Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Since we're posting pictures for the new thread, I figured I'd add a few from some of my shorter hikes, as I haven't been able to do any overnight backpacking in a long time. These are all day-hike (or shorter) photos:

The Pinnacle, in Pennsylvania. September 2012:

Panorama (click for big)

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. May 2012:

Point Lookout trail, Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado. June 2012:

Forest fire panaorama (click for big):

Sunset, hiking back down:

The Grand Wash trail, Capitol Reef National Park, Utah. June 2012:

Confluence Overlook trail, Canyonlands, Utah. June 2012:

We started early in the morning, and my fiance hadn't had her coffee yet:

Panorama of the overlook of the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers (click for big):

Hopefully this will inspire any lurkers out there who might be intimidated by some of the more extreme hikes posted here. You can still do a lot on simple day hikes to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

I'll add a few of my own pictures:

My friend negotiates a level stretch of the AT in northern New Jersey. (Note the white trail blaze under his foot.)

Is that Sunfish Pond?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Speleothing posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. Gore is absolutely fantastic most of the time. The dampness from sweat is nothing compared to the drenching you can get from the environment.

Having two pairs is nice, but unless you do all your hiking in a desert, gore is better.

YMMV but I think one1two2three3 isn't totally off. I have had a variety of goretex and non-goretex boots, and could go either way. I find that often enough if it's raining that hard they lined boots end up getting wet anyway, and they stay wet. Depending on the brand, it seems that they're designed more for keeping out water from puddles, streams, and light rain, rather than keeping you dry all day.

That said, my current hiking boots are GoreTex, however my day to day workboots are not. With my work boots, I have found that, while I get wet, they dry out the next day. GoreTex, once wet, seems to take forever to dry properly compared to a traditional boot. I often have to work out in the rain, but I can at least choose the days I hike, so I avoid the real sokers there.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Had my first decent hike this season yesterday, even if it was only a quick jaunt up Mt. Tammany at the Delaware Water Gap. It was a welcome reminder as to why I have so far stayed away from any hiking boot without a nice stiff shank:

I'm still trying to get used to how popular the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area has gotten in the past few years. Parking is a pain now and I saw way too many people stumbling along wearing Dockers and leather jackets. Attention citizens of North Jersey: Please stop discovering your national parks and recreation areas.

It gets better if you drive farther into Worthington State Forest, I think most of the tourists just pop off Route 80 near the visitor center and don't venture back to the other trailheads.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Verman posted:

A good rule to hike by, I would rather have too much water weight versus too much unnecessary gear weight, even if only on a day hike.

Yeah, some people fret too much about water weight. Carrying too much water is easily remedied: dump it out.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Flying with trekking poles shouldn't be a huge problem. Most collapse down to a size that should easily pack in a suitcase/duffel/backpack. I have a set from Black Diamond and they collapse down to about 2.5 feet in length.

All poles are not made the same, but if you're using them once there's probably no need to go crazy. I know people who have a $20 pair from Wal Mart that they've been using for some time. However, I will say that once I started using poles, I REALLY liked them, so I don't regret buying a decent pair right off the bat.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Speaking of utensils chat, does anyone make a quality version of a set like this anymore?

I have seen new manufactures from a few places, but they've all been poo poo. Like, you can fold the utensils in half with your hand, the knife is dull as gently caress, or the pieces don't stay locked together and fall apart. I have a set that used to be my grandfather's from when he was in the Boy Scouts in the freaking 1940's, my dad used them when HE was in the scouts in the 60's, and he passed them on to me when I started scouts back in 1996 or so. I still use them, they're sturdy, still stay very snugly together, and the knife is sharp. I've been looking for a set like that for my fiance, and to eventually replace my set when I inevitably get nostalgic and pass the set onto my future kid.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

My friend and I are looking to do a couple day hikes in eastern Pennsylvania or Maryland this weekend, weather permitting. We already picked out the Pinnacle for one day, but I can't seem to find anything else in my guidebooks that sounds like a must-see.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a good hike between 4 and 10 miles long, ideally without too much elevation gain (no more than, say, 1200 feet total), with something really interesting along the way, like a great viewpoint or a unique geological feature or something like that. Oh, and it should be no more than three hours away from Trenton by car.

Right now the only options that seem feasible are Ricketts Glen and Pole Steeple (at Pine Grove Furnace). If anyone recommends against either of those, that's good to know too. Thanks!

Delaware Water Gap/Worthington State Forest in NJ. You can dothe Mt. Tammany trail, or go up one of the various other trails to see Sunfish Pond. Mt. Tammny has been getting really crowded lately, unfortunately.

Alterntively you could do the circut hike at the Hawk Mountain sanctuary, which is literally right next door to the Pinnacle. It requires a small fee though.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

By "casual" camping I assume you mean car camping at like family campgrounds and whatnot? Do you want a tent to hang out in or just something to sleep in? Do you care if it can be used for backpacking in a pinch? I assume you're not looking for some minimalist tarp tent, a one-person shelter, or a hammock set up.

My standard all-around tent for car camping has been what is a precursor model for the Eureka Apex 2XT. I've had it for something like 12 years now and it's still kicking. I think you can find them for $80-100 or so online. It's not perfect, I occasionally have some condensation problems with the fly, but it's also got great fly coverage which keeps things dry when it's raining, and if you stake all the guy lines it's a champ in high winds too. Simple to set up also. You can do better but you'll probably end up spending more. There's a few comparable models out there so shop around.

I would avoid cheap tents. They will leak, they will tear, they will fold in the wind.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

ATP5G1 posted:

I'd be coming from Philadelphia into Denver and driving to the cabin from there. I guess I'm just loathe to drop a bunch of money on gear when it's unlikely I'll be going hiking that often. I'm also dropping weight, so whatever fits me now probably won't in a month or two.

Just get any cheapo synthetic fiber pants will be better than jeans. You don't need to go spend $80 on super duper hiking pants.

REI has some hiking pants on sale on their website right now:
http://www.rei.com/product/767573/white-sierra-convertible-trail-pants-mens-32-inseam-special-buy

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I would say a more legitimate reason is just wear. you purchase a high performance apparel piece that starts breaking down after 18 months or something say.

Isn't that something that would be covered more through warranties and directly dealing with the manufacturer? REI does sell a lot of house brands though. I forget, do they have warranties/guarantees on their own stuff?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

Wear the boots. If you're camping, might be worth it to bring the trail shoes along as camp shoes.

Yeah, boots. I own a pair of the Merrel Trail Glove 2's, but they're more for running and strength training than hiking. I'm sure it would be ok on a relatively developed trail for a shorter hike, but those things have next to zero padding, no shank, and are low. For your first backpacking trip I just have a feeling that your feet would be destroyed.

Do you frequently do barefoot or minimalist walking/running? Because the trail gloves are pretty much Vibram Five-Fingers without the toe separation.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I took a day hike in Canyonlands last year and it was up around 105-110 by the middle if the day. The total round trip was maybe 12 miles. I drank 8L of water over that period and probably could have used more. However I'm overweight so what you need might be a bit different. What was useful though was to have a couple of 1.5L nalgenes that were packed with ice and then topped up with water. I placed them on either side of my 3L bladder and it kept the water nice and cool for a good portion of the day.

I would highly recommend getting on the trail as early as possible, including before dawn.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

That's actually the plan: walk around in the sun in the morning, climb rocks around noon, and then hike a bit more later.

Wait so your plan is to go rock climbing in the middle of the heat of the day after you've already been hiking for hours through already dangerously hot temperatures? Are you used to this kind of heat and feel comfortable doing that? Because if not I would just stick to hiking, heat stress creeps up on you and can really impair your judgement and reflexes.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

alnilam posted:

Someone was posting here recently about a lovely park that was either almost or entirely in transit range of NYC. Remind me please?

What do you mean by "transit range"? You mean public transit, or by car?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Every time someone posts a bunch of pictures, I start wondering what camera everyone hikes with. I have a Nikon P60 which I got several years ago, but I'm not totally happy with it as it's had some quality issues. The memory card is now stuck in it and I get occasional lens errors. The main reason I got it was that it was a point and shoot that still had a view finder, and a digital one that actually relayed what was going through the main lens. My wife and I have an SLR but of course it's bulky and heavy, so I'm starting to look for another point and shoot since mine might be on the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Levitate posted:

I think having a wide toe box is 100% a great thing to have with shoes/boots. It's really easy for your toes to get smushed together and start rubbing on each other.

I found the Vasque St. Elias to have an unfortunately tight toe box too. I bought a pair at REI because they fit everywhere else and we're very similar to my old Vasques I was replacing. However, after wearing them at home for a while to toe was just too small. Also I wasn't a fan of the faux leather around the ankle.

What's the current hotness for a 6" backpacking boot in the $150-200 range? I'd love to go lighter but Pennsylvania is full of rocks.