Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey hiking goons, can I get some advice on how the gently caress to buy well fitting hiking boots?

I'm not doing a ton of back country adventuring or anything, but I would like to be able to hike for two consecutive days. I picked up a set of boots (that are getting returned now think) that seemed to fit really well, and I was wearing them around home/office/city for a week and a bit to try and break them in a little, but on the first day I took them out on a real incline, they promptly blistered big sections on the back of my heels, and my toes are not in the best shape either.

I would assume it's not normal for boots to do this, but my old boots did it to, and I'm curious if it's something I'm doing wrong in the sizing or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for the advice all, I do love the suggestion of trail runners, they would normally be my go to except I am honestly really enjoying the ankle support these boots give me. I've had some pretty bad rolls on my one side last year, and it's been nice having that to back me up. The rest of the boot qualities I don't really care about at all.

Sock wise I've been wearing Darn Tough, these particular pair were second time use, specifically because I didn't want to go into it with crappy socks. The boots were these guys I think, if anybody has strong feelings about Oboz I'd love to hear it: [https://obozfootwear.com/en-ca/products/mens-bridger-vent-mid-waterproof-1

Is there any trick to lacing them to minimize foot movement? Is the rule 'as tight as possible'? Does sound like I just need to try another set of boots though.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 18, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is REI the American equivalent of MEC (or more likely the other way around)?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Screama posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for camping/hiking in the Banff area during summer? Or anything in the Calgary area?

I have 10 days free July 6th to 15th. Visiting the US for a wedding but would like to visit Canada as well while we're in NA. We have no flights booked yet so we can go anywhere, but our rough plan is to hire a car and do a bit of a tour, staying 1-2 nights in different places.

We will have appropriate gear for doing overnight hikes for anything non-snowy (10C+), but also happy to just park our hire car somewhere and do long day walks. Am I way past the date of being able to book anything good? I'm aware this is peak tourist season but anywhere that's likely to be out of the way and less populated would be ideal. I don't mind other hikers, but would like to dodge crowds of families and winnebagos if at all possible.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

Kananaskis rules, there's a lot of absolutely beautiful hikes in there, check 'em out in All Trails.

I'd also recommend getting to Yoho; it's another hour of driving to get to, but Iceline Trail is my favorite trail ever. There's a hostel and some back country campgrounds along the route but I'm not sure how soon you have to book.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ryanrs posted:

Minivan offroading! What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/introduction/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Verman posted:

Holy poo poo. That was a good couple of hours on and off reading that.

Yeah his website is amazing. I could read about rescue/recovery hikes all day.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

I don't mind being out in the rain, you get to see poo poo in ways a lot of people don't. I just wish there was a way to wear a raincoat and not instantly explode into sweat to the point I'm just as wet as if I hadn't worn a jacket.

:same:

Even just adding the rain layer makes me get overheated so much faster on inclines too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How do you backpacking types deal with water? It seems impossible to haul with you, so I assume local sources (mostly surface water?) with a healthy dose of purification tablets or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hike, cards, just walk around the campsite, frisbee, Molkky, build a fire, maintain the fire, drink, talk about poo poo, go to bed early because it gets dark faster than you'd think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hey goons, what do you normally take for food if you're going a) day hiking, or b) camping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah Darn Tough's replacement policy is a huge plus, I likewise have worn out a bunch of them after years, but that's the shorter ones I wear every day. The longer ones I only use for hiking are still in pristine condition.