Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

in a place called chadron until sunday, looks like this from the (car) campsite:

looking forward to walking around in the not-quite-sandhills, not-quite-black-hills terrain of the pine ridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

charliebravo77 posted:

This is one of my favorite, underrated places in the US, the sandhills too.

It's far enough from practically everywhere citywise that it's not chock full of shitheels, which is a nice feature even if we had to drive almost 8 hours.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xzzy posted:

I've tried to sell people on the northern border of Nebraska in general and just get laughed at.

Whenever we road trip I try to pick a different US route that isn't an interstate, and one year we did US-20. It was gorgeous through there. Fort Robinson SP in particular was a highlight.

Yeah the Merritt reservoir and attached area is insanely good for stargazing. There's fuckall for light pollution and when the moon's gone the milky way is enough to cast a shadow

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sup, idk why there's LTE here but have signal will post

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

last night's sunset from the campsite

Today's hike:

getting up there was fine and nice but coming back down absolutely kicked my rear end because the trail disappeared and we just kinda thumped down in thigh high grass and soft sand. There's no prohibition against going off trail but I try to avoid it when I can but :coolspot: I didn't leave the trail, the trail left me. :coolspot:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the flooding last year really wrecked poo poo in the state parks along the Missouri, and covid has done a number on their ability to repair the damage. The Indian cave state park boardwalk that goes up to the cave so you can see the petroglyphs and decades/centuries-old graffiti has been closed long enough that it's giving off real-rear end TLOU vibes at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chard posted:

out here in CA we get hantavirus from mouse turds, im scared of those little evil pellets

I can't imagine having to be on the lookout for stuff about as big as 2-3 grains of rice

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Iowa doesn't maintain the trails in their state parks very well holy poo poo

one of three "climb-through" size downed trees in a 5 mile loop, but at least it was mostly dirt rather than overgrown grasses. Only one tick though, caught it before it latched on even.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have to imagine after the derecho of last year that they are pretty far behind in trail maintenance.

Waubonsie is way down south and on the NE border,, I'm not sure they caught any part of that derecho.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VideoGameVet posted:

Hiked to Lake Cora in the Mt. Rainer WA area yesterday and took one my best photos ever:

liking how the smoke gives it an almost pastel dreamy quality, great work

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes. Sadly true.

as someone who has had a trip this weekend in a dark sky area planned for months I'm also a little pissed but maybe observation conditions won't be so bad if the wind is agreeable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xzzy posted:

The smoke map is loving dire right now for dark sky travel unless you can get to Utah. Obviously the local conditions change day by day but there is still so much stuff burning there's always fresh smoke to move in even if the winds are favorable.

I have a plan to do the Perseids in a week, and have three general regions picked out and I'll head for whichever one has the best forecast. If BWCA is still socked in, it's gonna be Nebraska's sand hills. If that's socked in I'll get real mad and make do with a shorter drive to a more light polluted area near me.

gently caress climate change and gently caress light pollution.

Merritt Reservoir is where I'm headed, so I've been hoping the fickle currents aloft play ball (it's a state astro society event so if it's not good for the dudes with like 18in dobsonian beasts I'm sure they'll make it known)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xzzy posted:

Yeah, that's a popular astro site. But I'm an artsy fartsy nerd with a DSLR that wants some kind of interesting foreground so I keep hunting for cool silhouettes like trees or a rock formation. So I got my eyes on the Bessey unit of the national forest or Toadstool geologic park.

That sounds rad as hell but I sure ain't got the chops to make a shot like that work in post (assuming you're stacking exposures to keep things from leaving trails). Wish I did though!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xzzy posted:

I tried it a few years ago during the last favorable moon conditions and it was rough.. city glow made blending the shots extremely difficult because as the night went on and the camera pointed more vertical the color of space changed. It just didn't work. Hoping a class 1 site makes it doable.

And in other news, we toured an accessible part of the parks ranger district where the east troublesome fire burned last summer. All trails are still closed so we could only hike along CO-4 (dodging constant UHV traffic) but it was still super interesting to see a recently burned forest.

I'd rather the forest still be there but it was pretty in its own way. Fireweed is commanding the hills right now.

We tried to visit the burn scar in RMNP too but they are pretty strict about cats being stopped on the road in there and all the turnouts are blocked. So it was kind of a bust hiking in there. Lots of elk though.

Last I was out there was like 2016 and it was stunning, like "sleeping weird for a week because my neck got all hosed up from looking at the sky so much" stunning, but I can't speak to the real fine details of light pollution because it's been so long. If you want I can just point my Canon off towards Valentine and give it 20s or so to give you an idea of what the glow looks like - might not be able to post until Sunday though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gohuskies posted:

This was the PCT going from Snoqualmie Pass to Kendall Katwalk yesterday. Some people don't mind backpacking in this, some people do.

And at the pass itself:

Those footsteps look slushy as hell but it might just be the way the camera's processing the color.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

so does thingvellir count as a hike

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rolo posted:

In my experience it’s viral because everyone is calling her a moron, even on Instagram.

Edit:

the cool thing about the algorithm is that it doesn't care whether they're really saying boo-urns only that they're there

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ok Comboomer posted:

there’s a low-key epidemic of social media channels that will deliberately post “animal husbandry” videos that juuust skirt the line of obvious abuse but are obviously meant to raise the hackles of viewers, and then rake in a bunch of cash from the “engagement” before their eventual/inevitable banning. Probably just enough to make a couple thousand USD. Then wash, rinse, repeat with a new account and IP.

You’ll go into the comments and just see thousands of people going “I reported this” and the uploader’s just hearting/thumbs-upping every single one because that’s what the algorithm likes to see

strangely this is constantly observed but rarely applied by folks who seem like they could really use the money though, and that's a bummer.

E: found a wonderful new use for the REI Flash 18, and that's as a handy little daypack for traveling. I rolled that puppy up, stuffed in a side pocket on my carryon wheelie, and had a blast given it's somehow super comfy despite looking like it's a child's backpack sizewise because I'm 6'4"

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 8, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t know what this is supposed to mean

basically "why is it always douchebags doing the scamming, and for douchey reasons"

that said, I'm thinking about doing a weekend trip over to the driftless area, up around where IA/MN/SD/IL meet. Has anyone been around there before, have any recommendations? I plan on taking my car and also a kayak, but if folks recommend any great trails I'd be grateful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilpicard posted:

What do you guys think about getting a nail surgically removed ~ 5 days before a hiking trip. On a scale of moderately bad idea to very bad idea?

It's a great idea if you like learning

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah if you are really into being outdoors but haven't shaken the jitters around being alone in the woods, camping with friends/family/the dog is a real good way of getting at least your foot in (out?) the door and learning what you do and don't really use when camping for example.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if the "make yourself big and loud" trick works on deer too or if they think your stick(s) are antlers and decide to throw down

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah love to let my dog run off and eat someone's dropped raisins/grapes or worse

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xzzy posted:

European colonists loved doing that. If it's a unique geologic feature, they probably named it after the devil. Not sure why god can't make beautiful rocks but I wasn't there to cast a vote.

so the grand tetons are by this explanation the devil's own

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

17 mile loop seems ambitious for a day hike in 100 degrees or anywhere near it in that kind of dry, but I'll freely admit I'm no trail god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Red posted:

Can anyone recommend socks to wear that during extended time outside in freezing temperatures that have some shelf life?

I had liked Carhartt socks, but they seem to wear out so quickly. I have some great heavy duty Fox River socks, but I was just hoping I could find something equally warm that didn't run $20 a pair.

Darn Tough makes some full cushion heavyweight socks that get really close to the heavy carhartts in my experience, with all the upsides of wool and the lifetime guarantee, but they're $33 a pair.
https://darntough.com/collections/weight-heavyweight/products/unisex-merino-wool-t4050-tactical-otc-heavyweight-tactical-socks