Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Verman posted:

Maybe 30 minutes into my hike I get to sourdogh gap, and see a group of people staring uphill at a large brown fuzz ball. I named it mudflaps because it had a big ole behind.

It is the season for bears to get chonky. Katmai National Park is having their annual Fat Bear Week competition right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

What lens/lenses do you bother to bring? Last time I backpacked on Mount Whitney, I brought an 18-200 lens and my Peak Design carbon fiber tripod in its lightweight short configuration.

Edit: oh duh, I realized you already said, you bring the 24-70. I think that seems like a good range, I didn't find myself using the 200 end much, though it was nice at times to help frame up a shot differently. I suppose I could've achieved the same thing with less weight by just cropping in post given how many megapixels we have these days.

Sunrise from Trail Camp, Mount Whitney

Muir fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 18, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir posted:

Sunrise from Trail Camp, Mount Whitney

A couple more from that Mount Whitney trip and nearby Eastern Sierra

And a couple black and whites from Yosemite

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But yeah, Grand Canyon is such an amazing and incredible place. And it's constantly changing—like, yeah, the rocks are all the same, but your perspective can completely shift depending on the weather, lighting, and wildlife. Absolutely one of my favorite places on earth.

I'm spoiled for choice in California but I really need to get out to the Southwest. I've briefly been to Petrified Forest, but I haven't been to Grand Canyon or any of the Utah parks.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I love my Prana Strech Zion for everything. Seconding the underwear angle as well. Ex Officio Give-N-Go is my preference by far, and I've tried a lot of synthetic hiking underwear.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do any of you have recommendations for a camera bag? I bought a cheap one off amazon, and I realized after a few hikes that it is way too cramped for everything I carry.

I like most anything Peak Design makes, including their Everyday Backpack.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oklahoma is not the Midwest and I will die on this hill

"Great Plains" and "Midwest" are two distinct and non-overlapping categories.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

EatenRamen101 posted:

Southeast michigan recommendations?

I went camping at Pinckney State Recreation Area once, it was nice. If you want to get away from things a bit you can do the hike-in site at Blind Lake on the Potawatomi Trail, that should keep you away from RVs and crowds.

https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/ParksandTrails/Details.aspx?id=445&type=SPCG
https://thedyrt.com/camping/michigan/pinckney-blind-lake-rustic-hike-in

Muir fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 1, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Considering a late October road trip from Las Vegas to Santa Cruz - the route more or less through Death Valley, up the eastern Sierras, past Mt. Whitney, and making a stop in Yosemite.

Is is too late for that time of year? I figure it's always pretty dry on the eastern sierras anyway, maybe Yosemite would be a bit of a coinflip. But winter gets later every year...also, I don't expect I'll be getting up Mt. Whitney, but are there some decent day hikes around there?

It'll depend on the year, but if the passes are open, going up 395 is my absolute favorite. Even if 108 and 120 are closed, you can go up to Tahoe and cut over on 50. The Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in Inyo National Forest is like nowhere else. You can drive up to the visitor center at 10,000 ft and see millennia-old trees, and go on some hikes. The Manzanar National Historic Site is poignant and very worth seeing -- one of the Japanese internment camps. As for Mt Whitney itself, you can hike up a bit of the way to some of the lakes before entering the permit-controlled zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I just buy Darn Toughs now.