Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

You can add me to the list, though I have PMs off. I do have my AIM listed in my profile.

I'm currently in Orange County, CA, but besides the local trails I have experience with hiking in the desert, the Sierras, and the AT (between GA and NJ, at least). I also wrote a short guide to ultralight backpacking: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1z7haNEGlEn64oWGf6MA72FTyz0fjIuuyv7Oh09bGWIY

I actually just got good news this week. The orthopedist sees some abnormal bone structure in my hip x-rays that could cause impingement. I'm getting a cortisone shot on the 18th, and then after that I might get arthroscopic surgery, and then I could realistically go back and finish the AT in June of next year. I'm super excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

A headlamp?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Microspikes rule.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Elijya posted:

Now that my hellish December is at a close I can start hiking again and plan for a thru. I only got out for any serious trips twice through the fall. Look forward to diving back into it, but I've never hiked in crazy extreme cold before. I'm reluctant to hike solo in the snow as it seems potentially foolish and an easy way to get lost or injured if you cannot see the trail. Stories from those with experience?

Wear bright colors (orange, yellow). Dress in layers so that you can peel them off as you warm up and put them back on when you stop moving. Try to avoid sweating, it'll cool you down too much when you stop. If the trail gets icy to the point of feeling dangerous, either put on microspikes/yaktrax or turn around and go home.

Other than that, just follow the same safety rules you normally would - tell your friends where you're going, don't wander off the trail alone, don't go beyond your ability, bring a map, etc. Most of the trails I've been on have enough foot traffic even in winter that it's obvious where the trail is.

If you're planning on overnighting in the snow there are some more tips I can provide (or you can do a bit of googling), but it's really not that different from normal hiking besides being cold.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So I've gotten a really stupid inclination to thru-hike the AT this year...

Thru-hiking isn't stupid. It's amazing. You should definitely do it.

Everyone has different opinions on how to thru-hike, but here are my suggestions:

Take your phone and charger, and take a ruggedized point and shoot camera (I used a Panasonic DMC-TS3 and so did a lot of other hikers) and its charger. Don't bother with the kindle, you probably won't have the energy to read and you'll be hanging out with other hikers. If you really want to read, you can always grab a book from a used bookstore along the way and leave it at a shelter when you finish reading it (or use it as toilet paper). Don't bother with the solar charger, since you'll rarely be sitting still in sunny spots for long periods of time. Just charge your stuff when you're in town. You don't need to stay overnight in a hostel or hotel, just find a power outlet on the outside of a McDonalds or something and chill for a bit. Always keep your phone on airplane mode and minimum screen brightness to maximize battery life. See if you can get a PDF of the guidebook of your choice to have on your phone instead of carrying a physical guidebook. If your phone or camera do run out of batteries, oh well. It's not a big deal. I doubt you'll have issues though.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Definitely share your photos and stories!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Flaky posted:

I'll be in the US for a couple of weeks from January 14. We are planning to spend a few days each at Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Sequoia and Death Valley national parks amongst other things. Although the weather will probably be not great and we'll be travelling primarily by car, are there any tricks to visiting these?

You may need snow chains for some of the roads in the parks.

If you can't decide on your own what to visit, ask someone at a visitor center. They'll probably be happy to plan out an itinerary with you.

In Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Sequoia, do not leave scented items (food, toiletries, etc) in the car. You're unlikely to have any bear problems in the winter, but it's still possible.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

Does anybody have any advice for estimating how long a thru-hike will take? I'm planning on thru-hiking the Superior Hiking Trail once spring rolls around, but I'm not sure how I should be calculating the amount of time I should be taking to do it. Also, do you guys have any recommendations for good foods/drink additives to take with so that I'll be actually getting a balanced diet while I'm out on the trail?

Well, to give you an idea, people usually thru hike the AT (about 2184 miles) in around 5 to 7 months, which works out to an average of 12 miles a day. Usually people start off with relatively short (5 to 10 mile) days until they get into shape, then they start doing more mileage, especially when they get to flatter areas.

If we conservatively estimate that you can average 8 miles a day, it would take you about 34 days. I have no idea how difficult the trail is or what kind of shape you're in, so you might be able to do a lot better than that.

As for food, this is better than anything I could tell you: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/food-planning-for-multi-day-hikes-and-thru-hikes/

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Swillkitsch posted:

I've never done a day trip over ten-odd miles before--is that vastly different from thirty miles in a day? If so, what should I do to prepare in the five months prior? Tthe local outdoors shop is planning to traverse about that distance on the AT in a day for charity, and I'd love to participate, but I wouldn't even know where to start :shobon:

Just hike a ton, and do more every day. Thing is, you probably can do 30 miles in a day in your current condition, but it'll be awful and painful and you'll feel like poo poo for a week. If you can build yourself up into good shape, then you'll be able to do it and have fun and feel okay the next day.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Can anyone offer an opinion on the Tarptent Notch?
I have a big agnes fly creek UL 2 and I would like to save a few ounces on solo trips on the AT.

I have a Notch. It kicks rear end. Setup and teardown are surprisingly easy (there's a good video of it on the Tarptent site). Getting in and out of the tent is easy. The vestibules are pretty big. The inside of the tent itself is about big enough for your sleeping bag, a water bottle, and a flashlight.

You do have to seam seal it yourself, but it's really not that bad.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

These guys make some tempting looking sleeping bags, though I've never actually seen anyone using one: http://www.nunatakusa.com/

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I used a Klymit Static V (uninsulated) on the AT and I love it. It inflates pretty fast, it's fairly lightweight, and it's comfy. They also have a slightly heavier insulated version.

What I really want, however, is the Inertia X Frame. I hiked 500 miles with a guy who used one, and it's amazing. It's a full length inflatable pad, but it only weighs a bit over 9 oz. It's certainly not the most comfortable pad, but it's pretty comfy for the weight.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

If you're having trouble sleeping, you haven't hiked enough. Tire yourself out to the point where you sleep like a rock.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I like to use an Ursack. Mine's never actually been chewed on by a bear though.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

The only dogs I've seen on national park trails were service dogs.

Bringing dogs along on your first ever backpacking trip seems like a bad idea. I'd take them on a dogless trip or two, then have them bring their dogs when they actually know what they're doing.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I suggest either Aquamira or a gravity filter. Pumps and steripens are annoying and unreliable.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I managed just fine in July in PA with Aquamira. I just dipped my cookpot into water to fill my bottles.

Some people complain about the taste of Aquamira, but it really doesn't bother me.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

MyPlate posted:

I have never gone on more than a day hike, but I don't understand why people go through the trouble of bringing a cooker/pans/cutlery on 3-4 day treks. Is it so bad to just take nuts and jerky and granola bars and save all that space for other things?

You don't have to bring a lot. My cookset weighs about 11 ounces including fuel for a weeks worth of dinners. It's a tiny pot, spork, soda can alcohol stove, lighter, and plastic scraper tool. Having some hot pasta or mashed potatoes after a long day feels really good.

That said, plenty of people don't bother bringing any cooking gear. Do what you like!

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 5, 2013

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Start slow! Try to keep it under 8 miles a day for a week or two. There's no rush.

Your pack list looks pretty good, though a few things seem a little redundant (aquamira and a filter?). I also think a phone + an ipod touch + a camera + a battery + a gorillapod is a bit overkill. If your first aid kit has scissors, use them instead of nail clippers. Instead of soap, carry hand sanitizer. Instead of a mug, just eat and drink out of your jetboil pot. Your tent groundcloth is probably unnecessary, most of the tent pads you'll find on the AT are very soft and unlikely to cause much wear and tear.

Feel free to ignore everything I just said and hike your own hike, seriously. Don't do what people tell you to do, do what you want to do. It's your adventure.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

For ordinary snowshoeing on relatively flat ground I'd just get the cheapest MSR ones you can find.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Selk'bags look comfy for car camping, but I think their weight to warmth ratio isn't quite good enough to make them worth carrying for backpacking (for me, at least).

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I think pretty much all good backpacking gear is already available for sale online, and isn't even especially hard to find. I think the only way you'll be able to run a gear business is to come up with your own unique product line. For some examples, see the list of gear manufacturers here: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1z7haNEGlEn64oWGf6MA72FTyz0fjIuuyv7Oh09bGWIY#h.qx224wlh2mc7

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

BleakLewis posted:

Looks like REI has calculated dividends! Haven't seen the usual %20 off coupon yet.

Has anyone had any experience using microspikes? Are they small enough to use that you can wear them along with snowshoes? How are they over rocks? I've been using yak traks but there not very durable and seem to clog up almost in powdery snow.

Microspikes are easy enough to put on/take off that you can just take them off right before you put on snowshoes.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Elijya posted:

Started at Amicola last week. Resting out some rain in Neel's Gap as I type. This past week has been an incredible time and has made me more confident about getting to Katahdin.

Good luck dude!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Dinosaurs!, I suggest you get some trail runners. Hiking boots are overkill, but minimalist shoes take some getting used to if you want to hike in them without really wearing out your feet. I've done a lot of hiking in both Vibram Five Fingers and in Salomon trail runners, and I think trail runners are better for general purpose hiking.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

Okay. I was looking at a MT10 or Trail Glove, so something like a MT110? What Saloman do you have?

I like the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2, but you really have to try some shoes on. Everyone's feet are different, so shoes I find comfortable might not be comfortable for you. The best is if you can get shoes from somewhere with a generous return policy like REI's, because then if you wear shoes for a few hikes and realize they're just not a good fit, you can take them back.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Get a gravity filter. They're way, way less work than pump filters.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

She just started the AT without much backpacking experience?? That's crazy sauce! I hope it goes well for her and she falls in love with it.

Lots of people start without much experience. They learn as they go. Some quit, but a surprising amount of them make it the whole way.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Might have to take me off the hiking list for a while :(

I'm getting arthoscopic hip surgery in a few weeks to correct femoral acetabular impingement and clean up damage I did to myself over years of hiking. No hiking for me for six months to a year.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Ouch. Sorry to hear. I am getting out so early due to scheduled surgery for a hernia, so I understand. Can you bike at least?

The physical therapy plan involves a significant amount of stationary biking every day. I might eventually be able to get out and ride my real bike around.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

REI is also better for car camping, day hiking, and traditional backpacking than it is for ultralight or long distance backpacking.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Speaking of REI, http://www.rei.com/share/adventure-kitten-gear.html

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I somehow avoided the Erwin plague last year. Everyone else got really sick and puked and shat all over.

I'm now in my second day of recovery from hip arthroscopy. Had multiple cartilage tears repaired and some deformed bone removed. Here's hoping I'll eventually be able to return to hiking. My leg is currently massively swollen and bruised and bandaged and I'm high as poo poo on meds.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

For day hikes it can be helpful to drink a liter of water before you actually head out.

A liter of water is a kilogram, which is 2.2 pounds.

I like to use a 3 liter/100 oz water bag.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

As for how much water to carry on a hike, it also depends on water sources along the trail. If there are creeks and streams and such along the way, you can carry less water and refill/treat along the way. However, in the desert, you're unlikely to find water, so you want to carry everything you'll need from the start.

You also don't need to carry all your water in a bag with a tube. You can have extra water in gatorade bottles or something.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Also consider using hiking poles. They improve your stability a lot.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Verman posted:

Anyone in here have experience with gravity filters?

I don't feel like pumping and I'm tired of boiling/chlorine tabs. I really like Platypus products, the bags are simple and pretty bomb proof let alone usually cheaper than the alternatives.

I was considering just buying the standalone filter and an extra bladder for dirty water which would only be about $60 versus the $120 they charge for a 2 bladder system with the filter. That would give me 2 - 100 oz. bladders, one for dirty water and the other for clean and allow me to fill the dirty bag and walk away from it.

Gravity filters are great. You won't regret getting one.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Lungboy posted:

I'm going to be hiking in Tuolumne with a shorter visit to Yosemite valley in August/September this year for the first time. Can anyone experienced with the terrain suggest the best footwear for the trip? It will be day hikes with a light pack, nothing too heavy. I don't want to carry full hiking boots if trail shoes will suffice, but I don't want to be twisting my ankle in trail shoes if things get too rough. Will I need full gtx boots at that time of year?

It often rains and occasionally snows at that time of year, but I would still wear non-goretex trail runners if I were you.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

REI is offering the Osprey Aether 70 next week for $205 (normally $280). Has anyone used this particular pack before? I have a Talon 22 and have really liked it. I've never purchased a multi-day pack--how many days would this be good for?

http://www.rei.com/product/846410/osprey-aether-70-pack

Would anyone recommend something else instead?

Osprey packs are nice. That pack is probably good for trips of a week or longer, depending on how much gear you pack, what sort of weather you're expecting, etc.

Go try it on and see if it's comfortable. Not every pack is comfortable for every hiker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any suggestions for a minimalist style hiking shoe / boot? I know there was some info about waterproof / not waterproof a couple of pages ago that I am going to go back and re-read. Pricing isn't really a concern.

[Edit: I can't imagine wearing high-top boots. Maybe something mid-top, but more likely a shoe-type fit unless anyone has a good argument for something else. Can you use gaiters with a shoe? Don't really have any experience with them.]

1. Solomon or Merrell trail runners are pretty popular. It depends on the shape of your foot. Go to the store and try on various trail runners.
2. Waterproof shoes take forever to dry out when you do get moisture inside, and they tend to hold in your sweat. In most situations you're better off with non-waterproof shoes.
3. Yes, you can use gaiters with a shoe. Look up Dirty Girl Gaiters, they're designed for use with trail runners.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do you just strap your tent on the bottom underneath the sleeping bag? I've only recently started hiking, so none of my packs have ever had some of the things that hiking packs do.

You can do whatever works for you. One of my tents has a separate pole bag, so I put the poles on the outside of my pack, and keep the tent itself on the inside of my pack. My other tent is a tarptent that doesn't come with poles, so it just goes inside my pack.