Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

blue squares posted:

I've got a 4 day weekend coming up this weekend and I've been struck by the desire to do some hiking and trail running. I don't want to deal with much if any snow, though. I don't have the gear for it. I live in San Diego and I want to do something that's an 8 hour drive or less away. Everything I've looked at seems pretty snowy, though. The best I can find is Palm Springs, but it feels a bit like a waste of a 4 day weekend to go somewhere only two hours away. Any other ideas for good trails in Southern California that won't be inundated with snow?

you could try Joshua Tree (which isn't that far from Palm Springs, I know), it has some good hikes (Lost Palms Oasis and Ryan Mountain). Or Vegas is less than 8 hours away and there's some neat hiking around there, like in Valley of Fire State Park, and the railroad tunnel trail that goes along Lake Mead to the Hoover Dam.

I'm in Orange County and most of the hikes up here are snow-free. There are also some cool hikes in the Cleveland National Forest off Ortega Highway, the trail to Sitton Peak is like 10 miles and I only saw a few people the whole time I was out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Are there any places to actually backpack in Wisconsin? I see that there is the Ice Age Trail, but a some of it looks paved and they have a few campgrounds near it. I'm not sure I could just set up a tent wherever. I'm going to start with just day hikes and stuff but it would be nice to go backpacking in the future.

The Porkies in the UP of Michigan are like 20 miles away from WI and they're awesome. They even have yurts and rustic cabins to hike in to and stay. It sounds like you're at the other end of the state, though.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=426

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I hiked Olancha Peak this past weekend, it was hard/the longest dayhike I've ever done. It's a high Sierra peak directly off the PCT but with no trail. It's one of the Sierra emblem peaks and its the first prominence you see driving up the 395 through Olancha, before you get to Lone Pine and see Whitney. Extremely steep summit, 1600 feet rise in 1 mile, no trail. Hiked sunrise to 10pm.

You are hardcore! I did this trail just to the pass on Saturday and it kicked my rear end. Only saw two other people the whole day, which I loved. But I somehow managed to forget a spot sunscreen-ing up (I always do) and sunburned the backs of my knees :saddowns: