Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thread needs fewer Nazis and more landsharks. Here's a great, appropriate photo

(not my photo, not my landshark)

As a kid, my family raised a sable long-haired GSD from Bavarian working stock, bred in America. Her coat was fairly close to the above dog, which meant 99% of people had zero idea what she was. We got a ton of people coming up and asking if she was a wolf, or telling their kids it was a hyena, all kinds of absolutely crazy stuff.

She also had a much squarer butt (technical term obv), like this guy from the OP

Triangulum posted:

Odin vom Stolzenfels, 1933 Sieger Winner
She lived to 13 without any hip dysplasia issues. At the end, she did get general arthritis, but it was controlled pretty well.

RIP world's best, smartest, prettiest hyena :(

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I actually didn't know German shepherds had a reputation for vocalizing. Now I wonder if our dog's organization bred against it, since her littermates didn't do that either. Ours would bark when she was excited, and she would whine when she wanted something or when she was worried, but she was good about stopping at least the I-want-it whining on command. She definitely didn't wander around making sounds at everything like a cat might. Is that normal?

For bonus content, here's a cool Smart Dog story. When she had to go out and the weather was bad, we would put her on a long retractable leash and let her go while we stood on the covered porch. Like any self-respecting dog, she had to explore every foot of yard and woods to find the perfect pee spot, and in the process she would loop her leash all around the trees.

Then she would figure it out and untangle herself from all the trees. And come back and shake all over you, naturally.

I think we really got spoiled. I was dogsitting some neighbors' golden retriever awhile back, and I couldn't believe anyone could actually live with such a dumb -- totally sweet, but two-brain-celled -- dog.

v Take some more videos, wanna hear dat yowling :3:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 22, 2012

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For what it's worth, my family's German shepherd (~75 lbs female) had one of those and could never hurt it. It got a little bit scraped up, like it says, but it's just too big and sturdy for them to really get their teeth into it.

• Locked thread