Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
His momma is quite butch, it's true. For now I will keep mocking him by telling him he's effeminate and referring to his harness as "your little dress".

Sorry for all the video spam but nosework is pretty much the poo poo. It's hard to find activities that actually tire him out so nosework's been a godsend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedpIjrPn1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BJMapmwQk

E: Added Front and rear angulation in the working dog to the OP. Definitely worth a read.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Thats great to hear. I am enrolling Shelby in a nosework class that starts in a couple weeks. they say 'reactive' dogs are ok but I still worry a bit :p

Now that I have joined the 21st century by buying my first smart phone I have been using the gps function to record our hikes.

http://goo.gl/maps/1CS3X
http://goo.gl/maps/z3i5h
http://goo.gl/maps/BaStm

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, Wildhaus finally posted about their spring litter, and I have to say, I'm roundabout excited. They bred Eris, who is a much more "serious" dog than their Raven, who is the other breeding female at the moment. This litter is going to be a bunch of super serious, high intensity dogs, which would probably not land me in the running for a puppy. So, the way I look at it, if they're doing this super sports-driven litter right now, then in the fall/winter, they'll probably breed Raven and maybe aim for less super sporty dogs, right? :iamafag: I'm just hope, hope, hoping at this point, we're getting so close! :ohdear: (Well, close if you consider I've been planning on this dog since probably 2008...)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Went target shooting a couple of days ago because I got a new .22. Brought the dags because dogs and guns go hand in hand right??

Sigma goes crazy yelping and barking in excitement when we are about to shoot. We did actually get a squirrel and they ate it so I guess he has reason to be happy about gunshots.

Delta whines, she doesn't bark or yelp. At one point she play-bowed at me when I was lining up to shoot a frozen milk jug :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Went target shooting a couple of days ago because I got a new .22. Brought the dags because dogs and guns go hand in hand right??

Sigma goes crazy yelping and barking in excitement when we are about to shoot. We did actually get a squirrel and they ate it so I guess he has reason to be happy about gunshots.

Delta whines, she doesn't bark or yelp. At one point she play-bowed at me when I was lining up to shoot a frozen milk jug :3:

I tried taking Asa shooting once.
She tried to chase the tin cans I was shooting.
That would not have ended well :P
I want a gundawg :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh God, did anyone see the best of breed winner in Westminister last night? :gonk:

GSD is at 17:40: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/#/Best%20of%20Group/2012/vid:17893560
God that dog's movement is horrible and he has a really weird looking head. Ugh. The breed judging for GSDs isn't up yet but honestly I'm not sure I want to see it...

On the other hand this Sieger moves so beautifully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJPE9oNN7A
Dingo vom Haus Gero

WolfensteinBag posted:

Well, Wildhaus finally posted about their spring litter, and I have to say, I'm roundabout excited. They bred Eris, who is a much more "serious" dog than their Raven, who is the other breeding female at the moment. This litter is going to be a bunch of super serious, high intensity dogs, which would probably not land me in the running for a puppy. So, the way I look at it, if they're doing this super sports-driven litter right now, then in the fall/winter, they'll probably breed Raven and maybe aim for less super sporty dogs, right? :iamafag: I'm just hope, hope, hoping at this point, we're getting so close! :ohdear: (Well, close if you consider I've been planning on this dog since probably 2008...)

Dude that's awesome :3: Hopefully there will be a little Wildhaus pup in your near(ish) future.

E: The sun was out for the first time in who knows how long so I took some pics at the park
Vecna seemed to enjoy the makeshift spring pole

Flirt pole: still awesome

He's really into fetching tree branches now

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 12, 2013

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
4 mile hike today. Forgot to gps the last one, but thats ok because it was exactly the same as an earlier one.

http://goo.gl/maps/RJXAB

It looks like it takes atleast 4 miles to get her to nap in the car on the way home.

Tomorrow night is our first nosework class! I can't wait but also kinda worried Shelby will make an obnoxious rear end off herself and I. She is good in crates when its an expected part of her daily routine, but when its unexpected it can sometimes sound like a pack of hyenas are mauling each other, especially when she is excited. She isn't completely flipping out or anything, she just makes a poo poo load of noise. She picks up on routines pretty quickly, so I'm hoping it won't take long for her to settle into it.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke turns 16 weeks old tomorrow and weighs in at 46 lbs. Losing a lot of his puppy coat. Vacuum the floor one day and the next day it looks like we have puppy hair tumbleweeds. Halfway done with Puppy K and he's excelling at the class. I need to video his down because he throws himself violently down when training the "down" command and its kinda funny.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
First class went pretty well. Shelby went 3 times, each time was noticably better. First time she tried to eat the instructor, had to really coax her to eat anything, let alone sniff around to find it in a box. 2nd time she was markedly less anxious about the instructor, still weary though, only had a little trouble finding the treats. 3rd time was even less of a fuss.

She was also pretty darn quiet in the crate, I was totally surprised.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ShadowStalker posted:

I need to video his down because he throws himself violently down when training the "down" command and its kinda funny.

That sounds insanely cute, you definitely need a video of it. :3:

Stregone posted:

First class went pretty well. Shelby went 3 times, each time was noticably better. First time she tried to eat the instructor, had to really coax her to eat anything, let alone sniff around to find it in a box. 2nd time she was markedly less anxious about the instructor, still weary though, only had a little trouble finding the treats. 3rd time was even less of a fuss.

She was also pretty darn quiet in the crate, I was totally surprised.

Think there's something else she might eat easier while out like that? I have the same problem if I ever want to do training with Buddy (husky) on walks because if it were up to him, walking and sniffing and pulling and being an rear end would be much more rewarding than any food, unless it's something crazy good. Sounds like as she learns the game, though, the fun of Finding A Thing will become more of a reward. I love hearing about Nosework, I can not wait to get involved with it in the future!

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Think there's something else she might eat easier while out like that? I have the same problem if I ever want to do training with Buddy (husky) on walks because if it were up to him, walking and sniffing and pulling and being an rear end would be much more rewarding than any food, unless it's something crazy good. Sounds like as she learns the game, though, the fun of Finding A Thing will become more of a reward. I love hearing about Nosework, I can not wait to get involved with it in the future!

She is very very food motivated, it just pushed her waaay past threshold being in a completely unknown environment with an unknown person right there, plus the other dog owners at the other end of the room watching, and other dogs barking (but out of sight) in their crates. Plus Shelby's problems were all set off when she was attacked by a dog at a dog daycare, and even I could sense that familiar odor when I walked in the door.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Would you mind doing a brief rundown of your nosework classes and what the training is like at some point? I've been thinking about taking some nosework classes but am fairly worried it will gently caress up Vecna's ability to do Schutzhund tracking correctly. Do they allow or encourage airscenting in nosework classes?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Would you mind doing a brief rundown of your nosework classes and what the training is like at some point? I've been thinking about taking some nosework classes but am fairly worried it will gently caress up Vecna's ability to do Schutzhund tracking correctly. Do they allow or encourage airscenting in nosework classes?

Sure. It seems to very hands off, atleast in the beginning. You are letting your dog learn by just being left to do its thing, and maybe giving a little encouragement/help to get the dog to work through any problems it has (like not wanting to put its head in a box, learning that it is no longer a Bad Thing to sniff around and use its nose, trying to kill the instructor, etc.) For the last round of the day she was talking about how she was making it a little more difficult by mostly covering the box with the treats with another box, so that the scent would be mostly trapped and harder to find.

I'll keep you guys updated :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I was going to take a nosework class with Shadow that started today, but ultimately I couldn't afford it, even with my employee discount. :( Oh well, in the meantime I enjoy hearing about everyone else's nosework stories.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Skizzles posted:

I was going to take a nosework class with Shadow that started today, but ultimately I couldn't afford it, even with my employee discount. :( Oh well, in the meantime I enjoy hearing about everyone else's nosework stories.

That's a huge bummer but you probably wouldn't have much problem teaching him yourself. Tracking doesn't take much if anything in the way of equipement and it's really, really fun even if you don't have much idea what the hell you're doing (like me! :buddy:)

Stregone posted:

Sure. It seems to very hands off, atleast in the beginning. You are letting your dog learn by just being left to do its thing, and maybe giving a little encouragement/help to get the dog to work through any problems it has (like not wanting to put its head in a box, learning that it is no longer a Bad Thing to sniff around and use its nose, trying to kill the instructor, etc.) For the last round of the day she was talking about how she was making it a little more difficult by mostly covering the box with the treats with another box, so that the scent would be mostly trapped and harder to find.

I'll keep you guys updated :)

yay Shelby :3: Is the class based around scent discrimination or trailing or what? What styles of scenting are allowed (air, ground)? Also you should get someone to take pictures hinthint

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I just finished watching Andrew Ramsey's nosework DVD and it seems very doable for amateurs teaching themselves with just a little equipment. I really like his method and I've heard that he is helping AKC and UKC to develop nosework trials/titles. There are no nosework classes that are aimed towards trialing at all in my region but I'm hoping when its picked up by other places that will change.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I think my (parents') dog Barkley would love nose work! His mom was a GSD, and it looks like she got knocked up by a kelpie mix before being dropped off at the animal shelter. He's pretty low energy but real sharp and eager to please. Unfortunately, searching for 'nose work West Palm Beach' just brings up a bunch of rhinoplasty, because that's what you do in South Florida.

One time I lost my keys in the back yard and he found them for me.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Sutureself posted:

I think my (parents') dog Barkley would love nose work! His mom was a GSD, and it looks like she got knocked up by a kelpie mix before being dropped off at the animal shelter. He's pretty low energy but real sharp and eager to please. Unfortunately, searching for 'nose work West Palm Beach' just brings up a bunch of rhinoplasty, because that's what you do in South Florida.

One time I lost my keys in the back yard and he found them for me.

http://www.k9nosework.com/

If you're looking at the actual sport of K9 Nosework, you can find certified instructors here. :)

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

Gorgeous Animals. I think most German Shepherds I know though are a bit unruly though, they are very mouthy. Love to bite and gnaw instead of sniff or lick...if that makes any sense? It gets fustrating.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Did a practice session with Shelby today. Did some experimenting and found swiss cheese to work the best. We were setting up in one room at the end of the hallway from her crate, and she would charge down the hallway into the room and start searching. Then we hid some in the short hallway and room off of the main hallway, expanding the search area. She charged down the hallway past the new stuff and her nose caught the scent and did a u-turn before the rest of her body could and she almost fell over, i'm surprised she didn't give herself whiplash, lol.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Vanessie posted:

Gorgeous Animals. I think most German Shepherds I know though are a bit unruly though, they are very mouthy. Love to bite and gnaw instead of sniff or lick...if that makes any sense? It gets fustrating.

The mouthiness is normal for the breed but you can train them to be gentle or lick pretty easily, though it definitely takes time. I let mine mouth me as long as he doesn't put any pressure down but I can see how other people might find that irritating. And well... Any underexercised or undertrained dog is going to be unruly, especially with high energy breeds like GSDs

In other news, Vecna made it to San Diego with no problems, handled the flight like a trooper, and charmed the pants off of a bunch of TSA agents :3: he is so happy in the new house and LOVES having a backyard and a dog park nearby. He's having a bit of trouble with the heat though, he gets tired really easily and we have to make sure to bring tons of water for him when we go exploring. He's the happiest I've ever seen him :3:
http://instagr.am/p/WFesfNDQC-
seeing the ocean for the first time

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Good job, Vecna. :3: Glad the move went well.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh man, you guys. We went to the big, annual IKC dog show in Chicago today, and I saw SO many GSDs! I have such horrible puppy fever, now!! We got to see the GSDs showing, but we saw some awesome working line dogs, too. The temperaments were night and day. The show dogs were all kinda high strung (and had a hard time with their wobbly rears :( ), but the working dogs were all completely rock solid. They were super happy to meet everyone, and they could give a poo poo about all the chaos. I even mentioned to one SAR handler that a GSD was going to be our next dog, and he just raved about how great they are with families when he saw our son in his stroller. :3: I SERIOUSLY CAN'T WAIT YOU GUYS.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Normally I don't post anywhere but the yappy rat dog thread, because I have yappy rats.

But I thought I'd share this picture of my son's GSD. My son is a firefighter/paramedic in California and he got the dog to help protect his family (wife and 4 kids) when he's on those long shifts. Brutus is an absolute sweetheart, very well trained, and when my son isn't home it's really funny and very endearing to watch him running the perimeter, guarding the house and its inhabitants. He has protected my granddaughters on more than one occasion. One time he stood between them and a poisonous snake, barking furiously and keeping it at bay, while my DIL called the fire department and they came out en masse to take care of it (the firefighters take very good care of the families when one of their own is on shift) Another time he went after a coyote that was trying to sneak into the yard when the youngest one was on the swing, and Mama had stepped inside for a minute to get a drink. (They live in the hills)

May I present Brutus. That peanut butter jar? He found it like that, almost empty, and he was just ... uh .... verifying that its contents weren't poisonous. Yeah. :3:

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby did great at class last night. Just a little grumbling at the instructor. She even willingly walked within a few feet of her with nothing more than a quick glance in the instructors direction. Also her practice over the weekend paid off. Shelby was the only dog who wasn't thrown for a loop when the scent was placed on a chair. We had her climbing all over the couch and chairs and random poo poo to get to it during practice. its funny when she locks into the scent, she won't let anything get in her way. She was forcing herself through tiny gaps in the couches and stuff instead of walking around. Though we didn't have much room to really spread things out, so when one of the scents was waaaay over in the corner that has never paid out before it took her a bit to wander over there.

I am really enjoying this and Shelby definitely has fun with it, even at this basic level.

Stregone fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 2, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That's so awesome that Shelby's enjoying nosework so much :3: You should try and take a video of her finding a thing!

Vecna's leg is finally better so after work today we all headed to the local dog beach. I thought we'd have to teach him to like the ocean but nope, it's pretty much the best thing ever as far as Vecna's concerned.

Wave noooooooo

Vecna really, really likes lady shepherds

A cute little Czech dog we met

He's been doing great with his recalls

drat it's good to be home.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

He's so cute!!! :3: Also, I'm kinda jealous you have weather nice enough for the beach. :argh: I really hope my next dog loves the water, Buddy thinks it's going to melt him.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm super happy he loves the water and we're finally somewhere sunny and warm, it's a lot more fun taking him to the beach than to a mud and slush filled park. I really love that beach too, I used to take my dog there a lot when I was a kid. It's a really good place to let your dog socialize with others while being big enough to get some space between your dog and everyone else, which is nice because Vecna is really pissy about his toys.

Vecna will be 8 months old next week :toot: Can't believe I've had him for half a year and what a big boy he is. The vet says he weighs 73 lbs now and could still use to put on some weight. He's so skinny and gangly but eats like a loving horse. We have our training consultation next weekend too at this place, which I'm really excited about.

E: Found some nice images of correct and incorrect structure while re-reading The German Shepherd in Word and Picture today:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 8, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Edit ^^^ Thanks for that! Sigma's front paws turn out like #2, and you can see in my picture below his tail isn't ideal. And his ears are too wideset, and one is only half erect. Delta? Flawless :smugdog: No really, I can't see flaws but she's my favourite so I'm just a little biased :)

Dogs packin' stuff

They were soooo tiiiiired after that hike. The snow was deeper than their bellies, and of course they have to dolphin-jump around instead of following behind our snowshoe path. I highly recommend the Ruffwear Approach packs.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 12, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
They look like happy dogs :3: That dolphin hop is one of my favorite things ever.

dog + jolly egg + water: a recipe for success

Victory!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:stare: I thought they weren't supposed to be able to pick those up??

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
He figured out that if he wedges the egg against something and holds onto it with his feet, it'll stay still long enough to pick up. The plastic isn't the toughest so he was able to bite it hard enough to dig his teeth in.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I got a Jolly Egg a week ago :) It has a few punctures but neither dog has picked it up yet. Sigma is determined he will. Delta growls and talks at it when its her turn :3: I can't wait for summer, they can't get any speed up with the egg in all this snow.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Today after nosework class the instructor was able to get Shelby to follow commands from the other side of the fence. Shelby is so freaking weird. She would be lunging at the instructor one second, and then she stops and follows a command from her to sit or lay down(and its a super clean and straight no hesitating or whining sit/down too!). The instructor even held her hand up to the fence and got Shelby to give her a hi-five. She would also be all scary barking at her one second, and then very gently taking treats (through the fence) from her hand the next second. Like actualy touching her hand with her teeth taking treats, not just poking a long puperoni stick through the opening.

As far as nosework goes she reversed the way she usualy does things. First run was perfect. No getting distracted, just bam bam bam went right for it and got all 3 in the time it took to walk between them. Next two runs she remembered there were people there and kept getting distracted barking at them. She still goes back to work, but she doesn't immediately go back into a really focused working mode until she burns off some anxiety. Also today was the first day Shelby was off leash, the instructor stayed on the other side, the extra freedom probably mixed thign sup as well.

Next class is the last class, and she said Shelby should go right up to the nosework 2 class instead of repeating nosework 1. In the beginning she said Shelby might need to do it a few times to get over her issues, but Shelby is doing very well despite them. She said her goal with shelby is to be able to be in the fenced area with her off leash by the end of the nosework 2 class.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's awesome, great job, you two! It's great to see such a fun activity help with reactivity. Good luck in your next class!

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Sweng by the vet to pick up some heartworm medicine for our other dog. Duke turns 5 months old tomorrow and already weighs in at 66lbs. Defintely going to break 100lbs full grown. He likes to sit on the couch and stare at you when you are in the kitchen, like the velociraptor from Jurrasic Park. Clever Boy! I'll have to get a pic of it tommorrow. He's still full of crazy puppy energy but late at night likes to chill on the sofa with one of us.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I'm kinda bummed. Last night was the last class for nosework 1, and the instructor backpedaled a bit from what she said last week. She said it might be a good idea for Shelby to repeat nosework 1 to work on her reactivity, because in nosework 2 we will be working in the hallways and kitchen in the dog daycare, where she will be in much closer quarters. She said she would work around it if I wanted to go ahead with nosework 2 but it might impact shelby getting the most out of it, and said it was up to me. What do you guys think?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

"One Female Puppy Available"

Why don't I just have a spare $1500 lying around? :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Man I don't know what to do about Schutzhund. Right now I'm holding off on joining a club until Vecna finishes his private classes because I want him to learn how to relax and self soothe before we get serious about doing sports. But we have gone and checked out most of the local clubs and I am having a hard time figuring out which to join. One club is really close to me (we could walk if we wanted) and is all +R based but less focused on teaching new handlers and seems really cliquey. The club director also completely ignored me and directed all questions towards my husband, which pissed me off. The other club uses corrections but owns their own tracking field, is heavily teaching focused, runs the SV breed survey here, and seems a lot more serious but is over an hour away.

There seems to be a lot of drama between all the clubs too :sigh:

ShadowStalker posted:

Sweng by the vet to pick up some heartworm medicine for our other dog. Duke turns 5 months old tomorrow and already weighs in at 66lbs. Defintely going to break 100lbs full grown. He likes to sit on the couch and stare at you when you are in the kitchen, like the velociraptor from Jurrasic Park. Clever Boy! I'll have to get a pic of it tommorrow. He's still full of crazy puppy energy but late at night likes to chill on the sofa with one of us.

Happy kind of birthday Duke and welcome to the giant-rear end puppy club. Out of curiosity, do you know how tall he is? Also please post pics.

Stregone posted:

I'm kinda bummed. Last night was the last class for nosework 1, and the instructor backpedaled a bit from what she said last week. She said it might be a good idea for Shelby to repeat nosework 1 to work on her reactivity, because in nosework 2 we will be working in the hallways and kitchen in the dog daycare, where she will be in much closer quarters. She said she would work around it if I wanted to go ahead with nosework 2 but it might impact shelby getting the most out of it, and said it was up to me. What do you guys think?

Is there any way you can try out the Nosework 2 class and if it doesn't work for her, move back to 1? Since you've done the first class before the two of you wouldn't really be missing anything. And hey, maybe Shelby will surprise you again. It seems like she did a lot better in Nosework 1 than expected :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Triangulum posted:

Man I don't know what to do about Schutzhund. Right now I'm holding off on joining a club until Vecna finishes his private classes because I want him to learn how to relax and self soothe before we get serious about doing sports. But we have gone and checked out most of the local clubs and I am having a hard time figuring out which to join. One club is really close to me (we could walk if we wanted) and is all +R based but less focused on teaching new handlers and seems really cliquey. The club director also completely ignored me and directed all questions towards my husband, which pissed me off. The other club uses corrections but owns their own tracking field, is heavily teaching focused, runs the SV breed survey here, and seems a lot more serious but is over an hour away.

There seems to be a lot of drama between all the clubs too :sigh:

But if you go with the latter club, will you use the corrections? That is something I would personally not be willing to do to my dog, especially if he has issues self-soothing and I have to drive a loving hour to do it.

I know there's still some debate on whether using +R in Sch gets you the same intensity and focus from the dog as corrections do, but meh.
[/quote]

• Locked thread