Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

While we're kind of talking about kayaking, does anyone have any PFD recommendations for canoeing/kayaking? I know this isn't really the appropriate thread, but I'm not sure where else to discuss. After a tipped canoe scare in the Boundary Waters last year, I've decided it's time to stop being an idiot and wear a PFD at all times when in the canoe. I'm leaning toward an automatic or manual inflatable for the reduced weight, heat, and arm restriction. I've heard mixed reviews, though - some people don't think they're reliable, some don't think they're comfortable, etc. Anyone have any thoughts? There's a 35lb-float manual model at Cabelas that I have my eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

MMD3 posted:

are you or anyone familiar with a good iOS offline GPS mapper? A friend of mine was showing me Orux maps on Android and it pulls topos and satellite maps from Google from the looks of it. It'd be amazing if there was something similar for iPhone. I've seen a few offline gps mappers but not sure if any of them are as good and they cost ~$10 so I'd rather get some recommendations before I start purchasing them.

People on an outdoor forum I post on recommend Motion-x GPS. I haven't tried it on a trip yet, but from the little I've messed around with it it seems legit. Not sure where it pulls its maps from. It's a little hard to figure out how to use at first but I think it's free so you can try it out and just delete it if you don't like it.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

After using a friend's gravity filter last year I'm pretty convinced its the only way to go.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

If you do any fishing on your trips, collapsible tables like that are great for cleaning fish.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Packs are one of those things that it'd be nice to have the REI return guarantee on in my opinion, though.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Huh? You can return packs. Anything you get at REI is returnable, unless bought at the used gear sale.

But that's my point?

I'd rather buy a pack at REI because if it randomly rips at a seam 3 years from now through no fault of your own you can return it or replace it no questions asked.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

In A Walk In The Woods, Bill Bryson talks about some story where a mother puts honey on her kid's hand to have a bear lick it off at some campsite iirc. People are dumb.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I've used an MSR Miox (which I think is discontinued), a Pur Katadyn and a Sawyer Gravity Filter. I'd say that if you have more than just a puddle from which to get water then go with a gravity filter. They're super easy to use.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have an Osprey Aether 82 and it's awesome. It's big as gently caress and pretty heavy but I'm 6'4" so it's not too disproportionate on me. I use it for 5 day trips into the boundary waters. Although it seemed like overkill at the time, I use all the space for my gear plus fishing tackle and other non-essential items that I wouldn't take if I weren't paddling in a canoe for most of the trip, like a weather radio. Anyway, it is easy to fit to your body, comfortable and durable as hell. I'd highly suggest going to REI or similar to try on packs so though so you can choose the one you find most comfortable.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Speleothing posted:

How well does that portage? I've always preferred duluth-style packs for Boundary Waters trips, on the principle that I'd like to carry it and the canoe.

I know some people swear by Duluth-style packs. I've never tried one but from what I've seen I gotta believe Osprey packs are more comfortable when you're wearing the pack. I usually single-trip portage with the pack on my back (usu 55lbs or so) and the canoe on my shoulders (around 47lbs). For the average BWCA portage it's a good system but I've done longer, hilly 360 rod+ portages like this and it was pretty lovely - mostly because of the added canoe weight though, not because of the pack comfort.

Do you leave your Duluth packs in the canoe on portages? The one drawback of the Osprey is it doesn't fit real well in the canoe because its so long. You sort of have to prop it up on the middle bar which makes the canoe a little unstable in the water. No tips yet though (knock on wood).

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Ospreys have tons of compression straps. I've never had a problem securing loads for weekend trips in my gigantic 82L. You'll be fine.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have an Arcteryx soft shell and it's awesome. I'd imagine that jacket is great as well. If I could afford it I'd buy all Arcteryx stuff. It all fits really well if you've got an athletic or skinny build.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Anybody here use permethrin? I never have, but most of my trips are usually at the beginning or end of the summer so I don't really have to worry about ticks and mosquitos too much. But this year I'm taking a BWCA trip in late June and I'm thinking about just treating the cuffs and collars of my clothes primarily to protect against deer ticks. Thoughts?

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

You mean like a list? On paper?

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I've never returned any used REI stuff but I liked the idea of being able to return things that I might use a couple of times a year a little longer than a year after purchase. It's not often that a water purifier or something I rarely use shows a defect on first or second use. Looking at the return area of my local REI and seeing the reasons people return stuff from a couple years ago, it's not surprising they did this though.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

For those of you looking for a camera case, a properly sized Pelican case works well depending on what you'll be doing and how rough you'll be with your camera. I'll be heading into the boundary waters next weekend and one of the smaller cases works perfectly for my Sony NEX. It's a lot of weight, but obviously with the canoeing factored in it needs to be waterproof and I'll only really notice the weight on portages.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

That's definitely true. I would never take it on a hike. But with the modular foam inside those things and the waterproofness there really is no better case if you can spare the room and weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have an inflatable Big Agnes too. Although mine is non insulated. I love it. If I had to buy it again I'd go with the insulated version, though, as mine tends to be a little rough if it dips below 50ish degrees. I also do base camping, though. If I were moving night to night it might be a pain to blow up 5 days in a row.