Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I honestly don't have a problem with prong collars but I don't really think I'd be super comfortable giving corrections, no. They don't really advocate corrections on puppies and green dogs because it fucks up their drive and enthusiasm but still.

Training with the +R club honestly seems pointless though. It seems more like a group that shares equipment more than anything else.

Maybe I should just bail on Schutzhund for now and do something else :sigh:. I have been tempted to try out agility.

E; New page, have pics
This is Vecna's new favorite place

He finally grew into the collar I bought for Saber

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Triangulum posted:

Man I don't know what to do about Schutzhund. Right now I'm holding off on joining a club until Vecna finishes his private classes because I want him to learn how to relax and self soothe before we get serious about doing sports. But we have gone and checked out most of the local clubs and I am having a hard time figuring out which to join. One club is really close to me (we could walk if we wanted) and is all +R based but less focused on teaching new handlers and seems really cliquey. The club director also completely ignored me and directed all questions towards my husband, which pissed me off. The other club uses corrections but owns their own tracking field, is heavily teaching focused, runs the SV breed survey here, and seems a lot more serious but is over an hour away.

There seems to be a lot of drama between all the clubs too :sigh:

Happy kind of birthday Duke and welcome to the giant-rear end puppy club. Out of curiosity, do you know how tall he is? Also please post pics.

Is there any way you can try out the Nosework 2 class and if it doesn't work for her, move back to 1? Since you've done the first class before the two of you wouldn't really be missing anything. And hey, maybe Shelby will surprise you again. It seems like she did a lot better in Nosework 1 than expected :)

Not that this has anything to do with the classes and Venca, per se, but I wouldn't want to work with someone who was unwilling to directly address me. Its the year 2013, for Christ's sake.

If neither of them are quite what you want, why not try Treibball (which Venca might really enjoy) or agility?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'd probably drive the hour, if these people really seemed to know what they're talking about. No one is going to force you to "correct" your dog if you don't want to and I'm sure there's plenty more to be learned there. Plus, corrections shouldn't come until a dog is well versed in an exercise, so it'd probably give you a good long while before you have to decide whether you want to use them.

Agility is also awesome. IPO is so danged demanding.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

wtftastic posted:

Not that this has anything to do with the classes and Venca, per se, but I wouldn't want to work with someone who was unwilling to directly address me. Its the year 2013, for Christ's sake.

Holy poo poo, I got so mad reading about how they spoke to your husband and not you, Triangulum :argh: I wouldn't choose that club either, because I hold a mean grudge.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well for what it's worth I wouldn't have chosen them either based on that; it's pretty dickish. Maybe see if you can do the hour-away club and try it without the corrections. I dunno. Agility would also be cool.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

I'd probably drive the hour, if these people really seemed to know what they're talking about. No one is going to force you to "correct" your dog if you don't want to and I'm sure there's plenty more to be learned there. Plus, corrections shouldn't come until a dog is well versed in an exercise, so it'd probably give you a good long while before you have to decide whether you want to use them.

Agility is also awesome. IPO is so danged demanding.

I was seriously going to say exactly this. Especially if they don't use corrections on younger dogs, it sounds like they know what they're doing. You can always use the club to get down the basics and either work with them and ALL learn more R+ methods, or at THAT point switch to the other club.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Happy kind of birthday Duke and welcome to the giant-rear end puppy club. Out of curiosity, do you know how tall he is? Also please post pics.

I'm out of town tonight, I'll try to grab some tomorrow and measure how tall he is; that won't be an easy task. He's either running around being crazy or sitting looking at you like "Where's my treat, I'm sitting"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I read this entire thread a few weeks ago, now I'm finally qualified to post here!

We picked up 8-week old Logan from the breeder yesterday, then started the 9-ish hour drive home. He only cried for about 15 minutes in the car, then took a nap. He was all kinds of cuddly, and completely settled in within a couple of hours. He figured out that he likes the vents blowing on him and hogged all my AC while I was driving. He also made friends with a lab in Vail and started howling in the backseat when he got lonely. We got home around 10 pm, played in the backyard even though it was dark, and he figured out how to use the four stairs to the backdoor almost immediately...going down at less than full speed took a couple of failures to figure out though. He even started eating last night. :3:

This morning we played for almost an hour straight after he entertained himself in the crate for a while. He started falling asleep in my lap, so I walked over and sat next to his crate...he went inside on his own, chewed his toy for a minute, then moved to the corner and fell asleep.

Chilling in the backseat for a bit on the drive home.

Waiting for new mom to back from inside the store with more water.

This morning after playing for like 45 minutes straight.

Three minutes later.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats on your baby landshark! Post lots of pictures unless you want him to die from PES and remember: the jumping up and biting your arms is normal and it doesn't mean he's aggressive.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I was trying to take etsy pictures today and Mo was helping. I MAY be biased but I think he turned into a pretty nice looking GSD :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's not biased if it's true :colbert: Looking at that picture makes me wonder if Mo's got some West German show line in him. He's got the deep red coat, bear face, stocky build, and (slightly) roached back that's common in those lines.

This is my Schutzhund trainer and his West German IPO 3 dog, who's got a similar build to MoMo:

He's more bearfaced and stockier than Mo though

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 12, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

He looks lovely! Gotta love that robust muzzle and rich colouring.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

It's not biased if it's true :colbert: Looking at that picture makes me wonder if Mo's got some West German show line in him. He's got the deep red coat, bear face, stocky build, and (slightly) roached back that's common in those lines.

This is my Schutzhund trainer and his West German IPO 3 dog, who's got a similar build to MoMo:

He's more bearfaced and stockier than Mo though

That is a good looking dog :3: How old is he do you know? I assume Mo will fill out a bit although who knows. Maggie is pretty lanky!

I would love to do shutzhund or agility or something with Moses, he's so athletic. We actually have an appointment next week with one of the K9 handlers on base who does obedience, I am secretly hoping he will let us take Mo through the course they use

adventure in the sandbox posted:

He looks lovely! Gotta love that robust muzzle and rich colouring.

Thank you :) He's watching tv on the laptop in that picture the big doofus.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I believe that dog is 8 or 9. He's mostly retired from IPO 'cause he's an old man :3: Have you thought about looking for a Schutzhund club in your area? Any decent one should be willing to test out whether MoMo's suitable.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Sleepy Shelby

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Triangulum posted:

Congrats on your baby landshark! Post lots of pictures unless you want him to die from PES and remember: the jumping up and biting your arms is normal and it doesn't mean he's aggressive.

Today was day one of schutzhund. He started picking things up on obedience immediately, loved meeting new people, made friends with a 5-month old GSD, and got to take a shot at chasing a stuffed animal on a bungee cord.

I had to roll up the window because he was trying to climb out to go again.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's fantastic that you're getting him started in Schutzhund so early. Were his parents Schutzhund dogs?

Vecna is 9 months old today and weighs 83 lbs now. I know the "teenager" months are supposed to be a nightmare but holy poo poo he is so much more enjoyable and easy to deal with now.

I don't think I'll ever own another breed.

E: Would there be any interest in some more effort posts? I'm thinking of doing some write ups on Schutzhund, the SV breed survey, and tending some time this week.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 15, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

His dad has his Sch3, and there are a bunch of 2s and 3s in his pedigree. Mom is pretty much the only dog going back like 5 generations that isn't titled.

I'm definitely interested in an effortpost.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
The sun finally came out after 8 months of winter!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

:stare: What happened to the rest of the dog?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I love his white little beard, he looks like such a dignified man :3:

I found Vecna's female clone

I've seen so many DDR dogs who look like this that I'm starting to wonder if Vecna has some in him

E: What do you guys think of this breeder http://www.gildafk9.com/index.html

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 21, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke's new Jolly Pet Push-N-Play 14 inch ball arrived today and he went crazy with it. He kept us laughing for a good 30 minutes before I grabbed the camera and captured a video.

Got him the Jolly Pet 10 inch teaser ball last week and he carried it around all day but wasn't making all kinds of noise like with the new ball. I think it's because he can't pick this one up completely.

Just hit the 6 month mark, around 22 inches tall, and around 70lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNl2OeIUpU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

E: What do you guys think of this breeder http://www.gildafk9.com/index.html

This was actually one of the breeders I was looking in to! :haw: I still really love their dogs, but they seem to have SUCH an emphasis on actual WORKING dogs for police and SAR that one, I don't know how much they would want to give a puppy to a family, and two, they might just plain be too intense for what I'm looking for. But I love their dogs, and I love their health testing. :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Haha why am I not surprised you were looking at them, we seem to like similar types of Shepherds :haw: I know some people on the Working Dog forums have gotten pups from them for sports so I know they do place pups with families but yeah intensity could definitely be an issue. I know you've mentioned this before but my memory is poo poo, but what are your plans for your future GSD? I know you wanted to use it as a demo dog, do you have sport plans for it as well?

ShadowStalker posted:

Duke's new Jolly Pet Push-N-Play 14 inch ball arrived today and he went crazy with it. He kept us laughing for a good 30 minutes before I grabbed the camera and captured a video.

Got him the Jolly Pet 10 inch teaser ball last week and he carried it around all day but wasn't making all kinds of noise like with the new ball. I think it's because he can't pick this one up completely.

Just hit the 6 month mark, around 22 inches tall, and around 70lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNl2OeIUpU

Let us know how that toy holds up if you don't mind. I was thinking of replacing Vecna's egg with that ball once it's finally broken.

I love watching this dog work a sleeve but man he's a loving weird looking dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps_ddqj9zuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6laaB5n9MY

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:stare: I can't tell if he's fat, or just has a huge body with stick legs and a pin head.

Aside from being a demo dog, I'd like to get involved with nosework and maybe competitive obedience. Temperament for our house is most crucial, though. Great with dogs, great with kids, and prey drive that can be managed since we have a cat. Not TOO worried about that, though, because we've done great teaching our husky to reign it in. At any rate, I know the drive they breed for with working K9s is really high, and I'd have more lunch with a breeder aiming for a more stable temperament.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Any thoughts on this breeder? I like to daydream about future GSDs. :allears:

http://www.vanmeerhoutshepherds.com/index.html

edit: that link was there all along :blush:

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 24, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Let us know how that toy holds up if you don't mind. I was thinking of replacing Vecna's egg with that ball once it's finally broken.

It should hold up pretty good, but I'll let you know. It's just too large for any shepherd to really bite on. There's one little spot where there's a recessed plug that a dog could start chewing and eventually create a hole in the ball.

This is his 3rd new Jolly Pet toy in 2 weeks.

1st was a Jolly 8 inch Romp and roll ball. The whole toy lasted about 2 days before the rope was torn up enough that we cut it off for fear of Duke eating some of it. The ball portion is still in good shape and he plays with it inside

2nd was a Jolly Pet 10inch teaser ball. Duke like to pick it up and carry it around. The holes give him a place to chew, but that could also lead to issues. Some of the reviews say that the edges can get sharp from chewing. He ignores the ball on the inside and just likes to run around with it.

Last was the 14 inch push-n-play. I think this one will be the sturdiest and last the longest.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Crooked Booty posted:

I think you forgot a link. ;)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I had the dogs out with the Jolly Egg today. They pin it down and try to bite it, so I go over and knock it away with my foot so they can actually chase it for 2 seconds.

Delta chomped on the top of my foot :saddowns: She seemed surprised that the egg got kind of soft-ish. My foot really hurts, I hope she didn't crack anything. Protip: Don't put your foot near the toy of an excited dog that has been bred to bite things including people!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Crooked Booty posted:

http://www.vanmeerhoutshepherds.com/index.html

edit: that link was there all along :blush:

Oh hey one of the kennels I've been looking at. My only major beef with Van Meerhout is that they don't test for DM. But there are some impressive dogs in their pedigree, they extensively title their dogs, most of the dogs are KKL1s, and Rob and Jessy are ridiculously talented handlers. One thing to be aware of though: when they say "no deposit refunds", they mean it much more than other kennels do. If a pup with the temperament you want doesn't drop, your deposit will get pushed back to the next litter even if that means you have to wait 5 or 6 litters.

Also Fratz vom Kleinen Schutz is literally the best name for a gsd ever :kimchi:

We found a nice little hiking area five minutes from the house

Happy puppy

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 25, 2013

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Triangulum posted:

Oh hey one of the kennels I've been looking at.
Oh awesome. I met a few of their dogs years ago and have wanted one since. :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Triangulum posted:

Oh hey one of the kennels I've been looking at. My only major beef with Van Meerhout is that they don't test for DM. But there are some impressive dogs in their pedigree, they extensively title their dogs, most of the dogs are KKL1s, and Rob and Jessy are ridiculously talented handlers.

If this is really important to you by all means don't let me sway you, but I honestly don't feel like the DM genetic test is all that useful for breeders except maybe for record keeping purposes. I certainly wouldn't use it to make breeding decisions unless it was between two absolutely identical in every other way dogs and one was a carrier and one wasn't. And we all know that's not terribly realistic. The mutation has a high enough frequency in the breed that I think trying to breed it out might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater so to speak, and even more importantly even homozygotes are not necessarily going to develop DM, just have an increased risk. I see the test as far more useful for veterinarians in supporting a diagnosis of DM in a dog showing signs.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby was doing soooo well at class last night. Then at the end she just had to reign in our optimism by biting the instructor. She only got the pocket flap of the instructor's cargo pants, but still, drat dog.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Too funny! I thought they looked familiar, Wildhaus used one of their studs for their current litter. :haw:
http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

ShadowStalker posted:

Last was the 14 inch push-n-play. I think this one will be the sturdiest and last the longest.

I may have to get one, mine destroys most in a few days.

Also, derp:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I've got some private Schutzhund lessons set up and the trainer sent me some cool videos of him working his dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkgosHzYj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKs9a3gRaEI
I think working with this guy will be a great experience, I'm super excited.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I like what he's doing there. Really good motivational confidence building and some great techniques for building both drive and precision. I think you'll also have a great time.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is really awesome!! You'll have to report back, I'm SUPER interested in positive based SchH training.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I definitely will, we should have our first session sometime this week.

The GSDCA-WDA National Championship and the National Universal Sieger Championship happened this week and determined who'll represent the US at the WUSV World Championship this year. Danger von Juliet was named the Sieger, won the IPO trial, high HOT, and high Protection.

Pictures from the pratice:

Here's a highlight reel: http://vimeo.com/65151073

E: This PDF has a really cool article starting on page 8 about different GSD bloodlines and their variation in type and temperament. Also I am working on those longer posts, I promise.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to do an image dump from this morning's Schutzhund practice.

• Locked thread