Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Tyger41 posted:

All these pictures are very inspiring. Also, like a level 10 nerd, I went and saw The Hobbit this morning at the first showing and now I really want to go find some "cliff trail" type hikes like the one where they filmed the movie, where they were on cliff edges and on ridges.

If you're near Yosemite you could hike Cloud's Rest. Just don't go right now unless you're really comfortable hiking narrow ridges in snow, ice, and wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002

Chroisman posted:

What are people's opinions on shock absorption in hiking poles? I've only ever walked with stuff that doesn't have shock absorption and I like that I can immediately put weight on the pole without any further downward travel after contact with the ground, however I need to buy new poles and the ones that I've found at a great price are the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shocks. I'm just wondering if I get them, if the shocks will be so great that it will rock my world, if I won't notice them, or if I'll hate the extra movement of the poles. I'm aware the Contour Elliptic Shocks have that weird non-spring shock installed just under the grip. I've used those really, really cheap poles with lovely springs in the bottoms before and I hated those.

I don't think shock-absorbing poles are worth it. Even if you get a good deal on them, it's just more poo poo to break and more weight to carry.

I'm like you - I like knowing that the pole won't give after I plant it. I'm sure I'd get used to shock absorbers eventually, but I just don't like the idea of them, and haven't found a need for them. And that's after having surgery on both knees already. If I don't need 'em by now, I think I'm OK.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002

Lungboy posted:

I'm going to be hiking in Tuolumne with a shorter visit to Yosemite valley in August/September this year for the first time. Can anyone experienced with the terrain suggest the best footwear for the trip? It will be day hikes with a light pack, nothing too heavy. I don't want to carry full hiking boots if trail shoes will suffice, but I don't want to be twisting my ankle in trail shoes if things get too rough. Will I need full gtx boots at that time of year?

If you're wandering around on the Valley floor, or just hiking established trails to/from, then you're fine. Elevation gain in Yosemite is largely either switchbacks or rocky steps. Anything with decent EV -- doing the Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Falls or hiking to the top of either side of the valley (so top of Yose Falls, Glaicer Point, Panorama Trail, Pohono Trail, 4 Mile Trail, etc) -- would require good footwear, but full boots are probably overkill unless you have ankle problems.

The other quirk of Yosemite trails is the massive amount of decomposed granite powder covering all the flat rocky surfaces. Even flat dry places can be slippery, and especially when it hasn't rained recently. Wear something with decent grip or bring poles if you're as uncoordinated as I am. The reduced traction caused by the DG makes it easier to roll an ankle, which might be another vote in favor of boots, but I've been able to get by with trail runners and poles on all my non-winter visits to the Valley.

Sierra Nevadan, your avatar is awesome. :)

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002

Lungboy posted:

Further to this, is there anywhere to hire poles in Yosemite? I don't own any (never even used any) and I'm coming from the UK so flying with them could be a pain. Are all poles created equal?

You can buy 'em in the park, and you can rent bigger things (snowshoes, bikes, tents). Your best best would be to call the Mountain Shop and ask them. If anyone will know about renting poles, they will. But I've flown with poles many times without problems. I cut a hole in a tennis ball and shoved one onto each end of my hiking poles to prevent them from poking through the duffel bag they were packed in.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

For my DSLR, I've got this thing:

It's got space for the body and a medium-length lens - I know a 50 will fit just fine, and an 85 would probably work. I attach it to the waistbelt of my pack, so I don't have to take the pack off to get to the camera, but it's protected in case I need to do any scrambling or banging about.

I was gonna suggest this, too. This holster-type camera case works great for hiking. I keep it on my belt, and I've got it adjusted so that the hip belt from the backpack doesn't interfere with it. I can pull the camera out, snap a pic, and get it back in the holster in about 3 seconds flat. If I knew how to sew, I'd just attach it to the backpack's hip belt somehow. But I don't trust my sewing skills well enough to hang a couple thousand dollars of delicate electronics and glass off it and subject it to extended periods of bouncing and bumping.

If you don't mind looking like a complete idiot, they also make a chest harness for it. This would likely interfere more with a pack, though, and I can't imagine it'd be too comfortable for the ladies to hike in, either.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
You lucky S.O.B.! I would love to do the JMT some day.

Why'd you choose to hike southbound? Any particular reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
This dude has a 13-part travelogue of hiking the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevadas: http://fordsbasement.com/tag/john-muir-trail/

Gonna have to scroll around a bit to find all the parts, but they're there.