Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm still about 20 pages behind after reading a page or two a day since forever, but I have a time-sensitive question about trail photography. I think it would be neat to do so eventually, but it's way down near the bottom of my priority list for money and weight. I ran into a massdrop that expires tonight for something called the Intova Duo camera, a 5mp waterproof camera that costs 30 bucks and weighs like 1.6oz. My thoughts are that it's hard to gently caress up a $30 dollar purchase, plus it weighs next to nothing, but I don't know enough about cameras (or have the time to look into it) to know if it's a garbage purchase or not. I'm not expecting some DSLR quality that I could make giant prints out of, but the odd 4x6 would be neat to have.

I'll catch up to this page and start posting more meaningful stuff. I'm also moving to Ontario soon and hope to hit up Algonquin park and surrounding areas over the next few years if anybody else is local. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guarantee my phone will be worse lol, it's about 6 years old and cracked to poo poo. I don't intend to have a cell once I move, other than a prepaid burner for emergencies, so phone isn't really an option.

e. Compasschat - I stopped carrying a large suuno compass since I don't need to manually direct artillery fires, but there's no reason not to have at least a button compass built into a multifunction something or other imo. Mine weighs like 2 grams and slips on my watch strap.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 30, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm a fan of smart water bottles since they're pretty durable, super light, and have a slim profile. I haven't used my camelpack in a couple years because it's kinda heavy, hard to clean, and annoying to balance out its weight. My wife's water bladder also got punctured once while we were cycling which made us suddenly aware of 1) how comparatively expensive they are to replace, and 2) how screwed you can be if it constitutes all or most of your water storage capacity. Not to mention the whole having wet clothes thing.

Water's generally not a concern at the areas I visit though, so one or two 1L bottles on the outside of a pack have been more than enough, plus an empty 1L water bag on the inside just in case.

tl;dr: it's okay to like what I don't like!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a couple things over the weekend that just arrived today, namely a ULA circuit and Wildhorn Litespeed hammock straps, so I celebrated by loaded up my stuff and going to a nearby trail for a couple hours. I don't have a whole lot to say about the circuit that hasn't been said, but goddamn the hammock straps were super awesome. My old straps were just 10' cords that took a few minutes of fandangling to make comfortable. The Litespeeds take about 30 seconds by comparison, so setting up is nowhere near the pain in the rear end it used to be. They're intended for gathered end hammocks, but the loops were long enough for my channeled end. AAA+ would buy again :shepspends:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

technically legal

The best kind of legal!

Also, can someone please judge me? I've cut down my base weight down by over half by getting rid of a bunch of dumb poo poo. I'm doing 2-night stays but would like to work my way up to longer trips.

If money were no object I'd get some decent down stuff (UQ, TQ, jacket, hood) instead of questionable synthetic material, as well as a lighter hammock, but that would be more for comfort in greater temperature extremes than weight savings.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In no particular order...

quote:

- Why do you have a Wire Saw + Needle tin?
Needle is for darning using floss in case tape doesn't work. Wire saw is just a handy thing that doesn't weigh much so I held onto it. No particular affinity for it, I suppose, just like the idea of having one.

quote:

Mylar/candles

Those are safety items for when I don't have my gear with me (ie, bedding down somewhere) since it only weighs a couple ounces and can fit in a pocket. If I'm not going be separated from my stuff I wouldn't need them, though, you're right.

quote:

Also looks like you have both a pack cover and pack liner? Not sure you need both

The liner doesn't cover stuff in pockets and the cover doesn't protect the stuff against my back. Willing to be proven wrong on this one so I'll experiment at home one time when it rains.

quote:

you've got a lot of packed weight in clothes
Is that a function packing too much or just not having lightweight stuff? I don't know what more I could shed :ohdear:

quote:

Yeah, why do you have two stoves?
you could drop some weight in the cooking system

Wood burning primary, trangia is a backup. If I'm expecting to burn wood I could ditch the trangia and bring some fuel tabs. I'll also ditch the folding bowl to save an ounce and change. I like having the lid since it doubles as a separate pan. Cozy might also be an area for savings too...I'll start keeping an eye towards how much I really use it.

quote:

Also, what's with the Amsteel cordage?

Bear baggin'.

Thanks all!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Re: tenkara - I have a 12 foot shadowfire that just got earlier this month. Never used yet it because I'm moving in a couple weeks. I'm p much a first time fisher otherwise.

Re: pack cover - both the pack and cover are new so Im still experimenting with how I pack and haven't had a chance to use it in the rain. What you're saying makes sense but i can't really speak to an experience I haven't have yet.

Re: mylar - I'm convinced that if I have my gear with me I don't really need one. Going forward I'm probably only going to carry it for times when I expect to not always be carrying everything else (eg, day hike staged from a base camp).

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 17, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

REI has a house brand down jacket that's 650 fill and only cost 48 bucks. I ordered one earlier this week and it just arrived today. It has pretty decent reviews and is built way better than the Uniqlo jacket (which is actually more expensive). Should be a good three-season jacket as well as a good layer for winter.

Strap wise I'm a huge fan of cinch buckles. I personally have the litespeed straps by wildhorn. It does weigh in a bit at 14 ounces but I could probably trim down the 11' straps some to save weight. It cost twenty-five bucks, but you could build it yourself for half that. Either way it takes 30 seconds to set up a hammock with less fuss than Atlas straps and less dangling cordage than whoopie slings.

e. a word

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 1, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Since we're talking about building fires, what's everyone's thoughts on the Firebox Nano?

I impulse bought one on massdrop and it's really fun to use. Not the most weight conscious at 6oz (or price conscious for the titanium version), and arguably fills a limited niche role (if you can have a wood fire you probably don't "need" a firebox, and if you can't there are better ways of cooking), but I find it convenient and easy to keep burnin'.

My verdict is that it's a good buy unless you're seriously counting grams - it runs off a variety of fuel sources and is just plain fun to use.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 18, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

At least it wasn't a flute.

Used to play clarinet in grade school, can confirm flute players are worse than we are.

Ropes4u posted:

I don't hike to listen to someone else's idea of music, leave that stuff at home.

I wanted to get a harmonica to kill time around a fire until I actually heard someone go to town on one. If I need to play something that badly I'll just settle for myself.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

At that temperature I'd be concerned about the lack of insulation between your body and the ground - you'll lose crazy amounts of heat that way. I mean you'll probably live since it's only for a night, but those aren't dice I'd personally want to roll. Same thoughts for not having a filter or some form of water treatment, be it bleach or a filter (highly recommend the sawyer mini) or iodine tabs - odds are you'd make it back to civilization before an illness would incapacitate you, but not risking illness is probably a better plan. Plus carrying 8+ pounds of water sounds pretty blergh.

Food-wise, anything using the basic recipe of dehydrated vegetable + spices + instant rice/ramen + TVP will probably turn out alright. I've tried a few of the recipes on Andrew Skurka's site and liked them - good combination of cheap, easy, and satisfying, plus they're easy enough to modify to local conditions/tastes. Fresh fruit weighs a lot for very little energy, but if you're only going out for a day it probably wouldn't matter. Stove-wise I like to cook over wood (assuming small fires are allowed) but carry a few solid fuel tabs as a backup.

There's always a risk of a tarp tearing, but there's not a whole lot you can do to avoid it other than avoid setting up under snag (upright dead or dying trees). Duct tape works for field repair.

e. I was on mobile and read your post as minus 7 - 8 degrees C. With a halfway decent sleeping bag you should be fine.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 21, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

27 oz for R1.6 seems pretty bad also. I foresee having to just suck up the price and getting an EE UQ to stay warm in Canada.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Speaking of EE gear, I'm jonesin' real bad for a 20 degree revolt and revelation as an UQ/TQ. What passed for a 3.5 season getup in the southern states would be good for maaaaybe season-and-a-half now that I'm in Canada and everything is 50 shades of winter. Only thing stopping me is :shepspends:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My 2 year old is getting big enough to tag along on small hikes so I've started taking him on 1-3 mile loops. Got him his own small pack so he can carry a couple pounds of stuff which he's proud as hell of too :3:. I live near a few square miles of greenbelt with dozens of miles of small unmarked trails and dozens of trailheads in and out. It's impossible to get lost since it's bounded on all sides by roads and residential areas, which means every trip out is always something different. I found a small cascade waterfall a couple days ago so I went back with my kid today. We cooked some rice and beans on a large rock partway up the cascade, ate lunch there, and had a pretty rad time (even though I had to carry him back up the escarpment after he said he was tired). The fall colors were really vibrant and in some spots the ambient light took on a nice red hue. It's not much, but day trips are all I can do until I get winter gear. Herding a babby changes the dynamic since he often stops to look around or stomp on mushrooms which forces me to slow down.

re snakechat - the most I ever came across was a black coachwhip a yard and change long. The sucker was stretched straight out in the middle of a trail pretending to be a piece of deadfall until I got a couple feet away and saw scales. Considering the volume of rattlesnakes that lived in the area I consider myself lucky to have never met one :v:

e :widowsnypa:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I only got a pair of hiking poles this year and am a fan. On top of what's already been mentioned, they're handy for breaking cobwebs or dew laden branches on overgrown trails. If you hike for speed they can also help you go faster on straight-and-level-ish terrain too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I just went to Ranier this weekend! :woop: It was loving rad even though I only went like five miles. The group I was with wasn't ready or equipped to deal with the snow, but I just wanted to go outside and wasn't disappointed. It totes reaffirms that buying a buttload of cold weather gear was A Good Decision.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm finalizing my gear for my AT thru-hike next year, and I've got a question about hammocks.

There seems to be so much more to know than about tents, but also, it feels like maybe, just maybe, I'm over-complicating things.

This hammock (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html), which comes with a rainfly.

+

These straps (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html)

I use two carabiners to attach the hammock to the straps. That's it, job done right? No knots, no more equipment, just that. Then use two stakes for the rainfly guidelines. I'll also get a snake sack, which I'll put both the hammock and the rainfly into when I decamp.

That almost seems too simple. But does that sound like a good idea? Still working on insulation, I don't know whether I need an underquilt yet.

I'm not sure which hammock/tarp you're looking at since both links go to the atlas straps. I've tried the straps and they're alright, but they're way heavier than suspension needs to be. I have a cinch buckle system that attaches to trees just as quickly but weighs like 5 oz with 10 foot straps. Cinch is marginally easier to adjust and fine tune the hang as well since you're not tied to loop lengths, but the biggest QOL change over 2200 miles is probably the 6 oz weight savings.

Also would suggest storing the tarp separately when it's wet. Usually hanging it on the outside of the pack helps dry it off over the day, or at least keeps it from getting other things wet. The hammock itself usually doesn't need its own sack - if it's dry out it won't matter, and if it's raining the tarp is going up first anyways. Minor weight difference either way.

I just got a down underquilt this month and personally love it, it's amazing how much of a difference it made. I originally avoided it due to cost but ended up throwing more money away overall after messing around with a couple homemade pads and synthetic quilts that all sucked. The advice I heard and will echo is that unless you're Scrooge McDuck and money is no option, 20 degrees is the sweet spot for quilts. You can loosen it for warmer temperatures, layer for colder, and the weight penalty either way is marginal since it's all lightweight anyways. Appropriate clothing and tarp hanging can also buy another 15-20 degrees.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have an 11-ft darien from dreamhammock that that weighs 21 oz with suspension and bug net. A UQ/TQ system is perfectly valid and I personally prefer it to sleeping bag. Mine are from UGQ since they were the only ones able to deliver on a schedule. I'm happy with them, but I would have preferred EE since a quilt set would have weighted 10 oz less for the same price (and I prefer the aesthetics). EE quilts weigh about 20 oz apiece for full-length 20 degree quilts, UGQ stuff is 25 with an ounce of overstuff and weather-resistant outer shells.

I do need a new tarp, though. I like the idea of a winter tarp because there's like 4-5 months of snow where I currently live, but don't know if it's worth it or not. If I go for a standard silpoly hex or something it would be a comparable weight to what forkbucket has, maybe an ounce or two more. There's next to no backpackers where I live, let alone hammock campers, so I err on the side of comfort over weight savings since if I don't like a purchase I'm prettymuch stuck with it (especially after shipping and duties since i'm not in the uS)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I have seen EE on my research adventures, but drat am I really going to be spending $400+ on quilts? I really have to think about this. I guess I will be sleeping in it for 4+ months though, and I much prefer the idea of having a quilt on top instead of a sleeping bag, but then again, maybe some nights I won't be able to use my hammock and I'll be screwed with my quilts? Ah!

For down, yes. EE is one of the more affordable makers of good quality down quilts as well. The bottom third of many top quilts can be tied or snapped together to create a footbox which is all you need if you go to ground. Down underneath you can't loft and won't keep you warm, so quilts are generally more versatile than sleeping bags while being significantly lighter. The flipside of this is that an underquilt won't keep you warm on the ground either, you'd need some sort of pad between yourself and the ground.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

You can do inline filtering with the mini, yes. I have one but just use it to fill smart water bottles. The squeeze pouch is a handy lightweight bag that can carry water in a pinch if the main container is damaged, so I just hang onto it.

Also gently caress the backflush syringe IMO, you can do the same thing with a water bottle sport cap. Saves an ounce and is a lot less spacious and awkward to carry.

e. also super jelly about the AT walkthrough. Good luck!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 17, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What brand of parka/snowsuit do you use? My stuff doesn't really cut it now that we've just had the first real snow of the season in my hometown-du-jour. It wasn't so bad by itself, but the accompanying 30 knot gusts make it absolutely horrid. I went walking around outside today but noticed the cold when I stopped to set up my gear. Ended up losing a stuff sack that blew away which sucked, but it felt good learning I can rig my stuff in super adverse conditions.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's nice not having to translate prices into canadian dollarettes and plus it up by half again for duties and taxes :unsmith:

Also - shoutout to Simply Light Designs. I ordered a custom winter tarp yesterday evening on account of not wanting to die alone in the cold, and received a notice about an hour ago that it's finished and shipping today. He's also eating the cost of international shipping to Canada because I managed to dick up my address when ordering. Cottage industries best industries :toot:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm personally a fan of the firebox nano with some backup solid fuel tabs if local laws and conditions permit it, but haven't had the chance to try it out on a multi-day trip yet.

If you're willing to accept the marginal risk of explosion, it's possible to refill your gas canisters for under a couple bucks which may make them more economically sound that some alternatives.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Just make sure you don't get any spooge on fleece, that poo poo'll never be the same again.

Food-wise, eggs and bacon aren't necessarily unrealistic the day of/after resupply stops. Something like this has pan for a lid and isn't much heavier than the pot alone.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They're called bishop bags. You can buy them like that if DIY isn't your game.

Picnic Princess posted:

The Canadian Federal Government just approved a pipeline through Jasper National Park and Mt. Robson Provincial Park. I am so angry I have no more words to say right now.

Meet the new government, same as the old government :smith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

I do have a question though; assuming I want to use the top quilt year-round, would it be reasonable to buy like a 0f under-quilt but like a 40f top-quilt? It rarely gets below 20f here and I don't see myself camping in such low temps often. I am worried about being cold though, last trip I was in a 20f bag on top of a inflatable pad and I froze when it hit like 40f at night. It was pretty windy but still.

Self quoting, but

Guest2553 posted:

I just got a down underquilt this month and personally love it, it's amazing how much of a difference it made. I originally avoided it due to cost but ended up throwing more money away overall after messing around with a couple homemade pads and synthetic quilts that all sucked. The advice I heard and will echo is that unless you're Scrooge McDuck and money is no option, 20 degrees is the sweet spot for quilts. You can loosen it for warmer temperatures, layer for colder, and the weight penalty either way is marginal since it's all lightweight anyways. Appropriate clothing and tarp hanging can also buy another 15-20 degrees.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

I feel like committing to hammocking a thru hike before trying it out regularly is a disaster in waiting. Are you sure it's right for you? I enjoy hammocking. I enjoy camping. I don't think I'd enjoy hammock camping.

Srsly. At least go a bit early if you can and do a some overnight camps in a backyard or park. I was surprised how much I learned about pretty mundane but important things like how to quickly pack/unpack, where to stash things like shoes and water bottles while sleeping, dialing in suspension (I didn't figure this one out until like my 6th or 7th overnight), getting the right distance between your tarp and hammock, what changes in the rain, etc. Tent camping/fieldcraft experience was kinda-sorta applicable, mostly the how to cook/layer/not die in the woods, but hammock related qweep can be pretty different.

e. That said, if time and money aren't issues you can hammer that poo poo out on the trail. Something like a third of the AT thru-hikers have very limited experience, so I don't doubt you can finish it, but gear familiarity is (imo) a pretty big QOL thing.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 2, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't think you're as bad off as the hike-across-america dude. The trail is pretty clearly defined and well traveled, you'll be at or near a built up area every few days, and you have camping experience. It's not ideal to be unfamiliar with your gear, sure, but if you're as experienced as you say you are then all it'll likely do is make the process rougher than it needs to be at the beginning. Hell, there've been dudes who completed the AT without bringing any of their own gear, they just used discarded items from hiker's boxes. If you know what you're doing then equipment is going to be secondary to knowledge imo.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Does anyone else find that there are very few people in the world who have the "stamina" to be hikers?

Anecdotal, but relevant cross-post:

Guest2553 posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot with the wrong gear. I did the military route of the Vierdaagse Nijmegen with all the associated garbage military gear that goes along with it. Impermeable leather boots with waffle insoles? Check. A rucksack that can't be adjusted to sit straight and would always put most of its weight on one shoulder? Check. Heavy uniform that doesn't breathe and collects enough sweat to built a salt lick? Check. Part of a team of 11 people that has to stick together, each with their own different strides and pacing? Aw yeah, son. All to march a distance about equal to a marathon over cobblestone for four straight days, not including the 500+ miles of endurance training in the 10 weeks leading up to the march itself.

I was fortunate in that I'm built for endurance hikes because that poo poo broke a lot of people, now that I think about it. Multiple stress fractures in metatarsals, skin sloughing and/or toenails popping off when socks were removed, open sores forming on hot spots on feet/back/thighs etc. One dude chafed so bad he had to walk bow legged and the entire crotch of his combats was a blossom of blood, but god bless him he powered through every day and finished it. The worst I got was some foot fungus after a flip flop broke on the way to the living petri dish of a shower they had at the camp. Oh well.

I liked it so much I did it twice :sparkles:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Pen flares are pretty cheap and lightweight. I means guns can be fun and all but there's no reason to go full :911: all the time.

Or maybe there is :smugdon:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Or just use a hammock :smug:

vvv or be one of those crazy people who tie off their hammocks to ice walls or rocks

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Every once in a while I'll weigh stuff as a way to think of all the fun I could be having outside somewhere. My wife thinks it's kinda lame so I'll put on a show of cutting the handle off a toothbrush or something to make her roll her eyes :v:

I did go through a minor spending blitz last year but it was worth it to go from surplus poo poo to good quality gear. Going from 30 pounds base weight to less than 15 was a nice bonus, plus now I essentially have a second set of summerweight gear I can lend to people if I had friends so lonely please help.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Someone (probably Skurka) differentiated between hiking, where emphasis is on the journey and moving more efficiently, and camping, where emphasis is on the destinations and once you do when you get there. Backpacking isn't strictly one or the other but it's a handy umbrella term for the general concept and explains (in my mind) why some people will get into "no true backpacker" nerd fights over whose hobby preferences are more valid.

e. yeah, it's skurka.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 3, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

One of the problems with taking Ibuprofen or other pain killers is that they mask pain.

I'd be more worried about this than the risk to your kidneys - I've seen a couple people end up worse off after doing this in other physically demanding situations. After my wife gave birth the docs recommended a tylenol and advil because it takes the edge off pain without deadening it, reduces swelling that causes discomfort, and is easier to process since they're metabolized by different organs. With the disclaimer that everybody's different and this is one goon's unquantifiable opinion.

quote:

first aid kid

Mine contains:

Haemostatic gauze
tweezers
Tick Key
Liquid bandage (this replaced all my bandaids antiseptic pads because it does both and is versatile)
Butterfly strips
Athletic tape
A few q-tips
Unlubricated condom (trail nookie emergency water transport/purification, can be used to hold dressing over a limb)
Non-stick pads with adhesive tabs
Sting/burn relive wipes
Pepto-bismol tabs
Allegra
Ibuprofen
Electrolyte tabs

Multi-purpose things that aren't part of the first aid kit per se:

nitrile gloves (can be cut up to secure dressings/bandages)
ziploc bags (puncture wounds)
bandana (non-sterile bandage)
clean sport cap for water bottle (debridement)
mylar blanket

I stopped carrying a tourniquet because it could be improvised if really needed. I'll eventually add some immodium and benadryl for their fast action, and acetaminophen when I stop being lazy. Overall weight of the first aid kid stuff in a ziploc freezer bag is 5.7 oz for those who care about that sort of stuff. I recently discovered that a guy I work with is a wilderness first aid instructor, so I'll try to barter for a discount since knowing poo poo is usually more valuable than having poo poo.

Thanks for the excuse to dig through my gear :downs:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

khysanth posted:

That is some dense forest. I need to fly up and explore some Canadian wilderness.

I thought that was grass until you pointed it out :stonk:

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm in Calgary, so very close. An hour driving gets me to Kananaskis, hour and a half from Lake Louise.

I used to live there but never appreciated the proximity to the foothills/rockes until I moved away from home :smith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

If I'm taking a friend backpacking for the first time and they just want to rent a pack to see if they like it, should I be obligated to pay half the rental cost?

I partially justified buying a lightweight hammock, pack, and quilt set by telling myself it would be easier to press gang find a walking buddy if I had stuff to lend him :downs:

e. spalling

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

So I had the urge to go out yesterday and cobbled together an overnight trip to do the Highland Backpacking Trail in Algonquin park tomorrow. Just finished making my meals and oh boy if planning isn't half the fun :woop:

If I can find my camera I'll even bring that, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Trip report: I had a late start to the day and didn't actually hit the trail until 130pm, which put a bit of a hard limit of about 5.5 hours before dusk. I headed towards the Harness campground, a 17k trip that took four hours even. I picked a site on a point that had an awesome view, but it came at the cost of being very windswept. Had a very small meal after spilling most of it (what appeared to be solid rock underneath the stone I put my stove on was actually a convincing layer of ash) and a long if fitful rest because my hammock had a bit too much sag. The overnight low for the area was 40F so I mostly alternated between just right and a bit too warm. Woke up for good at about 830, but wasn't feeling hungry so I barely touched my breakfast before leaving at 1000. The remaining 19k took just over 4h, including a couple small detours for side trails and an outlook. I thought about going #yolo and doing it again in the opposite direction, but it was a long weekend and prettymuch everything was booked.

Bugs were very light and the temperatures topped out in the mid-teens with plenty of cloud/tree cover. I probably didn't drink enough on the move because of the cool weather, only drinking 1L every couple hours, but made up for it at camp. The water was stained an almost pretty shade of light green after filtering, but was otherwise clear with no taste. There wasn't much in the way of fall canopy where I camped, but the drive into and out from the trailhead had some great colors. I was only able to take a few pictures before my camera died (either it or the batteries were failing), so in lieu of pictures I collected some Random Facts (c) for your infotainment:

Total distance hiked (to nearest 500m): 36.5k
Total time on the trail (to nearest 5min) 8h15, including breaks
Breaks taken: 30 mins between two lookout and two water refill points
Time at camp: 16h30
Spiderwebs broken with face: 27 (all but four on second day)
Mosquito bites: 1
Bears seen: Zero, but at one point I heard some thumping and snorting from a thicket I couldn't peer into.
Total costs: $30 for gas, $12.45 for an overnight pass, $75 after FORGETTING MY GODDAMN HIKING POLES IN THE loving PARKING LOT
Total pack weight incl consumables: 19.55 pounds
Things I didn't need to bring: A dead weight camera (5.3oz), second fleece sweater (8oz).
Things I would like to have next time: thermometer. GPS would be handy but probably not required - trail was easy enough to follow and I had a good map, but I moved a lot faster than I needed to.
Dogs petted: 3
Dogs not petted: 1 (sorry weird looking pug mix)

This is the view I had from my hammock, poorly stitched together in MSpaint. It was pretty baller. I'm gonna order some poles from amazon and if it arrives early enough I'll try and to a loop of the western uplands before the season ends.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 7, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for the tip. I'm not much of a picture taker (as in, I just don't take pictures as opposed to sucking at it) but would like to eventually make some prints of cool places I visit.

I'll check with park lost and found when they open for the week, but I'm assuming the poles will never be seen again. I already ordered a replacement pair because I already have my second trip planned out and want them to arrive in time :getin: 70k, 2 night/3 day trip either this week or next week. Who knew it was as easy as going outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

70$ for poles? Forget that, try these Costco carbon fiber poles. I've had my pair for three years now and they're awesome.

At any rate, don't feel bad, that's such a common thing to do, I know three people who have done that exact same thing. In fact, we've taken to calling one of the guys in my hiking group "Where's my Poles" because he's always losing them.

:canada:, my man. Replace the .com with .ca and see what happens, then add 13% tax :v: Works out to about $68 USD. Usually this is the kind of thing I only need to gently caress up once before getting my poo poo together, at least this time it was something easily replaceable. The poles actually arrived yesterday so I'll probably go walk around for a couple hours sometime this weekend.

Nice pics too. AT is a bucket list item of mine, but my choices are traveling to the US to section hike a couple weeks at a time, or doing it in like 15 years if the concept of national parks still exists.