Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pomme
May 8, 2013
After several months of lurking PI, my puppy gushing level has finally flown off the radar and my SA account has been born. I'm hoping this post goes smoothly without any rookie mistakes but if not, please pardon me. Anyways, I love GSDs and I particularly love the insider's look at the different training levels in this thread.

This is Budworth the Gentleman.

Budworth likes to look into the sun while posing like a noble.

Sometimes he goes crazy over chest rubs.

Budworth's favourite hobbies include being cozy in snow, and licking giant ice cubes.

I have literally hundreds of photos of him, if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pomme
May 8, 2013
I adopted him as a wee 6 month old baby at the SPCA. :3: At that time he put on ten pounds because he was quite starved, and I know the SPCA had been pounding him full of food for 21 days before so I hate to imagine how thin he was then. It just breaks my heart, because he was house trained so I believe he may have been someone's pet, and they just decided to let him go "free" in the middle of a Northern Canadian winter.

Anyways, I am pretty sure he's a GSD crossed with something; I have no clue what so the ongoing joke is corgi x GSD. I don't know much about sporting with dogs but I've always thought he would be good with agility since he is so lean.

pomme
May 8, 2013
I love this thread already. I always assumed he was a mutt because I guess I've never known enough about the breed to be able to know that the big, bear-like dog is the trend. He is quite small; most people he meets assume he is a puppy.

I just measured as best as I could and he is about 24" in height and the last time I weighed him he was just over 60 pounds. I just tried my best to get a side view photo of him and I came across as really old side view.

The white strip down his back is after a romp in some spilled flour.

Here is some other photos.

(more of his adventure in baking)

He has a habit of having to eat in the same room that I am sitting in. This is usually what happens when he carries his bowl around. The plastic bags were from my first attempt at teaching him the pull action. They were replaced with rope shortly after this photo.

pomme
May 8, 2013
He is so handsome! I love his coat.

Unfortunately my dog is not a tree fetcher or toy player. He has one type of toy he likes and that is it. He only plays fetch with that one toy, and only inside the house. He doesn't like balls, rope toys, kongs (unless filled with treats) or anything along those lines. :(

pomme
May 8, 2013

wtftastic posted:

My dog (not a GSD) is much the same way. I found that occasionally running around the house like a lunatic with other toys and getting my dog riled up helped encourage him to play (when he's in the mood). All he'll fetch with (or play with) outside are sticks.

This puts the funniest picture in my head. That would probably work with my dog as well.

I don't really mind that he isn't toy-driven. He is generally driven to listen in general because he doesn't have a dominating or stubborn personality. When he is being stubborn, he is easily come over with treats or just dog food.

How old is your pup? Budworth started getting white hairs around his jaw at just over a year old. Now he looks like an old man up-close.

pomme
May 8, 2013
I love your sport photos with Vecna.

"I don't want to bite you!"

I love this face.

pomme
May 8, 2013

Sludge Tank posted:

I met a woman one day who had a really small GSD, and she was telling me she used to have one that was loving enormous, bred from attack dog stock, can't remember the name of the breed... it was something german? Like super seized german shepherds. She said she couldnt keep it because it was just so drat protective. Any ideas on what they could be called?

I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm dreading the day I go through it. Take comfort in the fact you gave Molly a good life.
On the quoted, I've heard king shepherds are larger than most. Is that what you're thinking of?

pomme
May 8, 2013
I love the look of king shepherds but I can't imagine dealing with "regular" GSD shedding plus three inches of length on every single strand of hair that gets stuck to everything I've ever owned ever. :what:
I do agree with Wolfenstein in the sense we were all stupid once. I picked my dog at the pound with an ex because he was cute and we wanted to foster. The dog never left our house and a month later, my ex was kicked out. I was only 19 at the time but was responsible enough to admit that I would just have to deal with it, because ex did not have a job and I wasn't taking the poor dog back when I just needed to work hard to learn to care for him. Looking back, I would not have picked a large breed (though I love large breed dogs!) I was extremely blessed that I have a very low energy shepherd. I wouldn't recommend the risk to someone else. It could have easily gone the way of the helldog.

Skizzles posted:

Also I'm a complete hypocrite because I would be a filthy lying whore if I said looks weren't going to be an important factor in choosing my next dog. :downs: I want a gorgeous dog so sue me. But if I were to come across an ugly dog that had everything else I wanted, then so be it.

I agree with this too. Every few weeks I dream about the day I'll have the time and means to take care of a second large breed dog but in my heart I know that if I met the right dog that was scrawny and ugly as hell, I wouldn't turn it up.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Yes, yes, double post.

Budworth's birthday is coming up. The big five. What do you normally get your dogs as their birthday binge meal? Last year I got him chicken livers but that is kind of boring and not exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pomme
May 8, 2013
This was taken this weekend at my boyfriend's property. It was late, he was still framing, and we were tired. The black border is my broken camera shutter.

Budworth is turning into an old man. I noticed last year when he turned four that he started to get more cuddly. He still has high amounts of energy but when we got home from this weekend he spent almost two days resting. He is back to being his normal annoying self now though.

• Locked thread