have a lot of photos. I did find some work shots from a trip on the east flank of the Ruby's dated June 7 where I am wearing a lined hoodie and rain shell.

These are just work photos so nothing special to the siteseer.

It was a wet year. In June still had some green.

This series must have been farther east, because they are salt flats of Utah in the background.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Feeling a real need to visit the redwoods before something catastrophic happens to them. Hopefully Alvord Desert is drivable then too, I've been wanting to see it and Steen's mountain for eons.

#7 on your list - I did some highway projects where I was based out of Crescent City, which gets a lot of heat for being rednecky-methy, whatever. But just minutes out of town and you are in Del Norte / Redwoods parks and some great coastline. Great chill dayhikes all up and 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

For home and personal hiking I've finally gotten some Darn Toughs that I like. Also Marmots.

But I work outside which involves either flips between lots of movement (sweat) and standing still. And I have poo poo circulation in my feet so my feet are always cold when I'm standing around.
Settled on 2 types of work socks: these Cabelas wool blends are my colder weather preference. And these from Costco, which I wear in the summer as well.

Both are cheap enough that I don't get bent out of shape when I need to throw them in a bin. Also the Costco ones you can get them all in black, so I have 2 weeks of the same field socks that never need matched by type/color. Just one big pile of black socks. Goon representing.