Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
recently I've been day hiking in the chugach mountains near anchorage, this morning I went up harp mountain in the south fork valley

up the valley is eagle lake which feeds the south fork of eagle river

across the valley is rendezvous ridge/peak which I did two weeks ago. I had a big smile when I realized that false peak looks like a titty from a distance. you can see mount susitna across the knik arm behind it

I was excited to see the north fork valley from the top, but the clouds were smushed straight against the north side of the mountain which was almost as cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I went up McHugh peak southeast of Anchorage today. I kept losing the trail up because of the clouds, but it was great when the they cleared out near the top and I got a partial view of Cook Inlet and Turnagain Arm

It was about 6 miles up and back with 2,600ft elevation gain. The view threw "window" alone was worth the trip.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

The Fool posted:

I did the ridge line above april bowl in clouds like that last month, it's always a really cool effect

Are you familiar with any other hikes up in Hatcher pass? April bowl looks cool but I’d like to make a day of it if I drive up there

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Chugach state park again, this time I went back to hanging valley lake which is in a split from the south fork valley

It had rained the night before so 8 of the 10 miles I had wet feet, but the running compression socks did their job. Truly a miracle of modern design and engineering

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

From July in the south fork valley. He walked across the trail about 50 feet in front of me and booked it down the hill. After that my head was on a swivel until I was above the tree line

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
one proposal was to rename it after evans' wife, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

The first saddle I drove to had an avalanche warning so I ended up going to the south fork of eagle river valley. The switchbacks were almost drifted over so I went up the old steep trail on my snowshoes. This is where the heel elevators saved me from any ankle discomfort at all, and I never slipped thanks to the grip from the cleats and frame. Had to turn around after just a mile though, there was too much wind on the shoulder above the saddle and I couldn’t see it being any better on the completely exposed ridge