Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I worked at an outdoor school for two years, going on trips with students in the upper midwest. We did biking, hiking, and canoeing trips including a trip to the Boundary Waters. If anyone has questions for beginners trying to get started or about places in the upper midwest around Lake Superior I can probably answer or at least give some guidance.

Edit: Also been living out in western new mexico the past three years, I can give some tips for out here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Looking for a small item I can give to the GF as a stocking stuffer for Christmas that is hiking/camping/outdoors related.

I was thinking about getting her a pair of YakTrax but from the reviews they don't seem very durable for actual hiking.

Any ideas?

Smartwool socks are always nice to get.
depends on what other outdoors activities you are thinking of....

camp kits (bowls/cup/utensils) lightweight is good
toiletry kits (soaps/TP/etc)
hikers first aid kits

Just look on any of the major camping sites (campmor, moosejaw, rei, etc) for stocking stuffer ideas.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

I've dealt with -25 air temps (not counting wind chill) and colder in northern WI/MI and I've found that some balaclavas/facemasks don't work very well in high winds or if you wear glasses. I had to resort to a thick wool scarf wrapped around several times to block the wind. Once you start breating into it, it helps pre-warm the air. The best option is to breathe through your nose, but if you get all stuffed/runny that might not be an option. You'll probably have to experiment until you find a workable solution.