Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

That's why I said 'decreasingly' for the military guys, the stuff that people were doing 15 years ago would be frowned upon now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke, our new GSD

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Not sure how they do it in other nations but in Germany, police dogs (at least those that sniff out drugs or bombs) are also trained with play and positive reinforcement, usually by making their toys smell of whatever they're meant to find later, and training them to find them (and how to point them out and such, of course). I'm not sure how training for other police dog duties work, but at least for sniffing out drugs or explosives, the police has switched to methods where the dog is enjoying itself. (Naturally, no actual drugs are used to prepare the toys)

So a police dog sniffing out drugs is really just looking for his hash-smelling toy :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That's how they're trained by the US police force (and in Schutzhund) as well.

Ugh the worst part about shepherd puppies is how they jump up and gnaw the poo poo out of your arm when they're excited. It's not a big deal when we're in the house because I can just toss him in timeout but it makes me want to shoot him when he does it on walks. He doesn't do it nearly as much as he used to but sometimes he gets The Crazy (like today :mad:) and it's just JUMP JUMP BITE BITE BITE JUMP SCREAM

gently caress you dog :mad: I stopped carrying a tug on walks because I thought you were over this poo poo

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE
Hello GSD peeps. This is Max, my mom's GSD:

He might be a little overweight.

Max likes running back and forth along the fence line, and will gleefully do this for 15-20 minutes before getting bored, especially if there's something on the other side he wants. He once killed a deer like a wolf, by grabbing it by the neck and bringing it down :black101:. My mom has pastures in which she breeds horses, and he used to have the run of them before this happened. It kinda makes you think twice about letting him around any foals unsupervised.

If he's not getting his way he will let you know although despite his pushiness he's still trainable. He likes to sit in front of people while they're watching television, as it's VERY important to him that you pay some attention to him at all times even when you're otherwise engaged. His favorite game with me is to come barreling at me as fast as he can, missing at the last second. He does this every time he sees me :arghfist:. If I'm not prepared for it it can be quite nerve-wracking.

Despite his faults, I gotta love that German Shepherd Dog.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I took some videos of my husband working with Vecna at the park today. drat that dog loves his ball.
Restrained recall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-gFmy6Fw4
Fetch and recall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njf8nZM3ojY
Very sloppy sits and downs. He's so drat excited for the ball that he just bounces around lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS1bEimE-98
A sloppy leg weave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNzZKZ83T4

Man he's getting so big and training him with the ball is so fun :3: He's sloppy as hell right now but we're working on speed and ethusiasm rather than the behaviors being neat. I'll worry about cleaning them up later.

E: This evening Vecna loving launched himself over a 4 ft. high wall at top speed to get a ball that accidently got thrown over it :gonk: Jesus loving Christ dog.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 2, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

haha I love how Venca slooowwlllyyy scoots his sits and downs back in the direction the ball's going to go. :haw:

As someone who owns a husky and not a GSD, it's really funny to me to see what you're considering "sloppy". Venca working for his absolute favorite reward is like Buddy working for a moderate reward (low level treat like cheerios or going outside in the morning when he's still tired.) He seriously bounds in the air and shakes he gets so excited about good food and treats that it takes everything he has to keep his self control when I ask him to, and he's nearly 11! Long story short, I can't wait for my next dog to be one that actually wants to train and listen, as opposed to one that just tolerates it to get what he wants, haha.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Triangulum posted:

Man he's getting so big and training him with the ball is so fun :3: He's sloppy as hell right now but we're working on speed and ethusiasm rather than the behaviors being neat. I'll worry about cleaning them up later.

E: This evening Vecna loving launched himself over a 4 ft. high wall at top speed to get a ball that accidently got thrown over it :gonk: Jesus loving Christ dog.

I'm officially in love with your dog.
Just saying :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
He's pretty much the best dog :3:

WolfensteinBag posted:

haha I love how Venca slooowwlllyyy scoots his sits and downs back in the direction the ball's going to go. :haw:

As someone who owns a husky and not a GSD, it's really funny to me to see what you're considering "sloppy". Venca working for his absolute favorite reward is like Buddy working for a moderate reward (low level treat like cheerios or going outside in the morning when he's still tired.) He seriously bounds in the air and shakes he gets so excited about good food and treats that it takes everything he has to keep his self control when I ask him to, and he's nearly 11! Long story short, I can't wait for my next dog to be one that actually wants to train and listen, as opposed to one that just tolerates it to get what he wants, haha.

Haha the scooting drives me nuts but it is really cute. I was hoping I could get a video of him bounding off the ground into a sit but I was too slow. But man, the best thing about GSDs is how into training they can be. It makes up for the horrible biting pretty well. When we use the ball for training I have to force him to take a break or he'll run himself into the ground and he usually spends most of the break pouting and trying to get me to throw his ball again.

My husband took a video of us doing tracking but uh... it's pretty bad. I really screwed up some of the handling when we first got started so I'm having to retrain a bunch of poo poo. He gets really, really excited about tracking and charges down the track, which isn't acceptable. So now I'm holding him on a super short leash so he can't wander off track and pointing out the food drops he misses in hopes he'll learn to track slowly and methodically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHcXXG3Ay4
Honestly I'm thinking I might need to backtrack even further and just have him work on scent pads for a while. I should have done more research before we started :sigh:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Vecna is six months old! Have some photos from today!

:woof: :hf: :buddy:

I'm gonna try and get his height, weight, and a vaugely stacked picture in a bit.

E:
Best I could get sadly

Height: 58 cm/22.8"
Weight: 29 kilos/64 lbs

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 12, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Wow, he's so handsome!! It's hard to believe he's only 6 months, he already has 10lb on my dog. :stare: He's going to be stunning as an adult! Happy Birthday, Vecna! :toot:

So, I'm feeling incredibly guilty for :f5:ing the Wildhaus site waiting for breeding news. Seems like they've had a bad year, just noticed one of their dogs passed away just at the end of the year, so that makes 4 for 2012. :( Guessing they have other things on their minds, at the moment...

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Wow, he's so handsome!! It's hard to believe he's only 6 months, he already has 10lb on my dog. :stare: He's going to be stunning as an adult! Happy Birthday, Vecna! :toot:

So, I'm feeling incredibly guilty for :f5:ing the Wildhaus site waiting for breeding news. Seems like they've had a bad year, just noticed one of their dogs passed away just at the end of the year, so that makes 4 for 2012. :( Guessing they have other things on their minds, at the moment...

Thanks :3: My husband bought him some chew toys and I made him a new tug to celebrate his half birthday. I can't believe how big he is, he's going to be a big loving dog when he grows up. I know in the last pic he looks like he doesn't have much of an abdominal tuck but trust me when I say that's a result of my lovely picture taking abilities. When he's not being shoved into all sorts of awkward positions he looks lean and muscular as poo poo :3:

Some more dumb park pictures

Vecna's new trick is putting his front feet on whatever I tap.

Sticks are pretty much the poo poo

It's hard to believe that my dog went from this

to this

That's really sad to hear about Wildhaus :( I've been trying to stay off their website because my husband's started talking about "When we get our next GSD..." rather than "If we get another dog..." and Wildhaus dogs are just too tempting :sigh:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 14, 2013

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I was asked to post a million pictures of my dog Jet (he's 3/4 long haired GSD and 1/4 Groenendael) so here are some:

Album from today/yesterday:

http://imgur.com/a/N2Xiu

Gif!

Where we take him for walks (click for big).

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Your dog is loving beautiful, I am so jealous. Where did you get him from? How old is he? I love his little white beard :3:

I know I've mentioned a few times how much training recall with a ball has changed Vecna's compliance and how awesome the book Schutzhund: Theory and Training Methods is, so I scanned a bit of the recall section. If this counts as :filez:, I'll take it down (but seriously, if you have a ball crazy dog buy this book).

Sorry about the weird cropping and image sizes.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
We got him as a puppy because some people who lived quite near us had a litter rather than going to a breeder. We'd rather we had him than some of the idiots around here who just want a big dog to be intimidating.

We had all the usual checks and vaccinations done and he was completely healthy and still going strong at 9 now, getting on a bit for a dog of his size (weighs around 95-100lbs).

Cheers for the scans, I'll look at getting that book although he's generally very obedient.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
No problem, I'd just recommend ignoring anything from that book that talks about whacking your dog with the leash because he didn't listen or any of the correction poo poo. If you throw that stuff out, it's a loving fantastic book for figuring out how to train using ball rewards rather than food rewards. Not that there's anything wrong with food rewards or anything, but my dog's way more into fetch and tug.

Out of curiosity, do you know how tall he is at the shoulder? I'm guessing Vecna will end up about that heavy once he hits adulthood and finishes filling out.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
He's around 66-67cm, so on the larger side.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
:stare: Vecna's 6 months old and 58 cm.

I really wish his "breeder" could figure out the Internet and email and all that poo poo. I'd really love to know how tall his mom and dad are just for comparison's sake.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Yeah I think you might have a giant on your hands, there's someone near me with a GSD/Great Dane and it's enormous. Must be 85cm at the shoulder.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, I have some puppy related decisions to mull over! :ohdear: I can't believe that puppy time is actually coming up enough for me to seriously think of this stuff! :toot:

Here's my current dilemma. My absolute first choice in breeders is Wildhaus Kennels in Michigan. I love the dogs, I love the experience of the breeder, I love her opinions on health, genetics, and structure. However, it's been a long time, now, since they've updated about their future breeding plans, so I'm sorta stuck on that front. I have NO idea if they're going to be planning any litters around the time we'll be ready for a dog, and then I have no idea if we'll "make the cut" since demand for puppies from that kennel is so high.

I've been following a few other breeders in the mean time, one of which is practically right around the corner. Granville German Shepherds is actually in another suburb of Chicago, about 45 minutes away from me. The girl is relatively new to breeding, but is super dedicated to health in her dogs and tests their temperaments in all sorts of different activities (sort of the, "Do what the dog loves," mentality as opposed to focusing on JUST SchH or obedience or whatever). She also has donated dogs to use as service animals, and it seems like at least one dog out of every litter is used for that sort of thing. She also shows her dogs in the UKC which is something I want to get involved with, so she would be an awesome resource since I have NO idea how to get started, and she's even around here so she'd be at the same shows.

There's even a litter next fall that I'm really interested in. The sire is out of her first litter, and not only is he beautiful (there's an even better picture of him here), his temperament sounds really great for what I want and would match well with the dam, I think. I want a dog that's going to be interested in obedience and nosework, but that's going to settle well in the house, be good with kids, and especially good with other dogs since I want to be able to use my next dog as a demo dog in my training business. I think it's really possible to get what I want out of this litter.

Things to consider: since this breeder is still relatively new, there's obviously going to be some concern with puppy selection. I DO know that she's working with some other friends who are breeders and trainers and she's doing the biosensor program with the puppies as well as doing temperament testing to place them in the right homes. I might not get as much breeder "instinct" as I would with Wildhaus, however, that comes from breeding multiple litters.

There's also a bit of a concern with the history of the sire. His dam was also the breeder's dog, and it looks like her line is pretty unknown, at least on paper. She's the first one to be health tested. It looks like her other dogs, and the ones she's using, are more known, sorta like she's learning as she goes, but there's still that little bit of unknown background. With Wildhaus, the pedigrees are filled with health testing and high SchH titles. I can't decide how I feel about it. On the one hand there's a lot of unknowns, but on the other, this dog is another generation removed, him and his mother were health tested, the dogs are all tested for DM for the litter (dam is N/N, sire is N/A).

So, yeah, I don't know what to do!! I still have time to decide, but I would hate to miss out on a good dog by dragging my feet. I know I'm going to wait at least a little longer to see if anything pops up with Wildhaus, but I just don't know!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WolfensteinBag posted:

So, yeah, I don't know what to do!! I still have time to decide, but I would hate to miss out on a good dog by dragging my feet. I know I'm going to wait at least a little longer to see if anything pops up with Wildhaus, but I just don't know!

Have you actually contacted either of these breeders or are you just being a looky-loo on their websites? I'm sure the people at Wildhaus know what their current breeding plans are even if they haven't posted them so you can always write/call and ask. Then see what the demand is like and if they think you have a chance of getting a puppy in the time you want. Contact the other breeder too. Ask about the breeding you are interested in and bring up your concerns. They should either be able to address the things you are worried about and if not you will know you don't want to continue to pursue that breeder.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I already have! ;) Wildhaus already knows what I'm looking for and when, and is going to contact me if they might have something for me. I just contacted Granville, too, but she had yet to get back to me. I have talked to her before, though, and she really seems like she wants to learn and do the right things. She's just pretty new, and then there's the unknown stuff I was talking about v:shobon:v

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

More and more I'm finding that it's incredibly important to actually meet the sire & dam, see how they work and how they operate when not working. The dogs look really nice on paper. In my search for a breeder of potential future BCs I'm finding myself much more inclined to get a dog out of someone who I know, whose dogs I know, and who I can keep in touch with easily. I want that support, and I want the breeder to be proud of what I accomplish with their pup.

Wildhaus looks wonderful, and I really like what I've seen of them. But I'd really want to meet with them in person to properly guage how well we'd mesh before I puchased a dog.

The smaller breeder also looks quite nice. The sire is lovely to look at, though I can't say I'm crazy about the look of the dam. You may get a better breeder experience from someone smaller, assuming her dogs are of equal quality to Wildhaus. Since they're probably not, I see your conundrum.

A lot of people say that you should buy the breeder, not the puppy. So start talking with these people and meet their dogs if possible. See how things pan out. Sometimes it's just a matter of one breeder having a puppy available when you're ready, and the other requiring you to wait.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Aslan officially broke the 50-lb mark at his last vet appointment. He also graduated from puppy obedience! :toot:

He also got neutered a couple of days ago. My friends were debating whether or not to wait until he was finished growing, but I think they eventually decided they had too much else going on to try and juggle an intact male who was becoming increasingly interested in adult male behaviors.

Unfortunately the last time I visited, I came home itching like crazy. I think now that his adult coat is coming in, his dander has changed or something, and I'm allergic to him :smith:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

The sire is lovely to look at, though I can't say I'm crazy about the look of the dam. You may get a better breeder experience from someone smaller, assuming her dogs are of equal quality to Wildhaus. Since they're probably not, I see your conundrum.

That's also a kinda lovely, top down picture. Here's a better one:
http://www.granvillegsd.com/kashmirs-accomplishments.html
although, I still would prefer a little more slope to the rear.

Yeah, that is really what it boils down to. The one breeder is better quality, the other would be more support. :sigh: Wildhaus did invite us to come meet the dogs if we're ever in MI, but it's pretty far. We were thinking of MAYBE planning a small trip over summer, but who knows?

Also, congrats, Aslan!! :toot: That is such a cute picture. :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WolfensteinBag posted:

That's also a kinda lovely, top down picture. Here's a better one:
http://www.granvillegsd.com/kashmirs-accomplishments.html
although, I still would prefer a little more slope to the rear.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Both matches look good to me but I really think you have your heart set on a Wildhaus dog :)

Kashmir and Coltrane's accomplishments seem lackluster to me :/ Conformation achievements, sure. Then a dabble of basics and a little lure coursing. Are these dogs a good representative of the GSD, with a sharp mind and lots of drive? I don't see that from what the breeder has listed as Accomplishments. However, this breeder seems amazing with her focus on health. And if she is so new its ok to be a little forgiving. She got her dogs titled and maybe 2013 will be the Year of Obedience/Agility/SchH/Lure Coursing/Herding/Whatever.

Maybe this is why it is so important to see the sire and dam as a life less suggests. If you meet Kashmir and Coltrane, their presence and personalities may blow you out of the water. On paper to me, they look like show dogs. Personally I think GSDs should be "more than" a show dog.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats Aslan :3: I really can't wait to get back to the US so I can get Vecna in some training classes. He could use it haha

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Both matches look good to me but I really think you have your heart set on a Wildhaus dog :)

Kashmir and Coltrane's accomplishments seem lackluster to me :/ Conformation achievements, sure. Then a dabble of basics and a little lure coursing. Are these dogs a good representative of the GSD, with a sharp mind and lots of drive? I don't see that from what the breeder has listed as Accomplishments. However, this breeder seems amazing with her focus on health. And if she is so new its ok to be a little forgiving. She got her dogs titled and maybe 2013 will be the Year of Obedience/Agility/SchH/Lure Coursing/Herding/Whatever.

Maybe this is why it is so important to see the sire and dam as a life less suggests. If you meet Kashmir and Coltrane, their presence and personalities may blow you out of the water. On paper to me, they look like show dogs. Personally I think GSDs should be "more than" a show dog.

This is pretty much my feelings on Granville. I'm not crazy about how leggy both sire and dam are and their rear angulation looks off to me in the stacked photos, especially the dam. But I'm no expert in structure so take that with a grain of salt. That combined with relatively unknown health in the lines and lack of SchH, IPO, or KKL titles kind of puts me off. I get the "do what the dog loves" mindset but the whole point of Schutzhund is to determine which GSDs are worthy of being bred and the fact that not a single one of her dogs is SchH, IPO, or KKL titled rings alarm bells for me. None of the dogs on Coltrane's dam's lines are titled in anything besides conformation for like 5 generations, which also sketches me out because she's bred by the same breeder. Kashmir's lines look a lot better in terms of titling though.

I dunno, they don't look terrible or anything but the lack of titling outside conformation and stuff like lure coursing and dock diving makes me think they're basically nice looking show dogs v:shobon:v I'm kind of a weirdo I guess because I honestly don't like seeing conformation titles in GSDs at all.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 21, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

...makes me think they're basically nice looking show dogs v:shobon:v I'm kind of a weirdo I guess because I honestly don't like seeing conformation titles in GSDs at all.

Is there something wrong that, on paper, I don't have a problem with this? :shobon: I think I've gotten a skewed view of things from dealing with CsVs for so long, though. With a smaller breeding pool and an attitude that doesn't necessarily lend itself to high titling, I've quit being so strict in "ALL PARENTS MUST BE SchH TITLED!!! :black101: " I've also come to learn that there are a LOT of people out there who will purchase an already titled dog just to breed them, then there's also great people who know what they're doing and know how to gauge personality, who don't have the resources to title their dogs so high. I'm also actually interested in getting involved in UKC showing since they amended the standard, so it would be good to have a good contact with that.

At any rate, she got back to me last night, and unless a puppy pops out at the time with a fantastically stellar personality that isn't already claimed, I think I'm going to end up passing. She was absolutely up front about the personalities of the dogs involved, and didn't try to "sell" the litter at all, which I absolutely love. But, Coltrane's dam has issues with being OVERLY protective (although Coltrane himself has a great personality) and she was describing Cashmere's temperament as very husky-like (which is why she hasn't worked at getting her higher titles), which I'm fine training, but the whole goal of getting GSD from a breeder, aside from health, was a very biddable temperament. :(

Seriously crossing my fingers that Wildhaus has something for us next year! :ohdear:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, from what I'm hearing, I'm not terribly impressed. The biddability is a huge issue for me and I would not have any interest in a pup who was not.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WolfensteinBag posted:

Is there something wrong that, on paper, I don't have a problem with this? :shobon: I think I've gotten a skewed view of things from dealing with CsVs for so long, though. With a smaller breeding pool and an attitude that doesn't necessarily lend itself to high titling, I've quit being so strict in "ALL PARENTS MUST BE SchH TITLED!!! :black101:
the whole goal of getting GSD from a breeder, aside from health, was a very biddable temperament. :(

Seriously crossing my fingers that Wildhaus has something for us next year! :ohdear:

I don't really care about show dogs on paper either. I still don't like a working dog whose purpose and personality has been changed to fit the show ring but to each their own! I just wanted to speak up because of your goal.

But there are a lot of GSDs, so you can get exactly what you want. This isn't the CsV where you may need to compromise, which also helps the breed develop. You have the luxury of being choosy, you just need to trust the breeder will ship you the right pup (I wouldn't personally fly all over to look at sires & dams).

The bad part is waiting :( I really do think you should wait for Wildhaus, you seem to really love everything about them :3:

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala
There are also a ton of GSD rescues all over the US. Most of which are foster based, so the foster home typically has a good feel for the dogs temperament.

Food for thought...

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah but keep in mind that GSDs in the US are mostly overbred messes with a list of health and temperment problems a mile long. It's possible to find a good one who's soundly put together, has a solid temperment, good drive, and few health problems in rescues but it ain't easy. If you have a goal in mind with the dog like Wolfenstein does, you're better getting a puppy with a known pedigree history and a predictable temperment. You're also not going to have much luck finding a GSD you can show with in a rescue. But to be fair, my opinions on GSDs rescues are probably pretty skewed from past experience.

Actually speaking of rescue GSDs, Saber (that crazy dog I tried to adopt a year or so ago ended up being adopted by his foster family. I know a lot of people in PI thought he should have been put down because of his aggression issues but I'm happy he's found a stable living enviornment with people who can deal with his poo poo. He was crazy, but I still miss him.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Is there something wrong that, on paper, I don't have a problem with this? :shobon: I think I've gotten a skewed view of things from dealing with CsVs for so long, though. With a smaller breeding pool and an attitude that doesn't necessarily lend itself to high titling, I've quit being so strict in "ALL PARENTS MUST BE SchH TITLED!!! :black101: " I've also come to learn that there are a LOT of people out there who will purchase an already titled dog just to breed them, then there's also great people who know what they're doing and know how to gauge personality, who don't have the resources to title their dogs so high. I'm also actually interested in getting
involved in UKC showing since they amended the standard, so it would be good to have a good contact with that.

Not really, I'm just kind of a hardline rear end in a top hat about hating GSD showing. I can totally understand where you're coming from though.

quote:

At any rate, she got back to me last night, and unless a puppy pops out at the time with a fantastically stellar personality that isn't already claimed, I think I'm going to end up passing. She was absolutely up front about the personalities of the dogs involved, and didn't try to "sell" the litter at all, which I absolutely love. But, Coltrane's dam has issues with being OVERLY protective (although Coltrane himself has a great personality) and she was describing Cashmere's temperament as very husky-like (which is why she hasn't worked at getting her higher titles), which I'm fine training, but the whole goal of getting GSD from a breeder, aside from health, was a very biddable temperament. :(

Yeah I definitely would pass on that. What a bummer.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 23, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, if you have a very specific idea of exactly what you want/expect in a GSD I would have zero issues going with a breeder. There are loads of wonderful dogs in rescue, but GSDs these are renowned for having weak temperaments and even weaker structure. I also like having a dog from the very beginning so you're not spending excess time bonding with the dog before you can get to the fun training. But I'm weird like that.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I am soooo glad about Saber!!! :dance: I also feel bad that I had NO idea that was you. :downs:

Chachikoala posted:

There are also a ton of GSD rescues all over the US. Most of which are foster based, so the foster home typically has a good feel for the dogs temperament.

Food for thought...

Like the others already said, it's a matter of health, temperament, and longevity for me. I know some health issues can already be known in an adult dog, but having personally known a GSD that suffered through Degenerative Mylopathy (DM) I really, really want to minimize any health risks that don't crop up until late. It's kind of sad to say, too, but even well bred shepherds don't have fantastic lifespans, let alone the BYB or milled dogs. Investing in a dog that's going to hopefully put in a lifetime of work, I need a younger dog that's still going to have a predictable temperament. Puppies in rescue might have a predisposition to problems down the line that no one is aware of, and an adult would have to have very minimal issues so I wouldn't have to spend so much time "fixing" problems instead of just establishing the behaviors I want to work with. I have very specific needs that are hard to meet- good with young children, good with cats, socially passive without being fearful (i.e. not caring if another dog "puffs up" or is reactive), and female. This is a LOT to ask of a rescue. That said, I still constantly comb Petfinder, and I follow a few GSD rescues on Facebook. I'm totally open to rescue, I'm just not banking on finding a dog that fits my needs.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

I am soooo glad about Saber!!! :dance: I also feel bad that I had NO idea that was you. :downs:

Haha good because I said some super stupid poo poo about wanting a ~guard dog~ when I was first looking into getting a GSD. But yeah, I'm really happy Saber found his home and honestly when we had to cancel the foster to adopt, I had a suspicion his fosters would keep him. His foster mom cried so much when she handed him over to us that she had to leave the room and couldn't watch us take him.

Saber, Duke, and Minka

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I remember feeling bad for him and wishing I could help, I'm really glad everything worked out for him!! He's so handsome. :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
We took Vecna to the park today to tug and pratice finding objects in snow drifts, which he is picking up pretty quickly.

You can see how big he's getting in this picture. My husband's about 6 ft. tall

Air scenting during a search

I'm a wolf, bitch!

And a video of Vecna hunting for a retrieving dummy in a snow bank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK8fg19drWc

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Vecna is so handsome. Will he get more 'male' looking as he gets older? Like, you tend to see most male GSDs having bigger jowls and a broader head than the ladies. Or is he finer because of his breeding?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Vecna is so handsome. Will he get more 'male' looking as he gets older? Like, you tend to see most male GSDs having bigger jowls and a broader head than the ladies. Or is he finer because of his breeding?

He does look pretty feminine right now but he's only a little over 6 months old so I expect that to change as he gets older. His stop is getting more pronounced, his muzzle is starting to broaden up a bit, and he's already quite jowly. He's also developing a roman nose, which is my favorite thing ever in male GSDs. His sire is very masculine looking but right now Vecna seems to be taking more after his dam. I posted some pictures of them earlier in the thread, but here's a pic of both of his parents.
Sire

Dam

This is probably the most masculine looking photo I have of Vecna right now

E: Hurr

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Triangulum posted:

He does look pretty feminine right now but he's only a little over 6 months old so I expect that to change as he gets older. His stop is getting more pronounced, his muzzle is starting to broaden up a bit, and he's already quite jowly. He's also developing a roman nose, which is my favorite thing ever in male GSDs. ...

This is probably the most masculine looking photo I have of Vecna right now

:kimchi: I love roman noses too, makes me wanna rub that nose. Even Vecna's dam looks less feminine compared to a lot of dogs I've seen so you should have a handsome manly man.

• Locked thread