Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I got my first backpack in the rei sale. Is breaking in backpacks, like hiking boots, a thing? Not planning a particularly strenuous first overnight adventure but should I be doing anything before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Okay. So. We're going backpacking tomorrow. She's very experienced, so I'm in good hands.

How do I not be afraid of bears, particularly at night

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Olympic peninsula in Washington, just barely outside of the park boundary

E: Oh, right, that's the Olympic national forest. Hence the northwest forest pass

Bloody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 4, 2021

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

update: I didn't get eaten by a bear, the trip was a lot of fun, and we mostly just heard frogs and birds :)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't even get it. I'm there to hear bird calls and the faint trickle of streams. I get lost in thought or absorbed in the scenery. Obviously they're out there for different reasons, but I don't know what those are.

Unfortunately this is completely impossible in the Snoqualmie / north bend area

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

withak posted:

Good dog.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Are there any overnight hikes within a few hours of Seattle that aren't guaranteed to be snowy and cold in early November?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mostly just trying to hold on to the last vestiges of fall and squeeze in another backpacking trip before the season is over (for me). Elevation and distance can be whatever, I just want to get out again. I'm guessing the Olympics might have some good options?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dang and here I've just been tossing my wool socks in with the rest of my laundry without a second thought for years

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Lower Lena lake is 3.5 one way and beautiful. Can be extremely busy on the weekends, so either an early start or a weekday if you can swing it. Iirc we hiked in Friday after work and had our pick of campsites, but saw many people headed in on Saturday morning, at least some of whom were surely not getting sites

One of those groups was two dads and idk maybe a cub scout troop or something? Like eight young boys. And they were definitely starting too late for campsites

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

weekday hiking in the greater seattle are is one million times better than weekend hiking if it is at all possible to do any kind of schedule heroics to make it work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah the Canadian website is uhhhh not that good. It's like a worse rec dot gov

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Windy is excellent

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

Does anyone have any experience hiking with camera equipment (like a DSLR and some lenses, not just a cell phone.) I want to go in a couple day hikes on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state. Wondering what's the best way to pack. I am a novice hiker.

I regularly hike and backpack with my dslr and extremely highly recommend this clip to sling it off a backpack strap: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture. It’s been comfortable with a D7500 + 18-300mm lens slung from it on 14+ mile hikes and I am a very big fan of having my camera more or less always at the ready so I’m not slowing down people I’m hiking with to get shots on the trail

I really want to find a way to backpack with my 200-500 but I think it might be simply Too Big

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

speaking of old growth, are there any great spots in the greater western washington to see gigantic trees? my favorite spot in the past, grove of the patriarchs, has been closed for 2+ years now because the bridge got washed out back in 2021. I've got family visiting in a couple of weeks and I want to blow their minds :)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nope, it's at mount rainier, looks like that's out in the olympics?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Now I have a mental image of someone hiking and just screaming bloody murder the whole way.

fwiw don’t do this whether you’re hiking alone or with others

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We backpacked in some pretty heavy rain Friday night, and I woke up with a sleeping pad with a damp bottom. Is a wet tent floor an equipment failure, a campsite selection failure, or a bit of both?

e to add: our campsite had a minor amount of slope. the wettest in-tent area was also the most uphill part. the tent footprint was quite wet; the bottom of the tent itself somewhat less wet. the tent and footprint are both 7 years old.

Bloody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 11, 2023

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We recently got a durston x-mid 2p but haven’t actually slept in it yet. Was reasonably easy to pitch in the yard, and, while smaller than our 6 pound 3p tent, seems like a more efficient use of space

We were going to use it for its maiden voyage last weekend in Denali but then my partner snapped a trekking pole 4 miles in and a 2 pole tent is rough to pitch with just 1 (telescoping) pole (my z-style poles are way too long to pitch with unfortunately)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you do burroughs (or fremont lookout for that matter), do the return loop via the wonderland trail, it typically has practically nobody on it and some lovely views and terrain of its own

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We went to grove of titans with an early but not unreasonably so start and had it entirely to ourselves. Absolutely magical.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We did the hanakapi’ai falls portion last year. I don’t know how the backcountry / overnight part works but the permits weren’t bad for day use. Private vehicle permits were totally impossible, but the shuttle was just fine. As I recall the shuttle stop would be reasonable to walk to from hanalei, but it also had loads of parking available. We did the falls without poles and by god do I wish I’d brought them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We use an x-mid 2p now and love basically everything about it. Mildly regret not springing for the dcf one but the stuffability of the silpoly is nice and even at 2 pounds it’s still four pounds lighter than our old tent. Pitches easily and robustly, breaks down easily. I haven’t bothered unhooking the inner tent from the tarp so it’s just that much faster

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Good to know! I saw some inconsistent measurements given on his site and wasn’t sure. Our 25” pads fit quite snugly in the nonpro

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread; any Adirondack recommendations? I kinda feel like you can't go wrong no matter what you choose but :shrug:

I'm not even sure where I'm staying. A friendly acquaintance is organizing a climbing trip somewhere the weekend of the 23rd this month but I still don't really have any details so I guess I'm just going to find a camp site where ever I can and then just drive to where ever we'll be climbing. That's only a 1 day thing but I'll be there all weekend so I obviously want to get some hiking in too.

Any recommendations for an easier hike that I could wake up early as gently caress for, do in the dark and enjoy a sunrise from the summit?

I haven't been to the dacks this year (its pretty far from Seattle) but I practically grew up there and my parents summer there. As I understand it, it's been an outrageously wet summer, so bear that in mind for all activities - the Northville-Placid Trail, muddy at the best of times, is apparently just 3 feet deep in some places.

General hiking recs in the Adirondacks are always going to include the high peaks in the Lake Placid area, which will be very busy on the weekends. For an easier hike, I'd skip the high peaks themselves entirely and do the Mount Jo hike from the Adirondak Loj - 2 miles round-trip, with a sunrise over the high peaks if you timed it.

The park is very large, though, so you could easily be climbing 2 hours away. I feel like the place I used to always see climbers was kinda down towards North Creek (looking at a map, I think Starbuck Mountain and Black Mountain)? If so, Moxham Mountain is RIGHT there, and recently became one of my Adirondack faves - good mix of everything nice about Adirondack hiking, with decent views at the end, all in around 5-6 miles, and no crowds.

That said, once you have a better idea of where you'll be, I can probably give more recs!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ya your non waterproof options are more likely to be trail runners or similar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Hiking is cool + good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Anyone happen to have winter backpacking recs for Washington state? Not interested in dying in an avalanche, would prefer rainy as opposed to snowy, but am not opposed to a snowshoe adventure. I feel like some of the valleys in the Olympics should be good albeit very wet this time of year?

Not looking for anything crazy, just getting cabin fever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Good dogs, my deepest condolences. Losing adventure pup pals is brutally hard.