Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey all, I'm considering at least looking into backpacking. Is there any good resources for finding trails or backpacking trips to try? I'm in eastern Nebraska and it seems places to actually hike are pretty slim unless I drive out towards the western side of the state. Preferably free or cheap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Verman posted:

Alltrails is a good app/site to use for hiking and or backpacking. Some regions might have apps or websites specific to that region (ie wta.org for Washington State). The first page of this thread has lots of good info. There's also the gear thread for any gear related question you might have.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829&pagenumber=140&perpage=40

There are books, usually regional, for hiking and backpacking. It might be tough in Nebraska but the surrounding states might have more to offer.

Thanks for the recommendation, also from the other posters too. I've been browsing AT some the last few days and there's definitely some options within a few hours from me for day hikes and maybe 1 or 2 spots for an overnight or 2 night trip, mostly in Iowa. Going to try and get 1 or 2 day hikes in later in the month or in October.

Want to do a longer trip next spring / summer and possibly looking doing even more in 2024 or 2025.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hotel Kpro posted:

So today was a good lesson in being prepared. I've never before gone hiking in the middle of summer and had to pack like I was going to be in rain and snow all day. Thing is, I didn't think I would be in rain and snow so I had a bad time. A 20% chance of showers before noon, and that one cell carrying all the rain seemed to center right overhead. It started out pretty nice, with a bit of cloud cover

Sometime around 8 it started to rain and I was hoping I could wait it out and by the time I gained some elevation it would move on. By the time I gained some elevation, it had gotten colder and stayed just as wet

I had another 500 feet of vertical to do on a scramble with snow. With no gloves and my feet already wet, I got the gently caress out of there and went home. The rain tapered off pretty much immediately after I started down so that was nice. But going up in the rain, sleet, and snow and the first 2000 feet going down were some absolute miserable hiking.

Rain percentages are funny. A forecaster could be 100% certain it will rain, but only in 20% of their forecast area, so they will say there is a 20% chance of rain. It's not the only way they do rain percentages, but it is indeed 1.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m pretty sure this is an urban legend

https://www.weather.gov/media/pah/WeatherEducation/pop.pdf backs it up as 1 of the ways they set the percentage.

Using this, here are two examples giving the same statistical result:
(1) If the forecaster was 80% certain that rain would develop but only expected to cover 50% of the forecast area, then the forecast would read "a 40% chance of rain" for any given location.

(2) If the forecaster expected a widespread area of precipitation with 100% coverage to approach, but he/she was only 40% certain that it would reach the forecast area, this would, as
well, result in a "40% chance of rain" at any given location in the forecast area.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey everybody, been a while since I posted in here. In February I did a section / shakedown hike on the AT. Only had time to do a 2 nights on the AT, wanted to do more but weather was bad along I-70 so was delayed.

Was able to hike about 22 miles of the trail. And now on the 26th, I will be setting off to see how far I can make it on an actual thru hike attempt. At the very least I plan on pushing / forcing myself to get through the Smoky Mountains! Not sure if I'll start a thread here or not on the journey, but considering it!

Anyway, here's a photo of Long Creek Falls I took in February.