Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hey, goons! Meet Sarge!

He is three years old and weighs one hundred and twenty son of a bitching pounds.

He is a Czech German Shepard, which I didn't know was a thing, but he is AKC certified, so there ya go. My wife has an acquaintance who is a dual-military family, with both parents about to go on deployment. They have three kids and three dogs, and this was, amazingly, an unsustainable situation. So now Sarge has joined our family! Not pictured, my 6-yo daughter.

As I said, I didn't know that Czech German Shepards were a thing, and I'm having some difficulty finding info online about them. I am hoping (praying) that some of you guys have had any experience with them. For instance, please for the love of God tell me that 120 lbs is an enormously overweight Czech GSD and that I should put him on a diet right away. I mean this dude is HUGE.

Aside form my concerns about his size, he is absolutely adorbs, yo. Coming form a home with 3 kids, he is a giant softy, very responsive to commands, and perfectly leash trained.

Honestly I seriously doubt that dog is 120lbs but he IS fat as gently caress, please put him on a diet asap. Basically anyone who says I HAVE A 100+ LB GSD is either a liar or has a fat fuckin dog (usually both!!)). Czech GSD just means he's out of bloodlines that originated in Czechoslovakia, it's not a different or unique breed. AKC certification means someone sent in a picture of him or his pedigree and the AKC said "boy that sure is a dog, here have a paper saying this is indeed a dog" aka it means nothing whatsoever. If you have no experience with working dogs or GSDs i highly recommend you find someone who does ASAP and start working extensively on training. GSDs are great dogs but they need a lot of work to stay manageable and keep them from going totally loving insane and ruining everything you ever loved (if they don't your dog fuckin sucks sorry not sorry)

btw its "shepherd" not "shepard"

(hi yes its me triangulum this is my new account. this thread should have been euthed a million years ago because it's nothing but boring as gently caress pet dogs now but w/e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
gdi guys if youre gonna own a breed at least learn how to spell it correctly

its right there in the thread title

but yeah "trainwreck" does tend to describe most rescue gsds. lovely breeding + poor socialization makes for a real fun combination

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Air snapping when excited is pretty common to west euro shepherds (it's practically a breed trait in dutch and belgian shepherds) - a lot of people call it "clacking". Kas does it too and while I'm sure there is some way to train them out of it I honestly have never bothered. You might want to ask the training thread.

There was a discussion about dealing with dog aggression in the puppy thread recently that's worth checking out. A lot of it is pit bull specific so won't necessarily apply to your situation but there is some good info in there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=169#post457323979

The most important thing right now is management. You can't let him keep practicing this behavior because the more he does it, the more ingrained the habit will become so you need to keep him from being around small dogs. The first step in that is changing his exercise schedule so he's no longer accosted by ratdogs. How you go about this depends a lot on where you live but finding a different way to exercise him and stopping the walks is important. I had pretty good luck taking mine to less frequented parks (NOT DOG PARKS) that allowe dogs but require them to be on leash. Going at odd hours helps too, most parks are pretty deserted early in the morning or right before the sun goes down.You can get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of exercise by taking him to a park, putting him on a long line, and playing with a flirt pole rather than taking him on walks anyways and since he sounds pretty prey driven I bet he'd be super into that.

I'd also seriously consider muzzle training him. Calmly wearing a muzzle is a good skill for all dogs but it's especially important since he's fighting dogs he could very easily kill without even trying. Basket muzzles are great because they can eat, drink, and pant through them without any problems. You also need to get his 'leave it' and 'stay' rock loving solid. When you're out and about take a high value tug toy (real fur ones are great for dogs with a ton of prey drive), redirect him onto it and let him tug like crazy while you either cross the street, run past the other dog (be care with this one, I'd only do it in emergencies), or turn around and go in a different direction. It's rewarding, distracting, and it will let him get out some frustration.

Other things to consider:
- Behavior Adjustment training. You can get the book here or take a self directed online course here. I'm a huge fan and use it with my DA dogs a lot. I personally like it because it teaches the dog ways to handle it's emotions and teaching self calming behaviors.

- Counter Conditioning/Desensitization. Here is a quick rundown but there are absolute shitloads of books and websites explaining CC/DS protocols indepth. It's probably the most popular way to deal with fear and aggression among positive trainers.

- Get REALLY REALLY on top of yelling at other people to get their loving dogs the second you see them coming. Most people are morons and will just laugh and go "it's ok, he's friendly" but often yelling "MINE ISN'T" is enough to get their rear end in gear, especially with a big black GSD.

In all honesty what works best for your dog will probably be some combination of all of these techniques. Experiment and see what works best for him.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Flirt pole is the poo poo and any gsd owner who doesn't have one is doing the self a huge disservice

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Vex thinks the new goats are super fascinating and doesn't understand why I won't let him chase them just a lil bit

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
White Swiss shepherds (and white shepherds in general) are garbage dogs with absolutely terrible nerves and temperament problems. It's cool that she's somewhat less hosed up than she used to be but tbh there's like a 99% chance she'd had lovely fear problems even if given the worlds most perfect puppy raising experience because fear problems are so endemic in the """"breed""""

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
What a dignified old man :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
nothing is cooler than screaming at goats

naps are alright tho

• Locked thread