Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I was just in the porcupine mountains a couple weeks ago, and thank god i have water resistant boots because the amount of mud was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My first visit to Glacier NP.

:captainpop::derp::discourse:

I was there last year, was so loving cool.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

drat, was going to do Zion and Bryce this last May, but my group decided to cancel because of covid. Maybe next year.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Very rarely have the pictures i've gotten from bushwacking been worth the pain in the rear end it was in the end. However my dumb rear end will still go check poo poo out i hear about from other people on the trail and whatnot like a giant moron.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I'm a bigger guy so elevation is my nemesis. in 2019 I did GNP and the hike from the many glacier trailhead to the Ptarmigan pass was a brutal for me with 7 days of gear.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

My friend that does hammock camping uses a standard inflatable sleeping pad as insulation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I'm so jealous of how mountainous all of you guys' regions are compared to my area :v:

I'm from Michigan so while the lakes sure as hell help, my group focuses on mountainous areas for a drat good reason lol.

Though I do recommend Isle Royale to everyone I can though, as its a fantastic place. Its perfect for beginners to backpacking, and is a great place for more veteran hikers to have a lower stress. No bears or cougars, no deer ticks, there are wolves and moose, and the geography of the island means you hike through some wildly different types of forest. Treeless ridgelines, birch forests, pine forests, etc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ex Officios are amazing, I'm a bigger dude, so lovely underwear is how chafing happens, and they have never failed me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey all, looking for advice on two fronts for big boys like myself.

1) I already have a pair of heavier duty Scarpa SL Active boots which I use if I'm carrying heavier weight, uneven terrain or really going through heavy snow. But, I don't have any really light hiking shoes or boots that I can just throw on when taking the dog out to a muddy or packed snow hiking trail, so I need some lighter options. Typically I wear 13 or 13E. The width I need is more from the toe box (I have some awkward pinky toes that must have hammer toe or something), so it really depends on the shoe/boot if I go for 13E or 13. Any good options of light weight, mid height hiking boots I should look at for wider and large feet brethren?

2) I need hiking pants, just something all-weather for going on walks with the dog or hikes on a trail thats somewhat water/wind resistant, stretchy and comfortable. I'm a swole-fat type of body, so something that comes in size 40+ and with roomy thighs is a must.

I love these kind of hiking pants from Columbia. I'm 6'0 and wear a 38 inseam (and shrinking) and have never found them uncomfortable. They dry out real fast if wet from rain/sweat and the removable bottoms comes in handy more than you might think, even if its just unzipping it halfway for ventilation while hiking.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-silver-ridge-convertible-pants-AM8004.html?dwvar_AM8004_color=028&pos=0

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I use the cargo pockets all the time while backpacking since its a good place to put a bandanna or something lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey! I found a real wizard staff!

Real Wizard / Witch Staff | Real Quartz | Hand Made With ZERO GLUE | Entire tree and root system used | RARE Custom Made Staff

It's only $599.97. That's after a savings of $399.98 which of course is the standard price of a real wizard staff.

im the dirt still in the roots of a 600 dollar item

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Could also be for a person who has expressed that they'd like a wooden staff! I've used collapsible carbon poles, and they really are awesome, but I also like the sturdiness of the wooden staff for levering my goony rear end up the places where the trail suddenly becomes a rock face (not uncommon in NM). On the other hand I think I'd be laughed off most Serious Backpacking Sites for suggesting anyone consider such a thing, so if the recipient is a Serious Backpacker...

There are 2 groups of people that i see using wood staves on the trail. 1 is Dad's with the kiddos out for a day hike, and the other is clearly veteran hikers that are using them out of preference. The whole point of ultralight poo poo is to reduce your carried weight so that hiking is more fun and less strenuous. Then adding in things that you enjoy is the whole point. Those brazos one look nice as hell and I made a note of them cause those look great for dayhikes or a more even terrained backpacking trip.

As for levering oneself up, I dragged my fat rear end through a 7 day Glacier trip a couple summers ago and I never once felt the collapsible poles were not trustworthy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yep, I use cheap form fitting athletic shirts from target and have never had a complaint

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I'm an exoffico guy, and like others have posted there are a couple other competing brands that are as high of quality. I'm a bigger dude, and chafing is a very real risk while on long trips. Exoffico has made that worry a thing of the past, so I'm a lifer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yooper posted:

I went to reserve some sites on Pictured Rocks and Reservation.gov is already booked up tight. Backcountry permits available but any drivable campsite within the area are completely booked. Was debating an Isle Royale trip but I think it's going to be a circus this summer. Maybe I'll just go to Canada with the canoe.

Check Potato Patch over by miner's rock. Its technically backcountry but it is only like a 1/4 mile uphill from the parking lot, as long as you are not bringing a huge rear end tent i imagine it will function like a drive in easily enough.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yooper posted:

That's a decent option, I was hoping for Twelvemile and some beach frontage... Potato Patch is still decently close to Miners Beach so that might work.

Ah yeah that's an issue, its certainly not beachfront. Hurricane River is a great drive in site but I'm assuming that was included in the booked out sites you mentioned. I've also been to kingston lake which is a pretty site with a ~7 mile round trip trail to the lake.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

This. Don't get the Mini, even though it's smaller and cheaper. The Squeeze filters water 10x faster and doesn't suck to use. Don't bother with the plastic bags either, just get a $1 1L water bottle and screw it on there to filter into your other bottles.

The Katadyn is good too but I've seen them fail so I don't trust them as an only filter. EDIT: I was thinking of a different one from them, not the Befree.

the bags work fine and take up less space when empty.

https://cnocoutdoors.com/collections/hydration/products/vecto-2l-28mm?variant=20550036357209 if you don't mind shelling out 20 bucks, this works fantastic, and the face that you can just open the entire rear of the bag to easily scoop water makes it so much faster to fill, especially from lakes or ponds where you can't fully immerse a water bottle without getting wet yourself.

it also works wit ha sawyer which is what i use and together its a great system.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

The bags suck and rip open all the time IME. Went through 4 of them in a week. Bottle is an easier to carry form factor and you can just keep the filter on it and drink straight from there if your others are filled as well. Silicone bags are definitely better than the plastic ones from Sawyer but I find the bottle easier to use still, especially on East coast mountains where you might be trying to get a small trickle from rocks and small streams and such. Weight savings are signifiant too, <10g for the bottle vs 75g for that silicone bag.

Good points. For me, I prefer the versatility of the silicone bag in lieu of finding a place for a third water bottle as i normally carry 2 bottles for drinking, and then use the bag for dirty water.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh heck yeah. I was looking for this exact kind of setup. In the past I always had a pump type filter but took the Squeeze on our trip a couple weeks ago. We had a lot of spring fed ponds, but nothing was flowing to get a decent amount of water in the bags that come with. I ended up sacrificing my nalgene to scoop and pour into the bags in order to filter.

yeah, its surprising how often you end up filling from a lakeside or something that would require you to actually get your feet wet to fill up quickly, which on cold mornings or whatever can be less than ideal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Because I got thirsty and drank it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

I had a lady come in on Tuesday to buy hiking boots for a backpacking trip in Glacier she was leaving for the next day :rip:

Pouring one out for her feet

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I got nasty blisters on Isle Royale since a big chunk of the Greenstone Trail in one section is at an angle and I did not listen to my body enough. Never again.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bloody posted:

I got my first backpack in the rei sale. Is breaking in backpacks, like hiking boots, a thing? Not planning a particularly strenuous first overnight adventure but should I be doing anything before that?

Load it up to your packed weight and go for a walk/hike just to see if there is anything noteworthy and to adjust the fit. Can;t really hurt to be aware of any chafe points and whatnot, however most packs are designed well enough thats not an issue at all.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m looking for hiking / trail walking boots or shoes.

Looking for water proof because I go through muddy areas a lot. Or I suppose something that dries super quickly.

Any hot goon recommendations? The OP is nearly a decade old.

What type of trails? If its just muddy stuff in state parks, id say a pair of trail runners are your best bet. For backpacking or stuff in more treacherous ground, I fall on the side of proper hiking boots being the best option.

Trail runners dry out way faster than boots, and anything "waterproof" often isn't, and also just makes your feet sweat like hell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Hey thread. I believe I had a tick attached to me. But it appears to be dead. Seems like a dried out husk, and it looks like it's legs snapped off like i've seen happen with other dead bugs and it hasn't moved at all in over an hour. It has the orange and black coloring of a female deer tick. About the size of a flee.

Is my blood so toxic that I killed it? Or more likely it climbed on my friends dog first, received a lethal dose of tick treatment and in it's death throes, attached to me?

congrats on having acid blood like a xenomorph

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I'm a bigger guy, so a misstep means more weight going wrong on my ankle, so I like the security of having a good hiking boot on. Also for those mucky trails, they will not keep your feet dry, but they do often keep the worst of the mud and grime from getting to your socks, which is nice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bloody posted:

Olympic peninsula in Washington, just barely outside of the park boundary

E: Oh, right, that's the Olympic national forest. Hence the northwest forest pass

As others have said for camp, food hygiene and proper use of bear bags/canisters, sleep with your bear spray accessible, and earplugs.

While hiking, keep your head up if you are in the lead. Some people get bear bells but I find them more annoying than their worth. Normal conversation, as well as clapping your hands intermittently works fine. The point is bears hear as well (and as badly) as humans do, and you do not want to surprise them. So be extra alert when the trail gets tight or overgrown, or has a blind curve where a bear could be chilling minding its business.

If you see one, don't panic. the vast, vast, vast majority of the time, the bear just does not give a gently caress about the hikers. If you were making at least a modicum of noise, the bear heard you coming and is just not caring. Back away slowly, spread your arms wide to look bigger, and make sure the bear can see there is multiple of you. Almost always the bear will just mosey away. If it starts moving closer, that's when you start hollering and get ready to spray them. Its like anything, don't escalate if you don't need to.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

keep in mind campsites are passing interests for bears and mountain lions. they don't hang out in them long at night waiting for campers to go take a piss. they are busy out doing bear and mountain lion stuff. they pass through sometimes since they are often by trails the animals use as well, but if there is no food to catch their interest they move on in short order.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Natty Ninefingers posted:

I’ve been up and down Duckabush and Dosewallips, and never even seen a bear. Bears that I have seen elsewhere either ran as soon as they noticed me or were only interested in huckleberries

I saw 3 black bears in olympic in one trip, and yeah all of them were mostly worried about huckleberries

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hammock camping in the Pecos Wilderness in NM last summer, woke up to rustling nearby. I turned on my headlamp and saw what I assume was a packrat. I whispered angrily at it (to avoid waking my friend nearby) and it ran away, but at some point in the night it managed to completely devour the straps on my hiking poles. Luckily I had my pack hanging on a tree or the hike out might have been much more challenging.

I'm heading back to isle royale this summer and the red squirrels there will absolutely do this, and it's safer to keep everything in your tent as a result lol ( no bears on IR)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Rolo posted:

Hiking in 80-90 degrees isn’t fun but the biggest thing driving me to set an early alarm is the people that come to the trail at 11am.

I loved my Rocky Mountain hike and everyone should get to experience it but urrrrgh the last 2 miles back to the car was the worst hiking ever. Sorry your suburban brats are miserable but they’re sulking in the middle of the trail next to the guys who brought a speaker.

My group tends to break camp around 8:30-9. Later than some, but we normally plan around 8-12 miles a day since we stop for a lot of pictures, good lunch spots, etc, and that's plenty of time to the next site. However if its a first come first serve site we are headed to we are on trail ASAP

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dance McPants posted:

Has anyone here ever portaged solo? I'm planning on going back to Isle Royale National Park this August and would like to see it by kayak this time. The trail/water guide I have says the route I want to do could be done comfortably in 6-7 days, and none of the portages are longer than 2 miles and most are moderate difficulty. I have a few days experience on a sea kayak (I think that's what they rent there), went on a few backpacking trips and did my last one to the park solo and hiked more than twice what I'll be doing on this trip, but something about open water scares me a bit. This route is supposed to be beautiful and if I found anyone who both wants to go and has the PTO to do it I'd bring them along, but it looks like it's just me. Do y'all think I have a fair chance of not dying or needing a coast guard rescue?

Are you circumnavigating the island or are you taking the kayak/canoe routes through the interior of the island? Lake Superior is always dangerous in rough weather but I'd assume you would be close enough to shore at any moment that if dangerous weather seems to be kicking up that you can find a spot pretty easy to get the kayak out of the water. I'm going to be heading there this summer for a backpacking trip as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dance McPants posted:

I'd be going through the established route down Rock Harbor to Moskey basin, through the North inland lakes to the Five Fingers, then portaging back to Rock Harbor. It's theoretically all sheltered from the open water and there are spots that it gets choppy but nothing like rawdogging Lake Superior in a kayak.

What's your itinerary? I took the Rock Harbor trail to Lake Richie then followed the Greenstone Ridge trail to Windigo and had a blast. Ran into a few moose too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=immPGBeEIwg

Heading up the Minong from Windigo. Then over to Lane Cove as it's one of the most picturesque sites I have ever camped at, then finishing at rock harbor.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dance McPants posted:

I heard that about Lane Cove from the hikers I met, and I'm gonna budget an extra day or two to hopefully camp there for a night after I return the kayak in Rock Harbor. I also heard the Minong is rough and rocky but doable and I'd like to try it next time I go (or this time if the kayak plan falls through), and to avoid the Feldtmann Ridge trail as it's "a waste of time" according to some random people I met in Windigo.

Yeah the minong is supposed to a lot of up and down all day, so I'm expecting those days to be a bit rough, but worth it. I doubt it will be as rough as stuff I have done in Glacier, at least there is no elevation to worry about.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The inland lakes on IR are indeed warmer, and where OP is going top be in Superior, they will never be far from shore, so worst case is having to just drag the thing up on a rocky beach and wait out a storm. On the northern end of the island its hundreds of small islands, so the waves are also not as dangerous if they kick up since there are a lot of things to break them up. But in general Superior is always something to be wary of.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

When I did a backpacking trip at IR 20 years back there was a storm that came in on our departure day, so instead of taking the bigger and smoother of the two ferries we had to take the smaller one in 4-5 foot swells and it was a nightmare

Yeah, if you can afford it, take the plane, its a dope as gently caress experience, and its only 45 mins. Only negative is you need to be ready to get stuck there if weather comes through. My first time there we got a sliver of service on a short 2nd to last day, saw 24+ hrs of rain, and ended up pushing through all the way to Windigo. We then sat at the windigo visitors center the entire next day drinking wine and eating lovely pizza with other people stuck there since the planes were not flying. It actually kinda owned lol.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I cannot recommend permethrin enough as a Frontline for humans. At least our clothes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

cerious posted:

I've started backpacking lately and I've been very spoiled with the places I've been going to. My first 3 trips so far have been to South Sister, Mount Jefferson, and Mount Rainier last weekend. I've gone with friends the first two times but my friend had to cancel last-minute for Rainier and I decided to go solo anyways since I had a permit.

I didn't have reception at all but I figured that it being a national park and my itinerary being a segment of the northern loop trail, as long as I stuck to the trail I would manage OK, since reports were the trail conditions were good and I would be seeing people both ways. I just let a friend know that I'd be heading out and then let them know when I got back once I was in reception range.

At what point is a sat com a requirement? Is it based on just trail length or remoteness, or just every time you go outside with no reception by yourself?

its your personal comfort and ability to afford them. people did this for decades without sat com. being outside reception does indeed raise the potential risk, as its a useful modern safety net. its the difference between a broken leg being a potentially life threatening issue and a terrible but "safe" experience.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

a sat phone will not stop you from bleeding out or dying due to a fall. its to stop a broken leg from being a deadly situation, or a serious illness from becoming a severe one with no treatment. and if i am the 1 in a million guy who gets mauled by a bear, id be drat happy to have people looking for me as i struggle back to the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ras Het posted:

The dark rye bread we eat here in Finland lasts a week easily and dries before it goes moldy, but idk how much of a thing it's in the states

There are bread options for sure but my clumsy rear end will always crush them while backpacking, tortillas for life