Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I heart this thread. We have two landsharks. Our first GSD is 4 year old Josie.

Here she is down by the river a couple years ago.

And putting her to work around the house...

Last spring we decided we needed another puppy. A friend of my wife's was planning on getting this pup and then couldn't for some reason, so we were able to get her instead.

Here's Greta!

And again

And the two girls together after playing in the snow.

They're like peas and carrots!

They both have fantastic noses. I'd love to get them into tracking. One of our games with Josie is to take her out to the farm and play hide and seek with her. We'll throw her toy out and then run and hide.

Bonus: GSD decal here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

We took Greta out today to work on recalls and then some hide and seek. She loves the flirt pole too.

She looks a lot like her daddy, Rocco, but we're thinking she'll be about the size of her mama Shelby.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Dust Radio posted:

I kind of hope he doesn't grow into them. :3:

Those big radar ears are the coolest!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Does anybody use a furminator on a long coat shepherd?

Bonus pic of our girl Greta:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the replies. We might just stick with the rake for now. She sure does shed a lot.

Skizzles posted:

edit: btw, please send Greta to me. :3:

Also, can't let her go. Josie would get lonely.

Those two are like peas and carrots

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

The Paw has force dryers available for use on open swim days. I should just take them up for swimming and then use these. I bet that would work pretty well.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

I have a Czech/DDR dog and not only is she my best friend, she's a great pet. I'd never have her in an apartment, though. We live on about a half acre and have access to a farm to let her run and play.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

I agree. My Josie was crazy driven. She hated her crate and even destroyed her upper canines trying to break out. We kept her busy and she matured into my best friend. She clung to me during my last time with the flu. Her nickname is mama bear because of the way she looks after us.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Here's my Josie. My BFF. Me and her are like peas and carrots!

Here's my Greta. She's a monkey and a total sweetheart. She's almost mature enough to be left alone without eating furniture or socks.

They are the coolest dogs ever!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Triangulum posted:

They're both really cute, i love that old lady beard :3:

Thanks! She's such a cutie IRL, too. I can't believe she's gonna be 7 this year either.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Rigel posted:

Every litter has dogs who don't make the cut for working.

So noble a creature!

Love the markings.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Case in point: Zelda

She's the most laid back, non-vocal GSD I've ever met. I adopted her from a rescue, so her background is largely a mystery to me. But she is a wonderful dog, very loyal, and a breeze to train.

:kimchi:

Tomberforce posted:

So we advertised for a new housemate and had a reply from a guy who sounded promising. We knew he had a dog but he was coy about the breed. I think he was a bit taken aback by how excited we were when he said he had a black GSD! We love them!

He's moving in tomorrow. I cannot wait! Will introduce him to you when we meet him!

The guy we got Josie from has a black GSD. She looked awesome and was cool as hell, too.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Our Josie is Czech/DDR and she weighs in around 70lbs, FWIW. Great looking dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Ausrotten posted:

Air snapping when excited is pretty common to west euro shepherds (it's practically a breed trait in dutch and belgian shepherds) - a lot of people call it "clacking". Kas does it too and while I'm sure there is some way to train them out of it I honestly have never bothered. You might want to ask the training thread.

Our Josie (the Czech/DDR) does this when working with fetch or flirt pole. It'll be KLACK! followed by klacklacklacklack type sounds. Her focus is impressive.

Ausrotten posted:

playing with a flirt pole

Agreed. The flirt pole is awesome.

Ausrotten posted:

You also need to get his 'leave it' and 'stay' rock loving solid.

Also agreed. Her's is amazing. It took time but it's worth it.

• Locked thread