Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a youtube video that goes over basic wilderness first aid?
It's pretty much "bands aids on things that can be addressed with them, gauze/tape/compression for everything else, and get the gently caress off the mountain for anything worse."

Unless you have some sort of EMT/Combat training and then you can do crazy poo poo but the next step is always "get the gently caress off the mountain and to real help."

e: and I sure as hell wouldn't go off of anything on Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Get a cheap one because I've lost three loving hats

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

reported for trolling

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cram tent/fly into a compression bag, lash the stakes/poles to the outside of your pack.

I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1. It goes together fast and put up with an enormous thunderstorm or three recently. The two person version is pretty similar. That said, I wish I could put up the fly first and then the tent without having to use a footprint. That's worth looking into.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Just spend it all in Glacier. You'll want to.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Well, holy poo poo, I love Glacier and am just starting to get into summitting things there. That looks great.

...Mt. Wilbur is impressive. Here's what it looks like from the lake, for the rest of you. That pic above is made from the area up in the clouds.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 13, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Goddamn. I keep looking at those photos. (I mean how the gently caress did you get to the top of Bird Woman Falls) I'm just starting to get into basic mountaineering just because I want to get to places like that. Unfortunately I live in a pretty flat place far away from everywhere I love to go, so it's going to go slowly and finding partners I trust will be challenging as well.

It's stuff like you posted that are going to make me do it, though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wow, thanks. I looked up Bird Woman and it wasn't the one I was picturing, I see how you could get there.

I wasn't planning on going back this year, but maybe... it's hands down the most beautiful place I've ever been and sounds like an accessible place to learn.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Black bears are sissies, especially if you behave correctly.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

icecastle posted:

I'm going to Rocky Mountain National Park pretty soon. Can someone recommend some trails?
Pretty much anything from the Bear Lake trailhead is lovely. However, everyone else thinks that too. But it's RMNP in summer, so

(go in the winter it's awesome)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Chlorine or iodine tablets kill the things living in the water. If you follow directions they work in any water, no matter the amount of sediment.

Water with lots of sediment clogs filters more quickly than clear water. All filters clog. You get what you pay for, especially in ease of cleaning/backflushing said filter.

UV treatment kills the living things, including viruses. It works less well in heavily sedimented water; use a prefilter (a shirt is enough) in those cases.

Viruses are not an issue in North America.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

alnilam posted:

Water talk!
If I had to guess, your filter is leaking somewhere. I know, anecdotal, but anything other than the most expensive filters have felt unreliable to me; I don't use one and use a Steripen instead. Three years on, hundreds of gallons of water, some of it from water I KNEW would make me sick if untreated, and I've never had so much as a weary fart.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

As another anecdote, I never wash my hands while backpacking, and again, have never been sick.

mastershakeman posted:

I hate my steripen. It seems like over half the time I try to use it, it just flashes red at the end and I have no idea why. Sometimes it works in the morning but not the night before, with the same water source. Ugh.

Also, it's pretty impossible to use where there's minimal water flow - spots where you can pump from are often impossible to scoop water from into a bottle to then steripen.
The only time I have issues is if I let the batteries get cold (around freezing). A couple minutes under my armpit and they're good. This is rare, though; I sleep with it in my bag, and if it's that cold during the day I'm probably melting snow or ice or drinking from a source that I'm sure has had no little furry things making GBS threads in it.

I also use the previous version of this: http://www.steripen.com/ultra/ which doesn't sound like yours.

I carry iodine tablets in the case that it bites the dust.

As for water flow, I tend to backpack in areas that don't have that problem. It is certainly a limitation of a Steripen.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If you're venturing into that territory, get an axe too.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Don't buy mountaineering boots for general snow/ice travel. You'll hate it. Get strap on crampons for your otherwise good backpacking boots and some gaiters for those long snowfields and icy bits. You'll know when you need mountaineering boots (hint: you'll need ropes too).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You can bring bear spray across the border as long as it is explicitly labelled as for use on bears, according to tons of documentation I've read, including hearing it personally from rangers in Glacier. No personal experience however.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I.G. posted:

A good map probably has the highest ratio of usefulness to price of any hiking equipment.
Until you remember you have a condom in your medkit just like everyone told you to

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BeefofAges posted:

Finally, someone who isn't afraid of bears.
Hahahahahaha

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

No.

e: the new policy is only for things bought AFTER they enacted said policy. I've returned things more than a year old since they enacted the new policy. No problem.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I hike alone and I am apprehensive of bears.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cool poo poo.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I would just buy one. It's not like it will ever break. You'll get a lifetime of use out of it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I am going to be graduating in Dec and will probably be without a job, so I am coming up with cheap traveling ideas. Where would you guys hike if you wanted to avoid lots of snow? I don't mind cold and some snow, but I don't want to be snowshoeing around or stomping through a ton of it since I am a southern boy. I was thinking maybe southern New Mexico, the Death Valley area since I haven't been, and maybe start in Big Bend since I live right around there. Thoughts on places to go both in the truck and on foot?
That's the best time of year for Big Bend, if you ask me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Sneffles is an awesome climb with one of the best views I've ever experienced.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

goddammit everytime you post I get mad at myself for not living in Montana.

You are doing the exact peaks I wish I were doing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

tofes posted:

I decided not to go with the Marmot since it only has a door on one side, and then I found out my mom has a LL Bean gift card she doesn't want so I think I'm gonna go with one of their tents http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72837?feat=1096-GN2&page=microlight-fs-2-person-tent&attrValue_0=Pewter&productId=1217293
Looks a whole lot like a rebadged Big Agnes Copper Spur, but I don't know of Big Agnes doing that sort of thing. Who knows if it's of similar quality.

Some of the hardware is different upon close inspection, but it's obviously an inspiration.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I use my phone the same way. Only gets turned on if I'm totally unsure about something. It's fine.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hypnolobster posted:

For people backpacking with a phone for GPS, it's worth noting that the iPhone 5 apparently drains the battery when the sim is locked/things turned off/etc like a sonofabitch. The iPhone 4 (and probably lots of android phones) can be brought all the way down to ~%4 drain while asleep per day.
It doesn't though. Evidence: I have used it for days while off/airplane mode and it only went to 90%.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Levitate posted:

It was really warm for the season so it didn't test the lower limits or anything, but I was drat warm up top. My feet felt a little weird...not cold but cooler than other stuff? Maybe I just have bad circulation cuz it felt like that regardless of my position. I'll have to experiment with it, play with moving the down from baffle to baffle, play with the straps some more, etc.

I did find that I need to figure out a pillow that works better for me cuz I spend too much time trying to get my head comfortable
I struggled with pillows for a long time, bought all kinds of different inflatable/compressible things, until someone said "stuff your fleece inside it's sleeve."

It's not the Hilton, but it's as close to perfect as I'm gonna get.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thin breathable socks and lose the "waterproof" shoes/boots if you're wearing those.

When I'm hiking in snow my feet of course get wet from sweat; fresh socks at night and maybe some balm on them takes care of that and they're good to go the next day. That's a good tactic for not-snow conditions too.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I guess a tarp, ground cloth, and bug net would take care of all my worries, but that's a good chunk of change to replace a tent I'm already happy with and adds 12 ounces.

Hopefully I can try it out someday.

Is there not some sort of huge A-frame tarp that has a big net built into the open ends and an integrated ground cloth? Then you get the ventilation and space of a tarp, and the protection of a traditional tent. You could just make the netting and floor baggy so you can still pitch the tent at a variety of angles. The increased ventilation/no more condensation is more appealing to me than the weight savings, really, when it comes to tarps and all that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

On the ultralight topic, I finally made one of those fancy feast can stoves.

I have seen the light. It's awesome.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You got somewhere you need to be?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The waterproofing is what's doing it. It keeps moisture in as well as it keeps it out.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've used the same Smartwool halfzip up top and mediumweight leggings for cold weather for two years and i love them. If you want polypro I have a set of lighter North Face stuff and I also quite like that.

The wool handles funk better but can develop a little stretch in between washings. Polypro stays as snug as when it was put on, but can hold scent after washing. I think it dries a little faster too, if you're after that. I find the wool warmer though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 15, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If it rains that much a rain jacket don't matter. You're gettin' wet.

Awesome hike. Idaho ftw

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Was little bear as dangerous as its reputation? How was the climb? Just helmets and a huge set of balls (metaphorically)?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Josh Lyman posted:

How closely do your softshells fit? The Venta SV fits fairly large and long on this guy but he's a skinny fucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CYWr7vcLk
I'm 5'8", 195, and in pretty good shape and I bought a large softshell and fleece in March. I took them back for a medium in both (Marmot) because they felt huge. I figured the extra size would be fine, I don't care how it looks, and I have more space for layers, but it ended up that it was hard to use pockets and everything was bunching up all the time and the hood was awful.

Now my softshell is just big enough for a wool shirt baselayer and a fleece or puffy underneath it. So it's fairly snug, but comfortable. But it's cut in a way that I can still lift my arms fine and the waist doesn't shoot up to my nipples.

If you're a beanpole, a jacket that sits at your waist correctly will seem baggy.

Obviously try poo poo on and buy from somewhere that has a good return policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I dunno if this fits your requirement but my next pair of slacks that aren't matched to a jacket are gonna be these: http://www.betabrand.com/gray-dress-pant-sweatpants.html