Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Speaking of the AT, is there a resource that can tell me what to expect weather wise along the trail? I know that Whiteblaze has daily weather stats along the trail but that doesn't seem to help me plan what kind of weather to predict in certain locations at certain times, unless I'm missing something about how to use that page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Hey guys,

I'm looking to attempt the AT around mid-March next year and was wondering if you could give some insight. I'm currently looking into a layering system but I'm not sure if it's in the right ball park. The research I've done indicates that at the start, I should expect lows down to around 25F and highs as much as 60F.

As far as sleep systems go I'm looking at a Z packs 30F sleeping bag and a bivy/bag cover. Should I include a liner in case it gets really cold, or can I expect to make up the 5-10 degree deficit with clothing in a pinch?

Clothing wise, I'm looking at a merino shirt, long sleeve hiking shirt, fleece layer, down layer and a hard shell. This comes in at 38 ounces, which is quite alot for top clothing alone. Lower body I'm looking at least hiking boxers, merino leggings and zip-off pants. That's probably going to be at least another 2 pounds, if I'm lucky.

Realistically, I expect to be in a sleeping bag at the times I can expect it to get really cold (i.e. at night) and to be moving during the day and moving during the day obviously. Does this seem like too much stuff for the conditions? What in there can I easily do without? What kind of layering system do you recommend for the trail as it gets warmer?

The reason I ask, is because I currently live in tropical Australia and even when I would hike where it would get "reasonably cold" (barely below freezing) I could always seem to get away with a merino undershirt and a softshell at night. I'm not sure in the climate I can expect on the AT though.

Thanks for the help.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I just got off after a 5 day, 92 mile section of the AT in SW Virginia. It was hot, and the winter gear I brought was excessive, however last Thursday it snowed a foot. The AT is weird like that. I will try to follow up my post with my packing list. I was ready for temps into the 20s at night, and was able to handle the 80s I experienced with no problems. Total pack weight with 2 liters of water and 5.5 days of food was about 23-25 lbs.

If you are planning a mid march start time I would be ready for temps into the teens. My basic clothing was some convertible pants, a merino T-shirt, trail runners, exofficio boxer briefs and smart wool running socks with dirty girl gaiters. For colder times I had a long sleeve merino top, a mont bell down puffy, a wool hat and my rain shell. Layer up as needed.

Most people have a winter sleeping bag and a summer one. My two were a western mounteering 20 degree and a Mont bell 50 degree. Even the 50 degree bag was too hot in June through mid august.

Thanks for this kind of info. My main concern is that I have no real concept at the moment of what I'll need at those temps. I don't want to have to spend money on, and carry stuff I won't need.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Shrinking Universe posted:

Went for an overnight stroll to the Cascade Hut, about 10km along the Cascade Trail in Kosciusko National Park (very near to Australia's tallest mountain!). Quite an easy walk. Winter is beginning to close in and there was about 8cm of snow on the ground at the highest point. We're hoping to do it again in winter with snowshoes. Wasn't that cold, got down to about -2c.

Got to finally use my Osprey Aether 85, which is way too much pack for an overnight hike, but cinches down pretty well. Super comfortable, another vote for it from me, for anyone thinking of getting one. I would imagine the smaller ones will be no different.

This is "Man from Snowy River" country, for anyone not Australian that is familier with the movies (or the poem for that matter...)

Cascade Hut

Brumbies! (Wild horses)

Doing this knocks another 10km off the Australian Alps Walking track, which I hope to do in its entirety one day.

Thanks for this, now I have found an excellent walk in Australia to do to test my gear and food selection before I attempt the AT next year!

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'll be hiking in 110+ weather this weekend for the first time and I've read/seen some conflicting discussion about what to wear.

I have a wide brimmed hat, loose shorts/pants, breathable trail shoes, hiking socks, & a cooling bandana. For my torso, I have this base layer and this shirt. Do I layer up and wear both? Or should I just stick with one?

Also, I bought this bandana - do you guys think a kool tie would be worth it? I don't have the bandana yet but it appears to just be a sun protection/moisture wicking bandana while the kool tie is an actively cooling product...which would be nice :shobon:

I think any cooling effect is probably going to be imagined in those kind of temps. Make sure what you wear is light coloured such as the Columbia shirt as this will shed heat better than anything dark. You wont need to wear a Polartec at 110+.

Make sure you have ready access to water and salts as this is what will probably make you go down with heat stress. 110 is the range where your organs will start to cook so be careful

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
I've done a fairly hard search and I'm having no luck. I'm wondering if someone here could help me out:

I'm looking for a titanium cup such as the Snow Peak 450 single wall, that also has a secure lid. The application I'm looking for is something I can use as a protein shaker (i.e. no liquid spills when shaken) and also as a boiling pot over a small stove.

The closest I've seen is the Evernew 400 with sipper lid which would require me to put my fingers over the holes when shaking. It's less than ideal which is why I'm asking if there is a better option out there?

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Speleothing posted:

Aluminum gives much better & more uniform heat transfer. Titanium cookware is pretty rare for that reason, and it tends to be much more expensive. Do you really need the weight savings that much?

Moving beyond that, are you sure that neither of those will accept a standard-sized lid? You can probably find something from rubbermaid, ziplock, or tupperware that will match the Evernew 265, which looks to be fairly normal-sized.

I'm not planning on boiling water very often, it's primary use would be as a protein shaker. Originally I was going to take the smallest protein shaker I could find but then I figured that a hot cup of chicken or beef broth (stock cube + hot water) is a neat way of replenishing salts in tasty hot drink form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Oxford Comma posted:

I have a Sawyer water filter that I tried out today and I was really disappointed in it. No matter how hard I'd squeeze the bag, I couldn't get more than the barest, most meager trickle of water. Actually, more like drops than a trickle. I know it takes a bit of water to get the filter primed, but after ten minutes I gave up. Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you tried back flushing your filter? If you have, you might have a dud filter. I use a Sawyer Squeeze mini and it takes about a minute to empty the bag.