Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kaal posted:

Sleeping outdoors can be tricky for sure - you spend a lifetime in a comfortable, quiet, indoor environment and then go outside and it's really weird. Experience and tiredness helps, as do sleep aids like earplugs. Since it's been a few attempts for you, and you are understandably a bit in your head about it, I might suggest doing some hammock camping in your backyard if that's possible. It'll help to acclimate you and help your body recognize that common outdoor noises aren't alarming.

We did a test trip with our kiddo in our backyard when he was like 2 years old. About 3AM and I hear an amazing smash about ten feet away followed by swearing, grunting, and a second smash. Then silence. A minute later flashlights and voices. We say gently caress it, bring the kid inside. The next day I wake up and my compost box is smashed apart on top and the 4 foot tall fence on the other side of the yard is covered in compost. It seems someone was running from the cops, hopped the fence into my compost heap then ran face first into my fence on the other end of the yard.

I totally agree with the quiet environment thing. Camping near a river or a lake does a lot for the white noise factor. If all else ear plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bloody posted:

Yeah the Canadian website is uhhhh not that good. It's like a worse rec dot gov

I just used the Canadian reservation site for a trip to Ontario, they use the exact same system as the State of Michigan does. It works, I had no issues with the reservation. It'd be nice to have more than one potato phone photo of a campsite to base my entire trip on though. Luckily it was a great campsite. For whatever reason the State of Michigan system is shittier then the Canadian one, or at least it's more difficult to actually see what is open and where. Recreation.gov has worked for me, though browsing to find a campsite is the least fun activity I've ever done on a website.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kalit posted:

I'm going to the porkies for the first time later this week! Quick question, if you (or anyone else) happen to know, do I need to worry about rodents up there getting into the trunk of a car? Upon returning to my friend's car last year in Glacier, we realized that mice had gotten into the trunk and ate most of our snacks we left for the drive home :sigh:

I have never had issues with mice trying to get into my vehicle while camping anywhere in the UP.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any advice for Snowdonia? I'm looking at doing Snowdon itself as well as a couple of other day hikes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Pack for every kind of weather!

Thanks! Pyg track it is. We'll be coming from Betws-y-Coed area, so luckily there's a bus pickup there.

We've got a week to hike and explore, so if you've got any other off the beaten path spots, I'd love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone done Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) recently? Got any tips? I was advised to avoid the Miners Track, Pig Track, and Llanberis path and take the Ranger path up.

We've got a bunch of other hikes on deck but if you've got a lesser known favorite I'd love to hear it.