Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Alice is rather skeptical of this thread.

And Shelby is...well, distracted by a shiny ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Please tell me that's the only face Alice makes. She looks like the most judgemental dog in the universe :3: Is Shelby a mix? His face almost looks like a Mal rather than a GSD. He's cute as poo poo either way.

Alice makes all sorts of faces.

Alice by Michael Appleman, on Flickr

We're pretty sure Shelby is a GSD/Mal mix. She was a stray puppy so we are not sure. She started off almost completely black, and looked alot like your usual black and tan/red GSD puppy as she got older. Once she matured she turned out to be a very light red sable. She's right around 60 pounds. Alice is about 45, and a huge lap dog.

Some pics from our hike yesterday.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby, when excited makes a high pitch yipping, yapping, whining hyena sound. Petite little Alice has has a deep guttural bark of a dog 10 times her size.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Thats great to hear. I am enrolling Shelby in a nosework class that starts in a couple weeks. they say 'reactive' dogs are ok but I still worry a bit :p

Now that I have joined the 21st century by buying my first smart phone I have been using the gps function to record our hikes.

http://goo.gl/maps/1CS3X
http://goo.gl/maps/z3i5h
http://goo.gl/maps/BaStm

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
4 mile hike today. Forgot to gps the last one, but thats ok because it was exactly the same as an earlier one.

http://goo.gl/maps/RJXAB

It looks like it takes atleast 4 miles to get her to nap in the car on the way home.

Tomorrow night is our first nosework class! I can't wait but also kinda worried Shelby will make an obnoxious rear end off herself and I. She is good in crates when its an expected part of her daily routine, but when its unexpected it can sometimes sound like a pack of hyenas are mauling each other, especially when she is excited. She isn't completely flipping out or anything, she just makes a poo poo load of noise. She picks up on routines pretty quickly, so I'm hoping it won't take long for her to settle into it.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
First class went pretty well. Shelby went 3 times, each time was noticably better. First time she tried to eat the instructor, had to really coax her to eat anything, let alone sniff around to find it in a box. 2nd time she was markedly less anxious about the instructor, still weary though, only had a little trouble finding the treats. 3rd time was even less of a fuss.

She was also pretty darn quiet in the crate, I was totally surprised.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Think there's something else she might eat easier while out like that? I have the same problem if I ever want to do training with Buddy (husky) on walks because if it were up to him, walking and sniffing and pulling and being an rear end would be much more rewarding than any food, unless it's something crazy good. Sounds like as she learns the game, though, the fun of Finding A Thing will become more of a reward. I love hearing about Nosework, I can not wait to get involved with it in the future!

She is very very food motivated, it just pushed her waaay past threshold being in a completely unknown environment with an unknown person right there, plus the other dog owners at the other end of the room watching, and other dogs barking (but out of sight) in their crates. Plus Shelby's problems were all set off when she was attacked by a dog at a dog daycare, and even I could sense that familiar odor when I walked in the door.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Would you mind doing a brief rundown of your nosework classes and what the training is like at some point? I've been thinking about taking some nosework classes but am fairly worried it will gently caress up Vecna's ability to do Schutzhund tracking correctly. Do they allow or encourage airscenting in nosework classes?

Sure. It seems to very hands off, atleast in the beginning. You are letting your dog learn by just being left to do its thing, and maybe giving a little encouragement/help to get the dog to work through any problems it has (like not wanting to put its head in a box, learning that it is no longer a Bad Thing to sniff around and use its nose, trying to kill the instructor, etc.) For the last round of the day she was talking about how she was making it a little more difficult by mostly covering the box with the treats with another box, so that the scent would be mostly trapped and harder to find.

I'll keep you guys updated :)

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Did a practice session with Shelby today. Did some experimenting and found swiss cheese to work the best. We were setting up in one room at the end of the hallway from her crate, and she would charge down the hallway into the room and start searching. Then we hid some in the short hallway and room off of the main hallway, expanding the search area. She charged down the hallway past the new stuff and her nose caught the scent and did a u-turn before the rest of her body could and she almost fell over, i'm surprised she didn't give herself whiplash, lol.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby did great at class last night. Just a little grumbling at the instructor. She even willingly walked within a few feet of her with nothing more than a quick glance in the instructors direction. Also her practice over the weekend paid off. Shelby was the only dog who wasn't thrown for a loop when the scent was placed on a chair. We had her climbing all over the couch and chairs and random poo poo to get to it during practice. its funny when she locks into the scent, she won't let anything get in her way. She was forcing herself through tiny gaps in the couches and stuff instead of walking around. Though we didn't have much room to really spread things out, so when one of the scents was waaaay over in the corner that has never paid out before it took her a bit to wander over there.

I am really enjoying this and Shelby definitely has fun with it, even at this basic level.

Stregone fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 2, 2013

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Today after nosework class the instructor was able to get Shelby to follow commands from the other side of the fence. Shelby is so freaking weird. She would be lunging at the instructor one second, and then she stops and follows a command from her to sit or lay down(and its a super clean and straight no hesitating or whining sit/down too!). The instructor even held her hand up to the fence and got Shelby to give her a hi-five. She would also be all scary barking at her one second, and then very gently taking treats (through the fence) from her hand the next second. Like actualy touching her hand with her teeth taking treats, not just poking a long puperoni stick through the opening.

As far as nosework goes she reversed the way she usualy does things. First run was perfect. No getting distracted, just bam bam bam went right for it and got all 3 in the time it took to walk between them. Next two runs she remembered there were people there and kept getting distracted barking at them. She still goes back to work, but she doesn't immediately go back into a really focused working mode until she burns off some anxiety. Also today was the first day Shelby was off leash, the instructor stayed on the other side, the extra freedom probably mixed thign sup as well.

Next class is the last class, and she said Shelby should go right up to the nosework 2 class instead of repeating nosework 1. In the beginning she said Shelby might need to do it a few times to get over her issues, but Shelby is doing very well despite them. She said her goal with shelby is to be able to be in the fenced area with her off leash by the end of the nosework 2 class.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I'm kinda bummed. Last night was the last class for nosework 1, and the instructor backpedaled a bit from what she said last week. She said it might be a good idea for Shelby to repeat nosework 1 to work on her reactivity, because in nosework 2 we will be working in the hallways and kitchen in the dog daycare, where she will be in much closer quarters. She said she would work around it if I wanted to go ahead with nosework 2 but it might impact shelby getting the most out of it, and said it was up to me. What do you guys think?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Sleepy Shelby

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby was doing soooo well at class last night. Then at the end she just had to reign in our optimism by biting the instructor. She only got the pocket flap of the instructor's cargo pants, but still, drat dog.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Yay, Shelby has graduated to Nosework 2! She repeated Nosework 1 (and a half). She was basically doing nosework 2 (food and odor, instead of just food), but in the nosework 1 setting (a fenced in play area). Nosework 2 goes outside and into the office, kitchen, hallways, etc. of the building.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby started nosework 3 today, yay. The instructor is very pleased with her progress. After this is a short 3 week intro to travel classes class. And then we do travel classes where each week we meet at a different location. Hopefully Shelby will be ready for her first trial by the time they run the local one, which I believe is in november. I really need to remember to take some video.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Had a pretty good practice session at the park with Shelby today. Looks like she got all of her fight anxiety out of her system. She was a mess at the last class, getting nervous and jumping up on me during the runs. Today she was all business, only getting distracted by a stupid kid who desperately wanted to say hi even though shelby is lunging and growling at him. I swear it was exactly like the off leash dogs we come across, the kid was running up to us, with the father ineffectually yelling his name. Luckily he stopped short and begrudgingly went back to the playground. But the exact same thing happened twice again each time he saw us.

She seems to have finally picked up her search command. Which helps alot keeping her focused. After she finds a hide I can say "Where is it?!" and she spins around and pokes the hide again :3:

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
This week at nosework class the instructor brought one of her malinois. I had never seen one in person and up close and personal before. It was soo pretty and soft and I totally see the malinois in Shelby now. It was also tiny, like I thought Shelby was kinda small but this girl was skinny and athletic as hell.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby being adorable.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Almost forgot, the above pics were from after we did some vehicle search practice.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I finally remembered to record Shelby's nosework practice.
She was remarkably relaxed and calm today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYDQEKgtm04

I have some more but youtube is still processing.
Number 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II4RrWSYbv8

Stregone fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 21, 2013

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
One of my nosework instructor's Malinois. She has 3 of them.

The two that I have met are super friendly.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

That is an awesome picture, thanks for posting it. :3: I'm so jealous of your nosework stuff, it seems so fun! I keep talking about bringing Buddy to a nosework class because I think it's the only sport he'd ever have the patience for, but it hasn't happened yet. GOOD classes are hard to come by. :/

It IS a ton of fun. The best thing is it gets Shelby out and experiencing new things. Sometimes she still gets worked up, but most of the time she will lunge at someone and mid-lunge remember what she was doing and snap around and start searching again.

Here is one of her other dogs. The first NW1 titled boston terrier. I think its next month she is going for the first NW2 boston terrier :)

This dog is hilarious to watch, crazy enthusiastic.

Stregone fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 11, 2013

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's a vid of Shelby doing nosework practice. if this were in class with people and other dogs around she would have done 3 or 4 laps around the area before starting to search.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203281084886749&l=3241967405799955695

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's another one. I love the first frame of it:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203290806809791

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I've been having car troubles so Shelby hasn't been really been getting out much :(

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I posted this on PIFB the other day, almost forgot about this thread :)

Here is shelby with Anke, our nosework instructor. A year ago when we first started nosework Shelby almost got Anke good a couple times, and looking at her funny or animated body language would set her off. The last few weeks Shelby has been looking pretty comfortable with Anke so this week we brought the basket muzzle and handed the leash over to her. Sometimes she still gets set off during a search sometimes, but she almost instantly recovers and gets back to searching. Nosework is great for reactive dogs. Half of it is probably just getting the exposure and socialization with people who understand and can help run interference.

its a pain int he rear end to give treats to a dog in one of those wire muzzles. Well maybe not a really smart dog. You have to stick it in there from the side, but Shelby keeps trying to grab it as if she didn't have the muzzle on.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Queen Elizatits posted:

:3: That is a cute rear end doggie. I have no memory, is she a GSD? I can never remember if GSDs can come without the saddleback. She looks like the military police dog next door who is a malinois.
We believe she is a GSD/Malinois mix. She has Mal markings, with a GSD coat, and she is a bit more beefy than mals usually are. She does kind of have a saddle, its sort of diluted/salt&pepper. She started off almost completely black as a puppy. Then progressed to looking like a normal GSD pretty much, and then the saddle started fading away.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Over the weekend I shot two days of photography for a nosework trial my instructor put on up in Baltimore. It was NW2 and NW3. After seeing everything that goes into it I am pretty sure Shelby can handle it. I mean, we do travel classes inside of places like Tractor Supply and while she can be on edge, she still searches. An actual trial is a breeze in comparison to that, as far as distractions and possible triggers are concerned.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I keep posting pictures on PIFB and forgetting to post here :p

4th of july was bath day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I have one of the low end $120 force dryers from pet edge. Its pretty weak compared to the heavy duty ones I used as a groomer, but if you just put a bit more time into it the end result is about the same. If I did it again I might step up to the ~$250 one that is twice as powerful.

• Locked thread