Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

booties work well if your dog tolerates them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone in Alaska I kill would to.. uh..

Brb, going to go hike in my backyard

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

I used to live in Anchorage, near the big bend between Tudor and Muldoon. It was so loving cool to tell mom we were heading out, grab the bikes, and disappear into the forest all day.

Granted we just did dumb teenager stuff but there's value in that too, kinda.

From solstice:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m not sure if it was this thread or another but someone posted a really good article about plantar fasciitis and how he treated his track athletes. Anyone know what I’m talking about or sound familiar?

It was posted in the running thread a few times

This:

gohuskies posted:

These foot strength drills helped a ton when I had PF and I've seen other people respond after I've posted the link that it helped them too. They are quick and short but they work. http://files.meetup.com/445445/footDrills.pdf

The Fool fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 20, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522054&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1219#post506630862

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do iridium phones provide emergency service with no subscription?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

Any bear canister recommendations? There's one on REI.com that looks like a plastic piece of poo poo

Any of these: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/brfc.htm

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Patagonia capilene.[/url]

I have one of these shirts and it is quite good.

I also have a couple icebreaker merino wool shirts that I like

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t have any specific advice but AllTrails works well enough for my local trails

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A lot of the campgrounds here have tent areas that are separate from the main campground and usually wooded, it’s usually pretty quiet and pleasant.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My main limitation is... I have no idea how to go backpacking. Not sure where to go in my area or more importantly who to talk to about setting it up, paying, whatever I have to do. I'm kinda crippled by the anxiety and decision making of just figuring out how to do this. I really wish I knew someone who has done this before that I could go with. No one I know likes doing outdoor stuff.

Mileage may vary by region, but the two biggest tools I use for finding and getting info about hikes are alltrails and Facebook groups

AllTrails will let you search for hikes based on distance from home, difficulty and and handful of other criteria, and here there is always someone that has posted a recent condition report in the comments.

If you can find a local hiking group on Facebook that makes a huge difference too. The ones here are super active and have people posting about their hikes and (pre-COVID) people looking for group hikes. It’s also a really easy place to ask questions about trail conditions or gear or whatever and have other local hikers chime in.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

New thru-hike bucket list item: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/05/21/senate-agrees-to-fund-alaska-long-trail-project/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I worry more about moose than bears. If you’re making noise, 9/10 bears will go the other way before you see them.

Moose will stand there and stare you down while they decide if they want to stomp on you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I really like Altra’s but I have a pair of salomon’s that fit my wide feet just fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did the ridge line above april bowl in clouds like that last month, it's always a really cool effect

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

padijun posted:

Are you familiar with any other hikes up in Hatcher pass? April bowl looks cool but I’d like to make a day of it if I drive up there

I'm a huge fan of archangel valley.

Reed lakes, skyscraper are both good.

You can also do a traverse from hatch peak to government peak.

Bomber is cool

there's just so much out there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Forgot to crosspost this here. I think I've gotten what I want out of the main corridor at this point, next trip will be on some into the less traveled trails in the area.

have you talked about your setup/process anywhere? if no, will you?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure, what are you curious about?

Biggest thing is what lens are you using on those big scenery shots. Also, generally curious about what you do in post

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thank you!

Bottom Liner posted:

I did some panoramas for the really wide shots.

Was wondering if that was the case.

quote:

Hard lesson I've had to face lately is that high end glass really makes a big difference in non-optimal conditions. The color and contrast you get out of these lenses is really worth the weight and size difference.

I used to rent nicer lenses on occasion, and yeah, it definitely makes a difference. There's no-where near me that rents equipment now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can anyone speak to camping in central oregon? I've got a couple trips planned and am new to the region.

Biggest question I have is that I'm intending to do my first overnight with a hammock and am really curious about the bug situation. I'm used to dealing with really bad mosquitos, but all the day trips I've done here there have been almost zero bugs.