Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks so much for posting this!!! :dance:

Now everyone get busy posting about your dogs. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

notsowelp posted:

I'm curious which breeders the PI GSD nerds rate? Also, which GSDs from the past do you favour? Who would be your 'ideal' dog, physically?

This is the dog I'm currently smitten over:

http://www.wildhauskennels.com/heidi.htm

Her picture's a little young, so I'm guessing she's filled out a bit since then, but I just love her, and I love her sire. I think part of the reason I'm so taken, though, is that there's a chance she'll be ready to breed by the time we're looking for a puppy, and that would be awesome.

I also really love this guy (Ikon, his actual page doesn't have the stacked shot):

http://www.adlerstein.com/AdlerSteinMales.html

He looks a little short-bodied there, but I think it's because his stack isn't quite right, the one leg should be pulled back more.

I tend to go through phases where I like different shapes, but I think that comes from looking at lots of weird dogs, so then you like the less weird ones, you know what I'm saying? Like, I LOVE the coats/front ends of West German dogs, but I swear to you, they breed them to have a rear for a dog 3x smaller than the front. So I'll get a kick of looking at West German breeders, find some I like with more normal bodies, and think they look absolutely beautiful. Then I go back and look at working line dogs, and go, "Oh..."

As far as breeders, Wildhaus is my first pick. Lately, though, I've been following a couple other breeders on Facebook, MAINLY because PUPPIES!!! :swoon: Thing of it is, though, I'm not sure how I feel about either of them. They health test like MAD, do tons of activities with their dogs, raise the puppies well, and both donate dogs to working dog programs. But at least the one breeder here in IL started a line with a dog with questionable background, and she has about a billion litters planned when she doesn't even have the one currently on the ground spoken for. The other breeder I think I like more, but still have my doubts. Anyway, here they are:

http://www.granvillegsd.com/ IL breeder

http://www.schroederhausgermanshepherds.com/ WI breeder (that I just noticed has another litter planned for the same bitch that has puppies now, this upcoming spring... :smith: )

Needless to say, as hard as it is to wait, nothing is ever QUITE right when these puppies are being shoved in my face, so I'm sure I'll end up waiting for Wildhaus.

Edit: I forgot to add, you HAVE to watch the video of Ikon doing bitework, it's hilarious. You can hear him make contact and he continually knocks the guy over. :haw:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 12, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

GUYS!

notsowelp posted:

I'm curious which breeders the PI GSD nerds rate? Also, which GSDs from the past do you favour? Who would be your 'ideal' dog, physically?

Go back to this, it's a good topic, and I want to see other people's favorite dogs/breeders. :colbert:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

I'm definitely no expert in structure in the slightest (that's why I wanted you to do the breed post :colbert:)

Oh, please. :colbert: You did a better job than I would have been able to! For one, I don't have the time these days to devote to long posts like that (even though I want to) and for two, I don't even have a GSD yet. :sigh:

Besides, I don't think it really matters if you're an "expert" in structure or not, I'm definitely not. I've just looked at a LOT of dogs. And besides that, everyone has a personal opinion, and even someone with zero knowledge can look at a dog and see what they like. The only way to get a better eye is to keep looking at dogs and dogs and dogs and dogs so people should post more dogs. :colbert:

I'm really curious what other breeders people like, too. Like, where did all of your dogs come from? What current lines do you prefer? Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with show breeders who are doing the right thing and breeding for a more stable structure. There ARE people out there trying to fix things. I especially like some of the better structured West German dogs, they're just so pretty. :3:

Teetotalitarian posted:

When I was a little kid, our next-door neighbor family had a retired black and tan police dog GSD (the dad of the family was a jail warden) named Targo, and he was the sweetest old man dog I ever knew. Our back yards were separated by a big rock overhang of sorts and a wooden barrier wall with a gap between the two, and whenever Targo was out back and he heard us outside, he'd stick his big black snout between the wall and the rock to be petted :3: I think I'll always have a sweet spot for GSDs simply because Targo was such an excellent example of the breed. Back then, GSDs and dobermans had a particularly nasty reputation (it was kind of the BAD NASTY AGGRESSIVE DOG flavor of the month where I live) but I didn't believe it because :swoon: Targo :swoon:
One of my favorite childhood memories is sitting on the deck out back and suddenly noticing a polite, patient silky black schnozzle waiting to be petted. I wish I had pictures, but I was like five years old and not smart enough to figure that the schnoz wouldn't be there forever!

This TOTALLY reminds me of a friend I had in grammar school! They had two dogs, Gus was an adult, and Bevis (yeah, the kids named him, haha) was a puppy. :3: They were such awesome dogs!!! They were out of police lines, too. They are what got me started loving GSDs in the first place. :3:

Here, I'm posting this guy again, because I think it got missed. You HAVE to watch the video, it's HILARIOUS. He has SUCH a hard bite, you can hear it make contact, and he keeps knocking the helper over. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Vecna's from a sort of :banjo: background.

Dude! That's pretty much the best accidental litter ever. I'm shocked how good mom looks for being WGS, NOTHING like the average you'd see here. And dad is handsome as poo poo!! Czech, maybe? For two pet dogs, you couldn't ask for something better to happen (as far as testing, working, etc.)

I swear, I want to live in Germany. :sigh: They are so far beyond the US in terms of dog care. Although, I got into it once with a woman that just could NOT understand why breeders in the US would need to put a spay/neuter clause in pet homes. They just have no concept of our pet overpopulation and byb/mill epidemic. :(

a life less posted:

I don't really have many well formed opinions on what I like in GSDs, but here's a dog I think is pretty nifty. And I like plush coats, okay.

His name is Kastle and I think he's probably about 18 months old, so he has yet to fill out entirely. I just like how moderate he is. Also, he's only about 55 pounds, but he seems to have the presence of a much bigger dog. I think he's put together quite well. I don't know poo poo about GSD kennels, but he's Kastle van het Basjes Huis

Couldn't find anything about his kennel, but he's from a long line of sporting dogs. :3: Looks like the line from the sire were mainly shown, too, lots of V ratings with the ScHIII's. He's a little more angling than I typically like, but that's from the show line in him, you're going to see more of that. Looks like the litter they'd done, though, was probably looking to make them more moderate. I'd guess they got more of that in other dogs of the litter, I'll have to look into it later! Thanks for posting him, this is fun. :iamafag: Also, I love plushy coats, too. :3: A lot of the dogs I like throw them, so I'm hoping maybe when I get a puppy, I'll get lucky! People typically want normal coats.

Huge Liability posted:

Does he look like he needs a proper groom? I could probably convince my mum to have him groomed.

If that's a recent picture, he's blowing his coat big time. A good brushing and combing would help, but a bath and a blow-out would get it out better. Is he used to going to the groomer, though? GSDs are known to get really anxious at the groomer if they're not used to going, so don't be surprised if he acts nuts when he's normally good. I'd say if you're worried at all about him freaking out, working on it at home would be good enough. You could mist his coat with a spray bottle to make it damp, then towel dry to help loosen the hair. :)

Triangulum posted:

I would guess that's a purebred GSD but it's really hard to tell with some white GSDs since they aren't bred to the standard. There's an absolutely asinine amount of variation in them. I know one who's so tall his head comes up to my armpit.

I had no idea white GSDs were so screwed up. :( From what I knew looking at them mildly years ago, they were like white versions of American show dogs. Really sad that they're so all over the place.

quote:

Your opinion was "it's sad" and condensing the last two paragraphs of the history section into a sentence.

And yep you got me, I'm not contributing any infomation to the thread at all :lol:

GIVE IT A REST! :argh: Everyone else has taken discussion elsewhere, you're awesome, and I agree with you on everything you've been posting, but enough is enough! I'm stressed enough in my "real" life, I don't need it in PI, too, damnit. :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Warbadger posted:

Coincidentally the creator of the breed disagreed and could have cared less about coat color. "A pleasing appearance is desirable, but it can not put the dog's working ability into question." is about as close to a discussion on coloration as he ever came.

I thought the reasoning for the darker pigment was to stand out against a flock of sheep? Obviously you always want to put working ability over color, but is it really not in Stephanitz's book? When I've heard people talk about the standard and color, I thought that's what they were referencing.

I really don't think there's a reason to amend the standard, now. If you can find the abilities and structure you're looking for in a dog who fits IN to the standard, what need is there for you to accept new colors all of a sudden? The only thing I would personally allow would be treating it as an outcross. Have the AKC and UKC (since both accept GSDs) allow outcrossing to specific dogs, be it white GSDs or "pandas" in order to expand the gene pool. Only thing with that, though, is finding dogs that DON'T fit in to standard that are actually still healthy. Opening the gene pool up will only do so much if the dogs are already genetic wrecks. Not like that adds anything good.

Anyway, I guess as I got to writing all that out, I wound up changing my mind. v:shobon:v haha I dunno, GSDs as a whole are a whole big issue, that's why I decided not to get into breeding them in the future.

haha I'm so sorry I was such an rear end this morning! I had just woken up excited to read new posts and saw the same problems continuing and was super tired. I didn't mean to be mean, I feel like I was scolding a child or something, I'm sorry!

Skizzles posted:

This is why I personally don't agree with it. This and "panda" shepherds. Ugh.

And King Shepherds, and Shiloh Shepherds...

Apparently, everyone in the world has an opinion on what the "perfect" shepherd is, based on their BYB dog they had growing up. :rolleyes:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

El Gar posted:

Here is my GSD story. During college I worked at a commercial appliance repair shop. We had a shop dog named Rider and he was the friendliest dog ever. A real buddy. He was your pal if you came in through the shop. If you came in through the fenced back lot he was not your buddy. He was loud and barked. One day I got to work and everyone was having a good laugh cause some thief had hopped the back fence looking for some scrap metal to steal or something. Rider chased him into a dumpster and the guy had to call 911 to have the cops come rescue him.

What a good dog.

Waaaiiiitttt a minute..... did Gar just say something nice about a dog? :3: This seriously made my day.

Warbadger posted:

White shepherds were present (though a rarer color) from the very beginning of the breeding

I had heard about this...

quote:

A belief held at the time was that the white shepherds were the source of many genetic problems including "fading out" that caused darker shepherd’s coats to pale into an light color and also a sign of albinism and "disease".

and this, but I guess I didn't know as much about the *~*drama*~* around it. I'd like to point out, though, that culling unwanted dogs is absolutely not a new thing or restricted to the Nazis. :( When they started creating Czechoslovakian Vlcaks in the 50s there was a LOT of culling going on. Since the dogs were being used for actual military work, and they were being bred back to wolves who have a lovely working temperament, only a few of the puppies in a litter would make the cut. :( Even now, you'll get lovely breeders hiding "mistakes" in their litters like puppies with dwarfism by not admitting they were born or just saying they mysteriously "died" because they don't want people thinking their lines are unhealthy. Obviously, the breed clubs are all trying to fix this, and I can't imagine it's a problem in the US since there are only a handful of owners/breeders here, but in parts of Europe there are still some shady people.

Triangulum posted:

Various clubs have been in a huge battle with the AKC over the current interpretation of the standard. Some clubs have wanted aspects of the standard changed to make it clearer that frogdogs are not in fact the ideal GSD and wanted to implement German-style breed surveys before GSDs can be bred but they haven't really gotten anywhere. Some other breed clubs are having similar battles with the AKC over changing the standard and are getting precisely nowhere.

They actually HAVE changed the UKC standard!! :dance: :toot:

Revised Standard posted:

Revised May 1, 2012

The goals and purposes of this breed standard include: to furnish guidelines for breeders who wish to maintain the quality of their breed and to improve it; to advance this breed to a state of similarity throughout the world; and to act as a guide for judges. Breeders and judges have the responsibility to avoid any conditions or exaggerations that are detrimental to the health, welfare, essence and soundness of this breed, and must take the responsibility to see that these are not perpetuated.

Any departure from the following should be considered a fault, and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog and on the dog’s ability to perform its traditional work.

The tendencies toward exaggeration and steep angles are unacceptable. German Shepherd Dogs with unstable temperaments, sharply angulated croups, overly long front and rear pasterns, and hocks that are weak and wobbly are poor representations of this working breed. UKC is unwilling to condone the validity of using exaggerated specimens of this breed in a breeding program and, to preserve its health and vibrancy, cautions judges about awarding wins to these representatives.

This is my absolute favorite line, "The outline of the German Shepherd Dog is made up of smooth curves rather than angles," because that's how I view my ideal dog, and this whole thing is why I'm going to be showing my next dog whenever I get it. :3: Even if I decide to spay, the UKC has an altered dog competition so I can still get showing experience for the future. :dance:

Going back to CsVs (since there is so much overlap) the US breed club is actually working towards the same things in regards to breeding rights. As it is, you have to have a whole list of health testing done before a litter will be allowed to be posted with the club, and refusal to do this will get you kicked out (and already has with at least one person). They're also developing a competition similar to Schutzhund, but tailored towards CsVs with more emphasis on trailing and endurance. I love, love, love that people are becoming more concerned with these sorts of things in the US, makes me hopeful for dog owners here. :)

quote:

That being said, the reason most of us disagree with white shepherds, Panda Shepherds, Shilo Shepherds, and King Shepherds being recognized as their own breed (or being bred at all) is because they're being bred only for color (in the case of the first two) or size (in the case of the latter two). GSDs already have tons of issues with soundness and intentionally breeding them larger and larger exacerbates this problem. Whites, pandas, blues, livers, and goldens aren't being intentionally bred to improve the breed, they're being bred for their "rare" coat coloration and that's it. We've already seen what happens to GSDs being bred for looks alone, that's how the show strains got so hosed up.

If the standard is going to be changed it should be to help improve the physical and tempermental soundess of the breed not because other coat colors are nifty and weird guilt about ~eugenics~ and Nazis. Likewise, if the weird varients of GSDs are going to be their own breed, they need to be working towards a purpose besides "they look cool".

Yep, all of this. :(

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Warbadger posted:

I agree that we should strive for changes to the rules that would help improve the physical and temperamental soundness of the breed. So why support retaining a *change* that did and continues to do the exact opposite in any case it actually applies? This rule does nothing but define one of the existing coat colors as "not nifty enough" regardless of any actual consideration of health. Every time a dog is excluded based on coat color rather than health it damages the breed. Sure, you won't save the breed in one stroke by making a change like this but it at least has the potential to help unfuck things a little bit in cases where dogs are actually being selected for health.

We already talked about it, it's not that the color's "not nifty enough," it's that the darker colors are preferred to lighter ones based on visibility against livestock and snow. I see absolutely zero problem with leaving these lighter colors as a fault. You realize that people that breed responsibly WILL use dogs with faults if what they bring to the table outweighs them, right? Discounting show breeders (who are always breeding for "looks", so hardly fall into the responsible sector as far as this discussion goes) anyone doing what they are supposed to are looking at genetic health (weighing pros and cons of their lines and what's been tested for), sound structure, and working ability/temperament. If a dog is an awesome example of the breed but has a splash of white or washed out color, they're still going to be used.

As far as PURE white dogs goes, I'm sorry that I'm bias here, but from what I've seen, these dogs tend to follow more (in the US at least) the American Showline type and temperament and are bred predominantly for show. If this is the case, then, yes, people are breeding them just for the color. It might just be me, but I haven't seen these dogs going high level sport, and I'm guessing it would be a far stretch to find a white dog that could compete both temperamentally and structurally with working line dogs. If the goal is to continually improve your lines, you would want a particularly spectacular dog to breed with and I just can't see it coming from these white lines.

The comparison to those other types of shepherds is just based on the breeder's motives. Color, "family companions", oversized "old world shepherds", these are all just people selling family pets without regard to what the original goal of the breed was, and are only looking to produce puppies without proving them outside of conformation first.

Warbadger posted:

the ideological product of a mass murdering regime

Dude, give it a rest! It doesn't matter who made the revision, just that it happened. If it was just some group that happened to not like white dogs, you wouldn't be able to use the same argument, there's nothing "evil" about it. :rolleyes:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I was JUST thinking about how I forgot that!!! I would LOVE to!!! Thanks!!! I have NO idea how it works, though.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

I need the email address linked to your Amazon account and that's it. You can download the Kindle reader for your PC here. You'll have the book for 14 days but I can relend it if that's not long enough apparently not, I can only loan it once.

Ok, I'll talk to my husband. After this week, I'm off until the 3rd, so I'll probably read it then. :dance: That is SO awesome, I've always wanted to pick up a hard copy, but it's so expensive!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Is Shelby a mix? His face almost looks like a Mal rather than a GSD.

I think it's the white and that the dog is squinting. I see what look like pure white GSDs end up in husky rescue all the time as mixes because they wind up looking so similar in their faces. :3:

Triangulum posted:

I was looking over the bitches Wildhaus is considering breeding down the line and man, Maika is a nice looking puppy.

Sable dogs are so pretty. :3: I'm curious to see how her and her sister grow up, they're at the height of their puppy awkwardness in their pictures.

I was going back and fawning over Heidi some more, and I realized of all the puppies they kept, they haven't held any back from Eris. Granted, they'd only bred her twice, but I just thought it was interesting. It's also a shame that their girl Jazz that they imported wound up with health problems, she seemed like she had a lot of working potential, and she's so pretty. :(

They've been killing me not posting their next breeding plans, btw. :argh: They've had the same message up since the summer, and obviously it won't be a fall breeding, fall is over. :colbert: I'm dying to see who they pick, I love following puppies like that. I'm also curious how a litter this winter/spring will affect them breeding this time next year, that's when we might be in the puppy market... :ohdear: :f5:

Edit: Also, when they don't post anything, I get constantly tempted by this. :argh:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 20, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

haha I love how Venca slooowwlllyyy scoots his sits and downs back in the direction the ball's going to go. :haw:

As someone who owns a husky and not a GSD, it's really funny to me to see what you're considering "sloppy". Venca working for his absolute favorite reward is like Buddy working for a moderate reward (low level treat like cheerios or going outside in the morning when he's still tired.) He seriously bounds in the air and shakes he gets so excited about good food and treats that it takes everything he has to keep his self control when I ask him to, and he's nearly 11! Long story short, I can't wait for my next dog to be one that actually wants to train and listen, as opposed to one that just tolerates it to get what he wants, haha.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Wow, he's so handsome!! It's hard to believe he's only 6 months, he already has 10lb on my dog. :stare: He's going to be stunning as an adult! Happy Birthday, Vecna! :toot:

So, I'm feeling incredibly guilty for :f5:ing the Wildhaus site waiting for breeding news. Seems like they've had a bad year, just noticed one of their dogs passed away just at the end of the year, so that makes 4 for 2012. :( Guessing they have other things on their minds, at the moment...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, I have some puppy related decisions to mull over! :ohdear: I can't believe that puppy time is actually coming up enough for me to seriously think of this stuff! :toot:

Here's my current dilemma. My absolute first choice in breeders is Wildhaus Kennels in Michigan. I love the dogs, I love the experience of the breeder, I love her opinions on health, genetics, and structure. However, it's been a long time, now, since they've updated about their future breeding plans, so I'm sorta stuck on that front. I have NO idea if they're going to be planning any litters around the time we'll be ready for a dog, and then I have no idea if we'll "make the cut" since demand for puppies from that kennel is so high.

I've been following a few other breeders in the mean time, one of which is practically right around the corner. Granville German Shepherds is actually in another suburb of Chicago, about 45 minutes away from me. The girl is relatively new to breeding, but is super dedicated to health in her dogs and tests their temperaments in all sorts of different activities (sort of the, "Do what the dog loves," mentality as opposed to focusing on JUST SchH or obedience or whatever). She also has donated dogs to use as service animals, and it seems like at least one dog out of every litter is used for that sort of thing. She also shows her dogs in the UKC which is something I want to get involved with, so she would be an awesome resource since I have NO idea how to get started, and she's even around here so she'd be at the same shows.

There's even a litter next fall that I'm really interested in. The sire is out of her first litter, and not only is he beautiful (there's an even better picture of him here), his temperament sounds really great for what I want and would match well with the dam, I think. I want a dog that's going to be interested in obedience and nosework, but that's going to settle well in the house, be good with kids, and especially good with other dogs since I want to be able to use my next dog as a demo dog in my training business. I think it's really possible to get what I want out of this litter.

Things to consider: since this breeder is still relatively new, there's obviously going to be some concern with puppy selection. I DO know that she's working with some other friends who are breeders and trainers and she's doing the biosensor program with the puppies as well as doing temperament testing to place them in the right homes. I might not get as much breeder "instinct" as I would with Wildhaus, however, that comes from breeding multiple litters.

There's also a bit of a concern with the history of the sire. His dam was also the breeder's dog, and it looks like her line is pretty unknown, at least on paper. She's the first one to be health tested. It looks like her other dogs, and the ones she's using, are more known, sorta like she's learning as she goes, but there's still that little bit of unknown background. With Wildhaus, the pedigrees are filled with health testing and high SchH titles. I can't decide how I feel about it. On the one hand there's a lot of unknowns, but on the other, this dog is another generation removed, him and his mother were health tested, the dogs are all tested for DM for the litter (dam is N/N, sire is N/A).

So, yeah, I don't know what to do!! I still have time to decide, but I would hate to miss out on a good dog by dragging my feet. I know I'm going to wait at least a little longer to see if anything pops up with Wildhaus, but I just don't know!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I already have! ;) Wildhaus already knows what I'm looking for and when, and is going to contact me if they might have something for me. I just contacted Granville, too, but she had yet to get back to me. I have talked to her before, though, and she really seems like she wants to learn and do the right things. She's just pretty new, and then there's the unknown stuff I was talking about v:shobon:v

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

The sire is lovely to look at, though I can't say I'm crazy about the look of the dam. You may get a better breeder experience from someone smaller, assuming her dogs are of equal quality to Wildhaus. Since they're probably not, I see your conundrum.

That's also a kinda lovely, top down picture. Here's a better one:
http://www.granvillegsd.com/kashmirs-accomplishments.html
although, I still would prefer a little more slope to the rear.

Yeah, that is really what it boils down to. The one breeder is better quality, the other would be more support. :sigh: Wildhaus did invite us to come meet the dogs if we're ever in MI, but it's pretty far. We were thinking of MAYBE planning a small trip over summer, but who knows?

Also, congrats, Aslan!! :toot: That is such a cute picture. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

...makes me think they're basically nice looking show dogs v:shobon:v I'm kind of a weirdo I guess because I honestly don't like seeing conformation titles in GSDs at all.

Is there something wrong that, on paper, I don't have a problem with this? :shobon: I think I've gotten a skewed view of things from dealing with CsVs for so long, though. With a smaller breeding pool and an attitude that doesn't necessarily lend itself to high titling, I've quit being so strict in "ALL PARENTS MUST BE SchH TITLED!!! :black101: " I've also come to learn that there are a LOT of people out there who will purchase an already titled dog just to breed them, then there's also great people who know what they're doing and know how to gauge personality, who don't have the resources to title their dogs so high. I'm also actually interested in getting involved in UKC showing since they amended the standard, so it would be good to have a good contact with that.

At any rate, she got back to me last night, and unless a puppy pops out at the time with a fantastically stellar personality that isn't already claimed, I think I'm going to end up passing. She was absolutely up front about the personalities of the dogs involved, and didn't try to "sell" the litter at all, which I absolutely love. But, Coltrane's dam has issues with being OVERLY protective (although Coltrane himself has a great personality) and she was describing Cashmere's temperament as very husky-like (which is why she hasn't worked at getting her higher titles), which I'm fine training, but the whole goal of getting GSD from a breeder, aside from health, was a very biddable temperament. :(

Seriously crossing my fingers that Wildhaus has something for us next year! :ohdear:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I am soooo glad about Saber!!! :dance: I also feel bad that I had NO idea that was you. :downs:

Chachikoala posted:

There are also a ton of GSD rescues all over the US. Most of which are foster based, so the foster home typically has a good feel for the dogs temperament.

Food for thought...

Like the others already said, it's a matter of health, temperament, and longevity for me. I know some health issues can already be known in an adult dog, but having personally known a GSD that suffered through Degenerative Mylopathy (DM) I really, really want to minimize any health risks that don't crop up until late. It's kind of sad to say, too, but even well bred shepherds don't have fantastic lifespans, let alone the BYB or milled dogs. Investing in a dog that's going to hopefully put in a lifetime of work, I need a younger dog that's still going to have a predictable temperament. Puppies in rescue might have a predisposition to problems down the line that no one is aware of, and an adult would have to have very minimal issues so I wouldn't have to spend so much time "fixing" problems instead of just establishing the behaviors I want to work with. I have very specific needs that are hard to meet- good with young children, good with cats, socially passive without being fearful (i.e. not caring if another dog "puffs up" or is reactive), and female. This is a LOT to ask of a rescue. That said, I still constantly comb Petfinder, and I follow a few GSD rescues on Facebook. I'm totally open to rescue, I'm just not banking on finding a dog that fits my needs.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I remember feeling bad for him and wishing I could help, I'm really glad everything worked out for him!! He's so handsome. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, Wildhaus finally posted about their spring litter, and I have to say, I'm roundabout excited. They bred Eris, who is a much more "serious" dog than their Raven, who is the other breeding female at the moment. This litter is going to be a bunch of super serious, high intensity dogs, which would probably not land me in the running for a puppy. So, the way I look at it, if they're doing this super sports-driven litter right now, then in the fall/winter, they'll probably breed Raven and maybe aim for less super sporty dogs, right? :iamafag: I'm just hope, hope, hoping at this point, we're getting so close! :ohdear: (Well, close if you consider I've been planning on this dog since probably 2008...)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ShadowStalker posted:

I need to video his down because he throws himself violently down when training the "down" command and its kinda funny.

That sounds insanely cute, you definitely need a video of it. :3:

Stregone posted:

First class went pretty well. Shelby went 3 times, each time was noticably better. First time she tried to eat the instructor, had to really coax her to eat anything, let alone sniff around to find it in a box. 2nd time she was markedly less anxious about the instructor, still weary though, only had a little trouble finding the treats. 3rd time was even less of a fuss.

She was also pretty darn quiet in the crate, I was totally surprised.

Think there's something else she might eat easier while out like that? I have the same problem if I ever want to do training with Buddy (husky) on walks because if it were up to him, walking and sniffing and pulling and being an rear end would be much more rewarding than any food, unless it's something crazy good. Sounds like as she learns the game, though, the fun of Finding A Thing will become more of a reward. I love hearing about Nosework, I can not wait to get involved with it in the future!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Sutureself posted:

I think my (parents') dog Barkley would love nose work! His mom was a GSD, and it looks like she got knocked up by a kelpie mix before being dropped off at the animal shelter. He's pretty low energy but real sharp and eager to please. Unfortunately, searching for 'nose work West Palm Beach' just brings up a bunch of rhinoplasty, because that's what you do in South Florida.

One time I lost my keys in the back yard and he found them for me.

http://www.k9nosework.com/

If you're looking at the actual sport of K9 Nosework, you can find certified instructors here. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh man, you guys. We went to the big, annual IKC dog show in Chicago today, and I saw SO many GSDs! I have such horrible puppy fever, now!! We got to see the GSDs showing, but we saw some awesome working line dogs, too. The temperaments were night and day. The show dogs were all kinda high strung (and had a hard time with their wobbly rears :( ), but the working dogs were all completely rock solid. They were super happy to meet everyone, and they could give a poo poo about all the chaos. I even mentioned to one SAR handler that a GSD was going to be our next dog, and he just raved about how great they are with families when he saw our son in his stroller. :3: I SERIOUSLY CAN'T WAIT YOU GUYS.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

He's so cute!!! :3: Also, I'm kinda jealous you have weather nice enough for the beach. :argh: I really hope my next dog loves the water, Buddy thinks it's going to melt him.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:stare: I thought they weren't supposed to be able to pick those up??

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's awesome, great job, you two! It's great to see such a fun activity help with reactivity. Good luck in your next class!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

"One Female Puppy Available"

Why don't I just have a spare $1500 lying around? :(

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

I'd probably drive the hour, if these people really seemed to know what they're talking about. No one is going to force you to "correct" your dog if you don't want to and I'm sure there's plenty more to be learned there. Plus, corrections shouldn't come until a dog is well versed in an exercise, so it'd probably give you a good long while before you have to decide whether you want to use them.

Agility is also awesome. IPO is so danged demanding.

I was seriously going to say exactly this. Especially if they don't use corrections on younger dogs, it sounds like they know what they're doing. You can always use the club to get down the basics and either work with them and ALL learn more R+ methods, or at THAT point switch to the other club.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

E: What do you guys think of this breeder http://www.gildafk9.com/index.html

This was actually one of the breeders I was looking in to! :haw: I still really love their dogs, but they seem to have SUCH an emphasis on actual WORKING dogs for police and SAR that one, I don't know how much they would want to give a puppy to a family, and two, they might just plain be too intense for what I'm looking for. But I love their dogs, and I love their health testing. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:stare: I can't tell if he's fat, or just has a huge body with stick legs and a pin head.

Aside from being a demo dog, I'd like to get involved with nosework and maybe competitive obedience. Temperament for our house is most crucial, though. Great with dogs, great with kids, and prey drive that can be managed since we have a cat. Not TOO worried about that, though, because we've done great teaching our husky to reign it in. At any rate, I know the drive they breed for with working K9s is really high, and I'd have more lunch with a breeder aiming for a more stable temperament.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Crooked Booty posted:

Any thoughts on this breeder? I like to daydream about future GSDs. :allears:

I think you forgot a link. ;)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Too funny! I thought they looked familiar, Wildhaus used one of their studs for their current litter. :haw:
http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is really awesome!! You'll have to report back, I'm SUPER interested in positive based SchH training.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Venca looks like he had a blast! :3: Was it fun? How'd he do?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aaaahhh!! Sooooo I've been doing some sleuthing, and it looks like Wildhaus' next litter will probably be with Heidi, whom I absolutely love. :3: They say their next litter will ideally be fall/winter, which would be too soon to breed Eris again. They've also just done a bunch of health testing on Heidi, and have mentioned getting her SchH titled over the summer. They've also updated her info and pictures! UGH, between this and a CsV litter slated for winter that I'm SUPER interested in, I'm REALLY hoping we'll be able to add a puppy here pretty soon... :ohdear:

Here's a new picture of Heidi:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I know, right?!? And her temperament sounds SPOT ON for what I'm looking for. It's so great to see a dog with drive that can keep a clear head.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, what's it costing you to work Vecna? I hear schutzhund is a really expensive endeavor, and the reason I put it on the back burner is that I'm afraid of the financial commitment.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

All your dogs are soooo preeetttyyyyy. I'm seriously dog jealous today. :saddowns:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Right now I'm taking two different classes with the same trainer: a SchH tracking class and a bite work & OB class. Tracking costs $125 for 5 weeks ($25/class), lasts 2.5 hrs, and has four students and he usually throws in some bitework for the GSD people once the non-SchH people leave. Bite work/OB costs $20/class, lasts 2-3 hrs and has anywhere from 1 to 3 students. The classes are technically group classes but all instruction is done individually so it's more like a private class where you get to watch other private classes afterwards. Overall I feel like it's a super reasonable price especially considering he charges about 1/5 what pet dog trainers charge for private classes.

Going back to this, if I'm reading it right... That would be $45 a week, and the 3 parts are spread over 2 classes/sessions? That does sound cheaper than here, from what I can gather. The one place here breaks it down to the 3 parts every week, $30 for the first, $20 for the second, and $10 for the third, and it's drop in, pay as you go classes, so the most you pay a week is $60 for all three parts.

The other place (which I kinda like better) is $15 for obedience only, $35 for obedience and protection, but I'm not sure how they work in tracking. Since I've been looking in to prices for training in terms of per-week lately, all of this really doesn't sound as "bad" as I'd previously thought. I might still only work on obedience and tracking, but I don't think bitework is as much out of the question as I thought. The only thing is I want to be REALLY sure I'm going to stick with it before I do anything related to bitework, because I really, really don't want a half trained dog that is used to Biting a Thing that all of a sudden doesn't get to go out and do that anymore! But you're making it look sooooo fuuuunnnn.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

UGH my phone ate my reply. :argh:

Anyway, one of the big reasons I like the one club is the experience of the people and handlers. The other club is more like a small group just interested in the sport that train every week, this group is an actual GSD club. They're also big on making training a positive experience. One thing I don't like is they allow pinch collars for their obedience class, but you can't win them all. Here's their website, if you're curious:
http://www.toplinegsdc.com/

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 31, 2013

• Locked thread