Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

I'm hoping to do a hike to this area in Idaho later this summer. Not entirely sure though, might do something in the Tetons instead. These are from the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness

Some lake we just always referred to as the "frog pond" because it has a lot of frogs

Sky High lake

Some mountain meadow around there

That looks super nice. A friend and I are going to the Seven Devils mountains area. Not sure what we'll do after that. We might branch out into the Eastern part of the state later in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

lavaca posted:

I am back from Florida, where the closest I came to a serious hike was looking at the sky and saying "today would be a really bad day to hike the Wild Persimmon Trail".

Now I'm planning a trip to Idaho and Montana the week before Memorial Day. Where do Inland Northwest Goons like to hike in late May? We are going to Spokane, Missoula and maybe Sun Valley. I am familiar with Spokane and Northern Idaho but have no useful knowledge of Western Montana or Southern Idaho. Does Glacier have anything to offer this time of year?

I live in Southwest Idaho so I have no idea if Glacier is going to be worth going to. I've got a couple trips planned the last two weekends of the month, one of which is a multi-day adventure in the Seven Devils Loop. There's a trail you can follow but we're planning on going straight to the lake and then using that as a sort of base camp. There's a mountain called Cape Horn that I'll be doing the weekend before that, it's a couple hours outside of Boise. Haven't had much of a chance to explore more of Idaho but hopefully this summer I can get out a bunch more.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Ladybugs really like the cold rocky summits.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You could do X amount of miles, or it could be simpler, just get out X number of times a week and do however long you feel comfortable with. Or if you live in a mountainous area, it could be number of peaks reached.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
On my hike today I see these falls, thinking how much it would suck to tumble down that

Then I get to the top of them and see the trail on the other side

The Sawtooths can be a sketchy place.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
11000 feet up on some mountain (I would later find out it was named Wet Peak) I hear a "Baaah" and turn to see this adorable little guy

He (or she, I dunno) was so cute! :3:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Smoove J posted:

Lake Isabel area

Dang, your burned tree looks cooler than mine

I climbed up Thompson Peak yesterday, ended up going up the wrong couloir and got stopped about 20 feet short of the summit with a move I couldn't do. Downclimbed and eventually got to the summit.

View from... somewhere along the way.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
When we drove to Canada last month my mom brought bear spray over the border and brought it back with us. Didn't have any problems.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I really need to invest in a topography map for the areas I hike in. I ended up on some nameless ridge between several mountains with no way to traverse them without tons of downclimbing. On the other hand, I now have plans to hit up both the mountains I missed in one weekend. Though Kane Peak looks like one a hell of a hike.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Climbed this today and holy hell I'm tired.

On the way back I came up behind a guy and his kid and every now and then the dude would yell "Hey oh!". Is this to scare away predators? I wasn't in an area known for predatory animals so I'm not sure what he was going for.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Gambl0r posted:

That looks awesome. You hiked along the ridge? Where is this located?

Yeah, I basically went along about 10 feet from the top of it until I got near the high point and worked my way up.

It's in the middle of Idaho in the Pioneer Mountains. For some reason it doesn't have a name even though it's the 19th highest peak in the state at 11887 feet.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
drat, now I want to move to Colorado. Those mountains look like badass climbs.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Smoove J posted:

Climbing Mt Rockwell on Sunday and then Numa Pk next weekend and then I suppose the summer's over.

Nonsense, I'm planning on Montana's version of El Capitan on Labor Day weekend.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Another weekend, another mountain. It's Mt McCaleb, pretty much in the middle of Idaho

Not real sure what I was going for here...

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Climbed Lost River Peak today, sixth tallest mountain in Idaho, my 12th mountain summitted this summer.

It had the most godawful scree field I've encountered all year. Several times I'd take a step only to end up back where I started or sometimes further back. The one redeemable thing about it was being able to haul rear end down that slope.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Time Cowboy posted:

It was a laughable tale of unpreparedness, dehydration, and poor fitness, but I learned some basic lessons, and I'll be sure not to repeat certain mistakes.

Story of the year for me as well. On my latest adventure I decided to not follow the suggested route and after 4.5 hours and only 7 miles covered, this was as close as I got to my goal

Definitely trying again next year. Hopefully with better results.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Climbed up Devil's Bedstead East today. This was the funnest climb of the year, which I mostly attribute to it having practically no scree.

This high point was just kinda hanging out in the middle of the cirque. Didn't get a chance to climb it

This lake caught me off guard. I crested the ridge on the other side of it and it just appeared out of loving nowhere

Looking toward the Sawtooths

Looking back at the valley. Clouds were starting to roll in

I was probably a mile away from my car when I first spotted this wall of rain heading my way. I did pack a rain jacket, but I said gently caress that poo poo and hauled rear end back to my car and got out just before it came through.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Atticus_1354 posted:

I want to camp at that lake and go swimming in freezing water. Do they stock any of the high lakes in that area with fish?

It sounds like nearby Goat Lake and Kane Lake are stocked, but I think they stock more lakes in the Sawtooths than they do the Pioneer mountains.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So we had some snow here and I figured I would try to summit a mountain I'd never been up. Holy poo poo, I really got my rear end kicked on this one. It was steep as hell, I think 5000 feet in 3-4 miles. There was brush that was so thick I couldn't get through and had to backtrack several times. The snow alternated between being powder and some really icy stuff so it was always a mystery to see if I would sink a bit or be able to walk across. I ended up turning around after 4.5 hours and getting to the one class 3 area on the mountain. It was a 15 foot downclimb onto a knife edge, wouldn't have been too difficult but the snow was covering too much and I didn't feel like dying. I thought my troubles would have ended but the way back proved to have its own problems. The ground had thawed and was super muddy, ended up wiping out and scraping up my leg. Ran into my last problem about 300 feet from the base when I came upon a cliff. Took a while to find the way down.

The early morning approach, though you can't see the real summit. I guess that's why it's called Invisible mountain

Mt McCaleb off to the West, summitted that earlier this year

Goats! I swear these things can defy gravity

Getting close to the false summit

The real summit. I'll have to try again when there's less snow

Mt McCaleb again and to its right is USGS Peak. I've had a failed attempt on USGS as well, maybe I'll knock both mountains out in one weekend next year.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

My dad used to have a tradition where he would stand on his head whenever he got to a summit. I have yet to duplicate his feat.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Just checked up on my REI dividend and it looks like I have about $200 to blow this year. Probably time to invest in a GPS watch or something.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My friend has been wanting to get out and do stuff so this weekend we went to Poison Creek

Someone else decided to camp out in the wilderness of Idaho and came back with this shot

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately not.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
drat, I didn't realize Utah had such badass peaks to climb. I'm tempted to drive down on a long weekend and bag a couple.

Saw a bear for the first time since I got to Idaho

And it was about that point I realized I should probably invest in some bear spray or something.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

Good news up here in Canada, the Alberta government just announced $10 million to rebuild trails in Kananaskis that were destroyed by the flood last year! I know of at least one of my favourites, Ribbon Falls, was really demolished and still completely closed off. It's a shame because I wanted to take some friends to the backcountry campsite up there. Of course, there's always the chance some could be permanently closed due to a completely changed watercourse etc, but here's hoping.

The work is estimated to be completed in 2017.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/province-commits-10m-to-repair-flood-damaged-hiking-trails-1.1855192

Awesome! I'm flying out that way in a couple weeks, unfortunately I'm not going to have time for any hiking as the K100 is going to be my priority. I was supposed to run it last year but those floods kinda ruined that plan.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

That is so cool, you get to run Highway 40 through Highwood Pass down to Nakiska! One of my favourite stretches of highway in Canada, and also the highest elevation paved road in the country! Have you been there before? It's really gorgeous. Who knows, maybe I'll be there myself scoping out trail conditions.

I haven't been to that specific area, but my uncle owns a house in Canmore and I remember climbing up Ha Ling one year. Really wish I had some time to explore the area but I'm only going to be there for a couple days.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went out on Sunday to climb up a mountain cause I wanted to check out this giant cairn at the top.

Upon closer inspection it's loving huge.

Supposedly it was built in 1878 but no one really knows for sure. Ended up having to bushwhack far more than I expected, the trails didn't lead anywhere near the summit ridge.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Summitted Diamond Peak yesterday. It's the 4th tallest mountain in Idaho at 12,197 feet. Weather conditions were somewhat suspect when I started. A huge thunderstorm had just moved through the range and dropped a fresh dusting of powder at the top. There were only two other people out there and they decided to bail like 20 minutes in. I drove 4 hours for this so I figured I could at least get up the base a little before deciding things were going to suck enough for me to turn around.

Shrouded in clouds

The Riddler, so named for all the bendy rock

Things cleared up!

Lost River Range, the middle peak is Mt Borah

All in all a gorgeous day and those other guys definitely missed out. Not complaining though cause it meant I had the whole mountain to myself

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

Well, stinging nettle sure is fun. I got a ton of it in my legs yesterday while out helping on a farm. Avoid this poo poo, friends, I wouldn't want to be on trail with these nasty rashes.

I wish I had read this yesterday. I got some in my hand and my leg today while out on mountain climbing adventure. I can attest to the fact that it stings and it sucks.

Also found some creepy looking caterpillars

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Kidney Stone posted:

Stinging nettles aren't that bad, the itching normally passes in 15-20 minutes - but you always bring some after sun lotion and rub that into the affected area.

You're allowed to complain when you fall face first into them!

That poo poo stung for several hours. Possibly unrelated but my hands felt really tingly as the night wore on.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I heard there was no summit register on one of the tallest mountains in the state here.

Lugging an ammo box up several thousand feet on some sketchy terrain is probably something I'm only going to do once.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I was worried that the smoke from the fires in Oregon would be obscuring everything here, but the winds blew everything to the south so it made for a decent day. Along the way to the top, I passed hole in wall

cliffs of no real significance

and almost had a nasty fall about this far from the top

It might have been from all the running I've done this week, but I've never felt so exhausted after a hike. It was only 10 miles roundtrip but the last 3-4 were painful and slow.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Went out on another adventure yesterday.

The bridge was out but we weren't headed that way anyway

Found a random parallelogram cut into 10 feet of rock.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Tried climbing a rather remote peak in the middle of Idaho

Didn't make it to the top, but got a decent shot of Castle Peak

Also the Sawtooths and Boulder Mountains

And a sunset

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

Although, there's a small mountain here called Ha Ling Peak, it's a 5 minute drive from the town of Canmore, super popular hike because of ease and access. You can reach the summit easily in a couple of hours. I've done it in the dark twice.

I've done that peak at least once and I remember it being fairly easy and I have no idea how anyone could get lost going up that.

I spent yesterday at Baptie Lake working an aid station for some crazy 60k race through the mountains here

Saw one of these along the way. Things got tense when he turned towards us but in the end he walked off.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Spent yesterday in the White Cloud mountain range in Idaho. It's a gorgeous place. I would be circling this basin from the rigdelines, knocking out three peaks along the way.

Found an old mineshaft. I didn't have a flashlight and you never know if those things are liable to collapse, so I kept on my merry way.

Mountain Goat!

She walked right up to me before I decided to move on. Then disappeared over what looked like a sheer cliff.

Washington Peak. Named not for the first president but a freed slave who had settled here back in the 1800s.

Champion Lakes in the basin to the West

Bible Back mountain is the smaller summit on the left. Croesus Peak encompasses both middle and rightside peaks.

Castle Peak, looking menacing in the distance.

More lakes

This one looked deep as gently caress

White Cloud Peaks

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So last year I tried to hike up this mountain called Invisible Mountain. It gets its name from the ridiculous number of false summits that you encounter along the way. I ended up bailing out a half mile from the summit cause of some recent snowfall on a knife edge that made it impossible to see where I could safely step. This was as close as I got

Today I came back to the same spot

It really lives up to its namesake. drat near missed the summit too. Hit a ridge and thought I was at the top, then noticed the real summit off to my right hiding in some clouds. But they hosed up the benchmark :(

The clouds were everywhere

It sucked cause it moved all the normal haze out, but the low lying clouds obscured everything

And another grim reminder of the dangers of hiking. gently caress loose rocks

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Time Cowboy posted:

I have to drive two hours each way to get to any place that isn't grubby pine barrens bordered by subdivisions on every side. This summer each of my hikes has involved anything from three to five hours just to get to the trailhead; next weekend I'm looking at a seven hour drive (to Maine).

Same here, except replace grubby pine barrens with sagebrush and tumbleweed. I'm also looking at a long drive next weekend, although it's only 6 hours to Montana.

Smoove J posted:

Gonna use this long Labor Day weekend to climb Tinkham Mountain tomorrow. I wish you many miles of success & good weather, you hikers.

So much for good weather. We endured a couple thunderstorms that woke us up on both nights we were out. Though the weather cleared today and my friend was able to get some decent shots of the Toxaway and Alice Lake loop.

And as someone who uses summitpost a ton for which mountains to climb and how to get there, that is easily one of the best written pages I've seen.

Overlooking the Twin Lakes near Snowyside pass

Across the valley into the White Cloud mountains

Another lake we saw along the way

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I decided that Saturday would be a great day to try and climb Montana's El Capitan, in one day, from car to summit to car. I had been here last year and didn't really follow the suggested route and turned around after failing horribly. This year things went a little better, although certain questions plagued me throughout the day

"Why is it so far away?"
"Where the gently caress is the trail?"
"Is that a forest fire?"

It starts with a descent down from a ridgeline towards a creek. The trail isn't maintained very well as you have to navigate over quite a bit of deadfall and push past some areas that are way overgrown. Some areas are muddy from water cutting across the trail and it becomes a game of finding the driest route across. 4.5 miles and 1700 feet of elevation and Little Rock Creek Lake comes into view.

The trail wraps around the North side of the lake and you get the first good look of the mountain.

Somewhat further and the neighboring peak of the Lonesome Bachelor comes into view.

Once the lake ends, so does the trail. It becomes a 2 mile slog through some awful bushes in a neverending quest to find the cairned route that runs somewhere between the creek and the boulder fields near the cliffs. I got to the boulder field that sits right beneath the couloir I would need to take to gain the ridgeline and considered turning around. Other than being lazy I really couldn't think why I would turn around so up I went. Sure, the couloir was steep and a little sketchy, but why turn around right when things get interesting?

After a couple false summits, the real summit comes into view. Turns out it's two 20 foot tall granite towers, one's a class IV and the other a class V.

6.5 hours in and I'll be damned if I'm going to be stopped there.

A badass view of the basin plus the three Como peaks known as the three sisters off to the right.

Some indeterminate distance to the West, a fire was burning

Most of the time, my descents are quicker. Unfortunately, this was not one of those times. I had been hoping it was only going to be a 12 hour day and that leaving my truck at 6 would give me plenty of time to get back, shower, and go somewhere for dinner. 15 hours later and I stumble back to my truck cursing whatever terrible person had decided that a hike should end with a 500 foot climb up a ridgeline. This would make for a fun 2 or even 3 day trip, it just sucked trying to cram it all into one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Summitted Altair Peak.

It was a long hike http://www.strava.com/activities/194145765. Ran into two bull moose but they split before I could grab my camera. Then almost walked right into an elk but she left in a hurry as well.