Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Buff and earplugs sleeper here too. I'll pull the buff over my mouth/nose if it's cold and eyes if it's bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LiterallyATomato posted:

Does anyone have any experience hiking with camera equipment (like a DSLR and some lenses, not just a cell phone.) I want to go in a couple day hikes on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state. Wondering what's the best way to pack. I am a novice hiker.

Get a padded divider insert and add it to your pack. I have one from Incase I love. A comfortable cross body strap is my favorite way to actually carry the camera out of pack, but some people like the clips that attach to your backpack straps and lock via a tripod mount mechanism. I don't like those because they sway a lot with a camera of any real weight (which is any DSLR really).

Though my standard way is to just take the camera and a single lens and wrap it in a Merino layer in my pack.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The main thing for fit is torso size, so as long as you get an appropriate length you should be good to go. If you try on various packs, be sure to actually put some gear and weight in each of them while you do it, as that will change the fit and feel to actual carry conditions you’ll be experiencing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I shoot 90% of everything on my 35mm 1.8, including weddings, landscapes, and milky way shots. It's not quite as small and light as the Rf 16 2.8 and 50 1.8, but it's the sweet spot between the too focal length wise.

That said, I do often shoot on the 70-200 2.8 for landscapes, the compression really makes some compositions work.

EDIT: imgur compression looking way worse these days, but you get the idea

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For my Grand Canyon hike a few weeks back I just took a fujifilm disposable film camera. Sent that off to indie film lab today, eager to see how those turn out. I burned through most of the shots on the first day but South Kaibab was definitely deserving of that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Muir posted:

I'm spoiled for choice in California but I really need to get out to the Southwest.

You really do, it's a special place. Here's a few of my favs from Utah

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

COPE 27 posted:

walmart's stuff is surprisingly good

Seems to be all over the place. My local one has Sawyer filters and legit camping hammocks and such, but others just have cheap one use junk.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know what it offers that good running shorts don't. Those already feel like you're not wearing anything, even with liners.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Muir posted:

I love my Prana Strech Zion for everything. Seconding the underwear angle as well. Ex Officio Give-N-Go is my preference by far, and I've tried a lot of synthetic hiking underwear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do those Lululemon pants compare to the Prana ones? Is one more "outdoorsy" than the other?

Prana are 100% more built for longevity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Verman posted:

Oh definitely different, there's really no comparison. The Zions are hiking/outdoor pants. The Lululemon are nice looking daily drivers, not outdoorsy at all, at least the model I got. I wouldn't really wear one to do the other unless I had to. Both are great, comfortable pants for traveling though.

Prana does make daily driver pants that are less "outdoorsy" (Brions?) but I don't have any of those. The only thing with prana pants is they have a big, rigid fly. It creates a Larry David tent fold above your crotch in certain instances .. for better or worse.

brions and pranas are the same material AFAIK, at least they feel identical.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Varies a ton based on fatigue and terrain though.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How far can you actually go in 5 minutes? Or I am naively assuming everyone with an InReach is a hiker?

We use them for bikepacking races where people can cover a mile or more in 5 minutes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Visiting both Teton and Yellowstone I was wondering how Teton would be distinct enough to warrant two national parks side by side, and yeah the topography is just incredible. The dominant ridgeline plus the canyon/lake formations is really interesting.

That's my favorite thing about the parks route in Utah (and dipping into AZ for the Grand). Every park feels like a different planet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do any of you have recommendations for a camera bag? I bought a cheap one off amazon, and I realized after a few hikes that it is way too cramped for everything I carry.

Day hikes or overnighters+? For day hikes, the Flipside trek line from Lowepro is solid and holds various gear really well (camera and not). For real backpacking trips, the best move is to get a dedicated camera insert/cube and pack it in a normal backpacking bag (along with a dry bag if you don't have a full bag liner). On the high end, Shimoda make nice stuff if you want to drop many hundreds.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP37...c7-93deae8f9840

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Camera+cube&crid=37GQHTHFZSVGX&sprefix=camera+cub%2Caps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Muir posted:

I like most anything Peak Design makes, including their Everyday Backpack.

Definitely not for hiking. They're too form over function IMO. The dividers don't hold gear securely, the bags are too rigid and not very comfortable for any real distance, and some of the materials can fail at critical points (like where straps attach to the bag). I've had to send 2 in that I use for weddings and I don't even carry them most of the day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oracle posted:

Anybody got any recs for a backpacking quilt? I have decided I loving hate sleeping bags, especially mummy bags, they're like sleeping in a drat straightjacket.

Enlightened Equipment. I have a synthetic revelation as a compliment to a down bag and I generally prefer it in every way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

REI has osprey hydration packs on sale currently. Osprey stuff is great so just pick out whichever size you need. I'd go with the 7l pack for water and essentials for day hikes

https://www.rei.com/product/221603/osprey-katari-7-hydration-pack-mens

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A real light (not cellphone) is literally one of the most important things you should have on any hike of any length/duration. The only thing more important is water.

Or maybe 12oz of A5 wagyu

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ehud posted:

good morning from a mountain in South Carolina

You found the one good spot in the state

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If I lived somewhere with real trails I'd build up my fat bike as a trail work bike. Mainly because it would be cool to rack mount a chainsaw, but also because it would be helpful and worth doing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well in that case, must be nice to have an airplane

Very jealous

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

liz posted:

Random question about altitude… I’m going on a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon soon and considering it’s at 7K feet and I’m at sea level… Would it be better to stay a medium level (say 4-5k feet) then stay at 7K south rim? Or just stay at 7k for the two nights? I just want to make sure I don’t have any altitude issues down there.

What route are you doing? If you don't already have permits your question will be determined by walk up availability anyways which is very hit or miss. If you do, well you don't have a choice anyways. Don't blow your quads going down!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sorry for your loss. We just lost our 18 year old girl as well. She was the best hiking partner you could ever want. The photos definitely help keep the good memories alive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Darn Tough have some for winter sports. That would be my rec. They're pricey, but they're insanely comfortable and warm, and if you somehow manage to wear them out, they'll replace them for free. It took me about 6 years to wear out a pair of their lightest weight running socks, so I imagine the thicker weight winter ones would last near forever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I was gifted 2 pairs of Darn Tough at Christmas and immediately lost them while traveling back home. I'm still pissed about that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Can someone recommend a Camelbak or similar? Until now, I’ve been using a drawstring gym bag with 1L water bottles for hiking and festivals, but the inside pocket tore off during my last trip and the shoulder “straps” aren’t great when I’m carrying more stuff.

My main concern is how small it can pack down since I try to avoid checking bags when I travel. The nylon drawstring bag takes up basically no space in my carry-on and every Camelbak I’ve seen is substantially bulkier.

I just got this Nathan vest for $20 (clearance) at Walmart of all places to replace my old Nathan. It packs down flat and holds a deceptive amount. It's smaller than the vest I used for my ultra but it holds more thanks to the strap sleeves and pockets.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nathan-6-Liter-Hydration-Pack-w-Bladder-Black-Marigold-OSFA/2565570800?from=/search

Aside from that specific one, any Nathan vest would be good. My old worn out one was great too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They have never been on a trail.

I found his insta and he is STRUGGLING

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5gf2LpOGaY/

I like the comments suggesting he add a microwave for hot food :lol:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 11, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

GC (1 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (2 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (3 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (4 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (5 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (6 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (7 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (8 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (9 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

grandcanyon (1 of 1)-2 by david childers, on Flickr

GC (11 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

3rd Grand Canyon trip, this time I took my full camera/lens setup that weighed more than my pack including water. This was just a day hike rim to river and back, but Bright Angel is closed for water pipe construction so it was down and up South Kaibab. I made great time, starting at 7am and getting back to the sign at 2:30. I didn't waste much time at Phantom Ranch this time; got a lemonade and ate some snacks, cleaned my feet, and got back moving. I previously ran R2R2R in a day and then hiked it with a night's camp at Cottonwood in the corridor, so this was the easiest overall but going up SK without much rest was definitely a struggle and it all caught up to me the next day with cramps and pain. Worth it though, SK is my absolute favorite trail.

I saw some outrageously unprepared people well below the rim, including a woman in dress shoes and long jean skirt carrying only a small 16oz water bottle. I saw a man carrying the largest pack of the day at the Tip Off barely moving, with ~4.5 miles to go to the rim. Wonder how they fared.

Forgot to crosspost this here. I think I've gotten what I want out of the main corridor at this point, next trip will be on some into the less traveled trails in the area.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They have never been on a trail.

I found his insta and he is STRUGGLING

Oh my god, in one of the videos he's talking about his morning workout he's trying to do on the trail with rocks and trees :wtf:\

EDIT: and taking 2 hours in the morning to pack up and get moving.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks. Not this time, back in 17 I had a perfect view of it surrounded by cows and turkeys, that was a great experience. Shot a decent photo of it with the pretty short lens I had with me at the time:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

liz posted:

You must be in incredible shape to have done R2R2R in a day! SK is no joke but the trail is absolutely incredible. We took BA up and I’ll never forget the feeling of walking over the Colorado predawn. What other trails were you thinking of doing? R2R is on my list but I wanna take multiple days to just absorb everything.

Hermit and Tanner are my next to see, and would ideally create a few loop options for multiday backcountry stuff. R2R2R is a lot, but I was carrying almost nothing so it was easier than my second trip where I camped below the rim and carried a full pack, even with spreading the effort over multiple days.

The Fool posted:

have you talked about your setup/process anywhere? if no, will you?

Sure, what are you curious about?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As well as sharpening set to 40/1/25/30

Everything there was taken on the RF 24-70 2.8 on an R6. I did some panoramas for the really wide shots. Editing wise, it's all pretty simple stuff to dial in the contrast and some slight color tweaks. Hard lesson I've had to face lately is that high end glass really makes a big difference in non-optimal conditions. The color and contrast you get out of these lenses is really worth the weight and size difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gc (1 of 3) by david childers, on Flickr

gc (3 of 3) by david childers, on Flickr

gc (2 of 3) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (4 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

Looks like some of those flickr links broke and those showing weren't panos. These are all panos and some of my favorite views on the trail. I almost always do them with the camera vertical and aim for about a 6x17 or 2.4:1 coverage (or 4x5 with the tree shot)