Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hi hiking thread. I ride bikes more than I hike but still get out fairly often. Here's a picture I took a couple weeks ago from the top of a hill, it's about a 2000ft climb right out of town:

Have a shoe question:

I think I saw the New Balance 1010 mentioned in here and tried some on the other day. Neat shoe but that store only had them in 2E which was too wide. I was thinking of getting a pair if I can find them in a store tomorrow in the size and color I like but am wondering what else I should be looking for. I'm going for something lighter and more running oriented than my current pair of Merrell boots.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have that map too. It's pretty good but I use one specific for my state (Montana) plus an extra trails overlay.

The 450t only comes with the 100k topo which has very little detail, but it's only like $20 more than the 450 on amazon and sometimes it is nice to have at least a generic map if you get outside of where your detailed maps are.

gpsfiledepot.com is the best. Screw paying garmin $100 for a map. On top of my 24k topo map that has all the hiking trails and shows public and private land I haven detailed land ownership, an extra trails file, and hunting districts. All for free.

Basecamp pisses me off so much though. I also need to learn more about making routes and my own maps.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 16, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I do a lot of riding and hiking in an area called "the rattlesnake" and thankfully there aren't actually any rattlesnakes there. I did ride within a few inches of one years ago in CA. I only heard about that from the guy behind me a few minutes later. I think that was the same trail where a couple of people got attacked by a mountain lion.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 1, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We have a 450 and it locks on almost immediately every time. On the other hand I tried to use strava on my phone yesterday and it wouldn't pick up a signal.

he only time there is any sort of a delay is when you travel like 50+ miles and it doesn't know quite where it is. Is the software up to date? Also, when you press on the signal bars when it is searching, is it seeing the satellites?

Also, go into setup->system->gps and make sure it's set to WAAS/EGNOS. WAAS uses radio signals to improve accuracy.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 2, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I am in a basement and just decided to test it out. 17 seconds between pressing the power button and getting a fix.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I'd never heard of the WAAS/EGNOS setting so I just switched it to that from Normal.

It acquired a signal really quickly in my house just now, I'll give it a try out on the trail in the next week or so here and see how it performs, thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I honestly have never really abused the REI return policy and have pretty much the same mindset as you. I can't even remember the last time I returned something to REI, I was really just starting to feel like that pretty much, this doesn't perform like what I'd expect from a $300 dedicated GPS, I would think it would acquire signals faster and be more accurate.

I'll give it a try again after changing settings but I'm not going to rule out trying to exchange it for a newer or higher end model if it's still having trouble. The hikes I'm doing are mostly in heavily forested areas and a good amount of them will be in the Columbia River Gorge which has some pretty steep walls so I'm expecting that will effect it to some degree but then that's why I got a dedicated GPS and wasn't just using my phone.

While we're on the GPS topic, I just started playing around with Basecamp (was using MapSource up until now) are there any ways to visualize your track data in-app? I'd like to be able to see elevation graphs and speed heatmaps or whatever they call them but I can't figure out a way to do it in the app itself, I would think it should be able to do exactly that. Also what's the deal with the birdseye maps, you have to have a Garmin subscription or something to use those? Is it worth it? why can't I just pull satellite map imagery from Google or Bing or something?

I'm pretty sure going to a newer/more expensive garmin is not going to improve anything. Really the difference between the 450 and the 550 is the camera, and then the Montana 650 gets a bigger screen. Functionally I think they are all identical.

In basecamp you can see an elevation and speed graph by opening up the data window (double click on the track in the left bar). And yes, you have to pay to use birdseye, but there is a way to make your own satellite overlays. If you haven't yet, go over to gpsfiledepot and get yourself some better base maps, plus there are tutorials for making your own.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I was on a busy bike path last year and spotted a bull moose in the bushes just off the trail. I took a look and then got out of there, but then like 5-10 people stopped and started taking pictures.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've been happy with gps essentials for android, but generally use a garmin. It lets you do offline maps.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, now that it's winter and I can't ride my bike every day I'm back in the skiing, running, and hiking threads. So hi everyone. It was really nice last night and we got 8 miles in. Took this picture:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Really should have worn those yaktrax things tonight or put some screws in the bottom of my boots. Trails were slippery and I fell down pretty hard, like hard enough for my friends to be concerned instead of just laughing at me. And not while actually hiking, but when were were standing around at a junction to regroup and take pictures and stuff. Think I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Anyway, is there a recommended 2-3 person tent? Want to get one for my dad. Is a 2 person backpacking tent really only a 1 person thing where everyone has their own on a trip and you have to cram in there together for two people? Ideally my parents would do some occasional overnight hikes together and the like. I want to say it would be good to have a little extra space. We have an REI in town plus a number of outdoor gear stores.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Somehow I managed to scrape up the back of my hand and that is the worst of it. It was really cold and snowed last week, was warm at the beginning of this week so stuff started to melt, and then it got cold again today so everything froze over.

Dread Head posted:

Depends on the shape of the tent, I have 2 "2 person" tents one is a MEC (canadian REI) brand it is more like a 1.5 person tent. I also have a MSR hubba hubba and it is a perfect 2 person tent in my mind. I think a lot of it comes down to the shape of the tent.

Yeah some tents being more like "1.5 people" was what I was thinking and I want to err on the large side. I poked around online and backcountry and rei have like six zillion tents that are all pretty much the same thing, so I should probably just go look around in some stores tomorrow.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks, went with passage 2. Half dome 2 plus looked nice but was quite a bit more.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I did get the footprint. My dad has lived here in Montana for a long time now and has not done nearly as much backpacking and hiking as he should have. Hopefully this will encourage him to get out more with his friends. If not I can always borrow the tent.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 21, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I had new balance MT20s and I really liked them but they developed a tear within a few months. Ran in them and wore them on a couple of hikes, including one that was about 10 miles over very rocky and wet terrain. They gave me a replacement set of 1010s, which I haven't even worn yet. inov-8 makes zero drop really thin soled trail runners which I might look into next.

Lately we have had warm weather where all the snow melts and then re-freezes so all of the trails are sheets of ice. Put screws in the bottom of my boots today and they rocked. Walking on ice is like walking on dry ground:

3-4 of them pulled out on a short hike though. Should have probably gotten slightly bigger screws. Went with #6x3/8 sheet metal screws (not self tapping). Think 1/2" would still be ok or maybe just #8 screws would have a little more purchase.

Also got some helly hansen softshell pants for christmas and they kick rear end, and actually fit me. I'm tall and thin and have had a hard time finding anything with a 34" inseam, let alone something with a 30-32" waist. Can get the 32s tight enough thanks to little adjustment things an they are actually long enough in just the regular sizing. So yeah, if you are tall look into their stuff. I tried on the REI mistral pants which are 32x32 and they were comically short. The sales girl actually laughed when I came out of the dressing room.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Uh, yeah, they cost $40 more than screws. And these boots are over ten years old, and I only wear them on the occasional hike during the winter. If I wanted something to slip on I would go with kahtoola microspikes though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shell/outer layer? Trying to avoid a straight up plastic rain jacket, and goretex is a little out of my price range. So breathability is important but I still want a hood and decent weather protection. So I'm not sure if I should be looking at regular shells or softshells or neoshells or what. I wear my light down jacket as an outer layer and it is usually good enough, but if it is below about 20f or snowing I would like a little extra, and also have something to wear instead of the down when it's not really cold or we're on the way up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Business of Ferrets posted:

Not sure what size you are, but there might be some good deals here: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/mens-technical-shells/1

That shows men's jackets, so just search again if you're not a man.

Hey good site. But I'm kind of picky about how stuff fits and need to try it on first. I almost bought some northface basic shell the other day that was on sale for $70, but the sleeves were too short on the medium and the large fit me like a garbage bag. And I didn't like the cuffs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've worn nitrile gloves under my regular gloves, but that was more an issue of not having warm enough gloves at the time. It did help. Sleeping in a trash bag just sounds horrible though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 13, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You need a 12 gauge with slugs to even approach the effectiveness of bear spray. Most guns can kill a best eventually, but maybe not before it mauls you to death.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've been in Phoenix for awhile and went up Camelback and it was a pretty good climb.

This is the way up, "trail" is in the middle:

There are a lot of sections where you are just climbing over big rocks. I thought it was fun. My ~50 year old aunt did not agree, but did get to the top.

Once you get to the top it is pretty scenic

Also I saw this lizard thing

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

BeefofAges posted:

I exclusively hike and backpack in lightweight non-waterproof trail runners (Salomons and Inov-8s) unless I expect to be hiking through deep powdery snow. My feet get wet when I step in puddles or when it rains, and then they dry out pretty fast once I'm in a dry area for a while.

My Solomon XA 3D Pro Ultras (what a silly name for a shoe) were my absolute favorite shoe until I got a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 245s.

Same. On my 2nd pair of new balance minimus trail running shoes and have a pair of boots with screws drilled into the soles for ice/snow traction. Last spring I was out on steep rocky terrain for a day hike parts of the trail were running water so there was no way around walking through it. The light trail shoes worked great and most of the water drains out of them immediately.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

-CHA posted:

Teton chat :)
I'm going to be heading out there in May. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with closed seasonal roads and can get at least a few miles of trails in without any hassle.

I'm actually heading out that way for a graduation in Idaho then winding my way through Montana, Wyoming and then Colorado. Hoping to get to visit a bunch of the state parks along the way.

Any recommendations for trails?
I know that I will be going to Lolo National Forrest, Yellowstone, Teton and Rocky Mountain National park. Might make my way to Glacier National park if I have the spare time.

I'm in Missoula which is surrounded by the lolo NF. What kind of hiking do you want to do- just day hikes or overnight stuff? The rattlesnake wilderness which is basically right in town has both. You can do short trails near the trailhead or go 8 miles to the wilderness boundary and camp at lakes and stuff. I think the hikes down in the bitterroots or west of town near superior/st regis along the montana-idaho border are a little more interesting though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

-CHA posted:

I mainly just do day hikes. I think an average hike for me would be about 4 miles round trip. Unless of course if I am heading to the White Mountains then I average close to ten.

My wife is actually from Missoula, she was going to take me up Mount Sentinel to the "M" though I may want to go farther up that trail. Looks like there will be some nice views. I wouldn't be able to do any of the more strenuous trails since she isn't that big into hiking.

As for Lolo, My wife has a friend out there who is going to be renting a cabin for a night or two to head out an enjoy the woods. I'm not sure what part yet. Though I figured that if I saw some areas that looked nice I may persuade the vote to camp closer to them.

Oh ok, well definitely go all the way to the top. The m doesn't take very long. Then if you're near lolo, lolo peak would be a good one. It's 9000 something ft and one of the taller things around but the trailhead is at 6k.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

-CHA posted:

I might check out Lolo peak just to say I've hiked a 9k.

So far the tallest thing I have hiked was Mt. Washington at 6,288 ft with 4,600 of elevation gain.
It would be nice knowing that when I go up Washington again in July that I had done higher mountains.
Might make the Hell Mile not seem so bad :v:

I just realized you said may. There will still be quite a bit of snow but I think you could do it with snowshoes. Some friends of mine did trapper peak last april or may with cross country skis and showshoes, which is to the south about 50mi and 1000ft taller. I didn't go because I had a bike race.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Getting into biking isn't that bad if you shop the used market and don't need all the newest and fanciest stuff. My bike shop for example sells all their rentals at the end of the season for like $250. Not high end, but you are getting a season old kona 29er that will withstand pretty serious mountain biking. With a road bike you can be a little less picky because things haven't changed as much and something 20 years old can still be a great bike. I think mountain biking is a little more fun though and fits more in line with the hiking and backpacking thing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

For most of my hikes I bring a water bottle and some snacks and wear trail running shoes.

I have some friends that bike pack and would love to get into that but that means more camping stuff than I currently own plus frame bags and stuff to carry it all. So yeah, it combines all the expenses of biking and backpacking.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I use face lotion with an spf rating. 15 for normal days and that neutrogena 50/70/100 whatever when I'm going to be out in the sun all day. Then if my face is puffy I put on an ice pack while I do my crunchies. I can do a thousand now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bear spray is proven to be much more effective than guns, especially pistols. I hunt, hike, and mountain bike in Montana and sometimes I bring bear spray. If I was going to bring a second camp gun for bears it would be a short barreled 12 gauge with slugs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Last year we had a lady out walking some dogs get stomped on by a moose practically in town. Kind of her fault though- http://missoulian.com/news/local/fwp-moose-simply-protecting-calf-in-attack-near-missoula/article_a951b7a2-c49d-11e2-9bc3-001a4bcf887a.html

Closest encounter I've had was being chased by a young elk while riding my bike on the highway. I was getting my phone out to take a picture and then it started running towards me so I had to speed up. Also it was hanging out with a goat for some reason.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress hiking, rent bikes and do the whole enchilada.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Depending on where you are, you may be able to find something on gpsfiledepot and view it in Garmin basecamp. The maps I have for montana show all that stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

-CHA posted:

Anyway, less than two weeks before I head out to Lolo, Teton and the Colorado Rockies.
I will hope to have some great trip photos to share. This thread needs more photos.

Bring snowshoes if you plan on going higher than like 5k feet. And let me know when you're in the Missoula area, I can suggest some trails depending on what you want to do.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I was using a solar charger with my phone on a rafting trip (to take pictures) and it worked really well. Even when it was mostly overcast it put enough of a charge on it. I also see bike tourists use them. Plus you could like strap it to the top of your pack or something so it's charging while you walk.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you lose it they'll give you a new one. Not sure how many that policy is good for though, probably just one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I went on a hike yesterday.

Started in town, walked over the top of that point in the foreground and then along the ridge to another mountain behind me. Worked out to a 9 mile round trip and 3500ft of elevation gain. Legs cramped up a bit on the way down which was pretty annoying- took me longer to get back than it did to go up to the top. Plus my phone died so I couldn't bail out to a closer trailhead and have someone come and pick me up. At least I brought enough candy.

Also, found a jetboil flash on sale last weekend so my backpacking/bikepacking gear is starting to come together. Need a lighter sleeping bag and maybe some sort of a lightweight shelter besides the bivy sack next.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Last time I saw a bear, I yelled and tried to scare it away and it just went on eating berries. We just kept going, didn't see it on the way back (although it was dark by then).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Some friends of friends have decided to run/hike from here to banff mostly along ridgelines and the continental divide. Think they've been at it for 2-3 days and you can follow their progress here:

https://share.delorme.com/thenorthface
http://crownofthecontinent.natgeotourism.com/content/crown-traverse-600-mile-mountain-journey/cot92a23574e470587da

I raced bikes against Mike Wolfe last fall. he beat me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Local photographer I follow (Myke Hermsmeyer) posted this one from glacier the other day:

Looks like that would have been an exciting few minutes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's fine, but maybe a little more weight and bulk than a basic shell and down midlayer.

I'm up in Canada on a regular basis and with the exchange rate have been able to get a good deal on a few things. Just got a goretex active shell that was already on sale, and then you take like 25% off for the exchange. That plus my light down jacket will fit into my rei flash 18 pack with plenty of room for snacks and water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Made some changes to my winter boots today and tried it out. I have been sticking screws in the bottom like a couple of friends for a few years now and it gives great traction but I lose a lot of them. So I decided that maybe if they were set a little farther into the sole the added support would keep them in better. Last week I lost like 10 screws (out of 17x2), today did the same quick hike and only lost one. A few started to pull out though.

Here you can see what I was going for:

Couldn't come up with a way to make a nice shallow hole besides by hand with a dremel, might need to re-touch a bit of it. Also wish these boots had bigger and flatter lugs like my nice asolos. I guess one of these days I should just get some microspikes, but with this setup I can walk around on ice and up and down steep slippery poo poo like it's dry. Here's what part of today's trip looks like:

And then some scenery. Valley gets inversions and all sorts of junk just sits in there. Last week it got up to "unhealthy for sensitive groups."

Ski hill in the center, stuart peak is that bigger thing to the left, I rode my bike to the wilderness boundary and then hiked the rest of the way to the top last fall. It is almost 3000 ft higher than where I took the picture from.

Also carried down like half a sled because some rear end in a top hat went up there, broke his saucer, and left it on the hill.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 12, 2016