Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Christmas came early! Been doing some light bike camping, but filled out my kit nicely with some Amazon credit.

Here's what I picked up;

Marmot Mica Rain Jacket

Sea-to-Summit Premium Silk Travel Liner with Pillow Insert

Injinji 2012 Performance Original Weight Mini Crew Toe Socks

Acadian Men's Merino Lightweight Boxer Brief

ALPS Mountaineering MicroFiber Camp Pillow

High Sierra 1.5 Liter Reservoir

Isolation Men's Merino Midweight 1/4 Zip

Outdoor Products 3-Pack Ultimate Dry Sack

Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag

High Sierra Classic Series 59401 Sentinel 65 Internal Frame Pack

Kershaw Chill Pocket Knife

ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1 Tent: 1-Person 3-Season

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker Mattress

Merrell Road Glove 2 (for running and easy trails where boots aren't needed)

Can't wait to test it all out this weekend!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you're actually going to be wearing it as a mid layer, have you considered merino wool? It's hard to beat, and I picked up a Minus 33 mid layer in merino for like $53 on Amazon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any recommendations for a solar charger that will fit on a medium sized pack or the back of my touring bike? Would prefer it be able to charge an ipad and iphone, but at least the iphone. Also looking for a good down jacket with a hood for under $150, preferably slim fitting and not bulky.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've done both and vastly prefer a tent for anything longer than one or two nights, but that's because I sleep better flat than the diagonal hammock position. The hammock definitely wins in weight/ease/quickness though, so if you can sleep comfortably in one then it should work well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do you guys bring a survival style knife for general hiking/camping? I usually just bring my Kershaw pocket knife for bike camping, but I have a Ka-bar I am thinking about including in my hiking pack. Is that overkill?

Also, since we're talking bikepacking, here's my steed

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 16, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

e2: If you're on a bike, that makes sense to have a thing that can be used to help fix a bike.

Oh yeah, I have a full mini toolkit for any bike related needs. I meant on foot, with a 4.5 inch fixed blade knife. I guess it is unnecessary, I just want to learn more bushcraft style skills.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

I actually discovered a great way to stay warm in a hammock, Unzip the bottom of your sleeping back and thread your hammock through it. The extra bit of space underneath lets the sleeping bag do its job better than if it was just wrapped around you. I actually sleep in a hammock on the regular, and I'm never cold this way.

That's a pretty great idea, I'm gonna see if my bag and hammock can do this tomorrow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

That just gave me the About To Go On A Trip rush. ESPECIALLY because that's my (soon to be) bike. How long on the road will that setup take you? Were you camping? Did you have a partner to share the load?

That setup can easily support me indefinitely, assuming I stop at stores to restock on food. I put camping gear in the back two bags, food in the front right, clothes in the front left, and snacks/camera/phone/nook/personal items in the handlebar bag. I did light tours with just the rear bags before, but all together I now have about 110 liters of space in the bags (plus whatever I want to strap to the rear rack), which is bigger than pretty much any hiking pack. Even including bike specific gear you have enough space to carry any and everything you would need. I bring my tent and hammock on bike trips now, the tent for sleeping and the hammock for relaxing.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 16, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is a 25 lb pack considered light or heavy? I'm planning a lot more hiking trips this year along with bike touring and man, all of this gear is a lot harder to carry on my feet compared to wheels.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So here's my updated/complete kit (minus food and water). Anything I'm missing? Also, does my pack look like it fits correctly? Total weight comes to 23lbs, but that's including the completely unnecessary Ka-bar knife, Nook, pillow, and 3lb DSLR camera/lens. I could easily get it down to about 18 lbs if I didn't take those. I can also take the hammock instead of the tent and save about 6-7 more lbs if I want to go lighter in warmer weather.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 21, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alnilam posted:

Is one of those things a sleeping pad?

Is that ziplock bag a custom-built first aid kit? If so, good. Do you at least somewhat know how to use everything in it?

Looks pretty good to me. If it were my pack, I'd add various lengths of rope (I usually bring something like ~6, ~10, and ~35 feet of accessory cord), and subtract both knives and just use a multi-tool that has its own knife. But you already said you know it's unnecessary, so whatev.

I'd also subtract the existential weight of Poe. I don't know how you project such a blinding white aura with such dark, gothic tales burdening your pack.

Here's an album link with descriptions; http://imgur.com/a/ZXTer

There is a sleeping pad. The ziploc bag is a first aid kit, and I do know how to use what's in it. Also, I do have 25" of paracord. I like Poe :v:

evil_bunnY posted:

Ditch at least the folding knife, take a second bic. Invert your scabbard.

Where are you layers, what kind of weahther is forecast?

This is minus clothes/food/water. For most of my trips, I will be wearing everything except clean underwear and socks, which is the same I do on bike camping trips. I'm in the Southeast, most of my trips will be southern Appalachian trail and similar terrain. Good call on the sheath, definitely gotta flip it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is the second time I've heard that, I may give it a try. I do try to always be mindful of nature and any chemicals I have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dogs are the best trail buds

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Life straws are supposed to be able to handle anything that's water based. The trick to using it easily though is to fill an extra bottle and put the straw in that instead of leaning over and putting the straw into the source. I still carry tabs because in like redundancy, but the straw works pretty well and I would feel safe with it in sketchy situations.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Those are the best pants. I've worn them climbing, hiking, yoga, running, around the city, and basically everything else you can do.

How would you say the fit on them is? Going by there fit guide I'll be a M-32, but the waist for M says 32-33 which might be a little large, so I could order a S and hope it's snug but stretchy enough to be right. Do you find their fit true to size?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I wear a 32 waist, and wear a small. They stretch a bit with use after awhile as well.

Thanks, went with the small as well. Can't wait to have some good hiking pants.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

I would suggest melatonin before heading to bed. Doesn't knock you out per se, but once your asleep you stay that way until morning. Less of a drug hangover affect too.

Be careful with that though, I tried it on my last camping trip because I'd been having trouble sleeping outdoors and I had some pretty intense nightmares and woke up screaming. It really freaked me out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anyone have some advice for taking a dog backpacking? I can take care of myself and my girlfriend just fine but I've never taken a dog out before.

Take extra food, they need to eat a bit more if they're hiking a lot. Also, if it's cold please bring something for them to sleep on, their fur won't do much good if they're sleeping on a cold tent floor or right on the ground. My small dog loves sleeping in my bag, and my medium dog sleeps between my legs on top of the bag, but most people probably wouldn't be comfortable like that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I recently picked up a Kelty Redwing 44 and redesigned my loadout. Pretty happy with the pack, it feels great fully loaded and I can easily live out of it for 3-4 days without a food haul. I also got my base pack weight down to 15 lbs on the dot before food/water (but counting bladder and water bottles) which I'm thrilled with.

That said, if anyone is interested I'm gonna sell my High Sierra 65L pack, as I never used the full capacity and don't imagine I ever will. It was used very lightly this winter and is in like new condition. This is the pack, I'll probably sell it for $75 on SAMart if anyone is interested

http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Sentinel-Internal-Silver/dp/B00HPLQ2MC/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 21, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I came across a Copperhead this week on a trail. Almost stepped right on him, the couple I crossed paths with must have walked right over him because he was in a defensive curl and ready to strike.

Also, about 30,000 mosquitoes last night. This is going to be a rough summer in the Southeast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, my priority for trail food is caloric density. Things like nut butters (almond butter is my favorite), trail mix, meal bars, dried fruit, hard cuts of deli meat like salami and pepperoni, olive oil, etc. you can easily get 3,000-5,000 calories a day with only carrying 1-1.5 lbs of food.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So here is my updated gear list, a sub 15lbs mostly budget friendly setup. I could get the weight down a good 5 lbs more if I upgrade my shelter/sleeping bag combo, but I'm pretty happy and comfortable with this. Anyone see anything I could change?

http://lighterpack.com/r/chu3cw

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 3, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Probably week long trips at most with that pack. I couldn't fit more than 5-6 lbs of food right now. Southern Appalachian mostly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for the look over, some good ideas. A lot of the issues you raise are my fualt for not formatting my list better, but I'll answer your concerns best as I can.

-Altoids tin is my first aid kit, and has duct tape wrapped around it. The tin is inside the drysack and the toiletries are in a ziploc baggie with it. I should list it better.
-I have some lint/vasoline in there with the magnesium starter, works great.
-Cookset is 2 piece: stove and pot. For shorter trips I don't take it and just eat trail mix and bars.
-The multitool is really basic, one of those credit card things. I really only use it for the can opener, and it weighs as little as military style can openers.
-Bug spray definitely needs to be downsized.
-Nook isn't a tablet, it's an ereader like a kindle. It helps me go to sleep much faster more than I actually use it for entertainment, haha.
-Battery pack and phone cable are for recharging phone. I take a lot of pics and like to have an emergency battery just in case.
-Might try out gatorade bottles, that would save a lot of weight.
-I definitely plan ahead for weather more specifically, but for most local trips this is all I take besides what I wear.
-Completely forgot sleeping pad, it's rolled up in tent, forgot that when I weighed it. It's a Neoair Trekker.
-Ground sheet is to protect tent more than keep dry, but I'll redo my whole sleep system for a tarp and bug net eventually.
-Trash bag is in pack, haven't been able to find a compactor bag yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I almost always carry my 5d ii and 24-105L, but I don't even bring a case for it because if I don't have it out I'm going to miss all the good shots. That said, I am waiting for a great deal on a mirrorless to replace my dslrs for travel use.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

n8r posted:

22 Days on the Grand Canyon - two devices I want to keep functional.

Iphone 5 - recommend a waterproof case that I can take decent pics through - plan on running in airplane mode for photos - on hopefully around 8hr a day
Little cheap mp3 player - I can't sleep without dumb music/podcasts in my ears - very low power requirement as it has a sleep mode.

I'm thinking of recharging these devices with a AA/AAA based charger. Will I need a shitload of them to keep these things alive? Don't want to fuss with a solar charger - too fragile/expensive. Recommend something that would work.

I know you said you didn't want to go with solar, but Goalzero's kits are pretty amazing and would suit you perfectly, a lot better than carrying a poo poo load of batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-19006-Adventure-Batteries/dp/B004OHIYLW

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If I have a Sawyer mini is there any need to use tablets too? I remember someone recommending tablets if you're using a Lifestraw, so I wasn't sure if this was different.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just NA, so that's good to know. I just moved to FL and the water is definitely more sketchy here than the Appalachians, so I didn't know if I should do anything more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any recommendations for a light but effective hammock bug net? I have an ENO hammock and tarp I got cheap from a friend, but no way in hell I'm sleeping in it in Florida without full mosquito protection.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hammocks sleep a lot colder because the air below you cools you constantly (plus more airflow all around). That's why underquilts are so effective.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hennesy and other brands with a built in bug net over the hammock is garbage. Anywhere with bugs bad enough to need a net at all will leave you getting bit from below through the fabric. Bug net has to cover the full hammock.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I could never get comfortable with my pad in my hammock, but maybe the widths are the issue there. I only have a ENO single, so my Neo-Air Trekker might be getting too bunched up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's a cool job. Tell us more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just get a sheet of Tyvek for like $3. Way lighter than the official footprints and dirt cheap. Super effective too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kaal posted:

If you put two people into a two person tent then they better be loving

:v:

Anyone have any suggestions for a 1 person ultralight tent with short poles? I'm doing a big bikepacking trip/race and a lot of it will be through swampy marshlands in Florida and my hammock setup might not do so well there. The trick is the poles have to fit in my frame bag (19 inches).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fly Creek UL1 looks perfect. Found a good price on one too. Sweet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fires don't show any sign of slowing, I'd go ahead and plan an alternate destination.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

I'm self-employed. I can take off as much time as I want.

I just don't get paid when I don't work :cry:

High five, self employed is the best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The movie isn't going to be a massive Hollywood blockbuster that causes a huge surge in AT hikers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Absolutely, but I can't lose too much or all my sweet hiking pants will not fit any more.

Yea, I figured as much. A gym will help with general cardio though and I need to get my leg muscles improved, I am going to buy a pedal-powered kayak next spring and want to be able to use the hell out of it right away.

Do 100 squats and 150 calf raises at whatever weight you can handle twice a week. Those two exercises will improve the muscle groups hiking uphill requires and doing 100 squats in 3-4 sweats is a hell of a cardio workout as well. I used this same method to get stronger at climbing hills on the bike and it worked wonders for running up them as well. Be sure to stretch afterwards though, or you'll get cramps from hell in the middle of the night and scream so loud you scare your dogs into peeing on your bed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hell yeah, star photos! Been doing them on my trips lately as well. I've actually been planning my camping around new moon phases and finding good spots with little light pollution just for it. Here's some from the gulf coast of Florida and the East coast near Savannah.