Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not exactly 200 feet from the water there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Had to google that, seems like a US thing? In Sweden and can’t recall any similar recommendations.

It doesn't have anything to do with what country you are in, camping at least a few hundred feet from bodies of water is generally good practice because ecosystems at the edge of the water tend to be more delicate. Though it looks like there was a picnic table there so maybe you were on a developed site.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ex Officios do own if you are a chubby man (probably also the thread mascot), not sure about any other people shapes tho.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just moved to the San Francisco peninsula. Where can I backpack in & hammock camp overnight nearby? I see a lot of land in the area owned by regional water authorities, and of course there's the Golden Gate national recreation area, but can I dispersed camp in either of those? Are there general rules of thumb for dispersed camping in California?

There is no dispersed camping nearby. Probably national forest in the Sierra/foothills is the closest for that?

The Bay Area is loving crowded, make backpacking reservations as early as you can if you want to go anywhere even slightly popular.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can also stop at or call a ranger station and ask what they recommend for dispersed camping areas for your particular goals/limitations. They honest to god love talking about those kinds of questions. It's like going to a record store and asking everyone there what Velvet Underground album you should buy.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 23, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coming from the Midwest it still blows my mind that I can leave my apartment near downtown Oakland and be hiking in Redwoods in less than 30 mins.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

So this bloke is hunting animals on a hiking trail and shooting stuff without identifying it :psyduck:

Also how the hell do you shoot someone in the chest and claim you thought he was a turkey. At least say a deer or something jesus christ.

Maybe it's turkey season? Might be in serious trouble if he admitted to shooting at a deer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gun nuts are the worst.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also with MREs there has never been a person who was interested in eating every single item in every meal so now you are packing out uneaten food in addition to all of the trash.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is definitely survey links. Survey chain is 66 feet and made of 100 links.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 7, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good dog.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Should brought more duct tape.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The yellow tadka dal bags rule.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actual navigational cairs are usually pretty substantial. No one officially maintaining trails should be relying on an artfully-balanced single column of rocks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

The hiking community should probably just use two terms to describe the different things. Cairns are made for trailmarking, and they're good. Rock stacks are made for fun, and they're bad.

Need to be careful that your anti-rockstack campaign isn't going around kicking over cairns.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Trekking poles on a day hike are amazing when you get to that last steep downhill stretch at the end of the day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have spent the last ~2 years phasing in Darn Tough light cushion socks and getting rid of lovely cotton socks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the NPS needs your money more than you do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Whoa, I'm not familiar with that part of Cleveland.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Snake bite.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think you will find that it is everyone else’s dogs who are the problem, mine are fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hotel Kpro posted:

a 36 mile dayhike up one of Wyoming's tallest peaks

:wth:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That sounds awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Recommend not going if you will be that close to a closed area. poo poo can change fast.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
OpenCycleMap and TF Outdoors are both decent hiking/biking-friendly reskins of OpenStreetMap data.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME rangers fuckin love talking to weirdos about trails.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My Caltopo defaults to OSM w/ shaded relief and fire activity overlays. It owns.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick is to keep a cat locked in your car at the trailhead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone post that Halloween costume meme of the unprepared hiker.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Congrats on knowing your own limits and deciding not to become a SAR statistic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
windy.social

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You probably aren't a member.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Saw this today. On one hand, I don’t think setting an entire goddamn tree on fire should be plan A for getting rescued, but on the other I really hate that someone that was desperate for rescue (even though they went about it in a stupid way) is getting fined this much while most of the people who start fires just by being shitheads get away with it.

Buried at the end is the revelation that the entire situation was probably the result of a google maps error: he planned to do the moderate Cabin Loop but ended up at the strenuous Taylor Cabin Loop which is located 50 miles away from the Cabin Loop.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also important to make sure you aren't 50 miles away from the trail you planned for.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He should have just said that he saw a gender reveal party fleeing in the distance when he came upon the fire.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think if you are in the market for a GPS beacon / satellite communicator then you should probably get a real one, but the iPhone version is probably great for people who otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I usually get around that problem by huffing and puffing after any hill climb at any elevation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Caltopo is good for doing cool stuff with map layers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hiking poles are like having 4WD for your feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

COPE 27 posted:

Is there an easy way to search whether there are any locations not raining within like a 5 hour drive next weekend

Move to California. Between May and November there will be zero locations within 5 hours where it will be raining next weekend.