Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My mother grew up with a lovely German shepherd who died young of very, very bad hip displasia. This was back in the 60s-70s. Have the major genetic problems with the breed been fixed at all? I've been considering getting pax a buddy maybe a year from now, and love GSDs but also don't like beloved pets dying early from preventable genetic diseases :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Triangulum posted:

Hip dysplasia isn't really something that a dog can die of, it just cripples the poo poo out of them. Contrary to popular belief, HD really isn't the fault of show breeders. The problem is that when the breed was being developed, some of the founding stock had pretty bad HD as did the early popular sires. So honestly it will always be an issue in the breed but like alifeless said, research your lines and find some who've had minimal issues with HD and you'll have a much better chance at getting a dog would good hips.

My husband and I bought a place out in the country with a full kennel setup and holy poo poo are the dogs ever stoked.

now to build 600ft of fencing to keep vex from disappearing into the back country :gonk:

Yeah, the dog was left unable to walk at age 7-8 and had to be put down :(

She was apparently a fantastic dog though.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
For future reference, what would you guys reccomend for good breeders in the Mid Atlantic region? We wouldn't be getting pax a friend for another year or so, but I've heard that it takes that long to get to know a reputable breeder and reserve puppies

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Triangulum posted:

Really depends on what you want out of the dog. If you're just looking for a nice pet and a buddy for Pax, I probably wouldn't go working line. I'm not too familiar with show lines tbh but I'd look for a breeder that shows in CKC rather than AKC because they penalize pretty heavily for hosed up back legs. If you tell me what state you're in, I'll see if I can find some for you.

We are in Maryland, but I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two for a healthy puppy. I really appreciate it, no rush obviously because Pax still has to grow up a bit first before we even think of adding another dog

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
As soon as exams settle down, I am going to try and post some pictures of my moms childhood GSD, Doina. Apparently Doina was from one of the lines that came over to the US originally back in the day. My mom still has trouble talking about her a bit, which sounds really dumb because it's been like 40 years but everyone loved that dog. She did mention that Doina had a unique personality, and was a bit of a serious dog at times, but I'm looking for a more serious dog to balance out Paxs goofiness (he also, bizarrely, seems to get along really well with shepherds in general...the worst they do if he is being too goofy is just ignore him).

I know it's a ways off, but I figured I would start reading up on the breed in advance as well

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My moms German shepherd Doina hated men (besides my grandpa). My mom had a pool party for her birthday in their above ground pool, and when a guy went up on the diving board to jump in, Doina ran up and tore his swim trunks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am not condoning Doinas actions, and I realize that it could contribute to the stereotype of German shepherds brutally owning people both mentally and physically, but it was apparently very, very funny

• Locked thread