Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Warbadger posted:

Coincidentally the creator of the breed disagreed and could have cared less about coat color. "A pleasing appearance is desirable, but it can not put the dog's working ability into question." is about as close to a discussion on coloration as he ever came. At no point on record did Max von Stephanitz differentiate between the white coat and what we now consider the standard coloration and it wasn't until literal Nazis started throwing weight around that the standard was changed to the current in the name of (what was considered at the time) progressive, scientific eugenics. Personally I would have no issue with undoing the change made to the standard seeing as it apparently had no real grounds to be made and was made a reality by recent history's most vicious authoritarian party with (tangentally related) dreams of ethnic cleansing.

Speaking of which, if you love GSDs do yourself a favor and check out his book "The German Shepherd Dog". He pretty clearly lays out his intentions for the breed and what the breed was/is supposed to be. It even has pictures!

Changing the breed standard is not 'eugenics' please stop using this word as it has absolutely zero relevance in a discussion about breeding animals. Also what the gently caress is with your weird nazi fixation jeez. Take it back to your creepy nazi roleplay thread, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

They're just dogs, dude.

Here is my GSD story. During college I worked at a commercial appliance repair shop. We had a shop dog named Rider and he was the friendliest dog ever. A real buddy. He was your pal if you came in through the shop. If you came in through the fenced back lot he was not your buddy. He was loud and barked. One day I got to work and everyone was having a good laugh cause some thief had hopped the back fence looking for some scrap metal to steal or something. Rider chased him into a dumpster and the guy had to call 911 to have the cops come rescue him.

What a good dog.

• Locked thread