Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalker
Feb 2, 2003

Nerdmann posted:

So I love to hike and do a lot of 5-12 mile dayhikes here in Southwestern Virginia (particularly on The AT) and have done a few backpacking trips like Mt.Rogers. Just did a quick trip to Dragon's Tooth off the AT on Monday, tomorrow I am doing a 6 mile loop at Bottom creek Gorge and next Monday doing 11 miles at Rock Castle Gorge since I am on college break.

I am a super lightweight day hiker though and have trouble with my knees due to running so backpacking kills me. I see snow around here in the mountains but nothing compared to most of these pics, what a difference! But I do think the Blue Ridge Mountains are gorgeous, and we have some pretty amazing hikes if I may say so, is it cool if I share some photos and adventures as well, even if they are relatively tame comparatively?

And I do a lot of trail magic in the spring since Troutville is such a trail town and I run into a million thru-hikers, can that also be shared here?

I was just in Grayson Highlands park about two weeks ago, did the Pine mountain loop on an overnight trip. Only meet a pair of guys on the AT before veering off towards Scales. The whole park is so quiet this time of year, its very peaceful and if you haven't yet I would really recommend seeing the wild ponies off that trail. They are incredibly tame and a lot of fun to see. All the balds there are incredibly gorgeous too. I'm keeping an eye on the weather so I can head back and do a day hike up Mnt Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalker
Feb 2, 2003

single-mode fiber posted:

Also go to Grayson around the 2nd week of June (though this past winter was so warm, it was more like the last week of May) to see the rhododendrons bloom. Incidentally, this is also around the same time that the ponies will be having even-smaller baby ponies following them around.

If you're in the vague area of Grayson, one place that doesn't get a whole lot of traffic is Buffalo Mountain, in Floyd County. Once you get off the main road, it's like 2 miles of barely-maintained dirt road to get to the parking area (so I wouldn't recommend it if it's snowy/icy or rained in the past couple days). The hike itself is short and not very interesting, but there's no vegetation tall enough to obstruct your vision on the summit, so you get a great view in all directions. Plus, you go into town (all 2 blocks of it) and have some delicious, overpriced food made by hippies.

e: I'm good at writing

Thanks for the information I will check out both. I really enjoy the more remote hikes although I will be sure to go back to Grayson Highlands around the end of May.
I did a nice day hike up Mt. Rogers on Monday. There is no view from the top though so I took this one right before the spur trail off the AT.

Stalker fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 10, 2013

Stalker
Feb 2, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

No views on Rogers, but in the summer it looks like Maine. There is a shelter on the AT about 1/2 mile from the summit and in the warmer months lots of very forward wild ponies.

Rogers is an easy hike but not a very scenic one. Grayson Highlands is pretty great overall though and I would recommend heading into Damascus for diner afterward if you have the time.

Stalker
Feb 2, 2003

MojoAZ posted:

From Vegas, Zion should be top of your list, but its also a two hour drive one way. If you can't make it that far, there's good hiking in the Valley of Fire State Park. Also, this is a cool and very quick one near Lake Mead:

http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/LAME/LovellWash_Narrows/_Lov_Narrows.htm

edit: thread moves fast

I am moving from East TN to Las Vegas next week and am so psyched to go to Zion. I've heard such great things about the Narrows it is on the top of my list to hike when I get there.