Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I just bought the Tarptent Contrail I'm very excited. I live in socal, should I seam seal it?

Seam sealing is super easy. Just mix the seam sealer with a bit of acetone to thin it, then gently brush it onto the seams. Shouldn't take very long to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Azzur posted:

My little sister is currently doing an AT Thru Hike solo and stopped off at Damascus for Trail Days. How bad is it over there? Reading this has me more than a little scared. Also, for someone who has no experience hiking, are their any recommendations for what I can do to get prepared for a short stint of hiking? I plan to meet her out on the trail some time in August to cheer her up.

Most of the preparations you need are mental. You need to be ready to be dirty, smelly, sweaty, cold, hot, itchy, hungry, tired, sore, etc. If you can stay cheerful and have fun despite the above, you'll have a great time.

From what I've heard a bunch of people got injured at Trail Days, but nobody died and only a few people got serious injuries. Certainly not ideal, but better than what you'd expect when a car plows into a parade.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

UglyDucklett posted:

A question about the appalachian trail. How did you get the 4-10 grand to do it in the first place? It'd take a few years to work up that kind of money, for me at least, and when people say "if you're thinking about doing it, just do it." It bugs me. 6000, to go one way comfortably, is not "just do it" money to me :(

I live really frugally, so most of my salary just goes into my bank account. Some people get sponsorships from various gear companies. You can also just spend very very carefully on the trail - buy cheap food, cook all your own meals, don't go out drinking, don't stay overnight in town, etc.

Unfortunately since my hike last year I've had to spend some $10k (and will probably have to spend more) on medical bills to fix my lovely hip :(

I love gear, but now that I have basically all the gear I'll ever need (ultralight solo gear as well as slightly heavier gear I can loan to friends or take car camping) I feel a little sad when there are REI sales and there's nothing I want. Right now the only thing I need is a new spork, because I seem to have lost my old one.

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 20, 2013

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

For socks I wear the thinnest artificial-fiber socks I can find, usually Injinjis, and then I wear breathable (non-waterproof) trail runners. That way I don't build up moisture in my shoes, and even when I step in puddles or hike in rain, the water drains out quickly and I don't get blisters.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

stupid puma posted:

Anybody here use permethrin? I never have, but most of my trips are usually at the beginning or end of the summer so I don't really have to worry about ticks and mosquitos too much. But this year I'm taking a BWCA trip in late June and I'm thinking about just treating the cuffs and collars of my clothes primarily to protect against deer ticks. Thoughts?

I soak my clothes and gear in permethrin to keep ticks and mosquitos away. It works pretty well. Just keep it far, far away from cats and fish (it's very toxic to them) and try not to expose yourself any more than necessary. It's harmless once it's dry, but when it's still liquid it's nasty stuff.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Alctel posted:

The only thing I'm worried about is keeping my down sleeping bag dry - it has a water resistant spray on but I'm still wondering if I should switch it out for a synthetic for this trip.

Line your pack with a trash compactor bag and your stuff should stay pretty dry.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

There are plenty of crampons that will strap onto any boot or shoe. You just have to buy the right crampons for your shoes and expected conditions.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I've recovered enough from my hip surgery that I can start hiking a little! I'm super excited to get back out there.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/day-hiking-checklist.html

You don't need everything on this list (it's way overkill), but it might give you some ideas.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Getting nice hiking clothes really isn't necessary. It certainly makes you more comfortable, but lots of people get along just fine with jeans or ordinary shorts or cotton t-shirts or whatever. I wouldn't bother getting new hiking clothes unless you plan to do a lot of hiking in the near future besides this trip.

Keep your hikes gentle and short and you'll have a good time. If you push it you might end up miserable.

I'd definitely go with the gatorade bottle plan suggested by PabloBOOM. They're cheap and very sturdy and you'll be able to easily carry several liters of water.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

If you can't get Osprey to repair it, see if you can just buy an aluminum rod at a hardware store and bend it into the correct shape.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

When you pack stuff into the BV500, poke holes in packaging and let the air out, then put a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Don't forget that your first day's worth of food doesn't have to fit in the bear can.

This might help too: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/food-planning-for-multi-day-hikes-and-thru-hikes/

And this: http://andrewskurka.com/2010/the-5000-calories-per-day-wilderness-diet/

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are fixed or folding knives generally preferred for multiday hikes?

Whatever's tiniest and lightest. You don't really need a knife for much. I carry a Leatherman Style CS and I'm pretty happy with it.

mastershakeman posted:

I take it the opinion on bear cans is pretty strong, but the rangers in Yellowstone told me they don't believe in bear cans at all and say to always hang your pack. There's no consensus on this at all, right?

The bears in the Sierras are very used to humans and will climb trees to get food. Bear cans are the only thing that work. It might be different in other parks. On the AT I carried an Ursack and I was pretty happy with it, but no bears ever attempted to get into it.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I agree with Verman. Check the packaging to see if the o-ring fell off. Otherwise, take it back to REI and get a replacement with an o-ring.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

There's nothing wrong with doing short hikes. Hiking isn't a competition. It's just about getting out and having a good time.

Last weekend I did two hikes, each about four miles long and on pretty flat ground. I had fun, and that's what counts!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I must be descended from camels or something. I live in Southern California, and I've gone hiking in 110 degree heat many times. I wear light colored pants, a light colored long sleeve shirt, and a light colored wide brimmed hat. Other than that, I don't do anything special besides hiking slower than I usually would. As long as I pay attention to my body, I never overheat or even sweat excessively. I do think it's an important distinction that Southern California tends to be very very dry, so sweating is actually very effective at cooling your body. If it was 110 degrees and humid it would be very different.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

The Wave is really cool, but be aware that permits to see it are very limited. Some are available ahead of time via a lottery system, while others are available the day of, but if too many people show up only some people get to go.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I've been using the same Tilley hat for ten years now. It still looks brand new.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

What do you even need wet wipes for? Just relax and be dirty. Also, if you use snow, leaves, rocks, or sticks, you don't even need TP.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Trails are often described as being much harder than they really are to scare off idiots who overestimate their own abilities and have to get rescued. Rescue operations are dangerous and costly, so parks try to avoid rescuing people if they don't have to.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Regarding the first aid discussion, take a wilderness first aid class! Most first aid kits are kinda useless if you don't know how to use them.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Aliass posted:

Does anyone know any good national parks in around the las angles area other than yosemite? Im trying to plan a trip over to la (from australia) and im thinking i would like to spend a few weeks hiking. Im a huge fan of anything involving mountains.

Also what would you guys recommend for a tent. Im thinking of flying over and then just buying something in rei beacuse itll most likely end up cheaper then anything i can buy in australia and i don't have a hiking tent here atm anyway.

Joshua Tree, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Death Valley, and the Mojave National Preserve are all really nice. Also, they're not national parks, but the Angeles National Forest and San Bernardino National Forest are nice, and they're much closer to LA.

An REI tent should work just fine, like the Half Dome or Quarter Dome. The employees at REI can help you pick something.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Tagra posted:

Are there any "on the trail" remedies to help prevent foot swelling? We have a multi-day hiking trip coming up in a few weeks, and when we did this last year my toes started to chafe at the very end because my feet had finally filled my boots. I bought some super padded hiking socks this time, but I'm not sure how much they will help. Our final day is the longest one so I just have to hobble back to the parking lot, but I'd like to know if there's anything extra I can do.

Elevation of affected areas is a pretty general purpose way to reduce swelling. At the end of each day, take off your shoes, lie down, and prop up your legs on a log or rock or something.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.nols.edu/portal/wmi/courses/

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

PyrE posted:

Sawyer related question. I left my Sawyer wet and it got musty. Mistakenly read the instructions and put a bleach mix through the filter. At least 12 liters of water later and I can still taste the bleach. The taste is pretty over powering. Did I just gently caress myself over into having to buy a new filter or will the flavor of bleach go away eventually?

Try emailing customer support at Sawyer?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

You could do the Narrows in Zion. I think it's a two-day hike if you do the whole thing.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Just shake it off and pack it up as best you can. Once it stops raining or you get home, set it up and let it dry off before packing it away for long term storage.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

If you're getting sick often, I'd suspect that you're not cleaning your hands with soap or hand sanitizer well enough before preparing food or eating. Either that, or one of your friends isn't cleaning their hands, and then they're touching your food.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Until you remember you have a condom in your medkit just like everyone told you to

Finally, someone who isn't afraid of bears.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Aliass posted:

Grizzleys seem scary but black bears dont really look all that scary. I should be fine hiking by myself in yosemite right? as long as i take the proper bear precautions?

Definitely. Just make sure you follow other common sense safety rules, like telling your friends and family your itinerary.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I hike alone all the time. There's nothing to be afraid of.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

How much do you really care about knowing the exact coordinates where you took your photos? I have a ruggedized point and shoot with GPS and the GPS just feels like a pointless gimmick.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Elijya posted:

Am in the middle of something resembling an AT thru hike, been having the time of my life. I'm home on a break now but will be leaving to jump back on Wednesday. Last time I dropped in someone asked for pictures, so here's some highlights from the first 200 miles http://imgur.com/a/oP97s

Nice photos! Keep it up :)

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Used underwear is often lighter than brand new underwear due to holes from wear and tear. Lighter is always better!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

The Light Eternal posted:

Where did I say that? This is always a contentious issue but I don't think it's too ridiculous to think that someone with a 100L pack could lighten up a bit. I mean seriously, 100L is huge.

Sorry, I wasn't being serious. Didn't mean to make you feel criticized or anything. I think your gear list is great.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

There's also a ton of information out there on how to make your own tents, packs, quilts, etc if you like DIY and you want to save some cash.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Look into tarptents (or similarly designed tents by other companies). They use your hiking poles to prop them up, so you don't have to carry dedicated tent poles.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Aliass posted:

Hey, USA goons. Does anyone know where in la i would be able to buy coleman cv270 or cv470 gas cannisters to suit my stove. Or will i have to buy a new one?

Should be easy to buy them at almost any sporting goods store. Big 5, Sport Chalet, REI, Sports Authority, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Levitate posted:

I just started musing about doing the JMT next year...how long do people usually take to do it? I'm not sure I could do the whole thing in one go, would probably have to take 3 weeks off of work to do that (which is possible but generally harder to plan)

I think the slower you can do the JMT, the more you'll enjoy it. I think people usually take two or three weeks to do it.