Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Black bears are very rarely aggressive. It's usually safe to stand your ground and wait for them to leave. However, there's nothing wrong with you turning around and leaving as well, though I'm not sure if actually running from them might invoke some sort of predator instinct. They're pretty timid animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Tigren posted:

A buddy and I are going to be doing 3 days and 2 nights in California's second largest state park, Henry Coe SP. We'll do about 45 miles and stop at two lakes. Thankfully we will be out by Sunday afternoon.

I just got my EE Revelation in and I can't wait to try it out. Babbies first quilt!

Henry Coe is awesome, but every time I've gone there I've run into tons of poison oak and ticks. Keep an eye out!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

khysanth posted:

Planning on a Joshua Tree NP camping trip this Halloween weekend and wanted to know any preferences you goons had for campsites and hikes. I've been once before and we stayed at Jumbo Rock which was pretty solid. We did some nearby trails and Ryan Mountain.

If you can find a campsite there, White Tank is great. Otherwise, Jumbo Rocks is the next best thing.

As for hikes, the Boy Scout Trail is fun, and Lost Palms Oasis is pretty.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

You can get tarptents that weigh well under a pound, if you want a tarp + bug netting. If you don't care about bug netting, you can go even lighter. You can also get a bivy sack, which is almost like a tent but smaller and lighter.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I have a Notch. It's great.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Can you just give your dog an old sleeping bag?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

Cat food can stoves are classic.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I hiked Mt Islip in the San Gabriel Mountains today. Photos: http://imgur.com/a/3eQQx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I use a Sansa Clip for my audiobooks. It's pretty much perfect for hiking.