Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Kinda late, but Yay GSD thread. I have a one of these monster and it is weirdest dog experience I've ever had. I wish someone would have told me I was getting a dog that could carry it's own weight in emotional baggage. (Also, oh god the noises.) Living with Maverick is like living with a three year old that is constantly on verge of having either the best or worst day of her life. Oh you decided to have people spend the week in MY house, well how about I bark at them whenever they move because clearly you're not doing anything about getting them the gently caress out of here. Oh you came home and I got to chase a stray cat out of the yard, BEST loving DOG DAY EVER!

Here have some pictures of not a triangle.
Hey I noticed you're typing things on the internet and not directly interacting with me in any way, shape, or form.

Okay no seriously you've been up for more than an hour and I have not received one tummy rub. Don't make get whiny up in this bitch.

Not pictured: earsplitting yipes of displeasure when I decided to only give a moderate amount of belly rubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Triangulum, I love love love your doggies so much, I have always really wanted a sable GSD ,but those two may be changing my mind. Especially Kas, she has such a pretty feminine face all the GSD's in my area are all giant 100lb German show looking things, so it's nice to moderate dogs, even if it's only on the internet.

I have a training question and I thought it might get more attention here than the general training thread. We have recently started to have some new friends come over and Maverick usually is pretty nervous around new people so I usually give her a special chew and make sure I am accessible to her at all times and she usually settles down either near me or on her bed after the initial excitement.

The first problem I am having is whenever anyone leaves the living room area to go to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever Maverick alert barks at them and "herds" them until they get back the first couple of times she did this I didn't call her back right away and as the person left the room she jumped at them while barking. As soon I saw her starting to follow the next time someone left I called her back to me but she continued barking until they got back to the couch and I couldn't get her to settle. I clearly need a plan of action because no one likes being chased or jumped at by a 70lb barking GSD. My current plan is this next time they come over when I see people getting ready to exit the room call Maverick over and ask for a sit stay and if she starts barking give a no reward marker and put her in a time out for 10-15 seconds and let her try again, and obviously treat when she watches the people leaving quietly.

The other problem I'm a little less sure of how to address these particular group of friends can get pretty loud and it makes Maverick really nervous she paces, gives lots of calming signals, ect. and it's amplified because we have stained concrete floors so everything seems even nosier. What would be a good way to get her more comfortable with lots of noise and excitement? All I can think of is just lots of treats and happiness while its noisy, but I want do it properly so I don't accidentally reinforce the idea that yes you should be worried/afraid of all this excitement. So should I be reinforcing while she is giving calming signals or should I call her over and ask for a behavior and reward while she does that?

It may also be important to note that she does not have a crate but does have access to her "den" in the master bedroom away from all of us but she is too much of a velcro dog to utilize it.

Here is a picture of the culprit

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

She has a lot of anxiety around being "trapped" anywhere she is fine alone out in the house ,but when she gets put in the bedroom when repair men or whatever come over her doggy brain breaks. I was kinda afraid that it's just too much for her to handle. She was on prozac for a while because she would stress out about the tiniest thing like me and my boyfriend being in different rooms would cause her to pace and generally freak out. The vet had me wean her off after a year and she has been doing a lot better, except in situations with lots of activity. My friends are totally dog people and are really understanding the difficult thing is that they usually come over to eat and drink, and drunk people are really bad at following directions.

Admittedly, I haven't been doing as much extra stuff with her lately because I just started a graduate program and I am going to be a first year teacher in a few weeks so things have been kinda crazy. I quit agility a while ago because a disagreement with one of their trainers training style (no, I will not leash pop my dog for not staying at the start line, and yes, I will curse at you if you do it to her for me). I haven't looked into doing nosework officially but we play find the treat games pretty often, maybe I will look into that in the fall when I only have classes one night a week instead of four. Any other suggestions for independence building are appreciated!

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

This dog is the best dog :3:

Also, I've seen that GSD ALL posted in the German shepherd forms before so maybe you recognize her from there? She is super adorable and her trainer/owner seems pretty awesome.

• Locked thread