Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A quickly will keep you nice and toasty. They are miracles of thermodynamics with regards to hammock camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

A 40L is a fairly small pack. If that's the right size for what you need, then awesome, but it's worth noting.

40L packs are plenty for ultralight setups. My gear isn't even especially ultralight and I can fit everything in a 32L pack comfortably. My setup is 14lbs before food/water.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

So are you saying that 40L is not a fairly small pack?

It's a large pack for people packing ultralight gear like cuben fiber shelters. It's a small pack for traditional gear. It's a good medium sized overnight pack for most people though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Braincloud posted:

What does your 14lb setup include? I'm always curious what ultra-lighters pack and what they leave at home to keep the weight down.

Also, a 40L pack is fine for most multi-day trips. I have an Osprey Aether 65 that I never come close to filling (even on my PCT trip). However, I hate having stuff tacked to the outside of my pack so the extra room is nice and I can fit everything inside.
http://lighterpack.com/r/chu3cw

Here's my list, 13.27 including a 2.5lb camera/lens combo, smart phone, etc. My pack/tent/bag/pad totals 6.5lbs, the rest makes it up to about 10. The only clothing I list there is outerwear, and I usually don't pack much else than that, maybe an extra tank top or something. I can easily hit 10lbs base weight if I drop a few luxury items. I'm a big dude, but I found that if I'm carrying much more than 15 lbs on my back I really hurt after about 6 hours, and I like to put in long 8-12 hour days when I'm hiking so going light is more comfortable and allows me to hike the style I like a lot easier.

I really love every piece of my gear, and I've come to this setup after much trial and error of hiking and bike camping what I really need and don't need. I also have a hammock setup that weighs a bit more but can be better depending on where I'm camping and the season. I'm in the Southeast so rainy season is much better off the ground at night, even with a great tent like the Flycreek.

Saint Fu posted:

I've posted this before but here's my gear list.

14 lbs with big bear can and 2.5 lbs of camera gear. It's a good weight for me.
Your link is just to the home page of Lighterpack, you didn't include the full URL for your list.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 28, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bunnielab posted:

You guys with your 2.5 pound cameras make me feel better about my fishing crap.

I'm trying to figure out a way to add a flyfishing kit to my setup too :v:

Also, can't take these pics without the camera

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ronaldreagan posted:

Forgive me if I missed something but how do you get by with just a lifestraw for water filtration? Are you boiling water with the esbit stove, or not cooking/rehydrating, or what? And you don't carry any water with you?

I haven't updated the list to change it to a Sawyer Mini but that's what I use now. And yes I carry water (about 2l at a time), that's just my gear list pre-water/food.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Every running short I tried gave me chaffing issues even with body glide, then I bought a pair of 2XU shorts for my first triathlon and they are my holy grail for running. So nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fantastic looking innovation for sleeping pads. drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv9Gghy6Lj4

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is purely incredible!! Astrophotography blows my mind and it's something I really want to learn. Do you bring a small gorilla pod or tripod to snap these pictures?

Thanks! Tripod is almost necessary, but I have used a water bottle under the lens with the camera on the ground before when I left the tripod plate at home before. As long as the camera won't move and you can get the angle right it's passable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I spent the past week in Zion and doing an ultramarathon on the surrounding mesas. Angels Landing and The Narrows both lived up to their hype and then some. It was incredible. Huge pic dump:

Race photos from my phone

Zion 100 Race Report

First 2.5 miles were up a paved road towards the first mesa top, which was a reverse of the normal course because of the rainy weather.

Sun was coming up in time to see this view at the end of the paved section

At around mile 3 things got nasty. We turned onto a dirt road that was already a mess, with thick mud making every step a slippery hazard and sucking your shoes into the earth. It felt more like skating than walking because no matter how you stepped you would slide. This would be our nightmare for the next 7 hours.

People were falling constantly, especially on the ups and downs. I don't know if being behind all the 100k runners made the trails worse or better, but they all seemed to be beat up by it later on as well.

At the top of this mesa we got a little relief from the mud, with the slickrock making up portions of the trail.

Unfortunately, it was a short loop then back into the mud. I stepped right out of my shoes a few times, despite tightening the laces more and more. Getting mud caked on your socks is a bad time. My shoes weighed at least 5 lbs each too, which was killer on my legs.

The sun peaking through and giving a nice view at the top of Flying Monkey. That's the valley we started in below.

Mile 15 check in. Spirits high. Feet soaked. First sock change. I honestly felt like I had already ran 30 miles, the mud really killed my legs and forced me to use muscles that don't typically get used.

Starting the descent

One of the best sections of trail of the day aside from the mud. You can't see in the pictures, but it was still raining.

The rope section, which was sketchy as hell soaking wet.

Seriously beautiful trail

A look at the next target

Stream crossing, usually you can stay dry but the rain made it a good 8 inches deep. Felt great to wash the mud off my shoes finally.

Started the climb onto the next mesa. This was a 3.5 mile fire road that got pretty steep in sections, and it was still raining steady, but this was a little more runnable aside from a few sections that got slick.

It finally stopped raining when I reached the summit of the second mesa. The wind was still really cold though, and I actually kept my jacket on the entire day.

One of my favorite views, the backside of Zion park.

This was the first of many loops on all slickrock. It was a great change from mud and gravel, but also brutal on the body since it was constantly up and down and the consistency of pavement. Luckily even when wet shoes stick to it like tack, so we were able to pick up the pace and make great time around this loop.

My poor waterlogged feet. Can't imagine how bad they would have been if I didn't have wool socks. Very happy with how well the Darn Tough socks performed and how my feet held up even in the grueling conditions. My Saucony Nomads were great too.

Back down the fire road

33 mile check in. Was pretty beat up before this aid station but another sock change and shoe dump did wonders. Ate a ton of food again and got moving pretty strong now that the rain stopped and it was warming up.

Back across the valley towards the next beast

Snow capped peaks in the distance

The only wildlife sighting of the event

Now onto Gooseberry Mesa, a ~9 mile climb culminating in a vertical mile of very technical 33% grade. Once on top, it was a 30 mile loop then back down to the desert. This was the only time of the day that actually got warm, I unzipped my jacket and sweat a little. Almost ran out of water during this section, but the aid station was at the top so I knew I would be ok.

That's the road we started on before the climb

Nice view of the full course, with the first two mesas in the distance and the desert below

Some of my favorite views and pics of the day

Another runner at the end of the mesa enjoying the view

Zion photos from my camera

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's amazing! I really want to learn night time photography, but I'm never actually out that way with a dslr and tripod, just my phone.

That ultramarathon sounds nuts... It's incredible what people can do. Meanwhile people around me circle in their car for ages trying to find a spot 3 spaces closer in a parking lot.

You’d be surprised how easy Milky Way shots are when you’re somewhere really dark. 90% is that planning and patience with weather. My go to settings those were shot at: 20mm, f/1.8, 13 seconds exposure, ISO 3200. Focus manually and use the timer and bam, perfectly exposed galactic core.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Weens are the best trail dogs and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Moleskin and a needle does wonders for blisters. I can’t help with your specific condition but that’s by far the best way to manage them once they form.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You guys have me paranoid now. Is there any prevention for lyme other than "don't get bit/unlucky"?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kolob roads are closed for 7 months. No vehicles or hiking will be permitted inside the closure as of May 1st, so keep that in mind when planning. Some parts are still accessible

"Visitors will be able to access the La Verkin Creek Trail and hike to the Kolob Arch via the Hop Valley Trail, which can be accessed from the Kolob Terrace Road off state Route 9 in Virgin. Overnight trips require a permit."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fall Dog posted:

This is the response I got from the Zion National Park:

Hi,

Unfortunately there are no public storage areas in the park. If you are not renting a car, we suggest you pack lightly so that everything fits in your backpack.

-----------

So the issue I have with this is the feeling of being penalised for wanting to utilise public transport to visit Zion. The attitude seems to be "well just take a car" but why hire a car just to leave it in the parking lot for a few days? Seems like a pretty stupid idea considering people are always complaining about the traffic congestion. Am I weird for wanting to do two different things on a single vacation that require two different sets of equipment/clothing? Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g61001-d2716775-Reviews-Zion_Outfitter-Springdale_Utah.html

This place has lockers people use when renting stuff for the narrows. I'm sure you could call them and ask about renting storage with or without Narrows gear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fall Dog posted:

Pretty sure I know how to pack light. My point was that it just seems to be an attitude of hiking is the sole purpose of a vacation or it's not. Apparently you're not entitled to a vacation with a bit of hiking halfway through because that's a crazy idea.

Sure you are, but the NPS is not obligated to oblige your every whim and need either. They area already over-worked, under-funded, and Zion in particular is small facility wise for it's crowd level.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would never bank on being able to show up and get any permits at NPs during busy seasons.

Anyone have any recommendations for Everglades and Biscayne?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I fuckin' love Canyonlands. Here's another view from that spot just to the left with the La Sals in the distance

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 23, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

I would put this on my wall. I would love to experience this in person.

I'm having a 48" print made of it for my office next week :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mini is fine but the squeeze is superior in every way for a few bucks more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have any tips for Mammoth Cave? Have potentially 2 days to spend there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Holy poo poo Mammoth Cave

lot's more photos to come!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh cool! Was that on top of frozen Niagra on the historic tour?

Which tours did you all do? We were only able to hit the Grand Avenue and Historic tours while we were there, plus a few surface hikes to the River Styx spring and sand cave collapse.

Yep top of Niagra in that shot. I did the same two, and spent the rest of the day doing some trail running top side. I got into KY a day later than I had planned so all my plans got shifted but I'll be going back soon to do the full day advanced tour. It was so great. Here's some from the Avenue. I ended up pretty sick from the cold damp air though after having a long week of lots of exercise and being exhausted from that, so take a jacket (I had pants and a hoodie on the entire time) and beware if you have respiratory problems. How did you get so close to the Styx spring? The trail I went down ended at an boardwalk overlook but the signs everywhere said not to leave that trail because of an ongoing restoration project and going off trail in NPs is a big no no.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As someone that has done 66 miles and 12k ft elevation in a day I'd say make sure you are packing very light, have all manner of foot care supplies, more calories and water than you think you need, and a good bail out plan. It's certainly doable and will be a great day if you're prepared.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Alright, we have a week in Utah (and a day or two in the Grand Canyon) next month and I'm trying to finalize the plan. Probably spending 1 afternoon/night/morning at each park and then driving to the next so we get a good afternoon hike, sunset, dinner, star gazing, and a sunrise hike at each. Going to do a mix of camping on BLM land, park campgrounds, and maybe an Airbnb or two. Any hikes/spots or recommendations welcome:

Flying in to Vegas

Grand Canyon

Zion

Bryce

Capitol Reef

Canyonlands

Arches

Red Rocks for an afternoon on the way back to Vegas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Splinter posted:

Bryce and Capitol Reef have free, easy dispersed camping right outside the park borders (before you even hit the surrounding town). The park visitors centers are usually happy to tell you about the dispersed camping in the area.

In Zion, if you only do one thing you probably want to do the Narrows, but if you want to go deep up the canyon that can end up taking up most of your day. You could squeeze something shorter like Emerald Pools in afterwards. Watchman is a nice short hike to do that starts at the visitors center (no need to hop on a bus). Great option to do before setting up camp if you arrive late in the day. Angels Landing is the popular hike if you want to climb up the side of the canyon, but that was closed due to rockslide damage (as was half of Emerald Pools) when we were there a few weeks ago.

If you're arriving in the mid-late afternoon, I'd recommend doing Watchman, camp, get up and do The Narrows and another shorter hike if you have the energy, camp again, then get up early and drive to Bryce. You can see most of Bryce that day, camp, then head through Grand Staircase toward Capitol Reef.

In an afternoon in Bryce you could easily start at Sunrise point and do Queens Garden trail, then from the bottom cut over to Navajo Loop and take that back up to Sunset Point. If you get there early enough and/or hike fast and have a lot of energy, you could also do Peekaboo loop. Peekaboo + Navajo/Queens Garden is pretty much everything in the amphitheater. The only thing you'd really be missing is Fairyland (which we didn't do). Whatever you do, make sure you hit the Wall Street section of Navajo loop.

Highway 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef is an epic drive, especially once you get a bit past Escalante. Make sure you do this drive while it's light out. There's also some cool hikes you can do in Grand Staircase National Monument during this segment. We did the Zebra Slot hike. The slot itself was flooded, so we had to swim in to get to the narrow/beautiful section. Would've been cooler if it wasn't flooded, but it was still worthwhile. Tunnel Slot is also accessible from that trail. The canyon you hike through to get out to Zebra Slot is also pretty cool in its own right. There are a lot of great Grand Staircase hikes you can reach from Hole in the Rock Rd (BLM 200, just past Escalante) depending on how much time you have. E.g., Coyote Gulch, Peek-a-boo. Do some Googling. I'll definitely be back to spend some more time there.

It's worth considering camping somewhere along 12 rather than at Capitol Reef so you have more time to do something in Grand Staircase. Then from there, drive to Moab and only stop for a few hours in Capitol Reef on your way. We didn't spend too much time in Capitol Reef and didn't feel like we missed too much. We just drove down the Scenic Drive, then stopped at the Petroglyphs and Hickman Bridge on the way through the park on 24 east. Hickman Bridge is definitely worth the short hike. It's actually bigger than a lot of the arches you'll see in Arches.

Arches can mostly be seen from car pull outs and really short walks to viewpoints. The main spot to actually hike is Devil's Garden, which I recommend.

This is incredibly helpful since I've only done Arches/CL/Zion. Narrows will probably depend on temp and rain forecast, but it's on the list if possible, along with Angels Landing since my wife hasn't done it yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

single-mode fiber posted:

Depending on where the damage is, if you're feeling saucy, you could take the West Rim Trail from the Lava Point terminus and get to it from there. But, they say Observation Point is still open, and that's honestly a better view I think, just doesn't carry the same I-did-it cachet

I did both twice this spring and the Ob Point is a great view but the hike for AL is great and way more fun. Going to hit all of them if they're open really.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm fine with carrying a camera. I pack a full frame dslr and 2 primes (Nikon d750 20mm 1.8 + 85mm 1.8) into a small case logic camera pouch with 2 extra batteries and a lens wipe. The tripod is bulkier and heavier than the whole camera setup and I haven't found anything yet to replace it. Even the carbon fiber stuff isn't smaller or lighter once you figure in the heads. I'm close to just switching to one of those 6 inch table style tripods and just going for ground level shots most of the time for my star stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I never shared a lot of the photos from my last trips to Utah, stoked to go back for my first fall visit. I have hundreds of these from Canyonlands, Arches, and Zion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Man those are amazing. What are the streaks in the sky in this one, planes? Satellites?

Meteorites actually!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

n8r posted:

If I did this trip, I'd think it felt like I did nothing but driving and unpacking my poo poo. I'd do half of those places - maybe less, and only do 1 - 2 days driving. That's just me.

It's only about 2 hours drive from place to place each day aside from the last two stops on the way back to Vegas, which we're already driving. It's 22 hours total over 8 days, but 8 of that is the last drive back to Vegas (with a stop at the Grand Canyon). And as someone mentioned, the driving in Utah is part of the experience anyways, some really incredible landscapes.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 4, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Darn Tough. A single pair got me through a rainy and muddy ultramarathon with minimal blistering. They’re incredible. Lifetime warranty as well.

As for conditioning your feet, time on your feet on rough terrain and up and downhill is the best thing. Barefoot will toughen up your skin but not in the way that wearing shoes for extended hiking needs really, as a lot of the blisters come from heat and moisture, something the wool socks handle well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just got back from Utah. What a week. I have about 1500 photos to work through and I'll write up a big post about what we did but :drat:

Zion

Bryce Canyon

Delicate Arch

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 17, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I use this stove with a Toaks Ti pot (750) and I'm much happier with this setup than with a Jetboil that costs and weighs twice as much

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNLSNFR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

But that’s where the fuel cans go

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Animal sightings are one of the best parts of hiking. And yeah, you’re not gonna sneak up on a sleeping anything, their senses are hyper tuned for survival.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

Our plan is to do it in January,

a lot of stuff will be closed in the Winter, including roads.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rime posted:

As a Canadian, I still can't wrap my head around this concept and it befuddles me every time I go to the USA.

As an American, let me just say, "we can't fuckin' drive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm going for a r2r2r run in the Spring and trying to plan my trip around the weather. Anyone with spring experience know what the weather is like late march?