Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The WUSV Weldmeisterschaft was a few weeks ago and one of the dogs from the AMerican team did an awesome takedown during the courage test :3:

Iron von den Wölfen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally! Congrats! Do you know if your pup will be out of Isis or Mocha?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly I would abandon the idea that a walk is ever going to tire out your young GSDs. Like Lenk said, it's very important to get to work immediately on teaching the dogs to be calm inside, I'd check out matwork and work on reinforcing calm behavior inside asap. If you just keep increasing their exercise without teaching them to be calm all you will do is increase your dog's stamina and make it so they always require more and more exertion to get tired. I like to give my dogs a nice long lasting chew like a raw frozen hoof after exercising because it helps them learn to settle and lets them relieve some post-exercise stress.

As for ways to more efficiently tire out your dogs, the two best methods I've found are flirt pole and tracking or scent work. Flirt poles are nice because you can give them an intense workout very quickly and they are also a great way to work on your dog's impulse control. Scent work is very mentally taxing for a dog and you can do it literally anywhere. An easy way to start out is to hide your dog's meal all over the house or back yard and have them hunt for their meal. You can easily make this much harder by hiding their food in places that require them to crawl, climb, jump, dig, or open boxes and by hiding food both indoors and outdoors. You can also try nose work games, scent discrimination exercises, or full on tracking.

I've personally found most puzzle toys to be a waste of money though not unsafe at all. We've tried Kong wobblers, tug a jugs, buster cubes, treat dispensing balls, and probably a few more I'm forgetting and the only one that took Vecna more than 5 minutes to empty was the buster cube. The buster cube is one of the better puzzle toys but these days I stick to food hiding games (more time consuming and difficult) or very long lasting chews.

Hope that helps some, also post pictures please

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Rooting for you to get a bad-rear end bicolor little girl!

I doubt anyone reads this sperg poo poo but i found some cool articles about GSD conformation with a lot of fantastic illustrations and photographs so here u go

http://www.louisdonald.com/a-general-overview-of-the-german-shepherd-dog.html
http://www.gsdcouncilaustralia.org/ANKC_Extended_GSD_Standard.pdf

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm jealous you get to see those dogs all the time, police K9s and military working dogs are an obsession of mine. Doing fake hides is a super common technique used with search dogs to keep them from losing motivation, it's cool that you got to watch one. Next time you should ask if you can hide for the dog :)

So Wolfenstein, when do you find out which puppy is yours and when does she come home?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
On monday my husband found this dog wandering around our office

Until we can find her owners, she's staying with us I guess! She's a very nice dog though 100% untrained. I'm not sure how someone could let a dog get this old without teaching her to sit and pee outside! She had months worth of dead undercoat stuck to her so we took her to the dog wash:

Much better, though her coat is still a wreck! Getting my dogs to co-exist with her has been a challenge but for a super nervous dog and a dog who likes to jump out of car windows to fight other dogs they are doing quite well. Predictably there's been some bitchiness between the girls so I've been encouraging them to ignore each. Since Vex is so DA he's has to be in obedience mode around her but he's doing a fantastic job of keeping his poo poo together. He does get a little melodramatic at times though:

In other news, Vecna and I start a group trial prep class tonight. We took a break from groups for a long time to work on his DA (spending the whole class trying to keep him from eating other dogs makes them quite unproductive...) but I think he's ready.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 23, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Class was uh... an experience. Kikopup/Emily Larlham's wife Martina and their border collie Lumos are in our class which is pretty neat. Vex did really well for a while and was able to eat and work around two bitches but once he got into the ring he kind of lost his mind. He got really stressed out, started hollering at the other dogs, and spazzed out on the end of his leash which kinda sucked. But the first session of group classes are always a stressful pain in the rear end with him and he did much, much better than he ever has before so I think he'll be ok. His leg was also really bothering him which tends to make him more reactive and very difficult to get focused so I'm sure that played a part in it.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
cool does it do anything

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats! So when's her first IPO lesson :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey thread its been a while

We had two birthdays last week! Vecna turned 3

and Kassie is 4!

She was very excited about getting cheeseburgers

Kas and Heidi have formed a truce. Neither is particularly fond of the other but they coexist peacefully and have learned to mind their own business.

Surprisingly, Vex and Heidi are now secret best bros. I say secret because when we're around they mostly ignore each other but they play chase and wrestle when they think I'm not looking. It's super sweet how gentle he is with her :3:

Heidi still hasn't gotten this whole "car" thing figured out

Despite her white beard and grey rear end hairs, our vet thinks Heidi is probably only 1 or 2. I'm still a bit skeptical myself because I've never met a young GSD as lazy as she is.

Psychobabble! visited us and Vex thought she was the greatest thing to ever happen to him

We went to a couple Schutzhund trials and hung out with some real cool dogs

Kas got to do some pretend bitework

And Vecna is.. well, vecna

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 20, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Hip dysplasia isn't really something that a dog can die of, it just cripples the poo poo out of them. Contrary to popular belief, HD really isn't the fault of show breeders. The problem is that when the breed was being developed, some of the founding stock had pretty bad HD as did the early popular sires. So honestly it will always be an issue in the breed but like alifeless said, research your lines and find some who've had minimal issues with HD and you'll have a much better chance at getting a dog would good hips.

My husband and I bought a place out in the country with a full kennel setup and holy poo poo are the dogs ever stoked.

now to build 600ft of fencing to keep vex from disappearing into the back country :gonk:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah it's a huge bummer, they're such cool dogs but man some of them are so hosed up. I've seen a few down at the humane society that are so crippled I can't even wrap my head around why they haven't been put down.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Really depends on what you want out of the dog. If you're just looking for a nice pet and a buddy for Pax, I probably wouldn't go working line. I'm not too familiar with show lines tbh but I'd look for a breeder that shows in CKC rather than AKC because they penalize pretty heavily for hosed up back legs. If you tell me what state you're in, I'll see if I can find some for you.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
No prob. Local is preferable imo just because you can meet the parents, meet the other dogs on site, see what kind of conditions they live in etc. It's also worth asking around on the German Shepherd Dog forums, there's a lot of very experienced people there who are pretty helpful. If it were me, I'd look for someone breeding moderate drive and energy showlines who puts obedience and maybe agility titles on their dogs. Always look for extensive hip and elbow testing, DM testing is a plus too. I probably wouldn't look for a breeder who does a ton of protection work because those dogs tend to be harder, sharper, and higher drive than most people want for a house pet. A mellower female like my girl Heidi would probably suit your needs quite well.

You also might consider looking into a rescue. There are a shitload of GSD specific rescues and they almost always have a number of puppies.

Speaking of Pax, how's his nosework stuff going?

E: also - avoid white shepherds like the loving plague

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Lol yeah DDR working lines for someone who just wants a pet, fantastic suggestion

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Having acreage makes a huge difference though and there are some pretty intense dogs in that breeder's pedigrees. If you're looking for a pet, non-sport dog for city living getting dogs out of chiller lines is a better bet than going balls to the wall with a working line and praying for the best. As much as I love working lines, they're not super appropriate for pet-only homes (doubly so if you don't have land) and the DDR and Czech lines tend to be even sharper and slow maturing than most. If he was hell bent on a WL (which as far as I can tell he isn't) West German show/working line mixes tend to produce some nice dogs that are a bit less intense.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
so where are the pics :colbert:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
They're both really cute, i love that old lady beard :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
no amount of yelling NU UH will make working lines appropriate for literally every home and owner sorry

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Containing this fucker has become borderline impossible. First vex figured out how to open the gates to chain link fences - no big deal, just stick a carabiner through the hole on the latch. then I get home from work and he's running around loose inside the kennels

turns out he figured out that if you lift the door up high enough, it comes off its hinges. So we fix that but he starts jumping over the 6' fence for the run and when he gets tired of doing that he runs straight through the goddamn wooden fence. so we move him to an all-chainlink kennel and put some fencing over the top of it, thinking that would keep him contained

somehow, he's still getting out. i just keep him in the house now but yesterday i caught him trying to figure out how to open the front door.

working lines :toot:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's a big dog and GSDs are known for biting people, of course some people are scared of him. They're intimidating animals if you aren't comfortable around them or other large dogs.

Can I ask what "protective of me and my wife" and "he protects his little sister at the dog park" means?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
If a dog is harassing your small dog or playing too rough with her you really shouldn't be waiting for your GSD to deal with it, its your job to stop that not his. Having him take care of it is a real nice way to get him to start resource guarding her or for a fight to break out. Plus you're not doing her any favors by letting dogs bully her until Finn steps in.

Honestly, I don't think GSDs are dogs you should take to dog parks basically ever but we can't even get people to stop taking their shitbulls to dog parks in this forum so I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not picturing him acting aggressively but if it's gotten to the point he feels he needs to step in, it's already past the point you should have stepped in. If he's just yelling at dogs who are playing with Molly, that's a different issue. Its pretty easy to spot when dogs are about to start acting lovely to each other with a bit of practice, just maybe keep a better eye out for it and shoo 'em away before they get rude. Keep in mind though, "smiling" and tail wagging doesn't mean a dog is happy or playing. Pulling back their commissure and stiffly wagging their tails is actually a good sign you're dog is super uncomfortable or considering starting a fight.

There's a really cool book called Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog that goes into utterly exhaustive detail (with pictures!) of dog body language. Highly recommended, it's a super neat book and really useful

Honestly though this is a big reason I don't like dog parks. It shouldn't be YOUR job to keep other dogs from being dicks to your dogs, their owners should be doing that. but if you're not actively policing other dog's behavior inevitably some rando dog will be a fuckface to yours while their owner just sits there and watches like a moron. If you have a dog like a GSD, people assume your dog started poo poo just by existing because they're ~so mean~. It's fuckin dumb

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lmao that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Linda Shaw, who does excellent illustrations of GSDs and published the new illustrated GSD standard recently posted some great articles on analyzing the structure and gait of GSDs. They dispel some of the common misconceptions about structural flaws - namely that problems in the rear are the result of hip dysplasia and that "sloped backs" is a meaningful criticism.

Structural analysis of a recent VA rated dog

Understanding Toplines

A Beginner's Guide to analyzing gait

• Locked thread