Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Do any of you have recommendations for a camera bag? I bought a cheap one off amazon, and I realized after a few hikes that it is way too cramped for everything I carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

xzzy posted:

That's a pretty big topic, unfortunately so without knowing what you do/don't like it's all guesses. If you want a frame pack look at shimoda or atlas. If you want a standard frame pack you can adapt anything to be camera friendly, the only feature you might want to insist on is a back opening (the side with the shoulder straps). Mammut makes some decent packs with that option.

If you want something in the smaller day hike territory it's an even bigger topic.. provide more details on what features you like and people can probably make suggestions.

Bottom Liner posted:

Day hikes or overnighters+? For day hikes, the Flipside trek line from Lowepro is solid and holds various gear really well (camera and not). For real backpacking trips, the best move is to get a dedicated camera insert/cube and pack it in a normal backpacking bag (along with a dry bag if you don't have a full bag liner). On the high end, Shimoda make nice stuff if you want to drop many hundreds.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP37...c7-93deae8f9840

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Camera+cube&crid=37GQHTHFZSVGX&sprefix=camera+cub%2Caps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Definitely not for hiking. They're too form over function IMO. The dividers don't hold gear securely, the bags are too rigid and not very comfortable for any real distance, and some of the materials can fail at critical points (like where straps attach to the bag). I've had to send 2 in that I use for weddings and I don't even carry them most of the day.

Ah yes sorry, it would be for day hikes.The photosport/lowepro bags look like exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the recommendations! :cheers:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bloody posted:

Anyone happen to have winter backpacking recs for Washington state? Not interested in dying in an avalanche, would prefer rainy as opposed to snowy, but am not opposed to a snowshoe adventure. I feel like some of the valleys in the Olympics should be good albeit very wet this time of year?

Not looking for anything crazy, just getting cabin fever

I can't really attest to the Olympics but I really enjoy the tiger mountain trails when I just want to go out and hike.

I always forget this exists but you can glean the status of trails from the washington trails website comments.

https://www.wta.org/