Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
We took Vecna to the park today to tug and pratice finding objects in snow drifts, which he is picking up pretty quickly.

You can see how big he's getting in this picture. My husband's about 6 ft. tall

Air scenting during a search

I'm a wolf, bitch!

And a video of Vecna hunting for a retrieving dummy in a snow bank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK8fg19drWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Vecna is so handsome. Will he get more 'male' looking as he gets older? Like, you tend to see most male GSDs having bigger jowls and a broader head than the ladies. Or is he finer because of his breeding?

He does look pretty feminine right now but he's only a little over 6 months old so I expect that to change as he gets older. His stop is getting more pronounced, his muzzle is starting to broaden up a bit, and he's already quite jowly. He's also developing a roman nose, which is my favorite thing ever in male GSDs. His sire is very masculine looking but right now Vecna seems to be taking more after his dam. I posted some pictures of them earlier in the thread, but here's a pic of both of his parents.
Sire

Dam

This is probably the most masculine looking photo I have of Vecna right now

E: Hurr

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 26, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
His momma is quite butch, it's true. For now I will keep mocking him by telling him he's effeminate and referring to his harness as "your little dress".

Sorry for all the video spam but nosework is pretty much the poo poo. It's hard to find activities that actually tire him out so nosework's been a godsend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedpIjrPn1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BJMapmwQk

E: Added Front and rear angulation in the working dog to the OP. Definitely worth a read.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 30, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh God, did anyone see the best of breed winner in Westminister last night? :gonk:

GSD is at 17:40: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/#/Best%20of%20Group/2012/vid:17893560
God that dog's movement is horrible and he has a really weird looking head. Ugh. The breed judging for GSDs isn't up yet but honestly I'm not sure I want to see it...

On the other hand this Sieger moves so beautifully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJPE9oNN7A
Dingo vom Haus Gero

WolfensteinBag posted:

Well, Wildhaus finally posted about their spring litter, and I have to say, I'm roundabout excited. They bred Eris, who is a much more "serious" dog than their Raven, who is the other breeding female at the moment. This litter is going to be a bunch of super serious, high intensity dogs, which would probably not land me in the running for a puppy. So, the way I look at it, if they're doing this super sports-driven litter right now, then in the fall/winter, they'll probably breed Raven and maybe aim for less super sporty dogs, right? :iamafag: I'm just hope, hope, hoping at this point, we're getting so close! :ohdear: (Well, close if you consider I've been planning on this dog since probably 2008...)

Dude that's awesome :3: Hopefully there will be a little Wildhaus pup in your near(ish) future.

E: The sun was out for the first time in who knows how long so I took some pics at the park
Vecna seemed to enjoy the makeshift spring pole

Flirt pole: still awesome

He's really into fetching tree branches now

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 12, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Would you mind doing a brief rundown of your nosework classes and what the training is like at some point? I've been thinking about taking some nosework classes but am fairly worried it will gently caress up Vecna's ability to do Schutzhund tracking correctly. Do they allow or encourage airscenting in nosework classes?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Skizzles posted:

I was going to take a nosework class with Shadow that started today, but ultimately I couldn't afford it, even with my employee discount. :( Oh well, in the meantime I enjoy hearing about everyone else's nosework stories.

That's a huge bummer but you probably wouldn't have much problem teaching him yourself. Tracking doesn't take much if anything in the way of equipement and it's really, really fun even if you don't have much idea what the hell you're doing (like me! :buddy:)

Stregone posted:

Sure. It seems to very hands off, atleast in the beginning. You are letting your dog learn by just being left to do its thing, and maybe giving a little encouragement/help to get the dog to work through any problems it has (like not wanting to put its head in a box, learning that it is no longer a Bad Thing to sniff around and use its nose, trying to kill the instructor, etc.) For the last round of the day she was talking about how she was making it a little more difficult by mostly covering the box with the treats with another box, so that the scent would be mostly trapped and harder to find.

I'll keep you guys updated :)

yay Shelby :3: Is the class based around scent discrimination or trailing or what? What styles of scenting are allowed (air, ground)? Also you should get someone to take pictures hinthint

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Vanessie posted:

Gorgeous Animals. I think most German Shepherds I know though are a bit unruly though, they are very mouthy. Love to bite and gnaw instead of sniff or lick...if that makes any sense? It gets fustrating.

The mouthiness is normal for the breed but you can train them to be gentle or lick pretty easily, though it definitely takes time. I let mine mouth me as long as he doesn't put any pressure down but I can see how other people might find that irritating. And well... Any underexercised or undertrained dog is going to be unruly, especially with high energy breeds like GSDs

In other news, Vecna made it to San Diego with no problems, handled the flight like a trooper, and charmed the pants off of a bunch of TSA agents :3: he is so happy in the new house and LOVES having a backyard and a dog park nearby. He's having a bit of trouble with the heat though, he gets tired really easily and we have to make sure to bring tons of water for him when we go exploring. He's the happiest I've ever seen him :3:
http://instagr.am/p/WFesfNDQC-
seeing the ocean for the first time

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That's so awesome that Shelby's enjoying nosework so much :3: You should try and take a video of her finding a thing!

Vecna's leg is finally better so after work today we all headed to the local dog beach. I thought we'd have to teach him to like the ocean but nope, it's pretty much the best thing ever as far as Vecna's concerned.

Wave noooooooo

Vecna really, really likes lady shepherds

A cute little Czech dog we met

He's been doing great with his recalls

drat it's good to be home.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm super happy he loves the water and we're finally somewhere sunny and warm, it's a lot more fun taking him to the beach than to a mud and slush filled park. I really love that beach too, I used to take my dog there a lot when I was a kid. It's a really good place to let your dog socialize with others while being big enough to get some space between your dog and everyone else, which is nice because Vecna is really pissy about his toys.

Vecna will be 8 months old next week :toot: Can't believe I've had him for half a year and what a big boy he is. The vet says he weighs 73 lbs now and could still use to put on some weight. He's so skinny and gangly but eats like a loving horse. We have our training consultation next weekend too at this place, which I'm really excited about.

E: Found some nice images of correct and incorrect structure while re-reading The German Shepherd in Word and Picture today:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 8, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
They look like happy dogs :3: That dolphin hop is one of my favorite things ever.

dog + jolly egg + water: a recipe for success

Victory!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
He figured out that if he wedges the egg against something and holds onto it with his feet, it'll stay still long enough to pick up. The plastic isn't the toughest so he was able to bite it hard enough to dig his teeth in.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Man I don't know what to do about Schutzhund. Right now I'm holding off on joining a club until Vecna finishes his private classes because I want him to learn how to relax and self soothe before we get serious about doing sports. But we have gone and checked out most of the local clubs and I am having a hard time figuring out which to join. One club is really close to me (we could walk if we wanted) and is all +R based but less focused on teaching new handlers and seems really cliquey. The club director also completely ignored me and directed all questions towards my husband, which pissed me off. The other club uses corrections but owns their own tracking field, is heavily teaching focused, runs the SV breed survey here, and seems a lot more serious but is over an hour away.

There seems to be a lot of drama between all the clubs too :sigh:

ShadowStalker posted:

Sweng by the vet to pick up some heartworm medicine for our other dog. Duke turns 5 months old tomorrow and already weighs in at 66lbs. Defintely going to break 100lbs full grown. He likes to sit on the couch and stare at you when you are in the kitchen, like the velociraptor from Jurrasic Park. Clever Boy! I'll have to get a pic of it tommorrow. He's still full of crazy puppy energy but late at night likes to chill on the sofa with one of us.

Happy kind of birthday Duke and welcome to the giant-rear end puppy club. Out of curiosity, do you know how tall he is? Also please post pics.

Stregone posted:

I'm kinda bummed. Last night was the last class for nosework 1, and the instructor backpedaled a bit from what she said last week. She said it might be a good idea for Shelby to repeat nosework 1 to work on her reactivity, because in nosework 2 we will be working in the hallways and kitchen in the dog daycare, where she will be in much closer quarters. She said she would work around it if I wanted to go ahead with nosework 2 but it might impact shelby getting the most out of it, and said it was up to me. What do you guys think?

Is there any way you can try out the Nosework 2 class and if it doesn't work for her, move back to 1? Since you've done the first class before the two of you wouldn't really be missing anything. And hey, maybe Shelby will surprise you again. It seems like she did a lot better in Nosework 1 than expected :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I honestly don't have a problem with prong collars but I don't really think I'd be super comfortable giving corrections, no. They don't really advocate corrections on puppies and green dogs because it fucks up their drive and enthusiasm but still.

Training with the +R club honestly seems pointless though. It seems more like a group that shares equipment more than anything else.

Maybe I should just bail on Schutzhund for now and do something else :sigh:. I have been tempted to try out agility.

E; New page, have pics
This is Vecna's new favorite place

He finally grew into the collar I bought for Saber

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 3, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats on your baby landshark! Post lots of pictures unless you want him to die from PES and remember: the jumping up and biting your arms is normal and it doesn't mean he's aggressive.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's not biased if it's true :colbert: Looking at that picture makes me wonder if Mo's got some West German show line in him. He's got the deep red coat, bear face, stocky build, and (slightly) roached back that's common in those lines.

This is my Schutzhund trainer and his West German IPO 3 dog, who's got a similar build to MoMo:

He's more bearfaced and stockier than Mo though

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 12, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I believe that dog is 8 or 9. He's mostly retired from IPO 'cause he's an old man :3: Have you thought about looking for a Schutzhund club in your area? Any decent one should be willing to test out whether MoMo's suitable.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's fantastic that you're getting him started in Schutzhund so early. Were his parents Schutzhund dogs?

Vecna is 9 months old today and weighs 83 lbs now. I know the "teenager" months are supposed to be a nightmare but holy poo poo he is so much more enjoyable and easy to deal with now.

I don't think I'll ever own another breed.

E: Would there be any interest in some more effort posts? I'm thinking of doing some write ups on Schutzhund, the SV breed survey, and tending some time this week.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 15, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I love his white little beard, he looks like such a dignified man :3:

I found Vecna's female clone

I've seen so many DDR dogs who look like this that I'm starting to wonder if Vecna has some in him

E: What do you guys think of this breeder http://www.gildafk9.com/index.html

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 21, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Haha why am I not surprised you were looking at them, we seem to like similar types of Shepherds :haw: I know some people on the Working Dog forums have gotten pups from them for sports so I know they do place pups with families but yeah intensity could definitely be an issue. I know you've mentioned this before but my memory is poo poo, but what are your plans for your future GSD? I know you wanted to use it as a demo dog, do you have sport plans for it as well?

ShadowStalker posted:

Duke's new Jolly Pet Push-N-Play 14 inch ball arrived today and he went crazy with it. He kept us laughing for a good 30 minutes before I grabbed the camera and captured a video.

Got him the Jolly Pet 10 inch teaser ball last week and he carried it around all day but wasn't making all kinds of noise like with the new ball. I think it's because he can't pick this one up completely.

Just hit the 6 month mark, around 22 inches tall, and around 70lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNl2OeIUpU

Let us know how that toy holds up if you don't mind. I was thinking of replacing Vecna's egg with that ball once it's finally broken.

I love watching this dog work a sleeve but man he's a loving weird looking dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps_ddqj9zuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6laaB5n9MY

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Crooked Booty posted:

Any thoughts on this breeder? I like to daydream about future GSDs. :allears:

http://www.vanmeerhoutshepherds.com/index.html

edit: that link was there all along :blush:

Oh hey one of the kennels I've been looking at. My only major beef with Van Meerhout is that they don't test for DM. But there are some impressive dogs in their pedigree, they extensively title their dogs, most of the dogs are KKL1s, and Rob and Jessy are ridiculously talented handlers. One thing to be aware of though: when they say "no deposit refunds", they mean it much more than other kennels do. If a pup with the temperament you want doesn't drop, your deposit will get pushed back to the next litter even if that means you have to wait 5 or 6 litters.

Also Fratz vom Kleinen Schutz is literally the best name for a gsd ever :kimchi:

We found a nice little hiking area five minutes from the house

Happy puppy

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 25, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I've got some private Schutzhund lessons set up and the trainer sent me some cool videos of him working his dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkgosHzYj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKs9a3gRaEI
I think working with this guy will be a great experience, I'm super excited.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I definitely will, we should have our first session sometime this week.

The GSDCA-WDA National Championship and the National Universal Sieger Championship happened this week and determined who'll represent the US at the WUSV World Championship this year. Danger von Juliet was named the Sieger, won the IPO trial, high HOT, and high Protection.

Pictures from the pratice:

Here's a highlight reel: http://vimeo.com/65151073

E: This PDF has a really cool article starting on page 8 about different GSD bloodlines and their variation in type and temperament. Also I am working on those longer posts, I promise.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 1, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to do an image dump from this morning's Schutzhund practice.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
We both had a really good time but drat I have never been so sore after dog training. I have to be really careful during the rag work or sometimes I get pulled off my feet because Vecna's so loving strong. We're now meeting up friday mornings to do tracking (in really nice conditions) and Saturday mornings to do ob, protection, and a tiny bit of tracking in bad conditions. He had said he thinks that with the right training and work, Vecna could probably trial at a national level, which surprised me. I think it's going to be a really great experience, there are only two of us in the group so we get tons of one on one attention and the trainer's a really nice guy and gave me a ton of awesome advice. He's been encouraging us to make short videos during the week and email them to him so he can see what we're doing at home. It's pretty crazy how much time and effort he's putting into us for basically minimum wage.

We have a shitload of homework to do this week but holy poo poo this stuff is so much fun :neckbeard:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like American bred to me but I could be wrong. Honestly though, I don't think he's slightly built for a GSD at all. If you check out older pictures of GSDs, most have a body structure very similar to Budworth. They're supposed to be rather slim and sleek, the trend towards big bearlike dogs is a relatively recent one and working lines tend towards being pretty small (outside of DDR I guess). Large dogs can't do the work required nearly as efficiently as the slighter ones.

And Pomme, we are always interested in pics of handsome GSDs :3:

E: I really doubt he's mixed, he's probably just BYB. Do you know what his height and weight are and do you have a good shot from the side?

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 8, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Hahaha that last picture is the best, I love it when GSDs sealface.

24" is the lower end of the standard for males but it's still within the standard. I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm correct about him being a BYB purebred.

If you have an interest in doing sports with him, you should! It's really rewarding and does great things for your bond with your dog. Plus he'll get all buff :black101:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Skizzles posted:

I distinctly remember not being able to use the bathroom without them barging (or attempting to barge) in to keep me company.

GSD.txt

Vecna was very, very tired after a long day of training :3:

IPO has been so great for him, he usually only wakes up to eat afterwards haha

E: Check out my friend's adorable little assistance and IPO dog:

He's an awesome dog. He has such a sweet personality but turns into a firecracker on the field. I've handled him during protection and he's a blast to work with.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 15, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Almost every GSD I've ever met is tree fetcher.

I took Vecna to the field to play two ball this morning.

He seems a little out of shape, I think I need to take him swimming more.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That would drive me crazy, I don't know how to interact with non-toy driven dogs at all. You can increase his toy drive and desire to fetch if that's something that matters a lot to you though.

Pups was looking extra handsome to make up for what a little poo poo he was being. His coat is weird right now, he's sprouting white hairs all over his face and sides :confused: You're a little young to be going grey pups.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats Shelby!

Vecna went on his first camping trip

Doing some archeology

He got really, really dusty. Still, it's better than mud.

Good dogs get ice cream

I think he enjoyed himself

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Aaaahhh!! Sooooo I've been doing some sleuthing, and it looks like Wildhaus' next litter will probably be with Heidi, whom I absolutely love. :3: They say their next litter will ideally be fall/winter, which would be too soon to breed Eris again. They've also just done a bunch of health testing on Heidi, and have mentioned getting her SchH titled over the summer. They've also updated her info and pictures! UGH, between this and a CsV litter slated for winter that I'm SUPER interested in, I'm REALLY hoping we'll be able to add a puppy here pretty soon... :ohdear:

Here's a new picture of Heidi:

Oh man, I have my fingers crossed for you! I want to live vicariously through your Wildhaus pup :kimchi:

Some shots from Schutzhund yesterday:

[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/RtM2MyO.jpg][/tIMG]

and a video of one bite work session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExBPXpZItk

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Right now I'm taking two different classes with the same trainer: a SchH tracking class and a bite work & OB class. Tracking costs $125 for 5 weeks ($25/class), lasts 2.5 hrs, and has four students and he usually throws in some bitework for the GSD people once the non-SchH people leave. Bite work/OB costs $20/class, lasts 2-3 hrs and has anywhere from 1 to 3 students. The classes are technically group classes but all instruction is done individually so it's more like a private class where you get to watch other private classes afterwards. Overall I feel like it's a super reasonable price especially considering he charges about 1/5 what pet dog trainers charge for private classes.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

pomme posted:

I love your sport photos with Vecna.

Thank you! One of the women I train with sent me a video of Vecna doing bite work on friday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2QE_AB_4k

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Going back to this, if I'm reading it right... That would be $45 a week, and the 3 parts are spread over 2 classes/sessions? That does sound cheaper than here, from what I can gather. The one place here breaks it down to the 3 parts every week, $30 for the first, $20 for the second, and $10 for the third, and it's drop in, pay as you go classes, so the most you pay a week is $60 for all three parts.

The other place (which I kinda like better) is $15 for obedience only, $35 for obedience and protection, but I'm not sure how they work in tracking. Since I've been looking in to prices for training in terms of per-week lately, all of this really doesn't sound as "bad" as I'd previously thought. I might still only work on obedience and tracking, but I don't think bitework is as much out of the question as I thought. The only thing is I want to be REALLY sure I'm going to stick with it before I do anything related to bitework, because I really, really don't want a half trained dog that is used to Biting a Thing that all of a sudden doesn't get to go out and do that anymore! But you're making it look sooooo fuuuunnnn.......

Yep, $45 a week over two classes. If you can swing it and there is a good club or trainer in your area, you should totally go for it. Just make sure your decoy is really, really good if you're going to do bite work. I'm training with a dog who was drat near ruined by another decoy and it's sad to see how her confidence has been destroyed (she's making a lot of progress now though!). Also if you're interested in the tracking phase, definitely try to find someone to work with you even though you technically can do it alone.

We don't have Schutzhund for the next 6 weeks :( My trainer's going to chicken camp and to train with Mario Verslype (!!!!!), which is loving awesome but I'm sad for me and puppy. Schutzhund has hands down been the best part of our week. My trainer got me signed up for an engagement and motivation for sport dogs class though, which should be a ton of fun.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah honestly you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a SchH ground that doesn't allow correction collars. My trainer doesn't but he's kind of a unicorn. Are you gonna do tracking and OB with Buddy or are you planning ahead for futurepup?

The real solution is moving to CA and training with us :colbert:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Good lord is he like three feet tall or something??

Here are some clubs in your area, can't personally vouch for any of them. I'll email some of my IPO buddies and ask is anyone can recommend clubs/trainers in you area though.
http://boldcityschutzhundclub.com/
http://www.firstcoastschutzhund.com/
http://www.irondogschutzhund.com/

You can also check the WDA and DVG websites and look for nationally associated clubs but from what I understand, most of the north Florida clubs only exist on paper.

Honestly your best bet is going to be talking to the TDs and attending some training sessions.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo it must have been a while since posted pics, your boy's all grown up! :kimchi:

I will say though... He's carrying too much weight for Schutzhund right now. It takes a fuckload out of a dog and if they're carrying any extra weight, they're not going to have the endurance required for the protection phase. Please don't think I'm ragging on you or calling your dog a fat-rear end or anything (I'm not!) I honestly only bring it up because I've been dealing with this with Vecna recently (our TD put him on a diet :lol:). He's not at all fat by the vet's standards, I can feel his ribs, etc. but he's still too fat for protection and it shows. He can't last nearly as long as the thinner dogs and the fact that he's over-sized exacerbates the problem. His movement improved a lot after he dropped a couple pounds too and I think it was part of the reason he kept injuring his leg. Now that he's a bit thinner he's lasting a lot longer in protection and he does the full on :angel:flying trot:angel:

You might want to consider working on his conditioning now while you're still looking for a club. I can post the conditioning exercises my TD gave us if you like.

(For reference, Vecna's 27" and 84.4 lbs, down from 88 lbs)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
A lot of the exercises we're working on right now are combined conditioning/engagement exercises or have some foundation work for later behaviors, so feel free to ignore whatever isn't applicable to you.

quote:

Flirt Pole
Go out of way to be unpredictable. If he's cutting off the lure you aren't trying hard enough. When he catches lure, turn back on dog and tug while running away. Drop pole, continue to run away from dog while doing whatever it takes to get him to ignore lure and re-engage with you. Upon re engagement, pick up pole and repeat.

2 Ball
Show dog a ball, toss as far as you can (make sure dog can catch ball after 1st bounce). After releasing ball, run in opposite direction as fast as you can to increase distance traveled on return. When dog either chases after you or looking in your direction, toss 2nd ball. Repeat.

2 Ball for Revier
Have dog sit at front. Show ball, ask "are you ready?". On eye contact, point arm in direction you are throwing ball, throw. After dog gets ball, run away from him and entice him to follow. As dog approaches turn so that dog passes in front of your body, outstretch arm parallel to ground, pointing in direction you are throwing ball. Throw ball. Repeat.

Race!
Set up 3 cones in a triangle approx. 30-50 ft apart. Start at 1st cone. Toss treats left and right 3x, after he eats last treat say "race!" and run to 2nd cone, turn around half way and engage and encourage dog to chase while still running. Stop at 2nd cone, toss treat away (outside triangle). Say race, run to 3rd cone, repeat. After 3rd cone, throw ball.

Race probably doesn't count as conditioning but it is fun as heck

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 21, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry I should have clarified a bit more but a backyard isn't large enough to do any of the 2 ball exercises. You pretty much want them running the length of a soccer field per retrieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah the space is always an issue :sigh: It's so hard to find places to let them run that aren't dog parks, it's a huge bummer. Have you tried different types of balls besides tennis balls? Vecna wasn't very into the tennis balls but Kong Balls are so important to him that he'll try to murder any dog who touches them and they have a hole in the center so you can turn them into ball-on-a-rope. Ball drive is super, super important for Schutzhund so it'd definitely be worth the time to work on his a bit. This article has good advice on how to make a dog more interested in a specific toy.

• Locked thread