Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I got 3 snow shovels and a snow saw for Christmas... Time to do some snow camping methinks. I had a collapsible black diamond snow shovel on my wish list so someone on one side of the family got me that then my dad who was an old school mountaineer in the cascades wrapped up and gave me two of his climbing snow shovels that he used to use. I'll probably use the black diamond for actual stuff and one of the old ones as a loaner for friends that join as well as to keep in the car for snowboard days.

I was hoping someone who has done some snow camping could recommend a good book or web resource for packing lists/preparedness as well as best practice type info. I've watched enough videos on building quinzhee huts that I think I'll have that figured out but the more prepared the better right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Speaking of winter camping... I'm planning a trip to go snow camping on mt. hood with a friend in March. We probably won't hike in far, maybe a few miles into some closed for the winter campgrounds with snowshoes. Neither of us has camped in a snow-shelter before though.

I'm hoping to find a weekend where there's fairly fresh snow but it's not too cold and not raining... say 25-32 degree weather which is fairly normal for that area this time of year.

I wanted to ask though, should my 20 degree North Face Cat's Meow sleeping bag do the trick if we're sleeping in a shelter? Does anyone have experience building quinzhee huts? That was our plan, and from what I'm reading they can stay fairly warm if you build them right. I just thought it'd be a fun first experience snow-camping.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PabloBOOM posted:

You only say that because you're still asleep when you roll over at 3am, while your hiking buddy shoves leaves in their ears. :stare:
Granted, that was only on one trip and it was too hot at night to sleep well so I'm most likely exaggerating how aggravating that crinkly thing really was.

I've never really understood how people that are light sleepers deal with sleeping outside on camping trips without some industrial strength earplugs or something. I always read complaints about air mattresses that are too noisy or whatever and for some reason I just can't wrap my head around how something like that would wake someone up when you're sleeping outside with wind/rain/river/animals all around you making various noises.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

I've done quinzhees probably a dozen times, including in my back yard in Chicago. Expect to spend all day working on it, because you really need to let the snow settle for several hours. And make it really, really big, because the last thing you want to have is very little clearance for getting in/out, because you'll get absolutely soaked doing so, especially in warmish temperatures like you're planning on being. I think as long as you have an insulated pad and thick clothes you'll be fine in a 20 degree bag, especially in a shelter, but you might want to try out a night in a backyard if you can beforehand to make sure.

wish I could, but we'd be making a rain quinzhee in my backyard. Portland's at about 50' above sea level, where we'd be camping is 3600+ ft. or closer to 5,000 ft if we wanted to go up even higher on the mountain. But yeah, winter around here is typically 40 degrees and rainy while it'll be between 20-30 degrees up on the mountain.

So it's really several hours to wait eh? I mean I guess what we could do is get up there around noon or so, pile up the snow, go hike around and eat lunch, come back and hollow it out right before sunset and then just go to sleep early or something. I was hoping to take some nice late night landscape photos.

This is where I'd like to head, inspiring photo of the lake/mountain that makes me want to get out:
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14214

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 6, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, it takes a few hours to settle. I'd build it to at least 5 feet tall for most of it just to make sure you have room, since it'll probably settle down at least a foot, and you need to leave a decent amount of snow for thickness.

I also forgot that you folks with elevation changes actually have temperature changes to go with them. Must be nice :I

I served my time in the midwest... went to school in Grand Rapids, I've had enough of lake-effect winters to last me a good long while :/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

If you guys in the US don't use Google Earth to help plan trips, you're missing out. They have every trail in every National Park well marked, with distances between waypoints and campgrounds, you name it.

And here: http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/geography click on the "Google Earth" tab you can download maps of all the BLM and Foresty Service areas, including Wildernesses. National Wilderness Areas are even more protected than national parks, and there's a lot of them!

e: and using Panoramio you can pull up snapshots people have uploaded, so you can actually see what the area looks like

e2: and places like summitpost have .kmz files with routes, also, and those can be loaded onto newer GPS units, too

please tell me there's a way to load google topos/routes onto my garmin 450, that'd be rad.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
FYI for anyone wanting to try for the Enchantment Lakes in WA this summer, permit lottery starts this week:
http://www.recreation.gov/wildernessAreaDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72280

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

i_heart_ponies posted:

I can only speak to the east side of the park, since that's where I've spent the past few weekends. Fall River Road and Trail Ridge Road are both closed until Spring, but the Beaver Meadows Entrance is accessible and all the fire closures that were hopping in December along around the Moraine Park and Bear Lake Road have been lifted. There is some construction on Bear Lake Road where the road is graded dirt / gravel for about 10-15 minutes before Glacier Gorge, but the only even moderately sketchy part of that road (the final switchbacks up to the Bear Lake trailhead) is still paved. The entire thing is passable to any car.

As far as trail conditions, it's been a lean year and the super deep snow is only up high in wind loaded areas and in the trees. Most of the commonly used winter trails are pretty well tracked out for the first 3 miles or so. I didn't even bother putting my snowshoes on last weekend until about 10k feet.

I'm headed up to RMNP again tomorrow for more snowshoeing so I'll have a better idea how this dump we got over the past two days has affected things. If you have any questions about particular areas in the park let me know and I can either check em out or talk to a ranger while I'm there. If you do end up making it over this way and want some company let me know; I just renewed my annual pass and am out there as much as I can be this time of year since once you get past the blue jean clad Nebraskans sucking air 3 miles in, you get pretty much free reign for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure how'd you get the topos on there (doesnt the 450 come pre-loaded with topos?), but getting the routes on is pretty easy to do without extra software. Export your route as a KML / KMZ file and use GPS Visualizer to convert the file to GPX for transfer to your device. There may be easier ways with your fancy modern GPS, but that's how I do it with my old eTrex Vista HCx w/ Micro-SD map cards.

the 450t comes pre-loaded, I bought the version w/out preloaded maps. I've been meaning to look into taking a class or something to maximize how I use my GPS. I haven't used it as much as I was hoping to date. Was really hoping to start logging all of my hikes so I can load them up to garmin connect or whatever as a sort of journal. At the moment it has this mapset loaded on it: http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

I have that map too. It's pretty good but I use one specific for my state (Montana) plus an extra trails overlay.

The 450t only comes with the 100k topo which has very little detail, but it's only like $20 more than the 450 on amazon and sometimes it is nice to have at least a generic map if you get outside of where your detailed maps are.

gpsfiledepot.com is the best. Screw paying garmin $100 for a map. On top of my 24k topo map that has all the hiking trails and shows public and private land I haven detailed land ownership, an extra trails file, and hunting districts. All for free.

Basecamp pisses me off so much though. I also need to learn more about making routes and my own maps.

are you or anyone familiar with a good iOS offline GPS mapper? A friend of mine was showing me Orux maps on Android and it pulls topos and satellite maps from Google from the looks of it. It'd be amazing if there was something similar for iPhone. I've seen a few offline gps mappers but not sure if any of them are as good and they cost ~$10 so I'd rather get some recommendations before I start purchasing them.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I don't suppose anyone here has experience with Snow Peak's tents? I've got some of their titanium cookware that I love as well as one of their stoves but don't know much about the rest of their equipment. I might be doing some event photography for them which would pay money + gear credit and I'm looking at their catalog to see if any of their tents would be something I'd like to pick up. The only reason I'm even remotely questioning it is that I can get 50% off of Mt. Hardwear tents pretty much whenever I want. Wondering if the credit would be better spent on car-camping gear like a table and chairs or something.

Here are their tents:
http://www.snowpeak.com/shelters/tents.html

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

I don't suppose anyone here has experience with Snow Peak's tents? I've got some of their titanium cookware that I love as well as one of their stoves but don't know much about the rest of their equipment. I might be doing some event photography for them which would pay money + gear credit and I'm looking at their catalog to see if any of their tents would be something I'd like to pick up. The only reason I'm even remotely questioning it is that I can get 50% off of Mt. Hardwear tents pretty much whenever I want. Wondering if the credit would be better spent on car-camping gear like a table and chairs or something.

Here are their tents:
http://www.snowpeak.com/shelters/tents.html

So I've got a $1000 gift card for Snow Peak for doing a photography job for them. Trying to figure out the best way to spend this, it shouldn't be too difficult considering they have tons of rad stuff and it's all pretty $$$ but I'm trying to make sure I don't waste it on stuff I'll never use.

I was happy to discover they carry Gransfors Bruks axes so I think I'll have to get a small hatchet that I've been ogling for a while now. I already have some Snow Peak Ti cookware that I've been using for backpacking for a few years as well as one of their stoves

Some of the stuff they make is stuff I'd never have considered taking on a backpacking trip but I really like the thought of it. Is something like a collapsible aluminum backpacking table a really dumb idea or something that may actually be handy?

I may just end up stocking up on some car camping gear like a table and some folding chairs even if I wouldn't use them as frequently as backpacking stuff. A titanium flask is a dumb waste right? right??

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

Yes, but I've been so close to getting one so many times now... It'll happen, I can feel the money melting out of my wallet.

You mentioned having some of their cookware. Get a mug if you haven't one already. The double walled just got the Backpacker editor's choice nod. I like the single wall though knowing I could put it over heat if I had to or wanted to without ruining it.

I've got this Ti set: http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/ti-mini-solo-combo-scs-004t.html

and one of these single walled cups: http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/cups-mugs/titanium-single-cup-2-mg-002.html

A double-walled mug would certainly be nice though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

enraged_camel posted:

Hey guys! I've been playing around with some ideas for a business. One of them is a website that sells niche backpacking items. In addition to dropshipping them to the customer, the website would also contain high quality guides and articles for properly setting up and using the equipment.

Since you are all backpackers, I figured I'd ask you: are there any specialty backpacking items that are difficult to find in regular stores or online? Obviously a lot of people prefer buying their goods in stores, but are there any products you wish were more readily available for online purchase and delivery to your doorstep within a reasonable amount of time (1-2 days)?

I'm trying to think of any backpacking or camping gear that would require a setup guide that doesn't already come with it. I mean most backpacking gear is painfully simple to use, only exceptions that I can think of are some water filters and tents but those typically come with good instruction manuals.

I also am having a difficult time thinking of any backpacking gear that I can't get fast shipping on through amazon or direct sale through the manufacturers site and I'm drawing a blank.

Not trying to shoot down your idea, I'm sure someone can think of something but honestly I can't think of any type of product that would meet your description right now. Do you have some items in mind already that you can give us as an example?

I can think of niche backpacking brands but not niche items... seems like your average packing list for any major backpacking trip has very standard/familiar equipment in it although everyone's preference differs on which brands they prefer and what their personal philosophy is for weight vs. cost etc.

I think an interesting idea for a site might be some well curated packing lists based on specific locales or trips, with the equipment well photographed and a business model built around affiliate marketing. IE if I'm new to backpacking and I want to learn everything there is to know about what to pack for the AT and how to shop for gear I could go to this site, see some example packing lists, click on each item and see some product reviews and tent setup guides on youtube, etc. If you made it stylish enough and the navigation was easy to figure out you might be able to cut out a market.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BleakLewis posted:

Looks like REI has calculated dividends! Haven't seen the usual %20 off coupon yet.

Has anyone had any experience using microspikes? Are they small enough to use that you can wear them along with snowshoes? How are they over rocks? I've been using yak traks but there not very durable and seem to clog up almost in powdery snow.

$37, WOOH!

not sure what to buy... sure I'll think of something at some point but I'm pretty well stocked at the moment.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
another vote for shock absorption being nice in trekking poles. I've got a pair of Leki's that have them and I really appreciate them. I only use trekking poles on hikes with serious incline/decline for the most part and it's really nice to have that little bit of absorption. They still hold plenty stiff and feel solid, it's not like a pogo stick. If you've never used them before I'd certainly recommend trying them out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've been looking through my clothing recently and I realized that with spring/summer coming up I'm woefully under-prepaired for outside adventures; hell, the only real winter coat I have is from J-Crew. I just got my REI dividend along with a 20%off one item coupon so I think I'm going to invest in some sort of jacket, but I have no idea where to start. I was up at the REI in Boulder a few weeks ago and there were a ton of different jackets with different features, insulation levels, & price ranges. This'll probably be a dumb question but is anyone able to do a small write-up on different types of jackets? Would a thin rain jacket be a good place to start with layering underneath?

The type of jacket you should pick up first is really going to depend on what the bulk of your outdoor activity is going to consist of. If you don't plan on doing a lot of hiking in the rain then I wouldn't recommend a rain jacket as your first purchase.

Here's a really basic/quickly whipped together run-down of what types of jackets you'll want to have for outdoorsy stuff.

Fleece Jacket - insulating layer for wearing over a base layer (read short or long sleeve shirt). Fleece is great because it's lightweight, has good insulating properties, and is fairly breathable but it won't keep you dry.

Soft Shell - a cross between a fleece and a outer shell, personally I'd rate soft shells as the most versatile piece of outerwear if you could only buy one. They'll have some water repelling properties and some insulating properties and should be highly packable. Great for day hikes and as a piece to layer under or over other layers as you pick up other jackets. I wear my Arc'teryx soft shell over a base layer, or over a down sweater, or under a hardshell.

Hard Shell - the most water repellent layer, these are what are typically known as rain jackets, they'll keep you dry but the downside is they're less breathable than a fleece or soft shell and they won't have much insulating value.

Down Jacket - these can come in lots of weights, the patagonia-popularized down-sweater style is thin, super-lightweight, and highly packable, not your highschool North Face puffy coat. Lots of brands make down jackets in lots of fills, just don't get them wet because they lose insulating properties quickly if you do and take a while to dry out. Great for crisp/cool fall days or for putting on once you've set up camp and are hanging out in your tent or by the fire.

Hope this helps get you started, I'd probably suggest you look into a fleece or soft shell for your first jacket if you don't have those covered already.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Business of Ferrets posted:

Just to add, an alternative to a fleece jacket is a lightweight synthetic insulated jacket; I use the Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody, but plenty of makers have comparable models. These are warmer for their weight than fleece, many models cut the wind better, and they tend to compress better and so take up less space in a pack when not needed. I picked up my Nano Puff for use as some sort of emergency backup insulation piece in the event of wet weather, but it turned out to be the jacket I've used most this past winter. It is too thin to just hang around in if temps are near freezing, but for moving around (hiking, etc.) it is perfect. Now that I think about it, the only fleece I own is an R1 Hoody, and only because it is such a great piece. I've replaced the rest with insulated jackets, and have been very pleased.

You're probably on the right track with a soft shell. My only advice would be to find something with a hood; if it's there, you might be surprised how welcome it can become. I simply don't buy jackets without hoods anymore. If you climb, etc., check to make sure it fits over (or under, but over is better) a helmet.

e: I didn't dig too much, but this looks like REI's hooded soft shell: http://www.rei.com/product/844350/rei-mccone-soft-shell-jacket-mens I have no idea about the fit/quality, but might be worth a look if you're in the store anyway.

very true, totally missed synthetic lightweight jackets. I sort of figure they fill the same hole as a down jacket, just that they're better for wetter climates. Similarly I picked up my Patagonia down sweater last winter and it's become my favorite every-day jacket, great for keeping me just that little bit warmer on cold days but so light that it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a jacket. I can tell I'll have some sort of jacket like this in my closet all the time from here on out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MojoAZ posted:

Just wanted to add my thoughts on soft shells. While they are wonderfully comfortable garments under many conditions, I don't find them that useful for backpacking. While they offer some warmth, they are typically not warm enough to be carried as your only insulating garment. Similarly, while they will resist some precipitation, they'll wet out and leak in any serious rain, so you typically have to carry waterproofs anyway. Also, on backpacking trips there will be times where you want water resistance but not insulation, or where you want insulation with maximum breathability/no water resistance, neither of which the soft shell does very well. Soft shells occupy this weird nebulous zone where they're great for mild conditions but not actually versatile enough to replace separate garments that serve the same functions, usually for less weight. I have several soft shell garments and I love them for dayhikes and casual adventures where the consequences of being a little wet or cold aren't a big deal, but they've never found their way into my backpacking load.

My advice was geared toward someone who said they were starting to get into outdoors activities and wanted a first jacket. If you have the money to buy dedicated layering pieces then by all means, do it right the first time and get purpose-specific pieces. If you're looking to get something that should be a good versatile starter piece for a variety of activities though then I'm going to stand by a softshell being a great first jacket. I've got plenty of jackets at this point to meet any number of needs, but for general wearing around town in pacific northwest spring and fall weather, for day hikes, for 2-3 day backpacking trips, and for snowboarding, my arc'teryx hooded softshell is my single most-used piece of outerwear.

Just my $.02, if you have the money and want to get all of your layers at the same time then sure, you might find that a soft shell isn't the absolute most efficient piece to pack for extended backpacking trips, but I'm willing to bet if you don't already know that and are asking people for advice then a soft shell will probably do the job just fine for you for most situations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I have a softshell only for winter/snowy conditions. The minimalist rain jacket goes with me any other time.

e: I mean, that's where they come from. Alpinists wanting something that fits them closely while dragging themselves across poo poo, breathes, stops the wind, is water repellent. They're not for trucking around in the summer.

yeah, depending on what part of the world you're in though spring/fall can be a whole lot colder than other parts of the world, hell even summer nights can be chilly enough here in the PNW to warrant the soft shell going on.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Heners_UK posted:

Has anyone got any really gold recommendations for making your own maps? E. G. Something reasonably clear, 1:20000 or better with 200m contour lines, that you could plot points/tracks on... Preferably vectors/svg for better printing still?

Garmin Mapsource + whichever open-source topo's you prefer?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is it wrong of me to want to return my Garmin Oregon 450 to REI to try to upgrade to something better? My biggest frustration with it is that it takes like 10 minutes sometimes to get a decent satellite lock. I bought it hoping to use it for all of my random weekend hikes so I could keep a running gps log/journal of all of the trips I'd taken but typically when I get to the trailhead and go to turn my gps on nobody wants to wait while I hold it up to the heavens praying for a signal. My iPhone can get a lock in a fraction of the time that this $$$ dedicated GPS unit can. What takes so drat long? Is it realistic to expect that a newer unit might do a better job of acquiring a signal faster?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

We have a 450 and it locks on almost immediately every time. On the other hand I tried to use strava on my phone yesterday and it wouldn't pick up a signal.

he only time there is any sort of a delay is when you travel like 50+ miles and it doesn't know quite where it is. Is the software up to date? Also, when you press on the signal bars when it is searching, is it seeing the satellites?

Also, go into setup->system->gps and make sure it's set to WAAS/EGNOS. WAAS uses radio signals to improve accuracy.

I'd never heard of the WAAS/EGNOS setting so I just switched it to that from Normal.

It acquired a signal really quickly in my house just now, I'll give it a try out on the trail in the next week or so here and see how it performs, thanks for the tip!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I just don't have the general mindset to be returning stuff unless it's not up to standards. It sounds like your 450 may have a malfunction or isn't set properly for your region.. Three-dimensional accuracy from an initial lock generally takes more time, and some units will attempt synchronization in a round-robin fashion, so one can typically expect startup times from 20 seconds to five minutes. Maybe I'm a slow old man, but turning on the GPS before I put on my boots and visit the facilities is typically enough to lock, even if it's inside interference of my vehicle.

Mentally convince yourself that you can honestly state, "This unit does not perform like a $200 GPS designed for hiking; I'm very disappointed with its performance", then go get another one. Don't be surprised, though, if you're in a forest and any GPS you own shows you jumping 5km east in under one minute. :buddy:

Yeah, I honestly have never really abused the REI return policy and have pretty much the same mindset as you. I can't even remember the last time I returned something to REI, I was really just starting to feel like that pretty much, this doesn't perform like what I'd expect from a $300 dedicated GPS, I would think it would acquire signals faster and be more accurate.

I'll give it a try again after changing settings but I'm not going to rule out trying to exchange it for a newer or higher end model if it's still having trouble. The hikes I'm doing are mostly in heavily forested areas and a good amount of them will be in the Columbia River Gorge which has some pretty steep walls so I'm expecting that will effect it to some degree but then that's why I got a dedicated GPS and wasn't just using my phone.

While we're on the GPS topic, I just started playing around with Basecamp (was using MapSource up until now) are there any ways to visualize your track data in-app? I'd like to be able to see elevation graphs and speed heatmaps or whatever they call them but I can't figure out a way to do it in the app itself, I would think it should be able to do exactly that. Also what's the deal with the birdseye maps, you have to have a Garmin subscription or something to use those? Is it worth it? why can't I just pull satellite map imagery from Google or Bing or something?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

I'm pretty sure going to a newer/more expensive garmin is not going to improve anything. Really the difference between the 450 and the 550 is the camera, and then the Montana 650 gets a bigger screen. Functionally I think they are all identical.

In basecamp you can see an elevation and speed graph by opening up the data window (double click on the track in the left bar). And yes, you have to pay to use birdseye, but there is a way to make your own satellite overlays. If you haven't yet, go over to gpsfiledepot and get yourself some better base maps, plus there are tutorials for making your own.

awesome, I'll try that out. I just noticed the Oregon 650 came out but if they aren't changing the antennas at all then I suppose it doesn't matter if I have a bigger screen or whatever.

I used gpsfiledepot to grab the set of maps I'm using now, I think I've got these two loaded:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/412/
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/27/

as well as the US 100k map.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Miron posted:

Double clicking the track or right click->open brings up the detail window that has the elevation and speed graphs.

I believe you do need a subscription for Birdseye. You may be able to make your own satellite photo maps, but I haven't looked into it.

I have a GPSmap 62s and the lock time can take a bit after travelling a long distance since last powering the device on but once on I've never had any issues. The 450 says it has a high sensitivity receiver but I don't believe it is the same quality as most of their "on the trail" products which are better suited for environments with a lot of interference and sky cover.

ahhh, got it, thanks. I was trying to click on the tracks in the top left under Library > My Collection, didn't realize you have to click on them in the bottom, not sure I totally understand why it does that but I'll try to play with it some more.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Please help me spend my money Hiking & Backpacking goons!

I did a job for Snow Peak and part of my payment was $1000 in product credit. I spent $120 of it on a Gransfors Bruks axe already but now I can't figure out what to do with the rest of it.

All of their product is on their site here: http://www.snowpeak.com/ and they've got some pretty rad stuff.

My problem is I don't really need anything that they have. I already own some of their titanium backpacking cookware, and one of their gigapower stoves. Beyond that I like some of their car camping stuff but it's all so expensive that I can't help but feel like I'm being ripped off even though it's essentially free money that I can't spend anywhere else.

They have some nice camping tarps, but they're like $500 :cough:
They have a nice lantern and I need a lantern but it's like $200 :cough:
They have nice bamboo foldable picnic tables, and nice camp chairs... those are pretty spendy too.
They have a nice modular camp table/grill system but I'd spend all of the gift certificate just getting the frame, a stove, and some inserts.

I guess I'm just hoping someone can tell me what I'd get the most use out of if I'm going to spend an exorbitant amount of money on some camping gear. I wouldn't mind an ultralight tent but their tents are super overpriced and I can't seem to find any good reviews on them... I can also get 50% off of Mtn Hardware tents so I'd probably go with one of those or a Big Agnes when I go shopping for a new backpacking tent.

Any advice? It's not like I'm not thrilled to have some credit to spend on nice stuff, I just feel like I could get 3x as much quality gear if this gift card was for REI or somewhere else. Should I just buy $800 worth of fuel? or a half dozen more axes?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have their Titanium Spork and I always carry it with me in my pack. Seriously.

yup, I've got one of those as well... suppose I could buy a crate full of titanium sporks. Their backpacking gear is high quality and competitively priced, I feel like it's mostly their car camping gear where prices start going crazy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

Take requests on what to buy in here, sell it for 80% the sale price and pocket the cash?

I would... consider this, I feel like I can find something I can make use of though.

Speleothing posted:

Browsing their website, I'd focus on the car-camping stuff. A lot of the heftier cookware would be pretty good just for the kitchen at your house. Of course, I'm at the stage in my life where I'm just starting to build a collection of home-goods. If you're already well furnished then I don't know what to say.

Gas lanterns are super-handy to have around.

Don't buy Ti cookware, unless you're going ultralight. It isn't very good for even heating.

Edit: If you can get that Boreas pack, they're pretty nice.

we've got most of our home cookware figured out, their cast iron is too small for home use, kind of an odd specialty type of thing that would make a lot of sense if you do a lot of campground cooking of cobbler and stuff like that I suppose, I've always been a pretty minimal campground cook but it'd be nice stuff for being a little more gourmet.

I do want/need a gas lantern but... isn't $225 for a gas lantern a little ridiculous? It'd be nice to have a common fuel w/ my stove but I just can't figure out what makes their lantern worth 5x as much as a Coleman or whatever other lanterns are out there.

I've got one of their Ti sets already for backpacking and it works nicely enough but it's just like pot/dish set for cooking dehydrated meals or making coffee or whatever.

I've got a new Osprey Atmos 65 pack but I'm going to try to get my girlfriend to try on one of the boreas packs since she's in need of a new pack.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have one more gear question.

REI has the Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket on sale for $299 ($475).

I tried one on and really liked it, and every reviewer has nothing but good things to say about it. I will absolutely spend the big money if it's a piece that I will end up keeping forever, but I'd still like a goonpinion before spending $300 on a rain jacket. I would be using this for basically everything, from hiking, backpacking, anything outdoorsy (fishing, etc), wearing to a sporting event, etc.

Is there anything I should know about upkeep or treatment of a jacket like this? Can you stuff it in a backpack or will that somehow damage it? How long are these expected to last? Anyone have one?

The salesman at REI told me it was his favorite jacket he owns, and it should be treated for re-waterproofing every 3 washes or so.

I've got an arc'teryx gamma soft shell that I've had for like 4 years or so now and it's one of my favorite jackets I've ever owned... I also have a pair of Beta AR pants and they fit incredibly well and keep me completely dry. I've never had one of their hard shells but I'm sure they're amazing. If you can spend the dough I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I can't remember the last time I washed one of my shells. I'm not usually crawling around in mud or anything though so I'm not sure how long you'd go before you hit 4 washes or whatever.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

krispykremessuck posted:

I tend to over-pack even for day hikes. For example, I never go anywhere at this point in the season without my ice axe and microspikes. Trails may be a bit different here in the sense that there are tons of places with 10+ feet of snow still, and some of that snow is getting rotten or melting out from underneath. The point is, I'm prepared for really lovely conditions. I don't hike ultra-light because I'm training for some serious summits this summer, and because I just don't like being un/under-prepared. I've also seen some pretty gnarly trail injuries because of stupid/piss-poor decisions about what people should/shouldn't bring/wear.

Also I have a whiteboard at home where I note trail, target, dates, anticipated times, and who is with me so my girlfriend knows to tell them where to look for bodies me and my friends.

edit: note: I'm not making GBS threads on ultra-light hikers, mainly people that roll up in yoga pants with some Keds and try to summit moderate places like Mt. Ellinor here.

ahhh, see, you're talking about PNW "hiking" here. I think most of the folks in this thread are AT/East Coast hikers. probably important to call out that there are going to be some big differences in what a minimum safe loadout is for this time of year depending on what part of the country (or world) you're in.

I hike primarily in Oregon and Southwest Washington where there's still snow on top of most of the trails in the cascades and the columbia river gorge. I'm also a pretty fairweather hiker though so I'm never going to have microspikes or an ice axe on me because if I come across snow that's too deep on the trail I'll likely just call it a day and head back down to the nearest brewpub for lunch.

I think it really all depends on what you're setting out to tackle. snow/ice on the trail really ups the ante regardless of where you are.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Chroisman posted:

For snow shoes and crampons, do they usually just strap onto any boot across the board, or do you have to have boots that are more so catered towards putting crampons and snow shoes on? I'm not likely to do anything like that in the immediate future but I was just wondering.

Crampons, yes, snowshoes, not so much. Crampons are typically designed to fit on hard boots that have a toe and healed designed for them to latch on. Micro spikes or yaktrax will fit on any boots. Snowshoes should fit on any as well.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Verman posted:

VVVVV - Agreed, my closest hiking buddies and I have a "wuss" rule meaning that nobody will think or speak negatively of anyone on the trip if we need to call it quits early for any reason. A lot of times groups of people, especially guys, can get competitive and feel like they need to prove something so they don't voice their concerns and can get themselves into trouble. Before setting out, especially with new people, we make it very welcoming for anyone to speak up about concerns. It generally leads to really good trips and a general group understanding that safety is the primary focus, which relaxes everyone and makes it really enjoyable.

This is a great policy definitely don't want to be hiking with people who would peer pressure you into potential serious injury.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know a fairly easy overnight hike in northern Oregon-ish?

I'm taking MY GIRLFRIEND and I don't want anything too extreme. This would be her first overnight with me.

Unfortunately hood still has too much snow on it to do most overnights above timberline, I've been meaning to go to goat rocks as I hear its
Great for overnight but that might be a good option in southern Washington. I'll think of some more good ones.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so Elijya mentioned that he keeps all of his survival gear in a small pouch that he just moves from one pack to the other... got me thinking I should probably make one of these since I use different packs for different trips.

Does anybody have a recommended packing list or a link to a video or site that has a good list to use as a basis?

thinking like compass, bandaids, gauze, some paracord, moleskin, whistle, etc. minimalist and lightweight but good emergency gear.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 30, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

rcman50166 posted:

Edit: While we are at it, are tents sold by Eastern Mountain Sports and Dick's Sporting Goods actually good quality tents or are they marked up incredibly? They're around $200-$400 for a 2-3 person

Eastern Mountain Sports is far more likely to carry good name brand tents than Dicks, at least if the Dicks out your way has similar selection to what ours out west have.

EMS in my experience carries similar brands to REI, unless its changed a lot in recent years.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ATP5G1 posted:

On Friday I'll be headed out to middle-of-nowhere Colorado (Westcliffe) to stay in a cabin for a week. I hope to do a lot of hiking and outdoors stuff. No camping though because we don't have the equipment.

Problem is, it has been well over a decade since I've done any serious hiking so I am pretty rusty on what to pack and what not to pack. Pretty much the only thing I have is boots.

Does anyone have sock recommendations? Like, can I just get normal synthetic hiking socks on Amazon? Is it OK to get cheap ones or will I hate myself if I don't upgrade?

I was going to buy some iodine tablets in case of water emergencies. Is this a good idea or is an actual filtration system necessary?

I have a 20oz metal water bottle. Am I going to want something bigger (for an all-day hike I'm thinking yes)?

I don't own any fancy quick-dry pants. I was planning on just hiking in jeans. OK? Not OK? If not OK, anyone have recommendations for not-insanely-expensive hiking pants? I'm jumping on this late in the game so don't have time to order pants online, try them on, then return them if they don't fit. I do have workout pants made of quick-drying material, but they wouldn't offer much protection.

Speaking of clothing, my layering was just going to be t-shirt, hoodie, and outer shell jacket, with a fleece lining for night.

For a pack, I have this kind of thing, a backpack that's slightly sturdier than normal ones.

I recognize that none of these ideas are optimal, but since this was my first excursion in a long time I didn't want to immediately dump a bunch of cash on equipment. I guess I'm trying to figure out which fancy stuff is absolutely essential and which is icing.

I'd rather have 2 pairs of quality socks than 5 pairs of cheap ones. I'm a big fan of Smart Wool but REI's branded socks are good as well. If you're hiking any kind of great distances or if you were backpacking I'd suggest you try out silk sock liners too but probably not too necessary if you're not backpacking.

I'd certainly suggest you get some better, synthetic, hiking pants, they don't have to be terribly spendy or fancy but anything is going to be better than denim.

For an all day hike you definitely want more than a 20oz water bottle... you should probably look at a small camelbak or platypus style hydration bladder that you can throw in your pack.

You can get most of this gear for not too much money and you'll be much more comfortable for it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've never abused that policy, haven't even ever returned anything after a year I don't think.... I don't mind that they're making it stricter at all, I just hope they still have the flexibility to be reasonable when people return things for legitimate reasons past the 1 year mark.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I would say a more legitimate reason is just wear. you purchase a high performance apparel piece that starts breaking down after 18 months or something say.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

LogisticEarth posted:

Isn't that something that would be covered more through warranties and directly dealing with the manufacturer? REI does sell a lot of house brands though. I forget, do they have warranties/guarantees on their own stuff?

yes, but historically REI has handled all of that for you. and that's one thing I've always really appreciated, I'd rather have all warranty issues handled by the retailer where I bought the product since they already have a history with them a process in place for sending things back and forth. I'm terrible about mailing anything out and I'd much rather just drop by REI and let them know that the product I purchased from them has developed a leak or whatever.

Speaking of product returns. Does anybody have much experience with Patagonia? I have a down sweater jacket that is only a year and a half old, I bought it at a Patagonia store here in Portland and it's developed a hole that is leaking down. Normally I'd say, oh, my fault, I snagged it on something and just let it ride but the hole is right over where the cinch is for the waist drawcord so it's clear that just the placement of the cinch caused for too much abrasion in the fabric. It seems like it could be a design flaw that could be fixed pretty easily with just some reenforcing there or a repositioning of the cinch.

Is this something that is worth bringing in to Patagonia or am I being an rear end for thinking that's on them?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

stealie72 posted:

68 litres isn't exactly getting into an extended expedition sized pack. Frankly, I'm not sure how you'd fit two people's gear in there. It will work just fine for your gear for a 1-3 night backpacking trip, though.

But for what you want to do, just get a decent day pack. You don't need to go fancy, anything with structured/padded straps that have some kind of a shape to them (not just thin rectangles hanging off the top of the pack), a hip belt, and a padded back for some support will be fine. If it's hydration bladder compatible so much the better.

You shouldn't have issue finding a pack like that for $50 $50-75 or so. I've been using a Lafuma pack that I got for like $20 at Sierra Trading Post for a decade now, and I adore the thing. I think my $20 even got me a hydration bladder.

This ^^

I've been really happy with my Camelbak pack for daypacks, all of their cycling/mountain biking packs feel very well designed for day hikes. They have just enough room for a hydration bladder, a jacket, your sunglasses/camera, and enough food to get you through the day. The plus side is they come with a good quality 2-3L hydration pack, the down-side is they're on the spendy side.

If you don't mind looking for a sale or picking up an odd color (brighter colors always go on sale) you can get them for a reasonable price on amazon or in a shop.

I've been using an older model of this one for day hikes and biking for the past couple of years and it's served me great:
http://shop.camelbak.com/blowfish/d/1028

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2J3MaIKwwE

If you don't mind this yellow one you can pick it up for $56 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Hydr...s=camelbak+mule

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

contrapants posted:

I didn't know Camelbak was a brand of pack. I thought it was the name of the hydration system that went in to other packs. :downs:

One more thing: I'd like to bring my DSLR with me on the trail. Are there any packs that are good for that? I've seen padded camera cases to put in any pack and I've seen packs that are made to only hold tons of camera equipment. I haven't seen anything in between the two extremes, so I don't think they exist.

They originally just made the hydration bladders but have since started making a large line of packs in various sizes for holding their system. The running ones are super minimal and don't hold a ton of water or gear but they've got enough room for like a few energy bars and your keys or whatever, the cycling ones are what I tend to feel are the right size for light hike day packs.

I've been backpacking with my dslr for several years now and I think the best way to do it is just to buy a camera wrap like this http://www.amazon.com/camera-photo/dp/B00009R88F and maybe a few extra for lenses if you carry more than one lens. Then I just make sure I have my dslr at the top of the pack and I don't set my pack down hard when I'm stopping for a break. Lowe Pro makes some good packs that you could feasibly use for backpacking but I think you'll be better served just buying something more specific to hiking and then wrap your camera in something protective to keep it from banging around.