Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
^ Well said a life less.

More on the inheritance of breed specific behavior, working traits and aggression can be read from these articles:

-Svartberg 2006. Breed-typical behavior in dogs - historical remnants or recent constructs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci 96: 293-313
-Liinamo and van Arendonk 2006. Genetic parameterers of show quality and its relationships with working traits and hip dysplasia in Finnish Houds. 8th World Congress of Genetics Applied to Livestock Production. 13-18.8.200 Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
-Duffy, Hsu and Serpell 2008. Breed differences in canine aggression. Appl. Anim. Behav Sci, doi:10.1016/j.applanium.2008.04.006
-Liinamo, vand den Berg, Leegwater, et al. 2007. Genetic variation in aggression-related traits in Golden Retriever dogs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 104: 95-106.

And there are more.

You might also want to check out the (classic) Russian fox experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Just a quick note from me for now...

Warbadger posted:

Direct genetic, maternal and litter effects on behaviour in German shepherd dogs in Sweden - Erling Strandberga, Department of Evolutionary Biology, Uppsala University, Norbyv. 18 D, 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden

"Additive genetic correlations among Playfulness, Chase-proneness, and Curiosity/Fearlessness were higher (0.54–0.74) than genetic correlations with Aggressiveness (0.29–0.40). Litter variance ratios (c2) were larger than the maternal heritabilities (0.03–0.10). Boldness had a direct heritability estimate of 0.27 and a direct genetic correlation with Aggressiveness of 0.37. We conclude that there is substantial additive genetic variation, that the mother has rather little influence (both genetically and environmentally) and that the litter seems to have a larger influence than the mother for these personality traits. Genetic improvement in these behaviour traits is thus possible."

In short aggressiveness was on the lower side of the genetic correlations found and the largest influence (over the mother) was the litter.
I was going to site research by Strandberg, too, but you beat me to it. Here's "my" paper:
Van der Waaij, Wilsson Strandberg 2008. Genetic analysis of results of a Swedish behavior test on German Shepherd Dogs and Labrador Retrievers. J. Anim Sci. 86:2853-61.

From the abstract:
"Apart from defense drive in GSD, and courage, nerve stability, hardness, and affability in LR, all traits were heritable, with heritabilities ranging from 0.14 for hardness to 0.38 for affability in GSD, and from 0.03 for affability to 0.56 for gun shyness in LR."
"Genetic correlations between courage and defense drive in LR (0.26) and GSD (0.80), between courage and prey drive in LR (0.27) and GSD (0.65), between affability and nerve stability in LR (0.09) and GSD (0.64), between affability and temperament in LR (-0.24) and GSD (0.39), and between cooperation and hardness in LR (0.28) and GSD (-0.67) were significantly different between the breeds."

And a quick edit as well: I'm not saying anything about aggression in GSDs. Just arguing that behavior traits in dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) are partially heritable and not only nurture.

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 12, 2012

• Locked thread