Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Venca looks like he had a blast! :3: Was it fun? How'd he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
We both had a really good time but drat I have never been so sore after dog training. I have to be really careful during the rag work or sometimes I get pulled off my feet because Vecna's so loving strong. We're now meeting up friday mornings to do tracking (in really nice conditions) and Saturday mornings to do ob, protection, and a tiny bit of tracking in bad conditions. He had said he thinks that with the right training and work, Vecna could probably trial at a national level, which surprised me. I think it's going to be a really great experience, there are only two of us in the group so we get tons of one on one attention and the trainer's a really nice guy and gave me a ton of awesome advice. He's been encouraging us to make short videos during the week and email them to him so he can see what we're doing at home. It's pretty crazy how much time and effort he's putting into us for basically minimum wage.

We have a shitload of homework to do this week but holy poo poo this stuff is so much fun :neckbeard:

pomme
May 8, 2013
After several months of lurking PI, my puppy gushing level has finally flown off the radar and my SA account has been born. I'm hoping this post goes smoothly without any rookie mistakes but if not, please pardon me. Anyways, I love GSDs and I particularly love the insider's look at the different training levels in this thread.

This is Budworth the Gentleman.

Budworth likes to look into the sun while posing like a noble.

Sometimes he goes crazy over chest rubs.

Budworth's favourite hobbies include being cozy in snow, and licking giant ice cubes.

I have literally hundreds of photos of him, if anyone is interested.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Where is he from? He looks much more slightly built than a traditional GSD. Looks like he could be a killer sporting dog, should you decide to go that way. :3:

pomme
May 8, 2013
I adopted him as a wee 6 month old baby at the SPCA. :3: At that time he put on ten pounds because he was quite starved, and I know the SPCA had been pounding him full of food for 21 days before so I hate to imagine how thin he was then. It just breaks my heart, because he was house trained so I believe he may have been someone's pet, and they just decided to let him go "free" in the middle of a Northern Canadian winter.

Anyways, I am pretty sure he's a GSD crossed with something; I have no clue what so the ongoing joke is corgi x GSD. I don't know much about sporting with dogs but I've always thought he would be good with agility since he is so lean.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like American bred to me but I could be wrong. Honestly though, I don't think he's slightly built for a GSD at all. If you check out older pictures of GSDs, most have a body structure very similar to Budworth. They're supposed to be rather slim and sleek, the trend towards big bearlike dogs is a relatively recent one and working lines tend towards being pretty small (outside of DDR I guess). Large dogs can't do the work required nearly as efficiently as the slighter ones.

And Pomme, we are always interested in pics of handsome GSDs :3:

E: I really doubt he's mixed, he's probably just BYB. Do you know what his height and weight are and do you have a good shot from the side?

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 8, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

E: I really doubt he's mixed, he's probably just BYB. Do you know what his height and weight are and do you have a good shot from the side?
These two shots make him look like he's got a primitive type coat. I've not seen any GSDs with a coat quite like that. That plus the height and length of the legs makes me think that there's some prim in there somewhere.

pomme
May 8, 2013
I love this thread already. I always assumed he was a mutt because I guess I've never known enough about the breed to be able to know that the big, bear-like dog is the trend. He is quite small; most people he meets assume he is a puppy.

I just measured as best as I could and he is about 24" in height and the last time I weighed him he was just over 60 pounds. I just tried my best to get a side view photo of him and I came across as really old side view.

The white strip down his back is after a romp in some spilled flour.

Here is some other photos.

(more of his adventure in baking)

He has a habit of having to eat in the same room that I am sitting in. This is usually what happens when he carries his bowl around. The plastic bags were from my first attempt at teaching him the pull action. They were replaced with rope shortly after this photo.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Hahaha that last picture is the best, I love it when GSDs sealface.

24" is the lower end of the standard for males but it's still within the standard. I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm correct about him being a BYB purebred.

If you have an interest in doing sports with him, you should! It's really rewarding and does great things for your bond with your dog. Plus he'll get all buff :black101:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Sometimes when you ask Moses questions his brain crashes

Who is a good boy MoMo?

.....give me a second I got this

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh MoMo. :3: I actually had a dream the other night that I owned Maggie and MoMo, and I distinctly remember not being able to use the bathroom without them barging (or attempting to barge) in to keep me company.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Skizzles posted:

I distinctly remember not being able to use the bathroom without them barging (or attempting to barge) in to keep me company.

GSD.txt

Vecna was very, very tired after a long day of training :3:

IPO has been so great for him, he usually only wakes up to eat afterwards haha

E: Check out my friend's adorable little assistance and IPO dog:

He's an awesome dog. He has such a sweet personality but turns into a firecracker on the field. I've handled him during protection and he's a blast to work with.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 15, 2013

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Queen Elizatits posted:

Sometimes when you ask Moses questions his brain crashes

Who is a good boy MoMo?

.....give me a second I got this

They're such clever dogs yet do such stupid things.

No Jet, you can't bring the tree along.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Almost every GSD I've ever met is tree fetcher.

I took Vecna to the field to play two ball this morning.

He seems a little out of shape, I think I need to take him swimming more.

pomme
May 8, 2013
He is so handsome! I love his coat.

Unfortunately my dog is not a tree fetcher or toy player. He has one type of toy he likes and that is it. He only plays fetch with that one toy, and only inside the house. He doesn't like balls, rope toys, kongs (unless filled with treats) or anything along those lines. :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That would drive me crazy, I don't know how to interact with non-toy driven dogs at all. You can increase his toy drive and desire to fetch if that's something that matters a lot to you though.

Pups was looking extra handsome to make up for what a little poo poo he was being. His coat is weird right now, he's sprouting white hairs all over his face and sides :confused: You're a little young to be going grey pups.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

pomme posted:

He is so handsome! I love his coat.

Unfortunately my dog is not a tree fetcher or toy player. He has one type of toy he likes and that is it. He only plays fetch with that one toy, and only inside the house. He doesn't like balls, rope toys, kongs (unless filled with treats) or anything along those lines. :(

My dog (not a GSD) is much the same way. I found that occasionally running around the house like a lunatic with other toys and getting my dog riled up helped encourage him to play (when he's in the mood). All he'll fetch with (or play with) outside are sticks.

pomme
May 8, 2013

wtftastic posted:

My dog (not a GSD) is much the same way. I found that occasionally running around the house like a lunatic with other toys and getting my dog riled up helped encourage him to play (when he's in the mood). All he'll fetch with (or play with) outside are sticks.

This puts the funniest picture in my head. That would probably work with my dog as well.

I don't really mind that he isn't toy-driven. He is generally driven to listen in general because he doesn't have a dominating or stubborn personality. When he is being stubborn, he is easily come over with treats or just dog food.

How old is your pup? Budworth started getting white hairs around his jaw at just over a year old. Now he looks like an old man up-close.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Yay, Shelby has graduated to Nosework 2! She repeated Nosework 1 (and a half). She was basically doing nosework 2 (food and odor, instead of just food), but in the nosework 1 setting (a fenced in play area). Nosework 2 goes outside and into the office, kitchen, hallways, etc. of the building.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats Shelby!

Vecna went on his first camping trip

Doing some archeology

He got really, really dusty. Still, it's better than mud.

Good dogs get ice cream

I think he enjoyed himself

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Hey fellow Shep owners I had a concern maybe you guys can help me with.
On my dogs hind legs a few inches above his pads is what feels like callouses one on each leg, is that normal for shepherds?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

My male dog has this too. He runs so hard during fetch he callused up his legs from skidding to a stop. My female does not have these calluses, because she is a bit too self-possessed to skid frantically after a mere ball :)

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Ah thanks that's a relief.
He does the exact same thing he has flipped himself over once going after a kong, came back covered in dust shoving his kong into my hand.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aaaahhh!! Sooooo I've been doing some sleuthing, and it looks like Wildhaus' next litter will probably be with Heidi, whom I absolutely love. :3: They say their next litter will ideally be fall/winter, which would be too soon to breed Eris again. They've also just done a bunch of health testing on Heidi, and have mentioned getting her SchH titled over the summer. They've also updated her info and pictures! UGH, between this and a CsV litter slated for winter that I'm SUPER interested in, I'm REALLY hoping we'll be able to add a puppy here pretty soon... :ohdear:

Here's a new picture of Heidi:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I want a clone of Heidi. She is magnificent!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I know, right?!? And her temperament sounds SPOT ON for what I'm looking for. It's so great to see a dog with drive that can keep a clear head.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Aaaahhh!! Sooooo I've been doing some sleuthing, and it looks like Wildhaus' next litter will probably be with Heidi, whom I absolutely love. :3: They say their next litter will ideally be fall/winter, which would be too soon to breed Eris again. They've also just done a bunch of health testing on Heidi, and have mentioned getting her SchH titled over the summer. They've also updated her info and pictures! UGH, between this and a CsV litter slated for winter that I'm SUPER interested in, I'm REALLY hoping we'll be able to add a puppy here pretty soon... :ohdear:

Here's a new picture of Heidi:

Oh man, I have my fingers crossed for you! I want to live vicariously through your Wildhaus pup :kimchi:

Some shots from Schutzhund yesterday:

[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/RtM2MyO.jpg][/tIMG]

and a video of one bite work session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExBPXpZItk

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, what's it costing you to work Vecna? I hear schutzhund is a really expensive endeavor, and the reason I put it on the back burner is that I'm afraid of the financial commitment.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Right now I'm taking two different classes with the same trainer: a SchH tracking class and a bite work & OB class. Tracking costs $125 for 5 weeks ($25/class), lasts 2.5 hrs, and has four students and he usually throws in some bitework for the GSD people once the non-SchH people leave. Bite work/OB costs $20/class, lasts 2-3 hrs and has anywhere from 1 to 3 students. The classes are technically group classes but all instruction is done individually so it's more like a private class where you get to watch other private classes afterwards. Overall I feel like it's a super reasonable price especially considering he charges about 1/5 what pet dog trainers charge for private classes.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah that's really not bad. That's on par with what I spent on nosework classes when my dogs were doing that and classes were only an hour each.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Having read this thread from start to finish, I'm kinda glad I did (sure, its not that long, but still).

My parents were a touch concerned that their current GSD's fixation, on rubber balls we throw around for him, was a bit excessive. When I play with him, he'll happily chase the ball until he's utterly exhausted - doesn't even care to go for a walk. That said he does understand that when I say stop, he has to stop.

Also good is the toys mentioned, since he utterly destroys anything that isn't sturdily built.

And on that note, have a pic of him lying down next to my parent's golden retriever.

pomme
May 8, 2013
I love your sport photos with Vecna.

"I don't want to bite you!"

I love this face.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

All your dogs are soooo preeetttyyyyy. I'm seriously dog jealous today. :saddowns:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

pomme posted:

I love your sport photos with Vecna.

Thank you! One of the women I train with sent me a video of Vecna doing bite work on friday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2QE_AB_4k

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Right now I'm taking two different classes with the same trainer: a SchH tracking class and a bite work & OB class. Tracking costs $125 for 5 weeks ($25/class), lasts 2.5 hrs, and has four students and he usually throws in some bitework for the GSD people once the non-SchH people leave. Bite work/OB costs $20/class, lasts 2-3 hrs and has anywhere from 1 to 3 students. The classes are technically group classes but all instruction is done individually so it's more like a private class where you get to watch other private classes afterwards. Overall I feel like it's a super reasonable price especially considering he charges about 1/5 what pet dog trainers charge for private classes.

Going back to this, if I'm reading it right... That would be $45 a week, and the 3 parts are spread over 2 classes/sessions? That does sound cheaper than here, from what I can gather. The one place here breaks it down to the 3 parts every week, $30 for the first, $20 for the second, and $10 for the third, and it's drop in, pay as you go classes, so the most you pay a week is $60 for all three parts.

The other place (which I kinda like better) is $15 for obedience only, $35 for obedience and protection, but I'm not sure how they work in tracking. Since I've been looking in to prices for training in terms of per-week lately, all of this really doesn't sound as "bad" as I'd previously thought. I might still only work on obedience and tracking, but I don't think bitework is as much out of the question as I thought. The only thing is I want to be REALLY sure I'm going to stick with it before I do anything related to bitework, because I really, really don't want a half trained dog that is used to Biting a Thing that all of a sudden doesn't get to go out and do that anymore! But you're making it look sooooo fuuuunnnn.......

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Going back to this, if I'm reading it right... That would be $45 a week, and the 3 parts are spread over 2 classes/sessions? That does sound cheaper than here, from what I can gather. The one place here breaks it down to the 3 parts every week, $30 for the first, $20 for the second, and $10 for the third, and it's drop in, pay as you go classes, so the most you pay a week is $60 for all three parts.

The other place (which I kinda like better) is $15 for obedience only, $35 for obedience and protection, but I'm not sure how they work in tracking. Since I've been looking in to prices for training in terms of per-week lately, all of this really doesn't sound as "bad" as I'd previously thought. I might still only work on obedience and tracking, but I don't think bitework is as much out of the question as I thought. The only thing is I want to be REALLY sure I'm going to stick with it before I do anything related to bitework, because I really, really don't want a half trained dog that is used to Biting a Thing that all of a sudden doesn't get to go out and do that anymore! But you're making it look sooooo fuuuunnnn.......

Yep, $45 a week over two classes. If you can swing it and there is a good club or trainer in your area, you should totally go for it. Just make sure your decoy is really, really good if you're going to do bite work. I'm training with a dog who was drat near ruined by another decoy and it's sad to see how her confidence has been destroyed (she's making a lot of progress now though!). Also if you're interested in the tracking phase, definitely try to find someone to work with you even though you technically can do it alone.

We don't have Schutzhund for the next 6 weeks :( My trainer's going to chicken camp and to train with Mario Verslype (!!!!!), which is loving awesome but I'm sad for me and puppy. Schutzhund has hands down been the best part of our week. My trainer got me signed up for an engagement and motivation for sport dogs class though, which should be a ton of fun.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

UGH my phone ate my reply. :argh:

Anyway, one of the big reasons I like the one club is the experience of the people and handlers. The other club is more like a small group just interested in the sport that train every week, this group is an actual GSD club. They're also big on making training a positive experience. One thing I don't like is they allow pinch collars for their obedience class, but you can't win them all. Here's their website, if you're curious:
http://www.toplinegsdc.com/

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 31, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah honestly you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a SchH ground that doesn't allow correction collars. My trainer doesn't but he's kind of a unicorn. Are you gonna do tracking and OB with Buddy or are you planning ahead for futurepup?

The real solution is moving to CA and training with us :colbert:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Haha My husband would totally move there, if it weren't so ridiculously expensive.

We're looking for future dog. Bud could give a poo poo about training, his favorite thing in the world is walking straight down a path as fast as we'll let him (huskies lol). It's really easy to accommodate, but it's a bit boring. I do want to eventually take a CGC class with him, and maybe do nosework just for fun, but he gets bored SO FAST. That's something I'm really wanting a new dog for, to do more fun activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Just dropped Duke off at the Vet this morning to neutered. And I lost the bet with my wife and now have to do the laundry for the next month. The bet was for how much he weighed. She went with 85lbs, I did the price is right technique and chose 84lbs. Duke weighed in this morning at 93 pounds and just turned 8 months today. He's going to be a Tank when full grown.

The wife and I have been talking and it looks like we will be getting him enrolled in some Schutzhund classes. Anybody have any experience with the Schutzhund clubs in Jacksonville FL? (Probably not but it's worth a shot)

• Locked thread